Hell

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You keep saying...

And adding to the Word...pulling arguments from silence...

For the first heaven and the first earth had PASSED AWAY...nothing remaining burning in the corner over there...

Rev 21 All things new...not in the corner over there...that lake is clarified as SECOND DEATH...so death itself was dead...passed away as it said in verse 1...fini...done...

NO MORE sorrow tears or pain...verse 4...think those in hell agree?

Rev 22:3 ...”NO MORE curse”...those being tormented would disagree...as the curse would still be
You just don't get it, do you?

I refuse to respond to your arguments because they are based on a false premise. To do so would only validate your false premise.

eleos

you are wrong :carryon:

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

So he's being tormented in hell flames and all he asks for is something to cool his tongue?

Luke 16

30‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone is sent to them from the dead, they will repent.’

Any other scripture that states those (humans) who have died have the ability to converse with others after dieing an earthly death?

Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten.

Last edited:

clefty

You just don't get it, do you?
right...not the way you do...is why this discussion...

I refuse to respond to your arguments because they are based on a false premise. To do so would only validate your false premise.

I base my arguments on how He answered the condition of His friend Lazarus...he is asleep...dead...

or did He lie? Deceive? As Lazarus was actually at Abraham’s Bosom Motel or on the other side of the gulf...

I base my argument that John was in the Spirit having a vision...as there is not actually a woman standing on the moon dressed with the sun...we would see that...

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
right not the way you do is why this discussion...

I base my arguments on how He answered the condition of His friend Lazarus...he is asleep...dead...

or did He lie? Deceive? As Lazarus was actually at Abraham’s Bosom Motel or on the other side of the gulf...

You've apparently never heard of a euphemism.

I base my argument that John was in the Spirit having a vision...as there is not actually a woman standing on the moon dressed with the sun...we would see that...

You also apparently can't understand figurative language.

clefty

You've apparently never heard of a euphemism.
sure I have...but it is not just that especially when He cleared it up by concluding he was not asleep but dead...DEAD

Not at Abraham’s Bosom motel either...

You also apparently can't understand figurative language.
sure I can...that lake of fire death and sin and Satan and everything all burnt up is a good figurative to describe what it will be like when all is made new...no sorrow no pain no tears no curse

All that gone...no more...

Maybe thrown into something that becomes a sea of glass...?

All figurative...

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
sure I have...but it is not just that especially when He cleared it up by concluding he was not asleep but dead...DEAD

Not at Abraham’s Bosom motel either...

He cleared it up because they were being basket cases.

They thought He meant that Lazarus was just asleep, that he would get well again.

Seriously, when was the last time you read your Bible?

These things He said, and after that He said to them, [JESUS]“Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”[/JESUS]Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.”However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.Then Jesus said to them plainly, [JESUS]“Lazarus is dead.And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him.”[/JESUS]Then Thomas, who is called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with Him.” - John 11:11-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John11:11-16&version=NKJV

John was very explicit.

sure I can...that lake of fire death and sin and Satan and everything all burnt up is a good figurative to describe what it will be like when all is made new...no sorrow no pain no tears no curse

All that gone...no more...

Maybe thrown into something that becomes a sea of glass...?

All figurative...

And there's that "all or nothing" attitude of yours.

Have you ever considered that the Bible is to be read literally, but not woodenly literally?

You're presenting a false dichotomy.

You: It's either all literal or it's all figurative.

Me: Most is literal, with figures of speech mixed in like how any normal person speaks.

ttruscott

hell is the fiery side of the place of the dead

Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Hell here is hades: 86 [e] had ᾅδῃ[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]which is not the place of eternal death called the outer darkness but the place of the waiting dead, waiting for the judgement to the outer darkness.

ttruscott

Rev 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

...and this place containing the lake of fire is called the outer darkness, Strong's G4655 [e] skotos darkness G1857 [e] exōteron outer in Matthew 8:12, Matthew 25:30 Luke 13:28.

way 2 go

So he's being tormented in hell flames and all he asks for is something to cool his tongue?

Luke 16

30‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone is sent to them from the dead, they will repent.’

