General Sports Thread

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In the Jenkinson book at least three home runs are listed as going further than 502 feet.

Left Field- 510 ft, Jimmie Foxx 08/16/1940
Center Field- 515 ft, Babe Ruth 06/22/1927
Right Field- 540 ft, Babe Ruth 05/16/1926

I was at Fenway last month for a 2 hour tour, and the tour guide said that Jim Rice and other guys have it further, but the balls left the park, and therefore, Ted Williams' home run is the "longest recorded home run at Fenway".

I don't know, maybe they just don't want someone other than Ted Williams having the longest home run. :idunno:

Maybe Granite knows what the deal is.

The Berean

Here is how Jenkinson ranks the top long distance home run hitters. He ranks Willie Stargell #7 all time.

Top100HRhitters_zps97ad54d0.jpg

The Berean

I was at Fenway last month for a 2 hour tour, and the tour guide said that Jim Rice and other guys have it further, but the balls left the park, and therefore, Ted Williams' home run is the "longest recorded home run at Fenway".

I don't know, maybe they just don't want someone other than Ted Williams having the longest home run. :idunno:

Maybe Granite knows what the deal is.

That doesn't make any sense. Ruth's home run stayed in Fenway. Lots of guys have hit the ball out of Fenway to short left field.

LongestHRFenway_zps03270c01.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That doesn't make any sense. Ruth's home run stayed in Fenway. Lots of guys have hit the ball out of Fenway to short left field.

Like I said, I can't figure it out either. Ask anyone in Boston, and they will tell you Ted Williams' red seat is the longest home run hit at Fenway.

Another thing Fenway has is the shortest distance to the right field foul pole. It's 302 feet to the right field foul pole, and the pole is called "Pesky's Pole" because they used to say that it was little 5'-9" Johnny Pesky's only chance of hitting a home run.

Pesky played for the Red Sox in the 40's.

The Berean

Like I said, I can't figure it out either. Ask anyone in Boston, and they will tell you Ted Williams' red seat is the longest home run hit at Fenway.

Another thing Fenway has is the shortest distance to the right field foul pole. It's 302 feet to the right field foul pole, and the pole is called "Pesky's Pole" because they used to say that it was little 5'-9" Johnny Pesky's only chance of hitting a home run.

Pesky played for the Red Sox in the 40's.

Fenway wasn't always so small.

FenwayPark1926.gif

But the worst was Yankee Stadium in Joe DiMaggio's time.

YankeeStadium1938.gif

Are you kidding me! How many home runs did DiMaggio lost because of his impossible home park?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
He ranks Willie Stargell #7 all time.

I would put him #4 ahead of Howard, Allen, and especially Mark McGuire.

It's interesting that he has Willie McCovey #8. McCovey and Stargell played almost exactly the same years, and they both had such similar swings. They even looked like each other at the plate.

I still remember the 1971 NLCS between the Pirates and Giants. The Giants were loaded. They had Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Bobby Bonds, Dave Kingman, Gaylord Perry, and Juan Marichal.

Did you know that early in that season (May 29, 1971), the Giants traded George Foster to the Reds?

That was a bad trade for the Giants.

The Berean

I would put him #4 ahead of Howard, Allen, and especially Mark McGuire.

It's interesting that he has Willie McCovey #8. McCovey and Stargell played almost exactly the same years, and they both had such similar swings. They even looked like each other at the plate.

Jenkinson ranked them based on each player's average of their top 10 longest home runs. McGwire takes a hit because of PED's. But Howard and Allen were legit long ballers for sure.

I still remember the 1971 NLCS between the Pirates and Giants. The Giants were loaded. They had Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Bobby Bonds, Dave Kingman, Gaylord Perry, and Juan Marichal.

Did you know that early in that season (May 29, 1971), the Giants traded George Foster to the Reds?

That was a bad trade for the Giants.
Yes, i know! It was a bad trade! I love Foster's rookie card. :rotfl:

030.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you kidding me! How many home runs did DiMaggio lodr because of his impossible home park?

Yes, but look how short it was to each foul pole.

It couldn't have been that hard of a park considering what Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, and Maris did there. (although I don't know how many they hit at Yankee Stadium compared to the one's they hit on the road)

Heck, Yogi Berra hit over 350 home runs (Again, I don't know how many were at Yankee Stadium)

Do you know what percentage of HR's that Ruth hit at home vs. on the road?

The Berean

Yes, but look how short it was to each foul pole.

It couldn't have been that hard of a park considering what Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, and Maris did there. (although I don't know how many they hit at Yankee Stadium compared to the one's they hit on the road)

Heck, Yogi Berra hit over 350 home runs (Again, I don't know how many were at Yankee Stadium)

Do you know what percentage of HR's that Ruth hit at home vs. on the road?

Joltin' Joe wasn't a pull hitter, though. Joe lost a lot of home runs to Yankee stadium.

Joe DiMaggio
Home: .315/.391/.546, 148 HR
Road: .333/.405/.610, 213 HR

Mantle was a switch hitter who had twice as many plate appearances left handed than right handed.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I love Foster's rookie card.

Foster hit 52 home runs in 1977.

Then, no one broke 50 home runs until Cecil Fielder hit 51 in 1990.

Prior to Foster's 52 in 1977, Willie Mays was the previous to do it when Mays hit 52 in 1965.

Therefore, George Foster was the only player to hit 50 or more home runs from 1965 - 1990.

Chris Davis hit 53 this year, and it's no big deal anymore.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mantle was a switch hitter who had twice as many plate appearances left handed than right handed.

If he played today, it would be the opposite with all the left handed pitchers.

Joltin' Joe wasn't a pull hitter, though. Joe lost a lot of home runs to Yankee stadium.

I see your point, it reminds me of what people used to say about Stargell.

Stargell played almost half his career at Forbes Field. It was over 400' to the right field power alley (where he hit most of his HR's). He ended up with 475 HR's, and everyone always wonders what he would have done had he not had to play his home games at Forbes Field all those years.

ForbesField.gif

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Speaking of Forbes Field.

Bill Mazeroski's home run in the bottom of the 9th of game 7 of the 1960 World Series has to be without question the greatest home run ever.

Even though they tore down Forbes Field in 1970, they left part of the outfield wall in place, and it's still there today.

5080697109_6750c1834c_z.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From that picture you posted, it says that center field at Yankee Stadium was 460'. That's pretty deep! The deepest centerfield today is Houston's Minute Maid Park at 436'

Center Field at Forbes Field was 457', and it's still there today:

2476661369_060074dc83_z.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Red Sox loss tonight ended their 9 game World Series winning streak.

The last time the Red Sox lost a World Series game was game 7 of the 1986 World Series.

The Red Sox swept the Cardinals in 2004, and the Colorado Rockies in 2007.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Does anyone know who or what determines ballpark dimensions? Beyond the bases, is there any maximum or minimum distances involved?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Does anyone know who or what determines ballpark dimensions?

MLB Rulebook, Rule 1.04: A distance of 320 feet or more along the foul lines and 400 feet or more to centerfield is preferable.

"preferable" being the operative word.

Anyway, what's the deal with Ted William's seat in right field at Fenway?

Granite

Hall of Fame
MLB Rulebook, Rule 1.04: A distance of 320 feet or more along the foul lines and 400 feet or more to centerfield is preferable.

"preferable" being the operative word.

Anyway, what's the deal with Ted William's seat in right field at Fenway?

It's hallowed ground!:chuckle:

Longest blast ever hit at Fenway--502 feet. Surprisingly cheap ($20 or so) but there are better places to watch the game in the ballpark.