homeschool insights

swanca99

The Edge said:
deardelmar,
Ok so I hear there's several good cirriculums out there that seem to be popular, and bettern than private school. If we as parents are not masters of the subject matter (e.g. not everyone is good with dates, history, english grammatical rules, etc.), can we still effectively teach the material? Aren't most public school teachers well educated in their fields? i mean, doesn't a science teacher have a degree in physics or chemistry, or an english teacher have a major in english? Can we be effective teaching that to our kids, with me being a meteorologist and my wife not finishing her college degree?

This did not seem to be an issue. My wife did, by far, most of the teaching, and learned right along with the kids in subjects that she had not been familiar with (and SHE would not have used a dangling preposition like I just did!).

The subject that really put me in awe of her abilities was reading. She used a book called The Writing Road to Reading to teach that, and she said it was the best system of the ones that she tried. She even had other homeschooling moms over at times to teach them how to use it. But it still seems amazing to me that somebody can teach somebody else how to read. I think of it as a sorta human equivalent to a "bootstrap program."

The better they know how to read, the easier it will be for them to do everything else.For example, we had no intentions of teaching music theory, but my oldest son was interested in it so we took him to the library and he checked out books on the subject and learned it on his own.

You and your wife's educational backgrounds sound adequate to me. I've seen mothers with no college at all who have effectively educated their kids. A good curriculum and a little common sense should do the trick. And I would also recommend seeking out a homeschooling support group in your area, especially when you are first starting out.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you might want to find out what the laws are regarding homeschooling in your state. And the local school board is often not the best source of that kind of information. The Home School Legal Defense Association is a good source. Their web site (hslda.org) has information on that (select "In your state" in the "quick menu" on the left).