ECT How alone is Grace alone salvation?

How alone is Grace alone salvation?

• Total voters

SaulToPaul 2

Your error is considering repentance and obedience to be human good works

Rather, both should be recognized as being fruits of the Holy Spirit.

Christians will evidence the presence of the indwelling Holy Spirit by repenting of sin, and will choose to serve the righteousness of God through practicing a holy and obedient lifestyle . . not motivated to earn merit with God, but to bring glory to God.

Anyone who denies the importance of repentance and obedience, and refuses to manifest any fruits of the Holy Spirit, is denying God His due.

How much proves that you are saved?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

Christians will evidence the presence of the indwelling Holy Spirit by repenting of sin, and will choose to serve the righteousness of God through practicing a holy and obedient lifestyle . . not motivated to earn merit with God, but to bring glory to God.

Anyone who denies the importance of repentance and obedience, and refuses to manifest any fruits of the Holy Spirit, is denying God His due.

:dizzy:

john w

Hall of Fame

How much fruit?

How much obedience?

An atheist.......................................can repent, obey, show "fruit."

john w

Hall of Fame
being fruits of the Holy Spirit. ... refuses to manifest any fruits of the Holy Spirit, is denying God His due.

Pathetic-does not even know that it is "fruit"(singular), not "fruits"(plural).

Galatians 5:22 KJV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Ephesians 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

Details matter.

Start studying the details of the book, a book of details, instead of your "church" SOF.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
How much fruit?

How much obedience?

An atheist.......................................can repent, obey, show "fruit."

A disheartening verse to compliment your point is (2 Peter 2:21)

According to this verse... it is better to be an Atheist of sorts than to know Him and then obfuscate His DBR and (John 3:16).

Lon

So are you saying that if no fruit comes from a believer then he will no longer be saved?
No, rather I'm talking about nature. Whether a believer produces fruit doesn't change the tree. For me: the parable of the unfruitful tree Luke 13:6-9; 23:39-43 and coupled with it, ideas like Ephesians 2:10 Hebrews 12:5-14 1 John 3:3, there is just no way that isn't eventually going to happen. It isn't that you or I couldn't fail. It is rather the Lord Jesus Christ cannot.

And you said nothing about what I said previously:

Since the LORD knows the heart of men (1 Ki.8:39) He knows who has true faith and those who don't. To those with true faith He gives eternal life (Jn.5:24). And the Lord Jesus says that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish (Jn.10:28).

Therefore, from the moment when a person believes the gospel he is eternally secure.
Well, before this additional comment, I agreed with everything. On this, I'd rephrase if you'd allow: "The moment the Lord Jesus Christ saves a person" rather than a person's belief. It may seem a bit nitpicky, in my thinking, the gospel is about the Lord Jesus Christ having a hold of me, rather than so much me having a hold of Him. 1 John 5:12 has it as we have a hold of Him, but only in Christ are we new creations.

I know a couple of guys who have told me they are into 'fire-insurance' and have no intention of following the Lord Jesus Christ, by their own words. They rather prayed the prayer. I have no idea how to respond to that guy and the others like him. Luther said to 'sin boldly' but was he talking about something like this as well? For me, a great comfort is not so much that I called upon Him, but that He prepared and responded: He has a hold of me.

By another example, I have a couple of friends on TOL that others would think: "What????" Others don't see their fruit. I see it. One of them taught me grace undeserved is grace indeed. Another, that I should love the Lord God my Savior, Jesus Christ and give Him praise and honor only worthy of His Holy Name. I tend to see fruit where another may not. Maybe they don't even see it in themselves. The parable of the sheep and goats has many questioning "when Lord? Where did I do this Lord?"

It may be that one could desire the gift, rather than the Giver. Perhaps that one is saved as though escaping through flames, but isn't he/she the sad one? I'm not talking about trying to do for God, like Martha, but rather talking about being with Him, like Mary.

Lon

This is a great short post from AMR

This is a great short post from AMR

Actually, the point here is that it is God who is working within His workmanship, the believer (Eph. 2:10), to make all things possible—not inevitable—for man. Our Lord is not teaching that we are one-hundred percent capable of fulfilling what He fulfilled by His active and passive obedience. Rather, that our focus is to be upon the object of our faith, Jesus Christ, and not upon ourselves.

