hi I have a question

The 5 solas

The 5 solas

Well now, I see john w has been banned. He was one of the people I met when I first got on here and could not believe...and one whose posts I stopped reading and will not reply to. Is there a way of knowing how long he was banned for?

Christian Liberty

John W is incomprehensible most of the time:p

As for me, virtually every infraction I've received has been because of my worldview. This forum is biased. To their credit, they are open about this fact, so it doesn't bother me as much as some other forums that I've been on that have not claimed to be biased but nonetheless were anyway. I should say also that, while I believe in the doctrines of grace, my beliefs on a number of issues are very different than most other Calvinists. Read at your own risk:)

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Well now, I see john w has been banned. He was one of the people I met when I first got on here and could not believe...and one whose posts I stopped reading and will not reply to. Is there a way of knowing how long he was banned for?

He is banned frequently, but will be back in short time.

The 5 solas

Since I am still new and have not been welcomed into the forum's holy of holies, as it were, ie: off probabtion and all restrictions, I cannot see the private groups and such. I thought I saw some of them on peoples names, or somewhere...one being Reformed. Is there such a thing?

I have been tempted to start a Reformed thread, but have mercy on my soul....I don't think I could handle the zoo it would turn into. I would love to have a place where those who embrace the Doctrines of Grace, even though we may have other differences or nuances ...could have exchanges without being pestered.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Since I am still new and have not been welcomed into the forum's holy of holies, as it were, ie: off probabtion and all restrictions, I cannot see the private groups and such. I thought I saw some of them on peoples names, or somewhere...one being Reformed. Is there such a thing?

I have been tempted to start a Reformed thread, but have mercy on my soul....I don't think I could handle the zoo it would turn into. I would love to have a place where those who embrace the Doctrines of Grace, even though we may have other differences or nuances ...could have exchanges without being pestered.

The way to avoid being pestered is not to post.
And here is another nugget for you: take a look at the ratio of rep to posts. If you're a complete numbskull then let me spell it out: take the amount of rep a person has and divide by the number of posts they have made. The resultant figure gives you an idea of how well respected the person is. If your aim on this forum is not to get banned then all you have to do is not to post. But if you want genuine and realistic security then you need to get yourself liked by other members. This means communicating well and thinking of others not just yourself.
One final thing: look at the number of posts per day each person has and compare that with the rep ratio. It won't take you long to realise that the people with the highest number of posts per day have the lowest rep ratios. I don't need to explain this too much - the words 'verbal' and 'diarrhoea' seem to spring to mind for some unknown reason. Then you can go away and think a bit about that and make some personal decisions about what you want to achieve in a discussion forum.

The 5 solas

The way to avoid being pestered is not to post.
And here is another nugget for you: take a look at the ratio of rep to posts. If you're a complete numbskull then let me spell it out: take the amount of rep a person has and divide by the number of posts they have made. The resultant figure gives you an idea of how well respected the person is. If your aim on this forum is not to get banned then all you have to do is not to post. But if you want genuine and realistic security then you need to get yourself liked by other members. This means communicating well and thinking of others not just yourself.
One final thing: look at the number of posts per day each person has and compare that with the rep ratio. It won't take you long to realise that the people with the highest number of posts per day have the lowest rep ratios. I don't need to explain this too much - the words 'verbal' and 'diarrhoea' seem to spring to mind for some unknown reason. Then you can go away and think a bit about that and make some personal decisions about what you want to achieve in a discussion forum.

And aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

What I do notice is that many people who spew forth heretical views have high reps on this board. To the board it might mean something but to those who wish to dialogue with something other than heretics, not so much.

Then again, I might just be a complete numbskull.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And aren't you just a ray of sunshine.

What I do notice is that many people who spew forth heretical views have high reps on this board. To the board it might mean something but to those who wish to dialogue with something other than heretics, not so much.

Then again, I might just be a complete numbskull.

Firstly, I didn't mean numbskull in a negative way. I know a lot of people need things spelt out for them when it comes to arithmetic. Also, if spelling is your problem, you can learn a lot from Harry Potter.
It is true that most of the highest rep ratios on this board are MAD and I don't desire rep that much to abandon my principles. But if you want to enjoy yourself and/or to convince anyone of anything, you have got to gain respect from a good many on the board. Just because those with the highest rep are the ones you think are heretics doesn't mean you are excused from earning rep yourself. It takes discipline but it brings results. You get your points across better and people listen to you. Respect doesn't mean getting people to agree with your views, it means being polite and caring to as many as possible, making sure you say something meaningful and thinking before you press the send button.

Last edited:

The 5 solas

Firstly, I didn't mean numbskull in a negative way. I know a lot of people need things spelt out for them when it comes to arithmetic. Also, if spelling is your problem, you can learn a lot from Harry Potter.
It is true that most of the highest rep ratios on this board are MAD and I don't desire rep that much to abandon my principles. But if you want to enjoy yourself and/or to convince anyone of anything, you have got to gain respect from a good many on the board. Just because those with the highest rep are the ones you think are heretics doesn't mean you are excused from earning rep yourself. It takes discipline but it brings results. You get your points across better and people listen to you. Respect doesn't mean getting people to agree with your views, it means being polite and caring to as many as possible, making sure you say something meaningful and thinking before you press the send button.

I really couldn't care less about a forum board's reputation granting practices. I really was just looking for a Theology Forum where I would be able to engage in some intellectually backed discussions and debates. It is not a popularity contest...or at least it shouldn't be. I am not here to push an agenda, albeit I am very happy to dialogue with others who really want to have a sincere exchange.

The way I will discern who deserves respect or attention will be solely based on the content of their posts, not the number of little coloured blocks they have on the sidebar.

I have never heard numbskull used in anything but a negative way, must be a new thing.

Thank you for your time :)

Thunder's Muse

Pay john w no mind. His bark is worse than his bite.

Christian Liberty

In my experience:

Some people will neg rep posts just because they dislike/disagree with them. Others would +rep good posts even when they disagree with them.

I wouldn't worry so much about the reps themselves unless they come with good comments that correctly identify problems with the post in question. When I get neg reps with comments like "You're a moron" or "go to Hell" I generally just ignore them.

And yes, most of this forum is MAD and open theist. I consider both of these doctrines anti-Christian and heretical, just as 5solas does. Even still, they don't demand theological conformity to post here, which is a good thing. It would be boring if we all agreed all of the time.