Free Will

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
If man has a freewill, why does scripture say that he can't come to Christ without being drawn? So if the Father does not draw a person, they don't and can't come to Christ by their so called freewill!

Of course an initiator or one calling must first do the calling, but those who hear the call are free to 'respond' in whatever manner they will. Man has 'response-ability',.....I think we covered this :) - You're conflating man's ability to respond as some forced application, it is not.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe's One Liner Is Nice Eye Candy...Until Unpacked

Stripe's One Liner Is Nice Eye Candy...Until Unpacked

"Free will" is a tautology. If it's not free, it's not a will.
It is a nice sound bite until unpacked. :AMR:

Most people are still using the term without having defined it.

1. Man has a will—that is, the ability to make choices of his own volition.

2. This will can be described in one of two ways:
2a. Uncaused - Underlying motivating factors, if any exist, do not necessarily determine the choice made.
2b. Caused - There are always underlying motivating factors, and they necessarily determine the choice made.

3. If by "free will" it is meant that the will is "uncaused" (2a), then "free will" is a myth, for at least the following three reasons:
3a. Given that there would be no way of distinguishing the will from a random process, we would lose all basis for trusting others.
3b. Choices would be meaningless and thus necessarily insincere, because they would be arbitrary rather than purposed acts.
3c. We could not hold anyone responsible for their choices, because they could not legitimately be said to be their own.

4. Thus, 2b (caused) is the only coherent way of defining "free will."

5. However, this is problematic, because 2b (caused) is the way in which Calvinists define the will. Men may make their own choices, but those choices are always causally related to their motivating factors.

6. Therefore, 2b (caused) is not an acceptable definition of "free will" for anyone who proposes that Calvinism is in error. Yet, 2a (uncaused) is not an acceptable definition either.

7. The way that many attempt to get around this is by proferring a modified form of 2b (caused). Basically, they admit that man's choices are always causally related to their underlying motives, but they argue that those motives can originate within the man himself, and do not necessarily have to originate in God's decree.

By "causally related" I mean that one's choices are directly the result of the motives that influence them. That includes their desires, their emotions, their reasoning, their environment and upbringing, etc. By "caused" here all I mean to say is that choices are not arbitrary and random. Rather, they are definitely and necessarily impacted by motives. As far as 2b (caused) is concerned, Calvinists and Arminians both fit that perspective.

8. The major problem with this view
[FONT=&quot]—[/FONT]2b, caused[FONT=&quot]—[/FONT]is that when it comes to choosing Christ, this means that the reason some choose Christ and some do not—that is, the reason for the difference—rests in the character or personality of the individuals themselves, and not in God's grace. Which is to say, the reason some people are Christians and some people are not is because some people are better people. They succeeded in improving upon God's grace, where others failed, despite having the same opportunity, to wit:

“Lord, I thank thee that I am not like these poor, presumptuous Calvinists. Lord, I was born with a glorious free will; I was born with a power by which I can turn to thee of myself; I have improved my grace. If everybody had done the same with their grace as I have, they might all have been saved. Lord, I know that thou dost not make us willing if we are not willing ourselves… it was not thy grace that made us differ… I made use of what was given me, and others did not—that is the difference between me and them.”
Src: Spurgeon, Sermon on John 5:40Free Will a Slave” The New Park Street Pulpit, 1855- 1856, Volumes I & II (Pilgrim 1975), 395-402.

Surely no one, other than Robert Pate, would hold to such a view.

9. Thus, we are left with three options: (A) "Free will" is a myth, (B) "free will" simply refers to the Calvinist understanding of the will, and therefore there is nothing to debate, or (C) "free will" implies works-righteousness.

Choose the form of the Destructor... ;)

AMR

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
What is sown is what is reaped.......

What is sown is what is reaped.......

That is the same reasoning of them that repliest against God! So Paul's answer applies to you. Rom 9:19-22

Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

Do note, that it is from man's freedom of choice, that he reaps what he sows (as being vessels of honor or dishonor),....whether good or evil,...and by universal law, harvests the consequences of his actions (the law of retribution, consequence, karma).

