Helping someone with a sin problem

Volts

There is a person at church and recently he asked me for help with his sin problem. He said that he has been going to strip clubs for several years and has gotten into a lot of debt. He says that he is Christian and that he wants to overcome this problem. I was shocked when he told me this. I have known him for several years and I didn't that he was doing this. I told him that I would like to help him. How would you help him?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is a person at church and recently he asked me for help with his sin problem. He said that he has been going to strip clubs for several years and has gotten into a lot of debt. He says that he is Christian and that he wants to overcome this problem. I was shocked when he told me this. I have known him for several years and I didn't that he was doing this. I told him that I would like to help him. How would you help him?

Tell him to use all the time he is spending with strippers at a second job to help pay off his debt.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If somebody is on the ground and you want them to get up, throwing them a pillow will not help. If you kick them, they will be mad at you and get up.

So pass judgment in front of all that he is a whoremonger.

1 Timothy 5:20

Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

Truster

No names were named. Seems like a legitimate request for advice to me.

In which case he could have told his friend to seek advice on here.

A confidence is not to be broken for any reason. Approval of anyone who does so is calling evil good.

Caledvwlch

In which case he could have told his friend to seek advice on here.

A confidence is not to be broken for any reason. Approval of anyone who does so is calling evil good.

I'm saying the confidence was not broken. We don't even know who Volts is, let alone his/her anonymous friend.

Caledvwlch

If somebody is on the ground and you want them to get up, throwing them a pillow will not help. If you kick them, they will be mad at you and get up.

Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

So, like, call him out in the middle of a church service? Do they do this where you go to church? "I happen to know that Frank Smith routinely peeps on his neighbors wife in a bikini!" That sort of thing?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, like, call him out in the middle of a church service? Do they do this where you go to church? "I happen to know that Frank Smith routinely peeps on his neighbors wife in a bikini!" That sort of thing?

The day that happens is the day he would need to find a new church and actual friends.

Friends do not find pleasure in humiliating someone they *supposedly* care about.

Caledvwlch

That day that happens is the day he would need to find a new church and actual friends.

Friends do not find pleasure in humiliating someone they *supposedly* care about.

It's not just anti-social, it's cruel and sadistic. To quote the great Benicio del Toro, "Just because it is written, doesn't make it so."

IMJerusha

This doesn't equate to "we're dead in our sins" Nick. You can't have it both ways.

IMJerusha

There is a book called "Every man's battle." I have been told it is helpful to men in the Body. There are many ways to help a man overcome this attack of HaSatan. Upholding him in prayer, providing a helper in the faith that can be called at a moment's notice like AA does. The biggest thing we are called to do first is to love and uphold one another.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, like, call him out in the middle of a church service?

After is probably better. Best not be rude and interrupt somebody talking. Is that how you do things where you are? You just butt in?

"I happen to know that Frank Smith routinely peeps on his neighbors wife in a bikini!" That sort of thing?

I am pretty sure that isn't what he said in the OP. Your mind is in the gutter, like his friend.

elohiym

How would you help him?

First, I would ask him why he goes to strip clubs. You're looking for the deep answer, not, "because that's where the naked women are."

Second, there is no next step until you truly understand what his core problem is--why he goes. Maybe he's shared that with you. I don't know.

OCTOBER23

GIVE HIM A MILLION DOLLARS SO HE CAN SPEND IT ALL ON THOSE FAT WOMEN

:cigar::cigar::peach::peach::peach::noway::noway:

Caledvwlch

After is probably better. Best not be rude and interrupt somebody talking. Is that how you do things where you are? You just butt in?

Just trying to get an idea of what you mean by public rebuke.

I am pretty sure that isn't what he said in the OP. Your mind is in the gutter, like his friend.

Good eye. I made something up and tried to keep it PG. It was a hypothetical.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This doesn't equate to "we're dead in our sins" Nick. You can't have it both ways.

I have no idea of his eternal fate. Morality is independent of the condition of sin. Nice try, go ask your husband for help.

:edit: This is not about the gospel. It is about right and wrong.

Last edited:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I told him that I would like to help him. How would you help him?

Point this out to him for starters:

Your walk of faith can be strengthened by daily Scripture study, prayer, fellowship with believers, and regular assembly with others to worship God. Develop this spiritual discipline and it will enable you to resist temptations that may lead you to sinful acts. Whatever God tells you to do, He will equip you to do. When God admonishes you to avoid sexual immorality, He enables you to do it.

1 Thessalonians chapter 4 - Why Avoid Immorality?

You will please God.... v. 1
You will prove that you can take instruction from God.... v. 1
You will respond to the authority of God.... v. 2
You will be in the will of God.... v. 3
God calls you to be holy—literally set apart from the world's thinking....v. 3
God calls you to sexual integrity....v. 3
You will control your own body.... v. 4
God calls you to control your sexual desires....v. 4
God calls you to be holy and honorable....v. 4
You will not display passionate lust.... v. 5
You will not be like the heathen.... v. 5
God condemns your lust....v. 5
You will not wrong another person.... v. 6
You will not take advantage of another.... v. 6
God holds you accountable for your treatment of others....v. 6
God will punish your promiscuity....v. 6
God does not call you to be impure....v. 7
God calls you to live a holy life....v. 7
God sees your involvement in sexual sin as rejection of Him....v. 8

Right now your friend can live by faith—or he can live by his feelings.

AMR