Hello everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wessex Man

Ok, I also read Wessex's post but did not get a lot of it. What is a Perenialist? Thanks so much for your patience with me!
He meant educational perennialists I believe, I meant the comparative religion kind who are quite different; they are metaphysicians of an extremely traditional kind in general. Checkout the links I gave to lightbringer.

lucy

He meant educational perennialists I believe, I meant the comparative religion kind who are quite different; they are metaphysicians of an extremely traditional kind in general. Checkout the links I gave to lightbringer.

Hmmm, you are still way over my head. :eek: I don't know anything about metaphysics, but I will look up the links you mentioned.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Thank you for your reply! So, do I understand the following to be things you believe, correct?

You ask, if your understanding is correct of my belief, before I have been able to read your statement? Strange way to start!

- You do believe in God, just not my God

Are you asking if my concept of God is the same as yours ? Do you know what God is? Do I?

Yes I do believe in God and it is not relevant if it is the same God as you believe in. It is a belief in Deity.

- You believe Jesus was a good teacher, but not that he is divine

I believe that Jesus was a good teacher and prophet, I do not know that he is divine.

- You disagree with the basic message of the Bible that Jesus is the only way to God - there are many ways to God

Yes...this is your belief, why is it so important to you, if I agree or disagree with the messages of your Bible?

- Animals have souls and spirits just like people do?

Are you saying that you believe that the soul and spirit are one and the same? I'll save you the trouble and answer that now, I do not!

Spirit: An animating or vital principle held to give life to physical organisms.

Soul: The moral and emotional nature of human beings.

This is tedious...please read post #199 "It is the nature of the beast, man is animal, with attributes that the lower animal kingdom was not given, the ability to learn from experiences and reason out why we need to change."

-Truth is relative - at least spiritual truths. Truths like gravity are absolute, but if we are talking spiritual truth, you can believe whatever works for you?

Truth is subjective, relative, objective and absolute.

Truth is a commodity and can have a variety of meanings, from the state of being the case, being in accord with a particular fact or reality, being in accord with the body of real things, events, actuality, or fidelity to an original or to a standard. In archaic usage it could be fidelity, constancy or sincerity in action, character, and utterance. The term has no single definition about which a majority of professional philosophers and scholars agree, and various theories and views of truth continue to be debated.

-You believe Jesus taught a new path to God

The message of Jesus was that he died for the sins of man, and that though him man could attain ever lasting salvation if man would believe in him.

Was that taught before, Jesus was a one time event correct?

- His message has no connection to the teachings of the Old Testament?

If you have read the OT and the NT you should know the answer, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter, I'm not a Christian.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Nicer than God (Enyart)."
"Christians today are nicer than God. Or at least they are trying to be so. In the Church there is a standard of niceness that Jesus failed to reach while on earth. Comparing God's attitude and behavior with that of the Church today shows that believers are far more polite, tolerant, understanding and respectful to the wicked than God is..."

Nicer Than God http://kgov.com/writings/nicer-god

"I don't like to be misquoted or have my posts taken out of context."
A few housekeeping items: I answer to the point that I believe is the most important (just to move things along).
[You acted as if God's character has changed from the Old Testament to the New.] "Did I now? Please, by all means, show me where I have 'acted' this way."
You said: ""Jesus did not quote the OT to her..."

[Worship is loving God when you hurt.] "Some people can't do that. That's my point."
That does not make their rebellious reaction right (Ec 7:9; Mt 5:22; Ro 12:19). Don't justify the wicked (Prov 17:15).

Wessex Man

Hmmm, you are still way over my head. :eek: I don't know anything about metaphysics, but I will look up the links you mentioned.