This concept was covered and answered in my post concerning Lamentations 3:38-41 here. Here we see all happens within the providence of 'God', since nothing actually or potentially can exist outside the Infinite,...therefore all potentials and possibilities of good and evil exist within any given space or time when such conditions allow for their bearing fruit. All judgments, checks and balances, cause and effects are governed or ordained by heavenly laws or decrees. However,...even as this is so,...a man cannot complain to God over the consequences of his sin, because of the very fact of free will. The wages of sin is death, and only by way of atonement and/or repentance, is the way to life restored.

All things in their potential exist within divine providence,...but man alone bears the consequences for his sin by universal law (law of karmic compensation), and this is by lawful ordinance, and NOT because God is the one causing evil, and therefore enforcing its punishment, since the very 'sin' (transgression of law) is the punishment itself. In this context,...all good and evil potential and possibilities exist within the choosing of man, and their consequences are inherent in themselves,...as every seed planted bears its own kind of fruit. Is God then to be blamed for the the suffering, disintegration, demise and death of the wicked? These are very fundamental questions.

beloved57

Of course an initiator or one calling must first do the calling, but those who hear the call are free to 'respond' in whatever manner they will. Man has 'response-ability',.....I think we covered this :) - You're conflating man's ability to respond as some forced application, it is not.

So man can't come to Christ by his own freewill! Yes or No

beloved57

God calls, man responds (this 'response' includes all possibilities granted within his freedom of choice).
What scripture says that? Scripture says that men can't come to Christ unless the Father draws him, not calls him. And them that God calls they are Justified and Glorified Rom 8:28-30, they don't have a choice, it's been predestined.

beloved57

Do note, that it is from man's freedom of choice, that he reaps what he sows (as being vessels of honor or dishonor),....whether good or evil,...and by universal law, harvests the consequences of his actions (the law of retribution, consequence, karma).

This concept was covered and answered in my post concerning Lamentations 3:38-41 here. Here we see all happens within the providence of 'God', since nothing actually or potentially can exist outside the Infinite,...therefore all potentials and possibilities of good and evil exist within any given space or time when such conditions allow for their bearing fruit. All judgments, checks and balances, cause and effects are governed or ordained by heavenly laws or decrees. However,...even as this is so,...a man cannot complain to God over the consequences of his sin, because of the very fact of free will. The wages of sin is death, and only by way of atonement and/or repentance, is the way to life restored.

All things in their potential exist within divine providence,...but man alone bears the consequences for his sin by universal law (law of karmic compensation), and this is by lawful ordinance, and NOT because God is the one causing evil, and therefore enforcing its punishment, since the very 'sin' (transgression of law) is the punishment itself. In this context,...all good and evil potential and possibilities exist within the choosing of man, and their consequences are inherent in themselves,...as every seed planted bears its own kind of fruit. Is God then to be blamed for the the suffering, disintegration, demise and death of the wicked? These are very fundamental questions.

More lies. What scripture says that men have a freewill?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
More factors involved in the greater context of final destiny.........

More factors involved in the greater context of final destiny.........

So man can't come to Christ by his own freewill! Yes or No

If a soul hears a call, he may respond to that call in any manner of ways. He may fully accept or fully reject,...or some other variation or alternative, if those options are also present. If there is a calling or a drawing,... a response is a reaction to that original influence. This is a logical observation of a call/answer response-ability. Love draws,.....love concludes,.....love fulfills. Love is its own means and end. However, if a soul can choose to reject the calling/drawing of love, responding in a negative fashion...and thereby choose death and destruction for itself,...it will have done so by the powers of determination both within and without, but never against the individual determination of the soul itself.

beloved57

If a soul hears a call, he may respond to that call in any manner of ways. He may fully accept or fully reject,...or some other variation or alternative, if those options are also present. If there is a calling or a drawing,... a response is a reaction to that original influence. This is a logical observation of a call/answer response-ability. Love draws,.....love concludes,.....love fulfills. Love is its own means and end. However, if a soul can choose to reject the calling/drawing of love, responding in a negative fashion...and thereby choose death and destruction for itself,...it will have done so by the powers of determination both within and without, but never against the individual determination of the soul itself.
More lies.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
What scripture says that? Scripture says that men can't come to Christ unless the Father draws him, not calls him. And them that God calls they are Justified and Glorified Rom 8:28-30, they don't have a choice, it's been predestined.

