+

Whip.gif

:darwinsm:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Edge,

Originally posted by Turbo

The Edge,

A few months ago I read a book called To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl. It's around 100 pages and it sells for around $5. I highly recommend checking it out. You can read chapter one online.

Awsome book! Good advice :)

Yeah, since he is 4 you have some time to decide :) Most places will send you freebie info you and your wife can look over.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
is home schooling more expensive?

Is it really better than real school? I mean, I and my wife don'tknow math and history and all the grammatical rules of english and stuff. am i missing something here?

tomedward

Followers of Christ are to raise their Seed in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. The sorry alternative is that strangers will train your children in the fear and adoration of the State.

Ninjashadow

First of all Edge, there are pros and cons of both homeschooling and public school. I have been in both. My mom used special homeschooling curriculum in my case, though she didn't know a whole lot. And I turned out ok (although that is really a matter of opinion). I enjoyed it.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by The Edge

i like the idea of homeschooling, but what if you don't know all the stuff you have to teach them?

Curriculum can be expensive. But, you can buy used books, make your own curriculum, or look around on the net for freebies. One of my favorite sources, both to buy and sell curriculum, is www.vegsource.com/homeschool. Click the Homeschool Resources box and go down to Swap Boards. Select the appropriate category (buy, sell, grade level). I've bought some curriculum through that site before. I've also sold some through there.

As to knowing what to teach them, the teachers' manuals are pretty self-explanatory. I was afraid when I first started homeschooling. I never thought that I would be able to teach my daughter. That was seven years ago now. And, with the exception of a semester right after Steve passed away and a semester where I taught Spanish in a private school, we've homeschooled all the way through.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by The Edge

Is it really better than real school? I mean, I and my wife don'tknow math and history and all the grammatical rules of english and stuff. am i missing something here?

Along with the info nori provided, on the first page of this thread are links to ABeka and Alpha Omega. Check them out :) There are also local homeschooling networks you can get involved in.

One of my friends who homeschools her 6 children sets her own curriculum and only purchases teaching aids. While another homechooler I know makes extensive use of the library.

In the curriculum I use, the teacher on the DVD delivers the daily lessons. If my daughter has trouble with a concept, she comes to me. I have all the answers ( :D ) and if I should fail to be able to find the answer, there is a 1-800 # to contact the school for help. Just so you will know, ABeka is a school in Florida, ( with a building ) . In fact, my daughter told me the other day one of her friends is using Abeka curriculum at her public school.

The curriculum we chose is DVD based and accredited. The lessons are given by the teacher. All of the books, test books, answer keys and the lesson plans are included. It costs $1025 year until the 9th grade (with a $25 rebate if ordered by a certain date). They also offer non accredited DVD, accredited non DVD and non accredited non DVD curriculums at lower costs. (they also have payment plans available).

Please don't think I'm trying to push ABeka on you, I'm just sharing the info I am familliar with :)

Alpha Omega also has many curriculums to choose from. From computer based lessons to traditional workbook stuff. ( I'm thinking about ordering one of their foreign language courses this summer. )

You and your wife have some time to look through what's out there to fit your family and your budget :)

swanca99

We homeschooled our three children, who are now 19, 21 and 23. They are all now in college, and have done well.

We used curricula from Bob Jones, Alpha Omega and A-Beka. My wife and I both have strong math-science backgrounds, so we helped out the famlies whose parents didn't. You will find support groups to help wherever you feel inadequate.

My wife had a lot of fun with it. One memorable event was when she went to the Hormel packing plant down the road and got some pig hearts, and even a whole heart-lung assembly, complete with trachea (I guess an assembly is what you would call it?). We have some really cute photos of the event.

The only downside is that since I never had a really high-paying job, we are now playing catch-up to try to prepare for retirement.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
swanca99 said:
The only downside is that since I never had a really high-paying job, we are now playing catch-up to try to prepare for retirement.
I can sympathize with that... we homeschooled our four (all now in their twenties) and I decided not to travel so I could be home to help as much as possible.

