Free Will

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
I'm considering asking this thread to be locked, due to the degradation of content.

Please be respectful in here :)

That's all I ask

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Hi Aetheryrn,

As per my previous posts, I've maintained a serious demeanor and exposition here on the topic of 'free will', and it appears I've not been engaged at a level worthy of the topic, since it is a complex subject. There appears to be various tangents and shallow chat going on, and at this point, it appears the 2 sharing a more Calvinistic view are not engaging much, except in bait and switch. Anyways,...I'll hang out a bit more I suppose, but space and time is valuable, and persons actually interested in the topic at hand ought to engage, while others can stay out of the arena here, respecting people's time and efforts. At any rate, as long as I've been a member here, its been awhile since I've made some of my own threads. Carry on :)

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Why are you saying that?

Who is being disrespectful?

God's Truth,

I speak as a friend. You are quicker with scripture than most of us! (Honest observation and I say you are quicker than me). However, in case you didn't catch it, the Calvinists knew that they could derail you by calling you names and having you defend the stance of obedience.

I am not addressing your posture one way or the other. I choose to lift you up in recognition of your passion for scripture. Obedience is a personal matter to each of us. I promise you, because you support a scriptural based view free of doctrine, there are many of us here that need the razor sharp scriptural input on the quick. You are very helpful.

Please consider focusing on the cross and encouraging others to break from dogma. If a person needs help with obedience, pray for them.

That's it my powerful friend.

I count you friend, but you do not have to return the gesture.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Do you believe you don't have to accept Jesus to be saved from our sins?
You probably don't realize it, but that's a very loaded question, as there are at least 2 very different but correct answers to it, and both require at least a Bible study's worth of explanation to do either justice. If you'd like, see kgov.com/the-Plot.
As for you saying Hitler justified his actions on the teachings of Luther...did he really say Luther told him to kill Jews?
Luther, though I do believe he was a Christian, hated the Jews. Luther had tried to minister to the Jews to convert them to Christianity, but failed rather spectacularly. As time went on, his failure turned to hatred, and he (wrongly) became anti-semitic. This is evidenced in much of his later writings, such as On the Jews and their Lies.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

God's Truth

God's Truth,

I speak as a friend. You are quicker with scripture than most of us! (Honest observation and I say you are quicker than me). However, in case you didn't catch it, the Calvinists knew that they could derail you by calling you names and having you defend the stance of obedience.

I am not addressing your posture one way or the other. I choose to lift you up in recognition of your passion for scripture. Obedience is a personal matter to each of us. I promise you, because you support a scriptural based view free of doctrine, there are many of us here that need the razor sharp scriptural input on the quick. You are very helpful.

Please consider focusing on the cross and encouraging others to break from dogma. If a person needs help with obedience, pray for them.

It would have been good encouragement if it was not tainted with the part about my being derailed. So, thank you for lifting me up after lowering me.
Really though, I am glad that you call me friend.

Jerry Shugart

Jesus will never cast is out, and I've never said that. I'm talking about walking away. And many do.

Then why did you quote these words?:

"Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee" (Ro.11:19-21).​

I've spoken to people who were once saved said they used to believe but they are atheists. It's heartbreaking. But regardless of what you say, God can't save this who don't believe in him.

Only the LORD knows who is saved and who isn't. Please consider what is said here:

"They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us." (1 Jn.2:19).​

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Faith alone is DEAD and cannot save anyone.

Read the whole New Testament. Lol

James 2:14, 17, 20, 22.

No, James taught that faith without works (evidence of holiness), is dead.

I was agreeing with your argument urging holy obedience, by providing Scripture that explains how faith fulfills the law that demands holy obedience. Romans 3:31

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
God cannot do anything outside of his holy, just, merciful, righteous nature and character.

Exactly. One would expect you'd be able to comprehend 'Imputed Righteousness' for what it is after making such a statement- but instead you stick with your Pelagian nonsense :rolleyes:

God's Truth

You probably don't realize it, but that's a very loaded question, as there are at least 2 very different but correct answers to it, and both require at least a Bible study's worth of explanation to do either justice. If you'd like, see kgov.com/the-Plot.

Luther, though I do believe he was a Christian, hated the Jews. Luther had tried to minister to the Jews to convert them to Christianity, but failed rather spectacularly. As time went on, his failure turned to hatred, and he (wrongly) became anti-semitic. This is evidenced in much of his later writings, such as On the Jews and their Lies.

We are not supposed to kill those who do not agree with us.

We are saved by believing and obeying God.

God's Truth

No, James taught that faith without works (evidence of holiness), is dead.

I was agreeing with your argument urging holy obedience, by providing Scripture that explains how faith fulfills the law that demands holy obedience. Romans 3:31

James says faith alone is DEAD and CANNOT SAVE ANYONE.

That is what James says.

Lean not on your own understanding. Just believe what is written...but of course, obey.

beloved57

As usual you bypass the pertinent points shared in the commentary given, and go into the usual posturing mode with the same question stuck on 'repeat'. Since you do not seriously consider the points of free will shared and explained but are already preprogrammed to defend your precluded dogma, you cant really go much farther to seriously consider the matter, but resort to the same merry-go-round, in your comfy little carnival. Go back and review, and when you can discuss the matter intelligently, we maybe could go somewhere, but currently you're in serious 'grid-lock'.
What scripture says that man has a freewill?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

God's Truth

God's Truth,

Calvinists believe that we do not have freewill to obey.

I am speaking about obedience because it signifies freewill.

I am glad I considered more what you are saying to me, and I hope you understand more now why I speak of obedience in this thread.

Obedience is evidence of the freewill we are to do to be saved.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The one problem with that claim is that people on their deathbed can have faith in Jesus christ and then pass away, and they'll still go to heaven. Even the murderer on the cross next to Jesus' had faith, and Jesus said that that day he would be in Heaven. His only action was faith. Do you deny that that man went to heaven on faith alone?

I was trying to point out here that if a man dies shortly after repenting of his sin, there's no time for "good works" to manifest in his life, because it's already over.

You can't hear about Jesus your whole life, reject him and do evil, and then on your death bed say oh I am sorry.

The thief on the cross obeyed what God says we have to do to be saved.

The thief on the cross feared God, humbled himself, confessed and repented of his sins, he believed in Jesus, acknowledged him before others, and called on him.

Let me ask you this, if Judas had repented of his sin, Do you think that God would have forgiven him? What about Herod? Or Hitler? How about a murderer? A rapist? Is anyone outside the scope of God's grace?

Did they only learn about God after they did such bad things, or did they reject Jesus their whole life and then while dying decide to confess and repent?

Hitler justified his actions on the teachings of Martin Luther. Again, I ask you, is ANYONE outside of the scope of God's grace?

I answered your question. Jesus knows everyone's heart, and if someone rejected Jesus their whole life and did only evil, then merely saying sorry before they die is not sufficient.

Jesus is the Way. When a person dies, their spirit lives on and must know the Way.

So if someone really meant that they were sorry and asked for God to forgive them, God wouldn't take that into consideration?

So are you going to ignore everything that I asked and said?

I'm not sure what I ignored? Could you please point it out to me?

We are not supposed to kill those who do not agree with us.

I completely agree. Luther was wrong for doing and saying what he did.

We are saved by believing and obeying God.