good morning breakfast clubbers

theophilus

Good morning theophilus. :)

I've seen those news photos of empty shelves before. It's good to be prepared all the time, if you're able to, you never know when the unforecasted event will happen. A few years ago, the entire county of San Diego was hit with a power outage. The scope of it was unprecedented - no working cash registers, gas pumps, ATMs... nothing. People ran out of gas on their way home from work and just abandoned their cars on the side of the road. Hours later, after the traffic jams, it was so eerie. I had my mom with me, but drove down at one point to check on her house, and the streets in a normally bustling city were almost completely deserted, and it was darkness as far as I could see, all the way to the horizon. No city lights, no traffic lights, just the occasional car passing by to break the blackness. I've never seen anything like it. That time, and the time of the Cedar Fire in 2003 were two times when it felt almost apocalyptic. And yet, it's a first world kind of apocalyptic... I think about people in other parts of the world where their entire lives are lived in times such as we only experience in brief moments.

And know how truly blessed we are to have been born in this country (that most of the rest of the world vilifies).

:)

theophilus

Birds destroyed my garden one year - they ate all the shoots when they came to the surface, and decimated my tomatoes. They wouldn't just eat one tomato, they'd poke holes in almost all of them. When I tried to put netting over the seedlings, they found ways under the netting. It was a frustrating year, but I figured the birds needed the garden more than I did.

My dad puts fake strawberries and fake tomatoes in his garden and the birds leave it alone.

Also, there is a fertilizer called "Milogranite" that repels rabbits AND deer. Available at most of the large chain hardware stores.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
a normal winter's day in the nearest small town:

Spoiler
nj%2Bsnow%2B215.JPG

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I tried calling Stan. Someone picked up the phone but didn't say anything for several minutes. I finally hung up. I did friend request Stan when I started posting again...it is still unanswered.

Haven't tried Mike...I need to write him a letter.

I sorely miss both of them.
Great.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That's a hoot!

I don't get many takers in the summer months but the second it gets cold outside everybody is rolling around on the ground, ribs sticking out of their "ears", and starving to death. :rolleyes:

I watch the finches change into their winter colors and, for the same reason, I get a heads up when Spring arrives and the males don their bright yellow hues.

They're MUCH more accurate than the local weatherman.

The nuthatches will sit just out of reach and complain until I go back in the house. :)

The blue-jays and siskins are just little feathered mobsters.

I don't know why your dad does it but it's a labor of love for me.

My dad does it, too.
Fascinating that finches are your season indicator. :) Finches are common at my parents' house also.

My dad started doing it because of my mom but I imagine he's grown to enjoy it too. :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'll bet the store shelves are clearing fast. Hope you're stocked up, and getting ready for a weekend movie or sports marathon, maybe. Take good care, kmo.

And good morning everyone. :)

We actually did go to the store today after work. It was pretty crowded. :chuckle: