Freedom From the Law and Religion

jzeidler

Chances are that he won't last long. People do not want that much truth today. They want to hear something about them. They want to hear about how they can please God by their good works and their piety.

Actually he is lasting a long time. People love him. Search YouTube 'Paul white God is love and love is...' I think you'll like it.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
"Who has made us able ministers of the New Testament; NOT of the letter (The Law) but of the Spirit: for the letter (Law) kills, but the Spirit gives life" 2 Corinthians 3:6.

Law and religion do not bring life, they bring death. Paul said, "For the letter (The Law) kills, but the Spirit brings life".

Religion, whether it be the Calvinist religion, the Catholic religion or whatever religion they all bring death not life. Have you ever noticed how morbid and depressing the Catholic religion is? It is no wonder that the priest wear black. They do not have any joy in their salvation, it is all like gloom and doom.

The words "LAW" and "RELIGION" basically mean the same thing. When one is doing their religion, they are doing the law. When they are doing the law they are doing their religion. The words are related and mean the same thing.

Paul wrote, "For I was without the law once; but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died and the commandment which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death" Romans 7:9, 10.

Law based religions bring death, not life, according to the apostle Paul. Those that are on the Forum who are encouraging us to live by the commandments are ministers of death. I didn't say that, Paul is saying that. Did you hear him?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO LIVE BY THE SPIRIT?

To live by the Spirit is to live by the Gospel and not by religion or law. Religious people are preoccupied with sin. The Spirit led Christian is not concerned about sin, he believes that sin has ALREADY been abolished by his death with Christ. "For he that is dead is freed from sin" Romans 6:7. When Jesus died on the cross we died with him. It is not untill you are free from sin that you can have power over sin.

When Jesus walked out of Joseph's new tomb we walked out with him. This is the beginning of God's new world order and the beginning of our new humanity. "If any man be "IN CHRIST" he is a new creation" 2 Corinthians 5:17. God now sees those that have believed on his Son Jesus Christ as new creations in Jesus Christ. It doesn't matter what you believe about yourself or what others believe about you. What matters is how God sees you. God sees us as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. Not because of what we are, but because of what Christ is and what he has accomplished on our behalf.
I don't think we have freedom from obeying God's commands. Do we have freedom from the punishment of the Law? What do you mean by freedom from the Law? Do those in the new covenant obey old covenant commands? Do those in the new covenant obey God's commands?

Are God's commands His Law? Are there commands of God that are not His Law?

Robert Pate

Banned
Actually he is lasting a long time. People love him. Search YouTube 'Paul white God is love and love is...' I think you'll like it.

I take that back. There is a small group of people that love the truth. Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14.

The Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19. Is not being preached in the organized church.

Robert Pate

Banned
I don't think we have freedom from obeying God's commands. Do we have freedom from the punishment of the Law? What do you mean by freedom from the Law? Do those in the new covenant obey old covenant commands? Do those in the new covenant obey God's commands?

Are God's commands His Law? Are there commands of God that are not His Law?

Paul said that we are free from the law, but you don't believe him.

He also said that to be under the law is to be under a curse, but you don't believe him.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Paul said that we are free from the law, but you don't believe him.

He also said that to be under the law is to be under a curse, but you don't believe him.
I believe I am to obey God's commands. The question I had was if I am to obey any of God's commands found in the Law.

Is there such a thing as obedience to the law of Christ?

I am not under the Law, I am under grace.

Am I under the law of Christ or only when I am witnessing to, evangelizing the unbeliever or professing believer if necessary, or sharing the gospel with someone without the law (of God)? Do I observe the law of Christ and as a Christian should I? There are two verses in the Bible that have the words law of Christ as a phrase.

Paul said he was not under the Law himself but that he had no problem witnessing to those under the Law as being under the Law. This is probably because he himself was once under the Law.

If a person is not under the Law, are they prohibited from talking about the Law or observing it? What do you think?

jzeidler

I take that back. There is a small group of people that love the truth. Jesus said, "Few there be that find it" Matthew 7:14.

The Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19. Is not being preached in the organized church.

I agree with you.

Robert Pate

Banned
I believe I am to obey God's commands. The question I had was if I am to obey any of God's commands found in the Law.

Is there such a thing as obedience to the law of Christ?

I am not under the Law, I am under grace.

Am I under the law of Christ or only when I am witnessing to, evangelizing the unbeliever or professing believer if necessary, or sharing the gospel with someone without the law (of God)? Do I observe the law of Christ and as a Christian should I? There are two verses in the Bible that have the words law of Christ as a phrase.

Paul said he was not under the Law himself but that he had no problem witnessing to those under the Law as being under the Law. This is probably because he himself was once under the Law.

If a person is not under the Law, are they prohibited from talking about the Law or observing it? What do you think?

Paul was trying to be all things to all men that he might win some.

You appear to be obsessed with the law, when you should be obsessed with the Gospel.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Paul was trying to be all things to all men that he might win some.

You appear to be obsessed with the law, when you should be obsessed with the Gospel.
The law is not the same as the gospel. I have preached the gospel and will continue to do so. Sometimes a presentation of the gospel involves the Law. Do you ever explain to people how they are sinners without using the Law? I believe this is acceptable to do.

Robert Pate

Banned
The law is not the same as the gospel. I have preached the gospel and will continue to do so. Sometimes a presentation of the gospel involves the Law. Do you ever explain to people how they are sinners without using the Law? I believe this is acceptable to do.

According to Paul the law made him want to sin, Romans 7:8-11.

And then he said... "For by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Yes, and that is the problem with speed laws, they just make you want to speed. And those warnings that say don't drink and drive just make you want to tie one on. And when Nancy said just say no that made everyone want to get high.

Yep, if a law says don't do something we need to get rid of that law, else how can we have total chaos with everyone doing what's right in their own eyes?

Pate, please don't do away with the law of gravity, we need that one.

:carryon:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Here is a verse from Romans. I have put these verses in order. You said, "and then he said" out of order.
And then he said... "For by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.
Romans 7:7 NASB - 7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, "YOU SHALL NOT COVET."

Robert Pate

Banned
Here is a verse from Romans. I have put these verses in order. You said, "and then he said" out of order.Romans 7:7 NASB - 7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, "YOU SHALL NOT COVET."

If Jesus abolished the law, Colossians 2:14 then let it be abolished.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
That which was against us was the commands or the commands and their punishment or just the punishment. If commands have punishment I can see how they would be against us if we break them. So, was the punishment taken out of the way? No reason to say not to obey God. Are you saying to obey in a new covenant way or the commands found in the New Testament or new covenant?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Jesus abolished the Mosaic ordinances contained in the Book of the Law, but Jesus had no reason to abolish the covenant.

The covenant is not against us, it is for us.

Robert Pate

Banned
That which was against us was the commands or the commands and their punishment or just the punishment. If commands have punishment I can see how they would be against us if we break them. So, was the punishment taken out of the way? No reason to say not to obey God. Are you saying to obey in a new covenant way or the commands found in the New Testament or new covenant?

I say forget about the law, it has been abolished.

Where there is no law there is no sin. We are now called to live by faith, Romans 1:17.

Robert Pate

Banned
Jesus abolished the Mosaic ordinances contained in the Book of the Law, but Jesus had no reason to abolish the covenant.

The covenant is not against us, it is for us.

Everything has been abolished, The Old Covenant, the law, and the Jewish religion. From now on the "Just shall live by faith" and not by rules laws or religion.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I say forget about the law, it has been abolished.

Where there is no law there is no sin. We are now called to live by faith, Romans 1:17.
Why do you say where there is no law there is no sin?

Sin existed before the law. Do you believe sin does not exist any more? Or, are you saying the law points out sin and that if you do away with the law either there is no longer any sin or it no longer points out sin?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Where there is no law there is no sin.

Oh yes there is. Look here.

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law. (Romans 2:12 NKJV)​

Abolishing the law does nothing regarding sin.

:nono: