Hi! I'm danj1953 and I'm an atheist.

Todah

Welcome danj1953. As a liberal atheist you will feel quite at home here. Liberals are legion, and atheists may be the single largest denomination, depending on how precisely one divides up the Christian believers.

I am assuming you were born in 1953, which makes you more distinct in that regards. Not too many 58 year olds? Enjoy!

john w

Hall of Fame
“I'm a rapidly aging Canadian atheist who has worked for the last couple of decades for a large Christian social service agency.” -danj1953

Why do you “work … for a large Christian social service agency?” To what end? What’s the point? There is no God, and, if there was, He certainly does not need your help. $'s? To "help others?" Why? No God, no standard, of love, justice.......no need to "help others."

“Nobody remains after they die. Period”-danj1953.

1 Cor. 15:
16For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
17And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
18Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
19If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

So, if we just become worm food, what’s the point of working for a large Christian social service agency? You have only hope in this life. You croak, and that's it. Help others? Why? You croak-the end.

danj1953

Why do you “work … for a large Christian social service agency?”

They helped me when I needed it so now I help them. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. I choose to do the right thing because it's right and not because I'm threatened with eternal damnation if I don't.

alwight

Firstly Hi Dan, I'm a 1951 vintage myself and these days it seems that after clearing up after breakfast it's lunchtime, and then it's nap time.

Welcome danj1953. As a liberal atheist you will feel quite at home here. Liberals are legion, and atheists may be the single largest denomination, depending on how precisely one divides up the Christian believers.
Yes arguably Christians are divided by a common divinity, not so with atheists of course, that or we just don't know what it is we disagree on. :liberals:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I'm a rapidly aging Canadian atheist who has worked for the last couple of decades for a large Christian social service agency.
No.
What exactly are you disagreeing with? Perhaps you could elaborate.
Sure.

During a baseball game, on a field shaped like a diamond, with three white bases and home plate forming its corners, there are nine defenders, two base coaches, one to six umpires, one batter, and up to three baserunners. If you say, "There is no baseball," then you're saying that up to twenty-one people are just randomly on the field, dressed in the same clothes and in characteristic outfits, or that up to twenty-one people are independently choosing at that time to pretend that "there is baseball."

I say: No.

john w

Hall of Fame
They helped me when I needed it so now I help them. Why? Because it's the right thing to do. I choose to do the right thing because it's right and not because I'm threatened with eternal damnation if I don't.

Right thing? That means NADA w/o a standard. Whose right thing? Yours? Many people do things they think is the "right thing." So?
You croak, and become worm food. What's the point?

"not because I'm threatened with eternal damnation if I don't"-danj1953

That is not my motivation as a member of the boc-you made that up. Ask others for their motivation- I do not speak for them, nor they, me.

danj1953

Whose 'standard' should I use? Yours? I am a responsible adult. I am capable of making my own moral decisions. I choose to define myself as a moral person. I don't choose to define my life around an irrational fear of death. I was born and I will die. And I hope I leave the world a better place when I go. And that, my friend, is the point.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Welcome danj1953. There are plenty of atheists on this board. They may be the most numerous group on here.

danj1953

Sure.

During a baseball game, on a field shaped like a diamond, with three white bases and home plate forming its corners, there are nine defenders, two base coaches, one to six umpires, one batter, and up to three baserunners. If you say, "There is no baseball," then you're saying that up to twenty-one people are just randomly on the field, dressed in the same clothes and in characteristic outfits, or that up to twenty-one people are independently choosing at that time to pretend that "there is baseball."

I say: No.

I'm more like the peanut salesman in your analogy. I'm happy as long as I get paid and the players aren't interested in my opinions. I go to work. I do a job. I go home. My employers have known since day one that I'm not a believer. Christian belief is not required for the work I do. I'm not involved with counselling our clients and I keep my opinions to myself. So, in effect, my employers have said: Yes. And that's all I really care about.

Xebec

Can't say I have met an atheist in real life

Can't say I have met an atheist in real life

Must be interesting for you to work in a "religious" organisation.

reasonator

Greetings. If your welcome was anything like mine, prepare to have your story doubted and prepare to be labeled a liar.

But welcome, from a fellow newbie. :)