Now they're out on their own and we're working like :dog:s so someday we won't have to... ;)

beanieboy

As much as I love my parents, they simply weren't that smart, and I think that would have truly limited my education. They also had ideas from the church that they insisted were fact (the earth is 4000 years old, Adam rode dinosaurs like horses, etc. )

But what I learned the most was socialization - how to get along with others.

philosophizer

The Edge said:
Perhaps I could use this thread to get some insights on homeschooling; pro or con. My wife wants to do it, but I question it because I think it'll overwork her and not give us the break we can get each day by sending kids to school.

Discuss, please :)

If parents have the time, energy, patience, ability, and desire then homeschooling is wonderful, and probably the best option for the child. But no parent should feel pressured, obligated, required, or (certainly not) destined to do it. A bad homeschooling parent can be almost as dangerous as a bad public school teacher (I've seen it). Bottom line, it's not a calling, it's a choice. It might be a good choice, but you gotta examine your circumstances, your feelings, and your prayers, because it is one choice among other options.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
philosophizer said:
If parents have the time, energy, patience, ability, and desire then homeschooling is wonderful, and probably the best option for the child. But no parent should feel pressured, obligated, required, or (certainly not) destined to do it. A bad homeschooling parent can be almost as dangerous as a bad public school teacher (I've seen it). Bottom line, it's not a calling, it's a choice. It might be a good choice, but you gotta examine your circumstances, your feelings, and your prayers, because it is one choice among other options.
Philosophyzer,

Well said. I agree. My wife has been excited about it since before we got married. If it's her dream, and she has the teaching ability I've seen it, then I support her. If it looks like she's getting fried I'm going to ask her to reevaluate the decision. I hope it goes well....she would really like to do it. I back her up but I'm going to look out for her sanity as well. I kind of look forward to teaching science.....I like science. After all, I am a scientist....a meteorologist to be exact ;)

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Zakath said:
I can sympathize with that... we homeschooled our four (all now in their twenties) and I decided not to travel so I could be home to help as much as possible.

Now they're out on their own and we're working like :dog:s so someday we won't have to... ;)

Z man if you don't mind me asking, I thought you were atheist; I haven't seen (in my limited expereince) any non-Christians home school. Why did you do it? I'm just curious.

Edge

Zakath

Resident Atheist
The Edge said:
Z man if you don't mind me asking, I thought you were atheist; I haven't seen (in my limited expereince) any non-Christians home school. Why did you do it? I'm just curious.

Edge
From my POV, homeschooling never had anything to do with religion. It was about quality education... My wife and I were both practicing Christians when we homeschooled our brood, about 15 years ago. Though, were we raising kids today, we'd probably homeschool them, regardless of the fact that neither one of us practices religious activity of any sort.

I'm just not partial to institutional education for gradeschoolers... :think:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Edge said:

My wife uses switched on schoolhouse which is the CD rom version of Alpha Omega. She got this years 8th grade curriculum for about $300. I think she got the 7th grade used for a little less. It's way cheaper than privte school and probably less than you would spend on lunch money for a year in public school. Let alone book fees etc. Assuming your wife is resonably bright and loves your kids I relly recomend it!

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
zakath,
your answer is understood.

deardelmar,
Ok so I hear there's several good cirriculums out there that seem to be popular, and bettern than private school. If we as parents are not masters of the subject matter (e.g. not everyone is good with dates, history, english grammatical rules, etc.), can we still effectively teach the material? Aren't most public school teachers well educated in their fields? i mean, doesn't a science teacher have a degree in physics or chemistry, or an english teacher have a major in english? Can we be effective teaching that to our kids, with me being a meteorologist and my wife not finishing her college degree?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
zakath,
your answer is understood.

deardelmar,
Ok so I hear there's several good cirriculums out there that seem to be popular, and bettern than private school. If we as parents are not masters of the subject matter (e.g. not everyone is good with dates, history, english grammatical rules, etc.), can we still effectively teach the material? Aren't most public school teachers well educated in their fields? i mean, doesn't a science teacher have a degree in physics or chemistry, or an english teacher have a major in english? Can we be effective teaching that to our kids, with me being a meteorologist and my wife not finishing her college degree?
Some school teachers are well educated! Plenty of them are dumb as rocks. I'm sure your wife can handle it!

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
deardelmar,

The Edge - One thing that I've made use of, when I didn't know the subject at hand, was a tutor. They can be expensive. But, imho, our childrens' educations should be one of our top priorities.