Guns and Ploice an interesting perspective

musterion

Ploice is a the pronunciation of place by a certain British dialect (not sure which):

"'ere, you kids! Put that moggy back innit's rightful ploice or I'll cawl the peelers on ya, I will!"

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where I come from, it's perfectly spelled for how it's pronounced.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The difference is of course staggering.

America has a gun culture unlike anything else in the world. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing any time soon. Is it possible we'd ever get to the point where gun violence is remarkable and the police rarely have to use force? Possible, sure. But never in my lifetime. A century from now--maybe.

bybee

The difference is of course staggering.

America has a gun culture unlike anything else in the world. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing any time soon. Is it possible we'd ever get to the point where gun violence is remarkable and the police rarely have to use force? Possible, sure. But never in my lifetime. A century from now--maybe.

Does such a culture exist anywhere?

bybee

Uh...yeah. Check the article out, for one.

Well, I have not walked a mile in their moccasins so am somewhat skeptical. Violence is inherent in human nature. It finds a way to express itself regardless of restrictions.
A man's hands are potential weapons

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anyone who thinks guns are the problem is a moron.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Well, I have not walked a mile in their moccasins so am somewhat skeptical. Violence is inherent in human nature. It finds a way to express itself regardless of restrictions.
A man's hands are potential weapons

Well the facts speak for themselves. It is possible to have a civilized, modern society that's not awash with police brutality or firearms. I just doubt it's possible here. The love, fascination, and obsession with firearms is simply too deeply ingrained.

bybee

Well the facts speak for themselves. It is possible to have a civilized, modern society that's not awash with police brutality or firearms. I just doubt it's possible here. The love, fascination, and obsession with firearms is simply too deeply ingrained.

I know that you are aware that the history of this country contains an ever expanding frontier wherein each man, each family, each small band of folks had to tend to their own safety. They had to protect themselves from the bad guys as well as provide their own food and necessities.
So, yes, that independence which was contained within necessity is part of the American ethos.

Nazaroo

I know that you are aware that the history of this country contains an ever expanding frontier wherein each man, each family, each small band of folks had to tend to their own safety. They had to protect themselves from the bad guys as well as provide their own food and necessities.
So, yes, that independence which was contained within necessity is part of the American ethos.
Of course, Canada was a very similar settler demographic,
and also began as a frontier country...

Murder Rate: DEFINITION: Homicide rate per year per 100,000 inhabitants in various countries.

Jamaica: 60 murders / 100,000
USA: 5 murders / 100,000
CAN: 2 murders / 100,000

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Murder-rate

I'm not sure, but this might be related to the difference
for instance between Canada and the USA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJsiAz9qCmM

When Canadians are essentially "anonymous members of the public",
they seem to self-identify differently than Americans.

Its as if Americans feel they must "uphold" or enforce the
Protestant Work Ethic of the previous century,
even when America is now a "Post-Christian"/ Anti-Christian culture.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
USA is supposed to be Christian country and Japanese are pagan.

USA is much dangerous than some pagan nation.

so weird.

Nazaroo

The USA doesn't have the WORST Rape statistics, but its rating is abysmal
in comparison to other Western and civilized European countries.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Rape-rate

rapestats1.jpg

rapestats2.jpg

This Charming Manc

Is or was?

I can see high gun ownership was highly important in the 1800's but is it needed now?

Most Americans don't live on the frontier but in highly populated cities, the needs of current US culture are much more similar to current European culture than the frontier culture of the 1800's perhaps the times come when you can look to a society with laws that reflect that?