If man were capable of perfectly meeting all the demands of the Law, which Our Lord fulfilled, we would not need a Savior, for we would be our own saviors. Beware the sin of perfectionism.

AMR

Lon

I lifted this too from Tambora and AMR

I lifted this too from Tambora and AMR

Let me help you figure it out.
None of your obedience and righteousness paid the price of the penalty for sin.
NONE.

Romans 5:18-19 KJV
(18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
(19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
Yes.

Ours is an alien righteousness, that of Another, not of our own.

AMR

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
These are not questions; they are demands from you for license to practice sin(s).

If you want to continue living like you have always lived, no one is stopping you.

But just don't call it the "grace" of God.

Nang... everybody falls short and transgresses on many levels in many ways, moment by moment. He knows our hearts better than we do..

For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even as far as the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrows, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.​

You are calling His Sin forgiving Blood a "license to sin". This is literally referenced in scripture! It is the same thing as saying He casts out demons by the power of a demon.

We are all equal in God's eyes! Let go of the works trip already! You are literally denying your sola's!

By Faith ......... ALONE
Glory to Christ... ALONE
Scripture......... ALONE
By Grace ......... ALONE
By Christ......... ALONE

IM NOT JOKING... I'm not being sarcastic... I'm sincerely telling you that all of our dirty laundry stinks and Only Jesus has the clean robe. We all depend on that Robe (Gal. 3:27)

You are glorying the fruit! (2 Cor. 12:9). Glory Him and count ALL flesh Loss! (John 6:63)

We are all in this together!

Shasta

How much fruit demonstrates that one is saved?

This argument may seem unanswerable but really it is the "Fallacy of the Beard" which is:

When one argues that no useful distinction can be made between two extremes, just because there is no definable moment or point on the spectrum where the two extremes meet.
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/58/Argument-of-the-Beard

In the parable of the four seeds, one germinated but was choked out by thorns which Jesus said were lusts and cares of this world. When Jesus spoke this someone could have asked Him "Ah, but Lord, but how many thorns would be too much for the plant?" Regardless of the inability to define exactly "how much was too much" there WAS, in fact, a point when the new life withered and died. The same could be said for the seeds that fell on shallow earth. We could ask "At what point, Lord, would the plant die?" Obviously there WAS such a point or Jesus would not have told the story. This type of argument is not really about defining a point of no return. Rather it seems to be an attempt to establish the proposition that "no amount of sin will ever cause the New Life to die."

The same thing could be said about the question of how much fruit demonstrates that one is saved. Well we do not know exactly though it is certain that there is such a thing as having no fruit, too little fruit, and bearing thorns and thistles instead of fruit. Jesus offers different treatments for each case. The most extreme case is described in the Book of Hebrews:

…7 Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is tended receives the blessing of God. 8 But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless, and its curse is imminent. In the end it will be burned (Hebrews 6:7-8).

Last edited:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Nang... everybody falls short and transgresses on many levels in many ways, moment by moment. He knows our hearts better than we do..

Obviously, you do not grasp the discussion. No one is advocating "perfectionism."

You are calling His Sin forgiving Blood a "license to sin".

I beg your pardon!

My position is that the grace of God, that pardons all sin, should not be used as a license to practice sin.

Let go of the works trip already!

My testimony has always been, that repentance and obedience are gifts from God, and not works at all.

You need to read closer and better before injecting your accusations into a thread.

You are literally denying your sola's!

By Faith ......... ALONE
Glory to Christ... ALONE
Scripture......... ALONE
By Grace ......... ALONE
By Christ......... ALONE

Another accusation. Where do they all come from?

You are glorying the fruit!

Another empty accusation . . my, my . . who do you represent, anyway?

Here is my Christian advice to those who truly know the grace of God:

"Finally brethren, whatever things are TRUE, whatever things are NOBLE, whatever things are JUST, whatever things are PURE, whatever things are LOVELY, whatever things are of GOOD REPORT; if there is any VIRTUE and if there is anything PRAISEWORTHY . . meditate on these things." Philippians 4:8

The grace of God alone, gifts His spiritual children the heart, minds, will, and capacity to live as instructed above.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
No kidding. And you think that WE do not think this?

MADists deny any need on their part to repent or obey or learn from historical church/creeds or practice the sacraments or regularly worship with fellow saints.

If I am wrong, please explain where and why that message is coming through on this site . .