Hello World

relaff

I'm new here and still trying to find my way around. Somebody told me it's like a jungle and it sure looks like it. Also it seems you need to watch out for not getting stung. But I'm starting to like it.

I'm trying to be a bible-based Christian, but that of course requires knowledge of scripture, so I might not always be what I'm trying to be.

I don't do anything fancy, go to church, serve a bit, do some bible study and try to keep my number of sins low.

:luigi:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'm new here and still trying to find my way around. Somebody told me it's like a jungle and it sure looks like it. Also it seems you need to watch out for not getting stung. But I'm starting to like it.

I'm trying to be a bible-based Christian, but that of course requires knowledge of scripture, so I might not always be what I'm trying to be.

I don't do anything fancy, go to church, serve a bit, do some bible study and try to keep my number of sins low.

:luigi:

I may have said welcome to the jungle, but I was mostly kidding. We do have fun here and things can get heated, but nearly any subject can be discussed. You will learn how to start your own thread if you have a topic you like. Keep clicking on things and see what you can do. Read the forum rules of course and the TOL rules, simple stuff - common sense (not me though, I'm nuts)

theophilus

Welcome!

Welcome!

Quit trying.

When you abide in Jesus Christ and His Word, and you obey Him, His GRACE will work these in you.

We are commanded to obey. When we do that all He is and all that He has is ours.

Is yours!

:)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
welcome-2.gif

relaff

Quit trying.

When you abide in Jesus Christ and His Word, and you obey Him, His GRACE will work these in you.

We are commanded to obey. When we do that all He is and all that He has is ours.

Is yours!

I actually meant something different, but perhaps I phrased it badly. The trying does not refer to being a Christian and being saved. I am both, because I believe in Christ and have accepted his grace of saving me.

What I was refer to was the "bible-based". For that the Holy Spirit helps a lot, but it also means that I need to do reading of scripture. Which I do, but it could always be more. That's actually the main reason I'm here, because I find the discussion and the hints (bible verses etc) from fellow Christians a blessing.

relaff

I may have said welcome to the jungle, but I was mostly kidding. We do have fun here and things can get heated, but nearly any subject can be discussed. You will learn how to start your own thread if you have a topic you like. Keep clicking on things and see what you can do. Read the forum rules of course and the TOL rules, simple stuff - common sense (not me though, I'm nuts)

Thanks for your kind words :)

I actually think it's a jungle, but I was taking it literally. There are so many threads going on and I even have a hard time finding the ones I wrote in. Though I understand that there will be a function to see that ones I have posted more.

theophilus

I actually meant something different, but perhaps I phrased it badly. The trying does not refer to being a Christian and being saved. I am both, because I believe in Christ and have accepted his grace of saving me.

What I was refer to was the "bible-based". For that the Holy Spirit helps a lot, but it also means that I need to do reading of scripture. Which I do, but it could always be more. That's actually the main reason I'm here, because I find the discussion and the hints (bible verses etc) from fellow Christians a blessing.

Hello relaff,

In 1996 I was a lost soul, in college, and listened to classic rock. God led me to Him and I started listening to Christian talk radio (Bott Radio Network - now I listen over the net at work). One day I heard Michael Youssef say, "if you have time to watch TV you have time to read your Bible."

:jawdrop:

So I went and bought a Daily Walk KJV and committed myself to it.

Went through that for 7 years then switched to a NASB and decided to read through it twice a year...THEN decided to read the whole thing aloud.

This many years later I follow John MacArthur's Bible study method (a small book every day for 30 days - staying in one book) and time in the OT chunking up the longer books into sections. It's a sure fire way to KNOW where everything is in all the books of the NT and vastly improves my scripture memory (Psalm 119:11). This has changed my life, my perspective, my goals, my self view and many other things (Hallelujah!).

If I'm working on anything it's my level and depth of obedience...and partial obedience is disobedience. Not presuming on grace but I'm glad sanctification is a life-long process.

Welcome to the boards and my prayer for you is that you will grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

If I can bless you I will.

Grace to you!

genuineoriginal

There are so many threads going on and I even have a hard time finding the ones I wrote in. Though I understand that there will be a function to see that ones I have posted more.

Look for the link on the navigation bar that says User CP

The top of that page shows you the threads you are subscribed to with new posts, you should be automatically subscribed to a thread when you post in it.

There is a link on that page to View all Subscribed Threads that you can use to see threads you have posted in that do not have recent responses.

relaff

If I'm working on anything it's my level and depth of obedience...and partial obedience is disobedience. Not presuming on grace but I'm glad sanctification is a life-long process.

Welcome to the boards and my prayer for you is that you will grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

If I can bless you I will.

Grace to you!

Wow, thanks for the insight. When you are referring to McArthur, you mean his method of bible study, right? There is a book by him called "How to Study the Bible". Is this a necessary introduction or would be sufficient what I find on the internet?

I'm doing a weekly bible study, which I enjoy, but I would like to speed the pace up a bit, so this really sounds like a good idea.

Blessings and prayers are always welcome from my side :)

May the Lord bless you!

relaff

The top of that page shows you the threads you are subscribed to with new posts, you should be automatically subscribed to a thread when you post in it.

Thanks! It doesn't seem to do it automatically for me, but I just did it manually and it worked. This helps a lot!

genuineoriginal

Thanks! It doesn't seem to do it automatically for me, but I just did it manually and it worked. This helps a lot!

On the User CP left navigation panel, there is an option to Edit Options.

One of the options is the Default Thread Subscription Mode.
Look at that to see if it is set to "Do Not subscribe" or if it is set to another value.

theophilus

Hey relaff,

Hey relaff,

That booklet "How to Study the Bible" is:
1. Available as a free download at MacArthur's website (pm me for the link since I can't post it), and
2. Is excerpted from his book "Why Believe the Bible."

FWIW - When Paul says "I die daily" I take that to a height of...if I die daily I'm going to need supernatural strength for that so I need to read my Bible daily.

I know that's a leap but it helps me stick with my commitment (to the King).

It also, over time, allows me to view this world with an ever increasingly biblical perspective.

The more God's Word gets into me the brighter His light shines through me and affects the world around. The sticker is that my mission field begins at my front door. I've got many places to shine INTO and so, by the grace of God, do YOU.

Grace to you...and thanks for the blessings.

May the Lord open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.

relaff

FWIW - When Paul says "I die daily" I take that to a height of...if I die daily I'm going to need supernatural strength for that so I need to read my Bible daily.

I know that's a leap but it helps me stick with my commitment (to the King).

I found the website but not the booklet. I'll send you a PM once I can do that (I think 7 days after I became a member, so in 4-5 days.

I think you're absolutely right about reading scripture daily. I always find excuses, but that's not good and probably the work of the other side. But I'm the one who can overcome it with the help of the Lord.

I'm praying that the Lord will keep you active in spreading his word!

Thanks again

theophilus

@relaff

@relaff

When you have read through the Bible a number of times you'll find that it starts to coalesce into a fluid whole. You begin to understand why who said what and just where and what they were referring to.

There are some passages and verses that I still don't get, so, yes, I do use commentaries. The Holy Spirit knows I am somewhat "hearing impaired" so a commentary is, essentially, a brief explanation (perhaps a man's opinion) on what the biblical writers really meant (as thoroughly as we can know that - ???).

More than less I will go and glean from the Puritans and early church fathers. There are MANY sites on the web with free downloadable sermons, i.e. CCEL, Grace-Gems, GTY, Phil Johnson's Spurgeon Archive, etc...that have MANY "takes" on Scripture.

I just try to be careful about who I read.

If I'm doing an in-depth study I will turn to a commentary AND a lexicon.

MacArthur is my favorite because he teaches the hard things WELL.

If you want links to these free resources let me know.

Grace to you!