General Sports Thread

john w

Hall of Fame
They knew Jim Calhoun was going to retire.

My step-son is a sophomore at UConn (I'm driving him back on Sunday). Anyway, it's one screwed up university. They play all the good basketball games in Hartford, which is 30 minutes away, and the bad games on campus at the Gampel Pavilion. All the football games are in Hartford.

Storrs, Connecticut is in the middle of nowhere. They have cows on campus because a lot of students study agriculture. People to the north of Storrs only care about the Boston teams, and people to the south of Storrs only care about the New York City teams.

Without Calhoun, UConn basketball is nothing. The ACC knew this.

UConn girls basketball is the best in the nation, but no one really cares because there is no revenue from girls basketball.

Syracuse is also in the middle of nowhere, but they have a big fan base in Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, and pretty much all of upstate New York.

North Carolina played at Syracuse last Saturday. It was broadcast nationwide on ESPN. It looked pretty good for the ACC having 31,000 people watching a basketball game at the Syracuse campus. They are predicting 38,000 for the Duke game at Syracuse.

Is your step son as fat, and bald, like you, stupid Craigie?

You taught me that.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm guessing the slam dunk contest will feature a bunch of 3rd string shooting guards and small forwards, as usual?

They would be schooled by Larry Nance and Dominique Wilkins. I didn't say "His Airness" because that should be understood without saying.

SaulToPaul 2

I remember watching the Lance one live.
In the olden days, the best players participated. Now they are too cool.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pitchers and catchers will get it rolling. And we have March madness starting with the conference tournaments before the big dance. And not long after, the NHL playoffs, which are the hardest fought playoff of any amateur or professional sport.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I just watched a documentary about the Harvard-Yale game in 1968 that ended 29-29.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Beats_Yale_29-29

It was pretty fascinating. A huge collapse by Yale.

Some of the stories were funny. I didn't know that Tommy Lee Jones played football and was a college roommate with Al Gore.

One of the Yale players was dating Meryl Streep at the time.
Another one was roommates with George W Bush and told a story of Bush being detained by police when they tore a goalpost down at Princeton. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I just watched a documentary about the Harvard-Yale game in 1968 that ended 29-29.
Lynah Rink at Cornell has a funny sports tradition or two. When a certain song is played by the band, at an end point in the line, everyone yells out, "Screw B.U.!" And the thing is, that's yelled out regardless of the opponent.

It started to steal the visiting B.U. fans' thunder when they played "Go B.U.!" with the Cornell home crowd instinctively stealing the last line and sending back the opposing sentiment. Now it's a fixture of Cornell games. :chuckle:

Also, it's tradition to hold up a newspaper (The Cornell Daily Sun) during the announcement of the opposing team line-up and chant, "Boooring. Boooring." until Cornell's line-up is announced. Then you toss the paper onto the ice.

Traditions. :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wichita State finished the season 34-0 heading into the NCAA tournament. Not too shabby. According to ESPN, the last time was UNLV when Duke pulled off the huge upset.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This one came out a week or so ago. The short take is my interest in it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tant-said-was-sexual-abuse-victim-sources-say

Prosecutors are expected to call McQueary to testify later this year at the criminal trial of former Penn State president Graham Spanier, former athletic director Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz, who are charged with crimes ranging from conspiracy to failure to report suspected abuse. If convicted, each would face a maximum of 39 years in prison.

I suppose 39 years is a good start for them hiding what was going on at Penn State.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Wichita State finished the season 34-0 heading into the NCAA tournament. Not too shabby. According to ESPN, the last time was UNLV when Duke pulled off the huge upset.

I will definitely be rooting for them in the tourney. :thumb: It's a good year for a mid-major team to win it all. There doesn't seem to be any clear favourite in the field.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pitchers and catchers will get it rolling. And we have March madness starting with the conference tournaments before the big dance. And not long after, the NHL playoffs, which are the hardest fought playoff of any amateur or professional sport.

Don't forget the NFL draft, Boston Marathon, and the Masters.

The last three weeks of March and first three weeks of April are a fun six weeks for sports.

March Madness
Opening Day of baseball
NFL Draft
NHL playoffs
NBA playoffs
Masters
Boston Marathon

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The NCAA is over as you know it. Not today, but it is coming. I think a college scholarship is a pretty good payment. But the universities, EA Sports, bowl committees have made hundreds of millions, even billions all together by prostituting athletes.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rn-wildcats-football-players-win-bid-unionize

NLRB regional director Peter Sung Ohr cited the players' time commitment to their sport and the fact that their scholarships were tied directly to their performance on the field as reasons for granting them union rights.

Their payment is based on playing sports, therefore they are employees. From that perspective, I don't see how one can disagree. Watch how fast the left shows they don't actually care about the small guy. The leftists universities and communist leaning ESPN are going to fight this hard, as if Obama was up for a third term.

This is the bottom line. They get a scholarship from their athletic performance.