ECT How alone is Grace alone salvation?

How alone is Grace alone salvation?

• Total voters

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Honestly... I dislike doing this... but you're all dressed up all neat and slick... but the end game is the same... You say you don't boast in yourself and are biblical...

But, friendo... you're not doing Jesus any favors by encouraging others to doubt their salvation, and you are exalting your obedience, while simultaneously saying you are humble.

In other words... James 2:10 Chump.

Only chumps give others false assurances, such as telling them that grace rules out repentance and obedience to the great commands given by Christ to His church. Matthew 22:35-40

Shasta

You are correct. To walk in the Spirit is sanctification, blessing, and privilege; not "works."

I am thankful we have found a vital area of agreement. :)

Every time some people see "works" they automatically think of the Pharisees performing good deeds of the Mosaic law to obtain a standing of righteousness apart from Christ. I do not think James meant that, or Paul either in many instances.

Yes this just might be the first time we have agreed on something

Shasta

This (bolded) is the core of the problem and the reason for the MAD argument against bearing the fruit of the Spirit. They do not believe Christians of this age are born again. They think that will only occur amongst the Jews when Christ returns again.

Thus, according to them, Christians of today do not possess resurrected and changed hearts, minds, or wills as John 3 teaches. They are simply given a "free pass" of grace, that frees them from all penalty of sin . . which is a perversion of God's grace altogether.

Martin Luther called that thinking antinomianism.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Every time some people see "works" they automatically think of the Pharisees performing good deeds of the Mosaic law to obtain a standing of righteousness apart from Christ. I do not think James meant that, or Paul either in many instances.

Yes this just might be the first time we have agreed on something

If a wrong view of Sola Gratia is taken, it invariably results in lawlessness.

And we all know the warnings from Paul regarding lawlessness! (II Thessalonians 2:3-12)

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
[MENTION=7292]Nang[/MENTION] , [MENTION=9592]Shasta[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=14521]God's Truth[/MENTION] , sitting in a tree, J-U-D-G-I-N-G

2 Co. 5:7

glorydaz

As far as Luther, agree. As far as works, I'd hope you agree. Ephesians 2:10, to me, is pretty clear that works do take place in a believer, some time in his/her walk. I believe scripture is clear that a new creation produces that which is in keeping with it, not to get or keep salvation, but because of being in Him. -Lon

Yes, and there isn't a one of us who should be claiming them as our works. I've watched God do incredible things, and I may have been there when He did them, but it certainly wasn't my doing.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

Nang,

I looked back through the posts and you have received [MENTION=13959]meshak[/MENTION] 's likes. I am utterly shamed and my error has been exposed. We all know how "biblically accurate" (I'm dodging lightning as I type this) Meshak is. I'm regretful I didn't see it.

# Congratulations on a job well undone

Shasta

Honestly... I dislike doing this... but you're all dressed up all neat and slick... but the end game is the same... You say you don't boast in yourself and are biblical...

But, friendo... you're not doing Jesus any favors by encouraging others to doubt their salvation, and you are exalting your obedience, while simultaneously saying you are humble.

In other words... James 2:10 Chump.

So your interpretation of James 2:10 is that believers do not have to obey God? That does not sound right. In context, James appears to be talking about a people who are hypocritical in that they selectively obey certain commandments while ignoring others completely. In effect, they had set up an eclectic system of laws rules for themselves. What they ignored was the essence of what the law was all about.

In verse 8 James says what the essential thing is:

"Yes indeed, it is good when you obey the royal law as found in the Scriptures: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” (James 2:8)

If we miss this law we have missed all of it.

12 So whatever you say or whatever you do, remember that you will be judged by the law that sets you free. 13 There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when he judges you. (James 2:12-13)

Jesus told us to love God and our neighbor for the same reason - because agape is the essence of the law. Shall we now tell Jesus that because we believe in "free grace," or because we live in a different "dispensation" that we no longer have to do what He says? The Master says elsewhere that if we love Him we WILL keep His commands.

The idea of a "yoke" means that Jesus has work for us to do but these "good works" are His and not ours. A yoke also indicates that we are submitted to Him. Jesus' yoke is certainly not like subservience to the Mosaic Law which Peter said was "a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear." (Acts 15:10) Jesus' "yoke is easy and His burden is light. (Matthew 11:28)"

Shasta

[MENTION=7292]Nang[/MENTION] , [MENTION=9592]Shasta[/MENTION] , and [MENTION=14521]God's Truth[/MENTION] , sitting in a tree, J-U-D-G-I-N-G

2 Co. 5:7

All I am doing is interpreting the scripture. If I am wrong then you must prove it exegetically. As for the scripture you cited it does not advance your claim. You have done little more in this post than accuse...and really...doesn't that make you the judge?

Lon

Yes sir, Mayor. God the Father sent, watched, the most beautiful creature to ever walk the earth, the Lord Jesus Christ, who knew no sin, and also sent Him to/watched Him be stripped, mocked, have his beard ripped from Him,whipped, bruised/beaten to a pulp, spat at.........so much so, that He was unrecognizable, will not accept any of this self righteous "manifesting the spiritual evidence and works...sanctified (holy) life of repentance and obedience" jazz as a basis.......No He won't. No He won't.

TOL audience-know this.....

No, He won't.

Publically, I need to thank you and I think this thread appropriate:

The Lord Jesus Christ has taught me, through you 1) To cherish His name more than commonly (good reminder for all of us) 2) that you nor I can stop Jesus from shining and resting in Him is a good place to be (Mary/Martha parable/real-life lesson). Mary was obnoxious I think you taught me that. She chose the better thing. Thank you for teaching me that. 3) Grace is grace, and I cannot earn it. Again. That had to be Christ in you, frankly. He is the fruit. I've seen Him in you. I couldn't remember if I said this publically before, but the debt remains outstanding and the confrontation of it left an indelible impression on my soul. Let me know where to send the check, but lest your reward be only earthly, thanks. If not, at least you could invest it for me in both heavenly and earthly stocks. -Lon

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Back up 1 square first.

Specifically whom does James address in his letter?

The teachings of James, the brother of Jesus, were inspired and preserved by God, to benefit the global church of God, which consists of a redeemed remnant of mankind called out of ALL the nationalities.

MAD intends to take much of the Word of God to His church, away from all its nationalities, and only apply it to Jews.

That cannot be what the Creator intended . . .

And those persons who attempt to commit the crime of taking any part of the word of God away from His church, are warned of serious results of damnation. Revelation 22:18-19

Danoh

The teachings of James, the brother of Jesus, were inspired and preserved by God, to benefit the global church of God, which consists of a redeemed remnant of mankind called out of ALL the nationalities.

MAD intends to take much of the Word of God to His church, away from all its nationalities, and only apply it to Jews.

That cannot be what the Creator intended . . .

And those persons who attempt to commit the crime of taking any part of the word of God away from His church, are warned of serious results of damnation. Revelation 22:18-19

Nang 1:1

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, NOT to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.