What is predestined in the greater cosmological context of all outcomes are the natural consequences of choice in response to God's call for salvation,....and these are determined by choice! I think we have a peculiar reversal of things here. Predestination does not nullify freedom of choice, since all possible destinies are already 'preordained'/'predestined' by CHOICE :) - they just happen to already be in the MIND of God,...since all potentials/possibilities/contingencies are already known by him, as they exist, and as they come into being.

beloved57

What is predestined in the greater cosmological context of all outcomes are the natural consequences of choice in response to God's call for salvation,....and these are determined by choice! I think we have a peculiar reversal of things here. Predestination does not nullify freedom of choice, since all possible destinies are already 'preordained'/'predestined' by CHOICE :) - they just happen to already be in the MIND of God,...since all potentials/possibilities/contingencies are already known by him, as they exist, and as they MAY come into being.
More lies not found in scripture!

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
More lies. What scripture says that men have a freewill?

Lets see, we've been thru quite a many scriptures already....do you not read our posts? How many more would convince you? Readers profit as well in these discussions, hence their value. If you have no freedom to choose or respond to anything, within any given situation or circumstance, you are not free. Where there is no freedom, there can be no creativity or love.

beloved57

Lets see, we've been thru quite a many scriptures already....do you not read our posts? How many more would convince you? Readers profit as well in these discussions, hence their value. If you have no freedom to choose or respond to anything, within any given situation or circumstance, you are not free. Where there is no freedom, there can be no creativity or love.
What scripture says that man has a freewill?

Men can't come to Christ unless the Father draws him. Jn 6:44, the word can't means inability.

Those in the flesh can't please God Rom 8:8, so man has no freewill to please God.

Man can't be subject to the Law of God Rom 8:7

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Relax....and reconsider

Relax....and reconsider

More lies.

Just observations of logic and truth :) - free will is a complex subject in itself, even beyond the few passages of Paul used to support a hyper-view of predestination.

Go here for starters.

My own view is probably more within a 'compatibilist' context,...since while I uphold freedom of choice, we cannot deny that some things are predetermined by various factors, of course...in any given event. - this however does not annul freedom to choose. I'm exploring/researching more of a middle ground inbetween 'determinism' and 'indeterminism'. New studies in free will are even bringing up new term-catagories, as to make things even more complicated.

See: The Problem of Free Will

beloved57

Just observations of logic and truth :) - free will is a complex subject in itself, even beyond the few passages of Paul used to support a hyper-view of predestination.

Go here for starters.

My own view is probably more within a 'compatibilist' context,...since while I uphold freedom of choice, we cannot deny that some things are predetermined by various factors, of course...in any given event. - this however does not annul freedom to choose. I'm exploring/researching more of a middle ground inbetween 'determinism' and 'indeterminism'. New studies in free will are even bringing up new term-catagories, as to make things even more complicated.

See: The Problem of Free Will
So your religion is of natural mind human logic and not Divine Inspiration. So here's my response Prov 14:12

There is a way which seemeth*right*unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of*death.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a nice sound bite until unpacked.
Why can't it just be true?

Most people are still using the term without having defined it.
Agreed. Some, however, define it too much. ;)

1. Man has a will — that is, the ability to make choices of his own volition.
Agreed. And it must always be free.

2b (caused) is the only coherent way of defining "free will."
Again, "free will" is a tautology. "The will must be caused" is enough.

5. However, this is problematic, because 2b (caused) is the way in which Calvinists define the will. Men may make their own choices, but those choices are always causally related to their motivating factors.
It's not problematic for me. :idunno:

Therefore, 2b (caused) is not an acceptable definition of "free will" for anyone who proposes that Calvinism is in error. Yet, 2a (uncaused) is not an acceptable definition either.
It sounds like your reasoning is that because a Calvinist believes something, nobody else can.

I believe men's choices are caused by stuff. I'm not a Calvinist.

beloved57

You didn't answer my question

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
He made some people to be the seed of the serpent, Children of the devil or of the wicked one. They are also called vessels of wrath fitted for destruction! Now God made them that way and they can't change it! So yes from that perspective God has commanded it, determined it!