General Sports Thread

SaulToPaul 2

Whoa?!! Was Tom Seaver your dad?!!!! :banana:

Seaver-STP_zpse370d21f.jpg

:chuckle:

I posted my baseball pic one other time, and you posted Seaver then too!

I wish I had had Tom's arm! I was told my fastball was clocked at 88, not sure when our how this was done. I relied mostly on a curve and split-finger.

Tom was mid to high 90s right?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They got some iffy calls but so do all great pitchers.

I think you are understating this. He makes a pitch outside and it is a called strike. Then the batter has to swing and the pitch in the dirt and Joe Morgan makes a phony statement like he really fooled him on that one. No he didn't. He had to swing.

The Berean

Your arm location and trailing leg instantly reminds me of Seaver.

I wish I had had Tom's arm! I was told my fastball was clocked at 88, not sure when our how this was done. I relied mostly on a curve and split-finger.

Yeah Terrific Tom was in the mid 90's with lots of movement on his fastball.

The Berean

I think you are understating this. He makes a pitch outside and it is a called strike. Then the batter has to swing and the pitch in the dirt and Joe Morgan makes a phony statement like he really fooled him on that one. No he didn't. He had to swing.

Well, I loved Joe as a ballplayer, but he wasn't much of a baseball announcer. He would fall back on tired baseball cliches way too much.

SaulToPaul 2

Well, I loved Joe as a ballplayer, but he wasn't much of a baseball announcer. He would fall back on tired baseball cliches way too much.

I always enjoyed it when Harry Caray had a few beers (usually by the 3rd inning) and started trying to pronounce the players names backwards.

"Up next for the Expos , Tim Raines. Backwards that is Sin-ar Mitt."

Grew up on Harry Caray.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'll still take Brown for that (and so does Sanders) but it's close enough to have fun talking about.
Brown is definitely in the talk. If I didn't say Sanders I would probably say Brown.

A necessary evil. He's a talented columnist and he has a middling popular television show, mostly driven by his more charismatic co-stars, but he couldn't have gotten half the spin and talk generated if he tried (and was allowed) to use them to make the argument.
I'm not sure if I'd say necessary, but I do hope some good comes from it. He got stripped of his HOF vote. Not surprising.

Excellent choices. Maddux had remarkable command of the ball and Glavine was just consistently amazing.
:thumb:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bo Jackson is the running back that bested Brown's ypc record for running backs. He does not have enough carries to be in the books on it. Barry...3rd best. Put him in Dallas with Moose running in front of him, maybe we change our mind.

It isn't like we haven't discussed or wondered about Sanders in place of Emmit Smith.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What's your first big league game?

Mine was August 4, 1980. LA Dodgers at Atlanta Braves. Jerry Reuss vs Phil Niekro.

October 1, 1972. NY Mets at Pittsburgh Pirates (Three Rivers Stadium). Jerry Koosman vs. Steve Blass.

* The previous day, Roberto Clemente hit a double for his 3,000th hit.

At the game they handed out posters to all the kids (I was 8 years old). The poster had a picture of Clemente and all the previous players who had 3,000 hits. HERE

I taped my poster to the wall in my bedroom, then threw it away a few years later. I wish I would have kept it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will air out a bunch of dirty laundry as the lawsuits unfold regarding ESPN(Al-Jazeera of sports) and the Big Ten. It goes back a few years but is moving forward now.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...and-acc-counterclaim-20140114,0,5109244.story

Here is some background to ESPN and they are not what they pretend to be. Although many of you get in line when ESPN says get in line.

http://www.businessinsider.com/scan...eams-to-take-from-big-east-conference-2011-10

When the Atlantic Coast Conference announced that Pittsburgh and Syracuse would be leaving the Big East and joining the ACC, it was seen as a logical move to expand the league’s footprint in the Northeast.

But as details on the backroom negotiations emerge, it is clear that the “worldwide leader” was a behind-the-scenes worldwide schemer, exerting its influence and driving the ACC toward the programs it wanted to have in the league.

We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

I have no doubt he was 100% candid when he said that.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have no doubt he was 100% candid when he said that.

Syracuse and Pitt football have some rich tradition, but for the last 20 years or so neither program has been much of anything.

So, I don't see how adding Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC was a football decision that ESPN was behind.

I think it's pretty obvious that Pitt and Syracuse went to the ACC because of basketball.

Louisville will be in the ACC next year. Again, they are a much better basketball program than football.

I don't think you get how big college basketball is on Tobacco Road.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, I don't see how adding Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC was a football decision that ESPN was behind.

The money in basketball is small potatoes compared to football. And there are players up and down the eastern seaboard. Who also are no longer hand picked by Paterno.

I take you also have not read any of the stories. UConn would be the basketball move, if it was basketball. And they were excluded because it is not about basketball.

BC athletic director Gene DeFilippo said:
It had nothing to do with basketball. It was football money which drove expansion. It was football money and securing our future.

During that process, the loudest voices in the room against expansion were Duke and North Carolina, with their feeling being that the ACC was fine competing as a solid football conference but remained one of the elite conferences in basketball.

Eventually, Duke and Carolina acquiesced. But after seven years, the ACC had not improved significantly in football. Miami and Florida State took a downward spiral, and while Virginia Tech was a perennial top 10 program, it never made it to the BCS title game. The ACC was never able to place two teams into BCS games and reap the significant financial benefit from that routinely earned by the SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/articles/2011/10/09/power_move_by_acc/?page=full

Of course that does not mean adding Syracuse in basketball would not be a great move (many wanted it), as the ACC dwindled in basketball, save for Duke and Carolina.

john w

Hall of Fame

Did you pitch like...

60Abernathy9.jpg

?

I dig subs...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I take you also have not read any of the stories. UConn would be the basketball move, if it was basketball. And they were excluded because it is not about basketball.

They knew Jim Calhoun was going to retire.

My step-son is a sophomore at UConn (I'm driving him back on Sunday). Anyway, it's one screwed up university. They play all the good basketball games in Hartford, which is 30 minutes away, and the bad games on campus at the Gampel Pavilion. All the football games are in Hartford.

Storrs, Connecticut is in the middle of nowhere. They have cows on campus because a lot of students study agriculture. People to the north of Storrs only care about the Boston teams, and people to the south of Storrs only care about the New York City teams.

Without Calhoun, UConn basketball is nothing. The ACC knew this.

UConn girls basketball is the best in the nation, but no one really cares because there is no revenue from girls basketball.

Syracuse is also in the middle of nowhere, but they have a big fan base in Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, and pretty much all of upstate New York.

North Carolina played at Syracuse last Saturday. It was broadcast nationwide on ESPN. It looked pretty good for the ACC having 31,000 people watching a basketball game at the Syracuse campus. They are predicting 38,000 for the Duke game at Syracuse.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The money in basketball is small potatoes compared to football.

If ESPN really played a significant part on who went to the ACC, I would find it hard to believe that ESPN didn't want UCONN in the ACC considering ESPN (Bristol, Conn) is about 45 minutes away from UCONN (Storrs, Conn), and about 15 minutes from Hartford (where UCONN plays football, and some basketball)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
ESPN is concerned with New York Sports, not UCONN sports. New York is where the money is. And with the Big Ten. Anyway, last night I watched OSU work its way into the NIT and it got me thinking, it is that time of year.

Jordan, Ewuing, Worthy, Floyd