Homeschoolers

Zimfan

Originally posted by Christine
I doubt you talk that way. I thought you said in your discussion with Elaine that you went to pubic school in Pennsylvania. Thus, you don't have an accent.:p

Actually, I've gone to public school in Virginia, Sicily, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas. Pennsylvanians have a somewhat midwestern accent, by the way.

Christine

Originally posted by Zimfan
Actually, I've gone to public school in Virginia, Sicily, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas. Pennsylvanians have a somewhat midwestern accent, by the way.
Where in Ohio?

Zimfan

Oddly, I don't find myself thinking of Ohio often, even though I lived there for 5 years. I had some bad experiences there.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ShadowMaid
I don't think I will retort to that comment.

I looked this one up, and I still cannot tell if it should be "retort to that comment." or "retort that comment." I think the latter is correct, but they could both be correct (or the former could be right).

Although, it should be correct to say "answer to that comment." or "answer that comment.", but I think the latter is less cumbersome.

BTW, I only took a half year of grammar in all of gradeschool. I had to learn what little grammar I know from good papers that got bad grades because they KEPT MARKING DOWN FOR GRAMMAR in highschool. That's what I got for going to a pastor/teacher prep school for most of highschool.

Zimfan

Originally posted by Yorzhik
I looked this one up, and I still cannot tell if it should be "retort to that comment." or "retort that comment." I think the latter is correct, but they could both be correct (or the former could be right).

Although, it should be correct to say "answer to that comment." or "answer that comment.", but I think the latter is less cumbersome.

BTW, I only took a half year of grammar in all of gradeschool. I had to learn what little grammar I know from good papers that got bad grades because they KEPT MARKING DOWN FOR GRAMMAR in highschool. That's what I got for going to a pastor/teacher prep school for most of highschool.

I was bad at grammar through high school until I finally had a teacher who marked points off for it. Since then I've learned to write most of my essays without any mistakes at all.

P.S. I know the definition fit, but I still think retort was a poor word choice. I think it's an ugly word. Oh well, it's probably because I think of word choice in written works in terms of how'd the words would sound spoken. It's part of being a law major.

Zimfan

Originally posted by Elaine
:nono: Tsk, tsk! It's still there! :angel:

Yes it is and there it shall remain. When you have studied English at Harvard and become a professor of the subject you can criticize the way he writes. :p

Christine

Originally posted by Zimfan
Oddly, I don't find myself thinking of Ohio often, even though I lived there for 5 years. I had some bad experiences there.
I'm sorry to hear that, Zimfan. Having lived in Ohio all my life, all my experiences, good and bad, happened here.