Any other scripture that states those (humans) who have died have the ability to converse with others after dieing an earthly death?

For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten.

1Sa 28:15 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" Saul answered, "I am in great distress, for the Philistines are warring against me, and God has turned away from me and answers me no more, either by prophets or by dreams. Therefore I have summoned you to tell me what I shall do."

clefty

He cleared it up because they were being basket cases.

They thought He meant that Lazarus was just asleep, that he would get well again.

Seriously, when was the last time you read your Bible?

These things He said, and after that He said to them, [JESUS]“Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”[/JESUS]Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.”However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.Then Jesus said to them plainly, [JESUS]“Lazarus is dead.And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, that you may believe. Nevertheless let us go to him.”[/JESUS]Then Thomas, who is called the Twin, said to his fellow disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with Him.” - John 11:11-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John11:11-16&version=NKJV

John was very explicit.
yup...asleep...dead...not at Abraham’s Bosom motel...

And there's that "all or nothing" attitude of yours.

Have you ever considered that the Bible is to be read literally, but not woodenly literally?

You're presenting a false dichotomy.

You: It's either all literal or it's all figurative.

Me: Most is literal, with figures of speech mixed in like how any normal person speaks.

LOL...John had a literal vision...

clefty

1Sa 28:15 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" Saul answered, "I am in great distress, for the Philistines are warring against me, and God has turned away from me and answers me no more, either by prophets or by dreams. Therefore I have summoned you to tell me what I shall do."

Uh oh...looks like Abraham was wrong about that one rising from the dead not being convincing...I mean here even a demon masquerading as dead Samuel was convincing

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
yup...asleep...dead...not at Abraham’s Bosom motel...

You're assuming that death means unconscious or cessation of existence.

Yet that's not what the Bible describes.

The Bible describes death as separation, not unconsciousness or non-existence.

God is the God of the living, not of the dead, yet Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are all dead, yet God is still the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

This (that God is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, AND that God is the God of the living, not the dead) IS ONLY TRUE if "death" = separation.

Physical death = separation of soul/spirit from body

Spiritual death = separation of soul/spirit (and body) from God.

LOL...John had a literal vision...

And yet, what he saw will be ACTUAL EVENTS.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Uh oh...looks like Abraham was wrong about that one rising from the dead not being convincing...

Well, that certainly explains why you don't believe Jesus...

I mean here even a demon masquerading as dead Samuel was convincing

Thinking Samuel being raised from the dead is merely a symptom of you misunderstanding scripture.

Or what, do you think that Lazarus was also just a demon masquerading as Lazarus?

Aimiel

Ascending forever and ever it would at some point reach into outer space and in a vaccum like the nothingness of space it would dissipate...so

1. It’s magical smoke ascending forever never dissipating...which at some point fills the universe?
2. John got the physics wrong...
3. It’s symbolism...teaching tool

BTW Smoke can outlast the fire...so the torment could end as the fire is burnt out its smoke continuing to ascend...forever?

There can also be fire without smoke...
There's smoke though, so there is torment... forever.

eleos

Deuteronomy 18

10There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer 11or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, 12for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD. And because of these abominations the LORD your God is driving them out before you.

Saul was aware of this instruction. He had evicted all mediums and spiritists from the land of Israel during his reign (1 Samuel 28:3). Therefore, when he consulted the witch at Endor, he was breaking God’s command as well as his own. The spirit that appeared to him could not have been from heaven, because God had specifically forbidden all such forms of communication with the dead.

If the spirit wasn’t Samuel, it could only have been a demon. Demons appearing to people on earth (and they do) does not tell us anything about life after death.

So with that. If the interpretation of Luke 16:18-31 is taken literally (was spoken by Jesus himself) then Jesus would be violating Deuteronomy 18:10-12 which is an abomination to the LORD which of course he would not due.

Therefore, Luke 16:18-31 must be a parable.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Deuteronomy 18

10There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer 11or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, 12for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD. And because of these abominations the LORD your God is driving them out before you.

Saul was aware of this instruction. He had evicted all mediums and spiritists from the land of Israel during his reign (1 Samuel 28:3). Therefore, when he consulted the witch at Endor, he was breaking God’s command as well as his own. The spirit that appeared to him could not have been from heaven, because God had specifically forbidden all such forms of communication with the dead.

This is a non sequitur.

Both your premise and conclusion are fine, but your premise doesn't lead to that conclusion.

I agree, the spirit that appeared before the witch (but not Saul) could not have come from heaven.

I agree, that God had forbidden such communication with the dead.

But just because God gave a law that said not to do something doesn't mean that it cannot be done at all.

If the spirit wasn’t Samuel,

This premise is false.

The spirit was, in fact, Samuel.

We know this because the text says so.

Spoiler
Now Samuel had died, and all Israel had lamented for him and buried him in Ramah, in his own city. And Saul had put the mediums and the spiritists out of the land.Then the Philistines gathered together, and came and encamped at Shunem. So Saul gathered all Israel together, and they encamped at Gilboa.When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart trembled greatly.And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.Then Saul said to his servants, “Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her.” And his servants said to him, “In fact, there is a woman who is a medium at En Dor.”So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes, and he went, and two men with him; and they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Please conduct a séance for me, and bring up for me the one I shall name to you.”Then the woman said to him, “Look, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off the mediums and the spiritists from the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life, to cause me to die?”And Saul swore to her by the Lord, saying, “ As the Lord lives, no punishment shall come upon you for this thing.”Then the woman said, “Whom shall I bring up for you?” And he said, “Bring up Samuel for me.”When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice. And the woman spoke to Saul, saying, “Why have you deceived me? For you are Saul!”And the king said to her, “Do not be afraid. What did you see?” And the woman said to Saul, “I saw a spirit ascending out of the earth.”So he said to her, “What is his form?” And she said, “An old man is coming up, and he is covered with a mantle.” And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground and bowed down.Now Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” And Saul answered, “I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do.”Then Samuel said: “So why do you ask me, seeing the Lord has departed from you and has become your enemy?And the Lord has done for Himself as He spoke by me. For the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, David.Because you did not obey the voice of the Lord nor execute His fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore the Lord has done this thing to you this day.Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with you into the hand of the Philistines. And tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The Lord will also deliver the army of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.”Immediately Saul fell full length on the ground, and was dreadfully afraid because of the words of Samuel. And there was no strength in him, for he had eaten no food all day or all night.And the woman came to Saul and saw that he was severely troubled, and said to him, “Look, your maidservant has obeyed your voice, and I have put my life in my hands and heeded the words which you spoke to me.Now therefore, please, heed also the voice of your maidservant, and let me set a piece of bread before you; and eat, that you may have strength when you go on your way.”But he refused and said, “I will not eat.” So his servants, together with the woman, urged him; and he heeded their voice. Then he arose from the ground and sat on the bed.Now the woman had a fatted calf in the house, and she hastened to kill it. And she took flour and kneaded it, and baked unleavened bread from it.So she brought it before Saul and his servants, and they ate. Then they rose and went away that night. - 1 Samuel 28:3-25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Samuel28:3-25&version=NKJV

Why you deny what is plainly and clearly written is beyond me.

it could only have been a demon. Demons appearing to people on earth (and they do) does not tell us anything about life after death.

Demons had nothing to do with 1 Samuel 28:3-25.

So with that. If the interpretation of Luke 16:18-31 is taken literally (was spoken by Jesus himself) then Jesus would be violating Deuteronomy 18:10-12 which is an abomination to the LORD which of course he would not due.

Therefore, Luke 16:18-31 must be a parable.

Another false premise, and a non-sequitur. Why would it be an abomination for Jesus, who is God, to describe what happened in Hell?

He wasn't inquiring of the dead, He was explaining what had gone on WITH the dead.

eleos

This is a non sequitur.

Both your premise and conclusion are fine, but your premise doesn't lead to that conclusion.

I agree, the spirit that appeared before the witch (but not Saul) could not have come from heaven.

I agree, that God had forbidden such communication with the dead.

But just because God gave a law that said not to do something doesn't mean that it cannot be done at all.

This premise is false.

The spirit was, in fact, Samuel.

