ECT Faith + Obedience = Salvation?

God's Truth

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house" (Acts 16:30-32).​

They believed the word of the Lord, specifically the gospel of Christ mentioned here:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth"
(Ro.1:16).​

According to Paul the gospel of Christ is "the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth."

Believes, not believes and obey!

Believes WHAT? Explain what we have to believe.

Jerry Shugart

Did you not see in the verse I quoted to "repent of this thy great wickedness ?

Act 8:22
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

In regard to Acts 8:22 repenting from evil happens after someone believes and is already saved. For some reason you are incapable of understanding the order of things in regard to salvation.

First, a person must hear the gospel. Next, he must believe the gospel and upon believing he is saved:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth" (Ro.1:16).​

Then after believing and being saved a person is to repent of his sinful lifestyle.

dodge

In regard to Acts 8:22 repenting from evil happens after someone believes and is already saved. For some reason you are incapable of understanding the order of things in regard to salvation.

First, a person must hear the gospel. Next, he must believe the gospel and upon believing he is saved:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth" (Ro.1:16).​

Then after believing and being saved we are to repent from out sinful lifestyles.

I see you believe you know more than Jesus ! YOU have it exactly backwards according to Jesus.

Luk 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Jesus said repent or perish so just exactly how was the folks Jesus speaking to saved ? FYI, they were NOT saved according to Jesus.

You are real good at twisting and distorting scripture instead of just reading and believing scripture in CONTEXT.

Act 8:22
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Or where Jesus said to repent ?

You have it backwards Jerry.

glorydaz

You are so desperate to say anything you think is damming to me. Who speaks like that? I don't think that most unsaved even think about sin like you say. Why would the unsaved think about it? That is just you searching for the nastiest accusation you can think of.

Of course they think about sin all the time. They are obsessed with it just like you are. You seem to get off on imagining how others are sinning, but you don't recognize your own horrible pride. That's pretty typical.

People who smoke, they love it. People who commit adultery, they love doing it. People who do drugs, it feels good to them, and they love it. People who lie and steal, they love how good they are at it.

There you go....always imagining what others are doing and thinking. Many smokers are trying to quit smoking....not that smoking is a sin. Many adulterers are trying to quit messing around, because they see how it messes up their lives. Wife beaters promise to never do it again. Drunks are always trying to give up drinking. Did you know that spiritual pride is the worst sin of them all? Do you love how much you think you know about the Scripture? Do you love putting others down while you build yourself up? :chew:

It sounds like you are starting to teach obedience, good job.

Do you notice how you just read obedience into what I said?

Originally Posted by glorydaz View Post
They see it everywhere (imagining it has power over everyone they meet).
To them it's a force to be reckoned with....as if the Cross accomplished nothing. Thus they are unbelievers, and their view of sin proves it.

Does it stroke your ego to think I might be listening to you? :chuckle:

Jerry Shugart

Believes WHAT? Explain what we have to believe.

Have you never heard of the preaching of the Cross, how that the Lord Jesus died for our sins?:

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God" (1 Cor.1:18).​

You know, the word of God which declares that the Lord Jesus was "made to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" (2 Cor.5:21).

The jailer was saved when he believed those things:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house" (Acts 16:30-32).​

Unfortunately you think that believing is not enough to be saved.

God's Truth

We see the jailer asking what he must do to be saved.
We see they say, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
We see them preaching the Gospel.

We see the jailer getting baptized...
We see Peter telling people to be baptized...
Acts 16
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.​

Why aren't you adding that he had to be washed, baptized, serve the men a meal, and rejoice in order to be saved? That's all written right there before we see the jailer believed. :chew:
How did you miss it? I showed many scriptures that show they had to believe and get water baptized, the baptism of repentance of sins. We do not get saved by being nice to the saved, we get saved by believing and obeying, like repenting of sins.

glorydaz

I see you believe you know more than Jesus ! YOU have it exactly backwards according to Jesus.

Jesus said repent or perish so just exactly how was the folks Jesus speaking to saved ? FYI, they were NOT saved according to Jesus.

You are real good at twisting and distorting scripture instead of just reading and believing scripture in CONTEXT.

You have it backwards Jerry.

If a person doesn't believe, why would they repent?

If a person doesn't believe, what would they repent of?

If a person doesn't believe, who would they repent to?

An unknown God?

Jerry Shugart

Change your mind about SIN if you want to be saved.

You are another one who does not understand the order of salvation. first, a person must hear the gospel. then upon believing the gospel he is saved:

Once a person believes and is saved then he is to have a change of mind about his sinful lifestyle.

glorydaz

We see the jailer getting baptized...
We see Peter telling people to be baptized...

How did you miss it? I showed many scriptures that show they had to believe and get water baptized, the baptism of repentance of sins. We do not get saved by being nice to the saved, we get saved by believing and obeying, like repenting of sins.

Well then....you're up the creek without a paddle, aren't ya?

You don't repent of your pride...you won't even admit it.

You should consider how many other sins have you got hidden in your little closet?

God's Truth

If a person doesn't believe, why would they repent?

If a person doesn't believe, what would they repent of?

If a person doesn't believe, who would they repent to?

An unknown God?

You always use that argument.

How about this---if a person doesn't believe---but they want to find out whether or not Jesus is speaking things from God, then all the person has to do is obey, and then they would come to believe.

See John 7:17.

You will not ever get around having to obey.

Whether you believe and obey, or obey and believe.

God's Truth

Well then....you're up the creek without a paddle, aren't ya?

You don't repent of your pride...you won't even admit it.

You should consider how many other sins have you got hidden in your little closet?

I repent of all my sins.

You can only defend your doctrines by resulting to accusations. Who did you get that from?

Jerry Shugart

Tell me what I twisted when I said this:

Then after believing and being saved a person is to repent of his sinful lifestyle.

Or are you willing to argue that a person must change his sinful lifestyle even before hearing the gospel in order to be saved?

God's Truth

You are another one who does not understand the order of salvation. first, a person must hear the gospel. then upon believing the gospel he is saved:

Once a person believes and is saved then he is to have a change of mind about his sinful lifestyle.

I know people who believe and they still live the same sinful life as always.

God's Truth

Tell me what I twisted when I said this:

Or are you willing to argue that a person must change his sinful lifestyle even before hearing the gospel in order to be saved?

What a twist job.