Egg Nog: Pro or Con

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Darn! Now, I'm craving egg nog! I guess I'll have to go get some tomorrow. :chuckle: It's all your fault, Catty!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
There are few people I know who are ambivalent about this festive holiday beverage. Where do you stand?

I'm pro egg nog, only if it comes with a shot of brandy or rum and a light dusting of nutmeg.

:cheers:

I love it year round, but without the egg....or nog...or nut meg...

Now that I think about it I suppose that just makes me an alcoholic. :eek:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I'm pro-nog. I love homemade nog.

Fake nog that's made from high-fructose corn syrup, guar gum, various ingredients that are hard to pronounce, and "egg base", is an abomination. I think many people think they are anti-nog because this is the only nog they know.

If it's called "holiday nog," it's not egg nog. If it's called "egg nog," it's still probably not egg nog if you're getting it from a grocery store. Read the ingredients.

Good nog has eggs, cream, milk, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. And booze, if you like. No weird stuff.

Two minutes ago I had NO desire for egg nog...

I like the store bought stuff fine, but curious to know what I'm missing now.
I'll rep you for an actual recipe! :)

johana

iieee! I just broke my egg nog cherry, so to speak. :D

It was from teh store but it had no unpronounceable ingreadients. Just milk, egg, sugar and some flavours.

mmm... Just like a vanilla milk shake only eggy. And oddly filling.

johana

Ow! no one said - "Go easy on the nog. It's filling and you shouldn't just down a huge glass" I'm sure someone should have said that... ;)

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I remember my Aunt Mary making egg nog but I never bothered getting the recipe, until now (No. You don't have to rep me for it. :chuckle: ). Of course, Aunt Mary didn't use the bourbon or the brandy. :chuckle: I found a cool site while searching: EggnogRecipe.Net. Here's a basic egg nog recipe:

Traditional Eggnog Recipe

12 eggs, separated
6 cups milk
2 cups heavy/ thickened cream
2 cups bourbon
1+ ½ cups sugar
¾ cup brandy
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

In a large bowl and using a mixer, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar for approx 10 minutes (you want the mixture to be firm and the color of butter). Very slowly, add in the bourbon and brandy - just a little at a time.
When bourbon and brandy have been added, allow the mixture to cool in the fridge (for up to 6 hours, depending on how long before your party you're making the eggnog). 30 minutes before your guests arrive, stir the milk into the chilled yolk mixture. Stir in 1+ ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg. In a separate bowl, beat the cream with a mixer on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks. In yet another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Gently fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold the cream into the egg mixture.
After ladling into cups, garnish with the remainder of the ground nutmeg.

Serves: 8.

iieee! I just broke my egg nog cherry, so to speak. :D

It was from teh store but it had no unpronounceable ingreadients. Just milk, egg, sugar and some flavours.

mmm... Just like a vanilla milk shake only eggy. And oddly filling.

If I let her, my daughter could go through a half gallon of egg nog, alone, in one night. :chuckle:

Ow! no one said - "Go easy on the nog. It's filling and you shouldn't just down a huge glass" I'm sure someone should have said that... ;)

I didn't even think of it. I usually have a teacup/punch cup full with a few graham crackers, myself. ;)

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I love the cheap gas station stuff! Never had it with boose.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Egg Nog is a sweetened dairy-based beverage made with milk, cream, sugar, and beaten eggs.

That's the receipe :thumb:

Yes! I enjoy a good nog :firechyld with no additives (Know what I mean)

- 30 -​

:scripto:. . Psalmist

Aimiel

It just wouldn't be Christmas without egg nog. It is the ONLY Holiday drink that matters.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

The one we use is from a cookbook called The Good Egg. It might be more appealing to anyone who doesn't like the idea of consuming raw eggs.

Classic Brandy Eggnog

Eggnog made from scratch is far superior to the supermarket variety.

This recipe cooks the eggs into a custard, so it can safely be made a day ahead.

4 cups whole milk
6 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup brandy, or more to taste
Ground cinnamon
Ground nutmeg

1. Heat the milk in a small saucepan until small bubbles appear around the edges; do not boil. Remove from the heat.

2. In a large saucepan, combine the eggs, sugar, and salt and whisk until very well blended. Gradually stir in 2 cups of the hot milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over very low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon with a thicn film (it should register 160F on an instant-read thermometer), about 10 minutes.

3. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 cups of milk and the vanilla. Place the pan in a bowl of cold water and stir until cooled. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least several hours, or overnight.

4. Just before serving, beat the cream in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Stir the brandy into the chilled milk mixture, then gently fold in the whipped cream.

5. Pour into a small punch bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and serve.

Makes twelve 1/2 cup servings

I've never actually bothered with the brandy because I never have any on hand.

The trickiest part of this recipe is heating the egg mixture. If they're cooked to long, or with too much heat, and it is especially important to stir constantly, or else your eggs will start to curdle. This won't effect the taste, but chunky eggnog looks kinda weird.

The second hardest part is waiting for it to chill, because I want nog NOW!!

Ours has never made it into a punch bowl, because we haven't made it for company. We just ladle it out of the large saucepan.

Aimiel

I like to put some Ready Whip on top of mine. Here in Cincinnati we have an excellent local dairy (United Dairy Farmers) which produce some really tasty Egg Nog, as well as a low-fat 'Holiday Nog' that isn't bad, as well.

Hi Nori!!! :wave2:

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like to put some Ready Whip on top of mine. Here in Cincinnati we have an excellent local dairy (United Dairy Farmers) which produce some really tasty Egg Nog, as well as a low-fat 'Holiday Nog' that isn't bad, as well.

Hi Nori!!! :wave2:

I haven't tried UDF's egg nog. I should try it the next time I'm in Aurora. :)

Hi Ken! :wave: I PM'd you and e-mailed your wife.