For You Who Do Not Know What The Tnakh Is

Myrrhcask

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 11-12.

What you have said here ((edit) see your opening post) is not found anywhere in the TaNaKh
שלום
The original post was partly a mistake. We have discussed that. It was an attempt to find a definition for the term Tenach. I think the problem has been resolved.

The definition of Tenach would, of course, not be found in the Tenach.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
שלום
The original post was partly a mistake. We have discussed that. It was an attempt to find a definition for the term Tenach. I think the problem has been resolved.

The definition of Tenach would, of course, not be found in the Tenach.

I do refer to the Hebrew Scriptures or the Torah the Nevi'im and the Ketuvim or the Torah the Prophets and the Writings the Scriptures as the TaNaK or the TaNaKh (less frequently). The Complete Tanach can be found at Chabad.org. It is the Torah, the Nevi'im, and the K'tuvim.

Myrrhcask

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 11-12.

I do not know why you say this saying Genesis through Malachi.

In English Bibles, the Scriptures are arranged in order from Genesis (Bereshit) to Malachi. From Genesis to Malachi is thus the whole Tanakh, or Old Testament. The order of books in the Tanakh is different from the English Old Testament, but the books are the same. However, some books in the English OT are divided into two parts, like Kings and Chronicles, and each of the prophets is titled separately rather than grouped.

daqq

I do refer to the Hebrew Scriptures or the Torah the Nevi'im and the Ketuvim or the Torah the Prophets and the Writings the Scriptures as the TaNaK or the TaNaKh (less frequently). The Complete Tanach can be found at Chabad.org. It is the Torah, the Nevi'im, and the K'tuvim.

You have basically just said the same thing I said. I know what TaNaK stands for but that still includes what I said to Squeaky which was more important imho because he appeared to not understand that the Tanach is the same thing he would call the Old Testament.

Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 11-12.

I do not know why you say this saying Genesis through Malachi.

Okay, fair enough, but how can you not understand what the Tanach, TaNaK, or Tanakh is when it is right there in the top portion of what you quoted in the OP? The Tanach is the Hebrew Canon of the Bible, that is, Genesis through Malachi, what you call the Old Testament: it is all the same thing. Perhaps you are confusing Tanach with Talmud? They are not the same; but if that is what you have done, your sentiments would be more understandable.

Myrrhcask

You have basically just said the same thing I said. I know what TaNaK stands for but that still includes what I said to Squeaky which was more important imho because he appeared to not understand that the Tanach is the same thing he would call the Old Testament.
I think the word you used in you response, "refer," is what created the confusion. It has multiple meanings and I don't think English is Jacob's first language. Correct me if I'm wrong, Jacob.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In English Bibles, the Scriptures are arranged in order from Genesis (Bereshit) to Malachi. From Genesis to Malachi is thus the whole Tanakh, or Old Testament. The order of books in the Tanakh is different from the English Old Testament, but the books are the same. However, some books in the English OT are divided into two parts, like Kings and Chronicles, and each of the prophets is titled separately rather than grouped.

Genesis to Chronicles is a different order arrangement and number of books from Genesis to Malachi which is the Old Testament or Christian Old Testament.

Is the Old Covenant the Torah or the TaNaK?

There are many covenants in the Torah.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Shalom.

Myrrhcask

Genesis to Chronicles is a different order arrangement and number of books from Genesis to Malachi which is the Old Testament or Christian Old Testament.

Yes, there are many covenants in the Tenach. But we refer to the whole Tenach as the Old Testament or, very rarely, as the Old Covenant. You will often see it shortened to OT and New Testament to NT.

Christians do not generally study the Talmud.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes, there are many covenants in the Tenach. But we refer to the whole Tenach as the Old Testament or, very rarely, as the Old Covenant. You will often see it shortened to OT and New Testament to NT.

Christians do not generally study the Talmud.

Shalom.

I wonder which, the term Old Covenant or Old Testament, was given first to the 39 Books Genesis through or to Malachi.

I used to be a Christian and I desire to study the Mishna. I am currently studying the TaNaK. I am in Yehoshua. I just read Hebrew and English for Chapter 18 minus Joshua's name in one instance or at one place.

The Torah is the Five Books of Moses. I wonder if this is the Old Covenant or Old Testament.

Shalom.

