ECT Faith + Obedience = Salvation?

Jerry Shugart

Allow me to give a hypothetical scenario. I do ask that you be completely unbiased and honest with yourself.

A man is a devout Christian. He holds to the same faith as you in every aspect. One day though, he decides to run a brothel. He runs it and lays with the workers. He lives a life of sin. Then, at the end of his life, he realizes the error of his ways, and returns to a life of devotion.

No doubt he goes to heaven. However, would you say he was "saved" the whole time? If he had died while running the brothel, living a life completely immersed in sin, would he have gone to heaven?

I can only answer you by appealing to the Scriptures. At the time a person believes he possesses etenal life (1 Jn.5:11). And the Lord Jesus says that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish (Jn.10:28).

Therefore, from the moment when a person believes and comes to the Lord Jesus in faith he enjoys eternal security. So I cannot think of a time when a true believer can lose his salvation. The Lord Jesus also says this:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out....And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day"
(Jn.6:37,40).​

From the time when someone believes and comes to the Lord Jesus he will never be cast out and on the last day he will be resurrected from the dead and will have an immortal body.

So again, from the moment when someone believes until the putting on of his immortal body I cannot see any possibility of him being cast out and losing his salvation. The Lord Jesus said this:

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die"
(Jn.11:25-26).​

dodge

All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you, you have become a horror and shall be no more forever. (Ezekiel 28:19)​

Satan will cease to exist.

Satan will never cease to exist just as those that reject God will never cease to exist.

Mar 9:43
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mar 9:44
Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Read in context it means their spirit will "never die " !

dodge

Define the Greek word translated 'repentance."

One of the meanings of that word is "a change of mind."

And in that case "believing" is a change of mind--going from a state of unbelief into a state of belief.

Jerry, I believe Jesus knew His word better than you.

Luk 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Act 8:22
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

dodge

What good is a spirit without a body?

The Spirit lives forever ! I also believe those who go to heaven or hell are resurrected and their spirit and body spend eternity either in heaven or hell based on scripture.

Have you ever read about the great white judgement throne of God ?

It starts off by saying I saw the dead great and small stand before the Throne and they were in great fear. Scripture NEVER refers to those in Christ as dead NEVER. Those folks are being judged and condemned to eternal hell for rejecting Jesus.

Rev 20:12
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Jerry Shugart

Jerry, I believe Jesus knew His word better than you.

Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

The primary meaning of the Greek word translated "repent" is "a change of mind."

So when someone has gone from a state of unbelief unto a state of believing he has repented. And those who not go from being an unbeliever to being a believer will in fact perish.

As I said, those who believe already possess eternal life in the Son (1 Jn.5:11). And the Lord Jesus says that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish (Jn.10:28).

So why are you trying to prove that they can perish? I believe that the Lord Jesus knows His word better than you.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It starts off by saying I saw the dead great and small stand before the Throne and they were in great fear. Scripture NEVER refers to those in Christ as dead NEVER. Those folks are being judged and condemned to eternal for rejecting Jesus.

Either you don't subscribe to water baptism or you don't understand its purpose.

dodge

The primary meaning of the Greek word translated "repent" is "a change of mind."

So when someone has gone from a state of unbelief unto a state of believing he has repented. And those who not go from being an unbeliever to being a believer will in fact perish.

As I said, those who believe already possess eternal life in the Son (1 Jn.5:11). And the Lord Jesus says that those to whom He gives eternal life shall never perish (Jn.10:28).

So why are you trying to prove that they can perish? I believe that the Lord Jesus knows His word better than you.

Did you not see in the verse I quoted to "repent of this thy great wickedness ?

Or where Jesus said to repent ?

Repent is to turn from sin as scripture says. WHY ARE YOU AVOIDING THE OBVIOUS ?

I will stay with what Jesus taught you don't seem to have anything but an agenda that is not of God nor scripture.

dodge

Either you don't subscribe to water baptism or you don't understand its purpose.

I believe water baptism is obedience evidencing an inward change, which has nothing to do with what scripture teaches about eternal hell.

Jerry Shugart

Believe WHAT?

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house" (Acts 16:30-32).​

They believed the word of the Lord, specifically the gospel of Christ mentioned here:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth"
(Ro.1:16).​

According to Paul the gospel of Christ is "the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth."

Believes, not believes and obey!

God's Truth

And here we see the difference between the saved and the unsaved.
The saved have no desire for sin, and they know it has no dominion over them.
But the unsaved obsess over sin with it's power and it's draw.
You are so desperate to say anything you think is damming to me. Who speaks like that? I don't think that most unsaved even think about sin like you say. Why would the unsaved think about it? That is just you searching for the nastiest accusation you can think of.

People who smoke, they love it. People who commit adultery, they love doing it. People who do drugs, it feels good to them, and they love it. People who lie and steal, they love how good they are at it.
They see it everywhere (imagining it has power over everyone they meet).
To them it's a force to be reckoned with....as if the Cross accomplished nothing. Thus they are unbelievers, and their view of sin proves it.

It sounds like you are starting to teach obedience, good job.