Every day is a new circus.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
'cause what you did say (to those who know that we do have troops in the region) made it look like they were all on standby, or taking naps in their bunks, or locked in "break glass in case of emergency" cabinets :chuckle:

Um, no. What a bizarre thing to say. The only useful thing you could have said was that I should clarify I meant 'joint military exercises with South Korea' and I would've agreed.

Why don't you address the cancellation of those exercises instead of feeding your overactive imagination?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
"He's the strangest president in the history of the United States"

'Stupid statements' - Trump WW3 jibe stuns Montenegro

"He's the strangest president in the history of the United States," Ranko Krivokapic told the BBC.

Mr Krivokapic knows a thing or two about being a president. He served as President of the Parliament of Montenegro from its independence in 2006 until 2016 - and remains president of the opposition Social Democratic Party.

It is fair to say he is unimpressed with the current US president's approach to diplomacy and world affairs.

"With this kind of president, with his knowledge of foreign policy, who knows what is going on? Foreign policy is not his big thing."

In an interview with Fox News, Mr Trump suggested that this country of fewer than a million citizens could somehow provoke a global conflict. His reply to interviewer Tucker Carlson caused jaws to drop on the Adriatic coast.

"Let's say Montenegro, which joined last year, is attacked," Carlson told the president. "Why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?"

He was referring to Article 5 of the Nato founding treaty, which sees an attack on one member as an attack on all. Mr Trump understood his point.

"They're very strong people, they're very aggressive people. They may get aggressive and, congratulations, you're in World War Three," Mr Trump extemporised.

Article 5 has been invoked just once, by the US, after the attacks of 11 September 2001.

Boris Raonic, programme director at the Civic Alliance human rights organisation, was among those who could barely believe what they were hearing.

"We are used to having [a US president] who unites and promotes Western values; now, instead of a leader, we have a showman."

Mr Raonic says even this would not matter so much if Mr Trump had bothered to study the countries and issues about which he was making snap pronouncements.

"He is obviously not reading what the state department prepares for him, so we get these stupid statements, which clearly show a lack of knowledge and respect for role that the US had until now."

Montenegrin prosecutors allege that Moscow was behind a subsequent apparent coup attempt in 2016; Russia has denied responsibility.

Ranko Krivokapic says he is concerned that his country may have been a bargaining chip at the Trump-Putin summit.

"I hope Montenegro was not on the table in Helsinki; I hope Mr Trump was just giving a reaction to the Fox question, nothing deeper.

"It is very important for us that we are part of Nato. The issue is practically closed and accepted in Montenegro; we are accepted as part of the West."

I'm reminded of this:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
well, no
because i literally just looked through the first page of your latest posts and didn't see it going back to july 12
I did it for Jerry Shugart in the Politically Correct thread. You were posting all around my posts so it's funny if you didn't see it. Or maybe it's just the relative effect of posts between for both of us.

What I mean is this, to see my last 100 posts you'd have to go back to July 4th, so anything in that range feels recent for me around here. I can see where that would be different for you. I did a quick search and going back 100 posts for you would stretch us all the way back to late in the evening of the 17th of this month, so the 5th or so would probably feel like a long time ago to you. :eek:

if that number is ten or larger, feel free to list ten of them
It could have been. I wasn't invested in the arbitrary notion of a number. Not sure why anyone would be. I think I listed a handful of his signings on the veterans end of things, the impact on illegal immigration, the market response to him, and both S. Ct. advances. I wasn't trying to set out a given number or exhaustive list. Just answering Jerry's suspicion that everyone opposed to Trump in the broader sense was incapable of seeing any good he'd managed, directly or indirectly.

what you noted in that last was: "I'm not sure where the better comes in."
"the better" would come in those things the president has done that you think were good measures
No, you have to follow what that was in response to. And here it is in full:

I agree that he's setting precedents, but due to them being precedents, I don't think they'll go away when he does. He's changed the office of President, irreversibly. And I think for the better.
I was with you right up until the end when you sudden veered into "better" territory. Not placing your financial interests in a blind trust, a willful lack of transparency, defaming your own government while you side with an active enemy of our interests, acting like a teenager on Twitter...I'm not sure where the better comes in. :think: Unless you meant to write bitter and just missed a key.

So I'm speaking to his idea that the changes Trump has set in motion, his divergence from traditions of the office, a few of which I noted, how any reasonable consideration of them could lead to the use of the word "better" and I'm still waiting on his attempt on that one. I don't envy him the task and suspect he won't actually try.

which institutions should he be serving that he's doing damage to? what damage is he doing?
I've spoken to both of those questions for most of his administration now and even during his run at the office, so if you don't know the answer you haven't been paying attention (and does anyone believe he hasn't been paying attention to my posts?) and I don't have the inclination to bring you up to speed on the point. I also won't rehash Trump's penchant for racist friendly rhetoric, if that's on your list.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
oh, so we do have troops in the region

but they're not engaging in military exercises?

my son will be so surprised when i tell him

Kim demanded that Trump cancel joint exercises with South Korea, and Trump caved.
Trump upends decades of US military doctrine with his surprise move to halt joint exercises in South Korea
President Donald Trump says the U.S. will halt military exercises with South Korea because they are "provocative" and "tremendously expensive."

The Pentagon has maintained that the joint exercises are routine, purely defensive and vital to maintaining readiness on the Korean peninsula.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/tru...orea-upends-decades-of-military-doctrine.html

In return, Kim did what he always did; said that he wants a denuclarized Korean Peninsula, but refused to do or even promise to do anything to make it happen.

So much for Trump's negotiating skills.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
lol. :chuckle:
Thanks. I missed it. :thumb:

I like how he's nosing into everything that all the federal agencies are doing. I really like that, and I think that's one of the precedents that he's setting for the office. It is in the job description, even if only by implication, but that is the job of the chief executive of any organization, is to oversee its operation.
Obama was a famous/infamous micromanager. A number of presidents have been. One of the early things Trump was praised for by some was his not doing that, as when he gave ground commanders in the military more direct control.

And while past presidents might have been just as insinuating, they weren't as public about it, and President Trump's openness about what he's saying to whom is also one of the precedents that I think he's setting, and that is a step in the right direction for our government too imo.
Openness in what respect? I mean, has anyone seen his tax returns? Is Twitter use an openness or a rhetorical pipeline?

His bombastic approach is off-putting for many people, I can appreciate that.
I'd think most people would respond negatively to bombast as a principle rhetorical method, given the def:

Bombastic: "[FONT=&quot]marked by or given to speech or writing that is given exaggerated importance by artificial or empty means [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]marked by or given to [/FONT]bombast[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT]pompous[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]overblown" Merriam-Webster

His apparent lack of attention to detail in his utterances. I don't believe though, that when the rubber meets the road, that he lacks attention to detail.
And that's part of the problem with him, we have to guess. It's not readily apparent.

It is one of the reasons for his financial success, his attention to details of how things run, and how things are built.
Or it has to do with starting with a boatload of money, having a good education at Wharton, and finding people who do that sort of thing while he advances operating principles that are tried and true.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Trump impeachment odds hit record after Helsinki, says Irish bookmaker
No, punters in Britain and Ireland are putting up money 2 to 1 on President Trump’s impeachment, according to Paddy Power, a bookmaker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

Sigh. I hope so. I think a more accurate thread title for this thread would have been "New Day, New Nightmare".