We know this because the text says so.

Spoiler
Now Samuel had died, and all Israel had lamented for him and buried him in Ramah, in his own city. And Saul had put the mediums and the spiritists out of the land.Then the Philistines gathered together, and came and encamped at Shunem. So Saul gathered all Israel together, and they encamped at Gilboa.When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart trembled greatly.And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.Then Saul said to his servants, “Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her.” And his servants said to him, “In fact, there is a woman who is a medium at En Dor.”So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes, and he went, and two men with him; and they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Please conduct a séance for me, and bring up for me the one I shall name to you.”Then the woman said to him, “Look, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off the mediums and the spiritists from the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life, to cause me to die?”And Saul swore to her by the Lord, saying, “ As the Lord lives, no punishment shall come upon you for this thing.”Then the woman said, “Whom shall I bring up for you?” And he said, “Bring up Samuel for me.”When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice. And the woman spoke to Saul, saying, “Why have you deceived me? For you are Saul!”And the king said to her, “Do not be afraid. What did you see?” And the woman said to Saul, “I saw a spirit ascending out of the earth.”So he said to her, “What is his form?” And she said, “An old man is coming up, and he is covered with a mantle.” And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground and bowed down.Now Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” And Saul answered, “I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do.”Then Samuel said: “So why do you ask me, seeing the Lord has departed from you and has become your enemy?And the Lord has done for Himself as He spoke by me. For the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, David.Because you did not obey the voice of the Lord nor execute His fierce wrath upon Amalek, therefore the Lord has done this thing to you this day.Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with you into the hand of the Philistines. And tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The Lord will also deliver the army of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.”Immediately Saul fell full length on the ground, and was dreadfully afraid because of the words of Samuel. And there was no strength in him, for he had eaten no food all day or all night.And the woman came to Saul and saw that he was severely troubled, and said to him, “Look, your maidservant has obeyed your voice, and I have put my life in my hands and heeded the words which you spoke to me.Now therefore, please, heed also the voice of your maidservant, and let me set a piece of bread before you; and eat, that you may have strength when you go on your way.”But he refused and said, “I will not eat.” So his servants, together with the woman, urged him; and he heeded their voice. Then he arose from the ground and sat on the bed.Now the woman had a fatted calf in the house, and she hastened to kill it. And she took flour and kneaded it, and baked unleavened bread from it.So she brought it before Saul and his servants, and they ate. Then they rose and went away that night. - 1 Samuel 28:3-25 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Samuel28:3-25&version=NKJV

Why you deny what is plainly and clearly written is beyond me.

Demons had nothing to do with 1 Samuel 28:3-25.

Another false premise, and a non-sequitur. Why would it be an abomination for Jesus, who is God, to describe what happened in Hell?

He wasn't inquiring of the dead, He was explaining what had gone on WITH the dead.

If literal, then him telling story goes against the dead have the ability to speak, of which is an abomination and would not use this as a literal example. For Him to tell a story that it is possible for the dead to speak, He would be contradicting the teachings in Deuteronomy and other teachings regarding the same.

Matthew 22:32

31And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God: 32‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.

He is not God of the dead, because the dead know nothing ... and He has no further interaction with them until they are resurrected either in the 1st or second resurrection.

Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are dead and are awaiting resurrection.

”the rich man dead, speaking to Abraham who is dead, asking to send Lazaras who is dead.

If the dead know nothing ... they can not think or speak or anything. Nothing is the dead do not know anything.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If literal, then his story goes against the dead have the ability to speak, of which is an abomination and would not use this as a literal example. For Him to tell a story that it is possible for the dead to speak, He would be contradicting the teachings in Deuteronomy and other teachings regarding the same.

Where does it state that the dead cannot speak?

Matthew 22:32

31And as for the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was said to you by God: 32‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.

Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are dead are awaiting resurrection.

So then God is not still the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?

”the rich man dead, speaking to Abraham who is dead, asking to send Lazaras who is dead.

If the dead know nothing ... they can not think or speak or anything. Nothing is nothing.

I'm going to tell you right now that you are nowhere near mature enough to use Ecclesiastes in defense of your position.