Well metaphysics is pretty similar to theology only it is more universal(ie not Hindu or Christian or Buddhist.) and does not have to bow to the theological needs of the particular revelations or traditions. The major orthodox traditions are pretty close to pure metaphysics(though they are not exhaustive because metaphysics is the study of reality or the absolute which is infinite.) though most are a little at variance due to various reasons and have their own perspectives, viewpoints and emphasises. It is Platonism, Vendantism and apparently Sufism(though my knowledge of the latter is limited.) which best approach pure metaphysics but that takes little away from the religions(by which I mean the major orthodox traditions.) who have a different role to play and whose variances with pure metaphysics are often necessary outcomes of the needs of this role.

Nightangel1282

Yep, yep! When I was a kid, I read all sorts of books on Egyptians and Ancient Greece. I really love Celtic cultures...Ireland in particular. Tuatha Du Dannan and the Sidhe.
I've read up on them too. I really should do more reading on them, come to think of it lol.

Oh, awesome! hehehe!

I've seen quite a few actually. There was a small boy in the house we used to live in. I saw him several times as did my kids. Lots more..can't wait to chat :D
We suspect the place we're living in right now is haunted. We've heard footsteps, had someone knock on the door and then found nobody was there, but the most active entity seems to be a black cat. My mom and I have both seen it (just bare glimpses that leave us wondering if we've seen anything at all), but we hear scratching on the doors, and when we're lying in bed at night, we feel what seems to be a cat jumping onto our beds and walking around, sometimes curling up. While we do own cats, I can't blame them for MY experiences, because I never allow animals to sleep in my room and keep my door closed at night.

Uh, remind me to never tick you off! :D
I don't think you could do anything to tick me off at this point. You seem really nice and not the type to judge people based upon their faith, unlike a certain someone else that I shall not name.

Thunder's Muse

"Christians today are nicer than God. Or at least they are trying to be so. In the Church there is a standard of niceness that Jesus failed to reach while on earth. Comparing God's attitude and behavior with that of the Church today shows that believers are far more polite, tolerant, understanding and respectful to the wicked than God is..."

Nicer Than God http://kgov.com/writings/nicer-god

Thank you for posting the whole quote. Can't read where Enyart actually says "you must be nicer than God", so I'll assume you were taking poetic license.

A few housekeeping items: I answer to the point that I believe is the most important (just to move things along).

I was referring to this:

Originally Posted by Thunder's Muse
Response to comment [from a Christian]: [Nicer Than God by Enyart] "I'm not discussing this with him. I'm discussing it with you."

But you do have a habit of only answering a few words at a time, rather than everything I've stated. This takes what I've said out of context. If you are going to quote someone, use the entire quote, otherwise it's just like tabloid reporting.

You said: ""Jesus did not quote the OT to her..."

I have re-read this entire thread and I did not post anything even remotely like this.

That does not make their rebellious reaction right (Ec 7:9; Mt 5:22; Ro 12:19). Don't justify the wicked (Prov 17:15).

I'm not justifying anything. People need God. I'm talking about they way some people go about it. Ever heard the saying 'too heavenly to be any earthly good."?

Thunder's Muse

I've read up on them too. I really should do more reading on them, come to think of it lol.

I have a 'get to' reading list that's as long as my arm. LOL! My youngest starts school next year, so I plan to get busy with all that stuff.

We suspect the place we're living in right now is haunted. We've heard footsteps, had someone knock on the door and then found nobody was there, but the most active entity seems to be a black cat. My mom and I have both seen it (just bare glimpses that leave us wondering if we've seen anything at all), but we hear scratching on the doors, and when we're lying in bed at night, we feel what seems to be a cat jumping onto our beds and walking around, sometimes curling up. While we do own cats, I can't blame them for MY experiences, because I never allow animals to sleep in my room and keep my door closed at night.

Ooohhh... that's cool. I'll have to PM you :)

I don't think you could do anything to tick me off at this point. You seem really nice and not the type to judge people based upon their faith, unlike a certain someone else that I shall not name.

Ah, thank you :)

I like you too....you're my kinda girl :)

lucy

I have re-read this entire thread and I did not post anything even remotely like this.

Re: Jesus did not quote the OT to her....

I think that was in one of my replies...

lucy

Yes...this is your belief, why is it so important to you, if I agree or disagree with the messages of your Bible?

