Hello World

relaff

There are some passages and verses that I still don't get, so, yes, I do use commentaries. The Holy Spirit knows I am somewhat "hearing impaired" so a commentary is, essentially, a brief explanation (perhaps a man's opinion) on what the biblical writers really meant (as thoroughly as we can know that - ???).

More than less I will go and glean from the Puritans and early church fathers. There are MANY sites on the web with free downloadable sermons, i.e. CCEL, Grace-Gems, GTY, Phil Johnson's Spurgeon Archive, etc...that have MANY "takes" on Scripture.

If you want links to these free resources let me know.

Hearing impaired sounds good. I'm likely in that category as well.

I always to let scripture find its way into my brain and my heart first. But sometimes I struggle with the meaning. Yet I think you made a good point saying that we have to be careful. A commentary is only men's word, not God's Word.

Any links would be appreciated, but only if you got the time to do it.

Thanks again for that MacArthur link. This is an interesting approach and I will try to follow it. I'll let you know how it works out.

Bless you for spreading His word

theophilus

@relaff...

@relaff...

Since the net is the "biggest pile of free research in the world" I know you know that there is SO much more out there. So much to read/absorb; so little time.

The reason I keep returning to the church fathers is because today the church is drowning in Christianity Lite.

I'm too hungry for that and supplement my "diet" with solid teaching from ages past.

Please don't be overwhelmed; sometimes we learn to swim by being thrown into the lake.

:)

Grace to you and Good morning!

relaff

Please don't be overwhelmed; sometimes we learn to swim by being thrown into the lake.

Grace to you and Good morning!

Good Morning :)
Actually a very beautiful, yet cold morning out here.

It's quite overwhelming, so I try to stick to some kind of guideline. And actually I find that little one from John MacArthur quite convincing. So I followed his advice on how to do the NT reading last night (I still need to start on the OT).

So no time to be excited yet, though it was pretty exciting, because it's a long way to go to establish it as a daily routine.

Grace to you! And thanks again for helping me.