Good Friday?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paraskeue is never translated in the NT as the sixth day of the week. In the Greek, the word means preparation, to make ready. Each house had to be unleavened before the first day of the feast.

Mark says it is. He clearly defines it for us.

Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,

The word used for the preparation of the Passover meal is always 'hetoimazo', never 'paraskeue'.

The weekly Sabbath is never translated in the NT as being the first day of Unleavened Bread.

Right, I never said it was.

After the Sabbath the women bought spices, prepared them and rested on the seventh day.

Those verses do not say anything about 'after the Sabbath'. That is a made up imposition on Scripture.

Luk 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
Luk 23:55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
Luk 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Last edited:

achduke

Mark says it is. He clearly defines it for us.

Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,

The word used for the preparation of the Passover meal is always 'hetoimazo'.

Right, I never said it was.

Those verses do not say anything about 'after the Sabbath'. That is a made up imposition on Scripture.

Luk 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
Luk 23:55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
Luk 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

John 19:31 says the day after the preparing day was a high Sabbath. Not a weekly Sabbath.

Joh 19:31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
John 19:31 says the day after the preparing day was a high Sabbath. Not a weekly Sabbath.

Joh 19:31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Contrary to popular opinion, a 'high Sabbath' is a weekly sabbath on which a feast day occurs, thus making it doubly sanctified.

'Preparation Day/Paraskeue' is the day before the weekly Sabbath.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices that they might come and anoint Him. (Mark 16:1 NKJV)

Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.
(Luke 23:56 NKJV)​

Two Sabbaths.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Now when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices that they might come and anoint Him. (Mark 16:1 NKJV)

Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.
(Luke 23:56 NKJV)​

Two Sabbaths.

Those verses are referring to one and the same weekly Sabbath...not two.

In Luke 23:56, they prepared(by the way, hetoimazo is the word, here) spices after viewing the tomb site and returning before sundown, the beginning of the weekly Sabbath.

In Mark 16:1, they bought more spices after the weekly Sabbath to add to what they had already prepared before the weekly Sabbath.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In Luke 23:56, they prepared(by the way, hetoimazo is the word, here) spices after viewing the tomb site and returning before sundown, the beginning of the weekly Sabbath.

And that day was the preparation and the Sabbath drew on. (Luke 23:54 (KJV)​

What is the Greek word that was translated by the term "drew on"?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In Mark 16:1, they bought more spices after the weekly Sabbath to add to what they had already prepared before the weekly Sabbath.

Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week... (Mark 16:9 KJV)​

In the Jewish culture when does a day begin?

rstrats

Steko,
re: "If one understands the plain statement of the text that the Lord Jesus ate the Passover meal at the appointed time with all Israel..."

Any thoughts on why is was important for the Messiah to eat the Passover at the appointed time, but not important that He be sacrificed at the appointed time?

achduke

Contrary to popular opinion, a 'high Sabbath' is a weekly sabbath on which a feast day occurs, thus making it doubly sanctified.

'Preparation Day/Paraskeue' is the day before the weekly Sabbath.

John 19:31 references High Day as Strongs Greek 3173, megas.

This is the same Greek term megas used in John 7:37 for the last Great day of the feast of tabernacles which is also a high sabbath.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink

There are normally 2 high sabbaths during passover and tabernacles and 1 weekly sabbath. Sometimes the High Sabbath does fall on a Weekly sabbath referred to in modern times as a Double Shabbat. The term Megas referred by John appears to be a High Sabbath for both Tabernacles and Passover.

A preparation day appears to be the day of preparation before a Sabbath not necessarily the sixth day of the week but also a High Sabbath.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Steko,
re: "If one understands the plain statement of the text that the Lord Jesus ate the Passover meal at the appointed time with all Israel..."

Any thoughts on why is was important for the Messiah to eat the Passover at the appointed time, but not important that He be sacrificed at the appointed time?

Was Messiah slain in the same place as the Passover lambs?
Were the Passover lambs crucified on a cross?
Types and antitypes are not one for one identical in Scripture.

The Lord Jesus ate the Passover at GOD's appointed time because He obeyed the commandment, but my main point is that the text says that He did eat the Passover on the evening after the lambs were killed. This cannot be denied without twisting Scripture. The text plainly says that He instructed His disciples to prepare the Passover on the day that the Passover was killed. How does one get around that and why would anyone want to, except to ignore it and make up their own story...for what reason...I don't know.
The made up idea that Christ and His disciples ate some kind of optional early Passover meal is ridiculous and speaks contrary to the text.

Mat 26:18 And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.

Mar 14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

Luk 22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.
Luk 22:8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.

How can people be so hardheaded to force their own narrative and ignore the plain sense of those Scriptures?

Does it or does it not say that on the day that the Passover must be killed, Jesus instructed His disciples to prepare the Passover so that they may eat it together?

Does the Lord say or does He not say, "With great desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer"?

If He eats the Passover before He suffers, then how is it possible to say that Israel ate the Passover after He suffered?
If His disciples prepared the Passover on the day that the Passover lambs must be killed, then why would one say that the Passover lambs weren't killed on that day but were killed on the next day when Christ was crucified?

For years, I taught that Christ was crucified at the same time that the lambs were being slain in the temple until I saw in the text that this is not so. I had heard that teaching from someone at some point and it certainly sounded good and made sense, so I taught it without question until I saw in the Scripture that it couldn't be. I'll go with Scripture instead of parroting a good story.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mar 14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

The Passover was killed on Nisan 14, the preparation day for Passover week. In Mark 14:12 the word prepare is hetoimazo which means to prepare, make ready.

This means that the preparation day is not necessarily on the sixth day of the week, it can be any day of the week.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Now you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month. Then the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it at twilight. And they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses where they eat it. Then they shall eat the flesh on that night, roasted in fire, with unleavened bread and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.
(Exodus 12:6-8 NKJV)​

The Passover was killed on the fourteenth and eaten that night which began the fifteenth. The next morning they left Egypt.

They departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month, on the day after the Passover the children of Israel went out with boldness in the sight of all the Egyptians. (Numbers 33:3 NKJV)​

The Passover lamb or goat was killed on Nisan 14 and eaten that night. Nisan 14 can occur on any day of the week just like July 4 or December 25 can occur on any day of the week.

To insist that the preparation day is always Friday is absurd and disproved by Mark 14:12.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Luk 22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.
Luk 22:8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.

How can people be so hardheaded to force their own narrative and ignore the plain sense of those Scriptures?

Does it or does it not say that on the day that the Passover must be killed, Jesus instructed His disciples to prepare the Passover so that they may eat it together?

In Luke 22:8 the word prepare is hetiomazo which means to prepare or make ready and can occur on any day of the week.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mat 26:18 And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.

And the the next is verse is Matthew 26:19 which says, "So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and they prepared the Passover."

The word prepare is hetoimazo which means to make ready or to prepare. This can refer to any day of the week, not necessarily Friday.