That was not my point. I was just trying to figure out where you are coming from since at times it seems that you believe some of the things that are in the Bible and at others you don't. For instance, you believe in Jesus but not that he is divine. Just trying to understand, that's all.

Are you saying that you believe that the soul and spirit are one and the same? I'll save you the trouble and answer that now, I do not!

No, I don't believe they are the same either; however, I don't believe animals have a spirit. I don't have the same concept of "spirit" as you. I see the spirit of a person as that which can communicate with God or deity. I don't believe animals have that kind of spirit. I do believe they have a soul, which as you believe, I think has to do with emotions and will.

Soul: The moral and emotional nature of human beings.

Truth is subjective, relative, objective and absolute.

I disagree; I don't think Truth can be all of these things at once. Truth can be factual as opposed to a falsehood, truth can be absolute, like the law of gravity, truth can be objective, like "there are 12 inches in a foot".. Relative "truth" is an oxymoron if you ask me.

Truth is a commodity and can have a variety of meanings, from the state of being the case, being in accord with a particular fact or reality, being in accord with the body of real things, events, actuality, or fidelity to an original or to a standard. In archaic usage it could be fidelity, constancy or sincerity in action, character, and utterance. The term has no single definition about which a majority of professional philosophers and scholars agree, and various theories and views of truth continue to be debated.

I don't see truth as "commodity" whose meaning changes with the viewpoint or the desires/motives of the individual. It is not a "product" or "convenience" that morphs with the whim of the individual. When it is treated like this, when truth is considered to be relative by a society, the result is that there is no standard for morality or law. Whatever the individual believes then becomes his/her standard of truth. That is a slippery slope if you ask me.

The message of Jesus was that he died for the sins of man, and that though him man could attain ever lasting salvation if man would believe in him.

Was that taught before, Jesus was a one time event correct?

Prophecies in the OT spoke of a Messiah to come who would save His people from their sins. His name was not mentioned specifically, but His character and His deity were clearly stated.

If you have read the OT and the NT you should know the answer, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter, I'm not a Christian.

Fair enough...

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
That was not my point. I was just trying to figure out where you are coming from since at times it seems that you believe some of the things that are in the Bible and at others you don't. For instance, you believe in Jesus but not that he is divine. Just trying to understand, that's all.

Eclectic: selecting what appears to be best in various doctrines, methods, or styles, composed of elements drawn from various sources. A loose definition of Perennialism, a Perennialists holds to an established orthodox religion.

Eclecticism: a conceptual approach that does not hold rigidly to a single paradigm or set of assumptions, but instead draws upon multiple theories, styles, or ideas to gain complementary insights into a subject, or applies different theories in particular cases.

No, I don't believe they are the same either; however, I don't believe animals have a spirit. I don't have the same concept of "spirit" as you. I see the spirit of a person as that which can communicate with God or deity. I don't believe animals have that kind of spirit. I do believe they have a soul, which as you believe, I think has to do with emotions and will.

Soul: The moral and emotional nature of man which connects us with deity.

Emotion: the affective aspect of consciousness : feeling, a state of feeling, a conscious mental reaction subjectively experienced as strong feeling usually directed toward a specific object and typically accompanied by physiological and behavioral changes in the body.

Animals have morals? They know right from wrong?

Morals: The adherence to, ideals, customs, standards, mores, policies, beliefs, dogmas, social standards, and principles.

Will: (Free Will) The power of making free choices that are unconstrained by external circumstances or by an agency such as fate or divine will. Our ability to decide to accept the Divine or reject it. If I'm not mistaken, your Bible has many passages covering free will.

Spirit: An animating or vital principle held to give life to physical organisms.

If you are unfortunate enough to witness the passing of a human life, you can see the spirit leave the body by watching the eyes. Once the spirit leaves the body, life is no longer apparent and the soul returns to the Divine Maker.