Jacob

daqq

Again, why do I need to explain those things to Squeaky when the result is the same and all I tried to do was to explain what the whole Tanach is? The order does not matter at that point if he does not even know that the Tanach is the "Old Testament". Even though the order is different and some books are categorized as Prophets or Neviim which are not considered Prophets in the Christian "Old Testament" it is still the same books from the same Hebrew Scriptures. If you desire to explain all the finer details to Squeaky then please feel free to do so: I was not attempting to do what you are saying, that was not my focus at all.

Myrrhcask

Shalom.

I wonder which, the term Old Covenant or Old Testament, was given first to the 39 Books Genesis through or to Malachi.

I used to be a Christian and I desire to study the Mishna. I am currently studying the TaNaK. I am in Yehoshua. I just read Hebrew and English for Chapter 18 minus Joshua's name in one instance or at one place.

The Torah is the Five Books of Moses. I wonder if this is the Old Covenant or Old Testament.

Shalom.

Jacob
The first Christian Bible was in Greek. The New Testament books were in Greek and the Septuagint, a Greek translation of the Tanakh, was used as the Old Testament. The next translation of the whole Bible into one language was done in Latin, the Vulgate. The Latin translator, Jerome, looked at both Hebrew and Greek Old Testaments for the translation. Only much later was the Bible translated into modern languages.

Both Covenant and Testament are English translations of the Latin "Testamentum" which means covenant. I think Old Testament was probably used first in English. Certain groups of Christians preferred to use Old Covenant, but it is rarely used today. Both Old Testament and Old Covenant mean the same thing, the Tanakh. We have a special term for the five books of Moses, the Pentateuch. Penta means five in Greek. The word Pentateuch is not used much except in religious discussions.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Again, why do I need to explain those things to Squeaky when the result is the same and all I tried to do was to explain what the whole Tanach is? The order does not matter at that point if he does not even know that the Tanach is the "Old Testament". Even though the order is different and some books are categorized as Prophets or Neviim which are not considered Prophets in the Christian "Old Testament" it is still the same books from the same Hebrew Scriptures. If you desire to explain all the finer details to Squeaky then please feel free to do so: I was not attempting to do what you are saying, that was not my focus at all.
I do not know what you mean by not considered Prophets.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The first Christian Bible was in Greek. The New Testament books were in Greek and the Septuagint, a Greek translation of the Tanakh, was used as the Old Testament. The next translation of the whole Bible into one language was done in Latin, the Vulgate. The Latin translator, Jerome, looked at both Hebrew and Greek Old Testaments for the translation. Only much later was the Bible translated into modern languages.

Both Covenant and Testament are English translations of the Latin "Testamentum" which means covenant. I think Old Testament was probably used first in English. Certain groups of Christians preferred to use Old Covenant, but it is rarely used today. Both Old Testament and Old Covenant mean the same thing, the Tanakh. We have a special term for the five books of Moses, the Pentateuch. Penta means five in Greek. The word Pentateuch is not used much except in religious discussions.

I do not know about the validity of what you have said.

I do know that though covenant and testament are different words they are often used interchangeably.

I do not know if the Septuagint, written in Greek, was an Old Covenant or Old Testament. Perhaps these are English words. I do not know what is meant by Modern Languages. I do not know Latin.

I believe that the Bible has been translated from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, to English, but what does this say of or for the TaNaK? In other words, there may not be a Hebrew Old Covenant or Old Testament.

Shalom.

Jacob

Myrrhcask

I do not know what you mean by not considered Prophets.
Joshua, Judges, Ruth, First and Second Samuel, First and Second Kings, and First and Second Chronicle are considered histories, although they have many prophets in them. Since the Old Testament books are ordered differently, roughly in chronological order, these are placed in order separate from the other prophets. Much of the Writings are placed in between.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Joshua, Judges, Ruth, First and Second Samuel, First and Second Kings, and First and Second Chronicle are considered histories, although they have many prophets in them. Since the Old Testament books are ordered differently, roughly in chronological order, these are placed in order separate from the other prophets. Much of the Writings are placed in between.

I do not know yet if the TaNaK came before either the Old Covenant or the Old Testament. By name, and what was or has been accepted as Scripture.

Myrrhcask

I do not know about the validity of what you have said.

I do know that though covenant and testament are different words they are often used interchangeably.

I do not know if the Septuagint, written in Greek, was an Old Covenant or Old Testament. Perhaps these are English words. I do not know what is meant by Modern Languages. I do not know Latin.

I believe that the Bible has been translated from Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, to English, but what does this say of or for the TaNaK? In other words, there may not be a Hebrew Old Covenant or Old Testament.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob, I will start a new thread topic, "What is the Tanakh". That way we can continue without taking this thread away from Squeaky.