I disagree; I don't think Truth can be all of these things at once. Truth can be factual as opposed to a falsehood, truth can be absolute, like the law of gravity, truth can be objective, like "there are 12 inches in a foot".. Relative "truth" is an oxymoron if you ask me.

I don't see truth as "commodity" whose meaning changes with the viewpoint or the desires/motives of the individual. It is not a "product" or "convenience" that morphs with the whim of the individual. When it is treated like this, when truth is considered to be relative by a society, the result is that there is no standard for morality or law.

We will just have to add you to the list of philosophers and continue with the debate.

The term has no single definition about which a majority of professional philosophers and scholars agree, and various theories and views of truth continue to be debated.

Whatever the individual believes then becomes his/her standard of truth. That is a slippery slope if you ask me.

Do Christians believe = Jesus is the only way to salvation (Christian truth?), the 10 Commandments (Christian truth?)etc. , are these not Christian TRUTH? If it is, then "whatever the individual believes becomes his/her truth!?"

Do you feel you are on a slippery slope?

Prophecies in the OT spoke of a Messiah to come who would save His people from their sins. His name was not mentioned specifically, but His character and His deity were clearly stated.

Prophesies of the coming Messiah are held by many religious beliefs.
The Jews are still waiting for theirs, and if I am not mistaken, the OT was the Divine word of God given to the Jews. Correct?

So why should we accept your version over any other?

According to the Bible, Jesus was a Jew and was teaching a new way (Neo-Christianity) therefore your belief morphed from Judaism, changing it and becoming Christianity, but all the while trying to hold onto the foundation that Judaism provided.

Not unlike the Neo-Pagan beliefs of today, they are trying to resurrect old beliefs and bring them anew.

Fair enough...

I do not wish to slander or cast aspersions on your belief structure, but at the same time I will not allow any one to take my Free Will (Freedom of Choice) from me.

Those that wish to follow a specific religion have that right as long as it does not violate the law of the land. This protection has not always been in effect or enforced and many atrocities where committed in the name of the Lord? Simply due to the belief, "Mine is better than yours"?

"An it harm none, do as thy will"
^
^
Kind of covers all the bases!

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Can't read where Enyart actually says "you must be nicer than God", so I'll assume you were taking poetic license."
It's the title of the writing. It was referenced and linked earlier in the thread.

[OT scripture reference] "...I did not post anything even remotely like this..."
I'm sorry. My mistake.

That was Lucy:

"Jesus did not quote the OT to her..." http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2219975#post2219975

You said:

"upposing she was angry with God, do you really think bombarding her with scripture is the best way to go?" http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2219293&highlight=bombarding#post2219293

"I'm not justifying anything...I'm talking about they way some people go about it. Ever heard the saying 'too heavenly to be any earthly good."?"
Go about it as you wish. That's a good thing. :thumb:

The expression is: "too heavenly-minded to be of any earthly good!” It means--put your faith in shoe leather. Care about others enough to tell them the truth.

Last edited:

Thunder's Muse

It's the title of the writing. It was referenced and linked earlier in the thread.

Actually, the title of the piece you posted a link to was 'Nicer than God."

A little different to "you must be nicer than God". Quoting is a precise thing. Must be careful not to misquote anyone.

I'm sorry. My mistake.

That was Lucy:

"Jesus did not quote the OT to her..." http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2219975#post2219975

It happens. No big deal.

You said:

"upposing she was angry with God, do you really think bombarding her with scripture is the best way to go?" http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2219293&highlight=bombarding#post2219293

Yes. I did say that.

Go about it as you wish. That's a good thing. :thumb:

:)

The expression is: "too heavenly-minded to be of any earthly good!” It means--put your faith in shoe leather. Care about others enough to tell them the truth.

Shoe leather? I thought it meant something along the lines of, being too Godly you are unable to see the suffering of others...or some such thing.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Actually, the title of the piece you posted a link to was 'Nicer than God."
A few times in the thread, right.

A little different to "you must be nicer than God...Quoting is a precise thing."
Enyart has said both--but say he hadn't :)sherlock:Technical Stuff). When quoting an individual, you may paraphrase them (either way of course crediting them with the original thought or idea). I'm old school--I like The Little Brown Handbook and Strunk & White Elements of Style.
"Shoe leather? I thought it meant something along the lines of, being too Godly you are unable to see the suffering of others...or some such thing."
It reminds me of the bumper sticker: "The rapture is not an exit strategy". I believe the libs intended to mock President Bush and of course Christians by it, but it made me think of James 2:26.

When did Americans adopt this phrase "exit strategy" anyway? We used to call it winning. Reagan had it right "We win. They loose."

Back to the original point--the Christian is to warn others of sin (Eze 33:9; Da 4:27). The Christian is not to rebuke other Christians for warning others of sin.

Last edited:

Thunder's Muse

Enyart has said both--but say he hadn't :)sherlock:Technical Stuff). When quoting an individual, you may paraphrase them (either way of course crediting them with the original thought or idea). I'm old school--I like The Little Brown Handbook and Strunk & White Elements of Style. .

Ok, well having worked as a Tourism Journalist, I was taught to quote precisely. I have a thing for grammar etc...bad habit, maybe?

It reminds me of the bumper sticker: "The rapture is not an exit strategy". I believe the libs intended to mock President Bush and of course Christians by it, but it made me think of James 2:26.

When did Americans adopt this phrase "exit strategy" anyway? We used to call it winning. Reagan had it right "We win. They loose."

Well, I'm an Aussie, so I have no idea about American Politics, apart from what gets reported here.

Back to the original point--the Christian is to warn others of sin (Eze 33:9; Da 4:27). The Christian is not to rebuke other Christians for warning others of sin.

I don't think I was rebuking you...simply asking if you truly believe bombarding someone with scripture is the best way to go? I do believe Christians need to tell people about God etc...I needed to hear it and wouldn't be saved now unless someone did talk to me about it. I also understand that your motives are based on love.

However, the emotional and psychological state of a person is indeed important to keep in mind. A person still consumed with anger and hurt from sexual abuse, is not going to be open to 'fire and brimstone' preaching.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
conduction of the "word" .........

conduction of the "word" .........

I don't think I was rebuking you...simply asking if you truly believe bombarding someone with scripture is the best way to go? I do believe Christians need to tell people about God etc...I needed to hear it and wouldn't be saved now unless someone did talk to me about it. I also understand that your motives are based on love.

However, the emotional and psychological state of a person is indeed important to keep in mind. A person still consumed with anger and hurt from sexual abuse, is not going to be open to 'fire and brimstone' preaching.

Such tactics can make an individual more hostile towards such a 'caricature' of 'God', so it might behoove one to consider how 'true' their presentation of God actually is and its effect on the other person, in which case the messenger has some responsibility. If one is presenting a false or perverted 'presentation' of God,...he convolutes the issues complicating matters, so the manner(attitude, spirit, intent) of delivery and sharing is important.

Spouting long lists of scripture has nil effect on me, because I see thru all that and have a different apprectiation of 'scripture'(all inspired writings) and their "use".

Namaste :)

pj

Nightangel1282

I have a 'get to' reading list that's as long as my arm. LOL! My youngest starts school next year, so I plan to get busy with all that stuff.
Awwww.... Little ones!! My sis has three and her youngest is starting school next year too! :) I have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to be a handful for the teachers :p
As for the 'reading list'... I know how THAT feels! I've got my own list of books to buy lol. I don't like just getting books from the library anymore... Now I've gotta BUY them. I've got two book shelves stuffed with books of almost all descriptions.

Ooohhh... that's cool. I'll have to PM you :)
Feel free :) When I get the ability to, I'll gladly PM you back. My family has an interesting history when it comes to paranormal encounters. (Wait until I tell you about my Great-grandfather's coo-coo clock!)

Ah, thank you :)

I like you too....you're my kinda girl :)
Aww, thanks. :) I look forward to having long discussions with you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.