Ebola is in the USA. Does this frighten you?

ContaMundum

We're now told that it's only transmissible if you touch puke or spit. What about the reports from doctors, only a few weeks ago, that this virus can be spread via a sneeze or cough? So which is it?
I also wondered if this man sneezed or coughed on the plane flight where everyone is trapped inside a poorly filtered environment. Sometimes I wonder if the Japanese are on to something with all those face masks they wear on trains and buses.

zoo22

We're now told that it's only transmissible if you touch puke or spit. What about the reports from doctors, only a few weeks ago, that this virus can be spread via a sneeze or cough? So which is it?

I wonder sometimes whether or not certain people at TOL are being intentionally dense, but I don't wonder that about you.

When someone coughs or sneezes, they might cough or sneeze out spit or mucus. Or did you think it was random magic that sometimes when you sneeze, a glob of mucus miraculously appears?

Ebola isn't an airborne virus, but the spit or mucus from a cough or sneeze could carry it. Coming in direct contact with that spit or mucus could contaminate someone, if the person doing the sneezing or coughing has already exhibited the symptoms of ebola.

Here's how you can (and can't) get Ebola

3) You usually can't get Ebola through coughing or sneezing. The virus isn't airborne, thankfully, and experts expect that it will never become airborne. But, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said, "If a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person's eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease." This happens rarely and usually only affects health workers or those caring for the sick.

Full article

If your primary goal was to allay panic for as long as possible because you really didn't know how many cases are out there, which would you want the populace to believe?

Well, I'd hope they had the intelligence (or real-world experience) to understand that when someone coughs or sneezes, there might be some spit.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Well then I suppose anyone who doesn't think alcohol should be illegal ought to be viewed with suspicion.

Maybe. Or maybe they are under staffed and working way too many hours like our hospital. Or maybe the employee is just a poor employee.

Nah, let's just assume she was high.

Anyway, what does this have to do with me?

Paranoid are ya?

Sealeaf

I'm a hospital nursing supervisor with ER experience. I am alarmed that we have an active ebola case in the US. However I am a long way from paniced. Nor does it surprise me that a piece of critical information got dropped in the ER report.

When you go to the Emergency Department you do not get a comprehensive medical exam. You get treated for what you complain of. So if he came in with a c/o diarrhea he might be sent out with a packet of anti-diarrheals. Neither does the Emergency department Doc expect to be responsible for the global treatment of every patient who walks through the door. The expectation is that the patient will follow up with his own physician if he needs further treatment.

I suspect that ED's near international airports will be tightening their screening protocols.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm a hospital nursing supervisor with ER experience. I am alarmed that we have an active ebola case in the US. However I am a long way from paniced. Nor does it surprise me that a piece of critical information got dropped in the ER report.

When you go to the Emergency Department you do not get a comprehensive medical exam. You get treated for what you complain of. So if he came in with a c/o diarrhea he might be sent out with a packet of anti-diarrheals. Neither does the Emergency department Doc expect to be responsible for the global treatment of every patient who walks through the door. The expectation is that the patient will follow up with his own physician if he needs further treatment.

I suspect that ED's near international airports will be tightening their screening protocols.

So what would have happened to the sheets and his gown and all the other things used to examine him with from the FIRST time he went to the hospital, when they assumed he needed just antibiotics and pain meds and didnt know he had ebola?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That is one of maybe two threads I've ever started on the subject in the 7 years I've been on this board. Otherwise I've commented only when others have brought it up first. There are people like musterion that bring it up no matter what I'm talking about. You do that a lot too, though not as bad.

But thank you for completely hijacking knights thread on Ebola and turning it to weed again. I can't help but talk about it when I try to drop the weed talk with a simple, "stupid question. Next," and you insist on keeping the topic of drugs going. It's really concerning. I came here to discuss Ebola.

My point was that I went from a multi-time a day user to a rare user for medical reasons and if I could find one of God's other creations that would help as good, I'd gladly switch to that.

You admit you were using multiple times a day - so to ask if you were high at work, is a valid question.

musterion

That is one of maybe two threads I've ever started on the subject in the 7 years I've been on this board. Otherwise I've commented only when others have brought it up first. There are people like musterion that bring it up no matter what I'm talking about. You do that a lot too, though not as bad.

But thank you for completely hijacking knights thread on Ebola and turning it to weed again. I can't help but talk about it when I try to drop the weed talk with a simple, "stupid question. Next," and you insist on keeping the topic of drugs going. It's really concerning. I came here to discuss Ebola.

People who use regularly can adapt to the point they do not believe they're impaired even when they are. You know that.

musterion

I wonder sometimes whether or not certain people at TOL are being intentionally dense, but I don't wonder that about you.

When someone coughs or sneezes, they might cough or sneeze out spit or mucus. Or did you think it was random magic that sometimes when you sneeze, a glob of mucus miraculously appears?

Ebola isn't an airborne virus, but the spit or mucus from a cough or sneeze could carry it. Coming in direct contact with that spit or mucus could contaminate someone, if the person doing the sneezing or coughing has already exhibited the symptoms of ebola.

Well, I'd hope they had the intelligence (or real-world experience) to understand that when someone coughs or sneezes, there might be some spit.

What do you think the vaporized, free floating contents of a sneeze are made of, genius?

shagster01

Well put.

shagster01

So what would have happened to the sheets and his gown and all the other things used to examine him with from the FIRST time he went to the hospital, when they assumed he needed just antibiotics and pain meds and didnt know he had ebola?

The same that happens to the sheets and gowns and other things used by any other patient with an infectious disease.

I used to be the manager of centralized equipment (IV pumps, beds, K-pads, CPM's, etc. . .) at the hospital and our department also handles the linen. The machines get sterilized after each patient by our sterile processing department. The linen at our hospital gets picked up by a contracted company that specializes in taking care of hospital linen. I'm not exactly sure what their processes are, but they get inspected by the Joint Commission the same as everything else.

You know laryngoscope blades and such are reused, right? That blade that is going down your throat has been down others before you. Same with endo scopes.

bybee

The same that happens to the sheets and gowns and other things used by any other patient with an infectious disease.

I used to be the manager of centralized equipment (IV pumps, beds, K-pads, CPM's, etc. . .) at the hospital and our department also handles the linen. The machines get sterilized after each patient by our sterile processing department. The linen at our hospital gets picked up by a contracted company that specializes in taking care of hospital linen. I'm not exactly sure what their processes are, but they get inspected by the Joint Commission the same as everything else.

You know laryngoscope blades and such are reused, right? That blade that is going down your throat has been down others before you. Same with endo scopes.

Of far more concern is the ability of viruses and bacteria to mutate. The issue has been raised "What if the Ebola virus mutates and can become airborne?".
We-are-screwed!

shagster01

Of far more concern is the ability of viruses and bacteria to mutate. The issue has been raised "What if the Ebola virus mutates and can become airborne?".
We-are-screwed!

True. But again, we can drive ourselves crazy with what-if's.

nikolai_42

Sounds almost prophetic.

I'm waiting for someone to refer to Outbreak that came out about 20 years ago. Of course, the theory then was that it would spread by air - someone sneezing on a plane (from Africa) would spread the virus to multiple people. And the CDC's stash of the virus would be accidentally released by a mishap in Reston.

It's been years since I've seen it, but Dustin Hoffman in a yellow hazmat suit is not something that is easy to forget...

gcthomas

We-are-screwed!

It would be a major series of mutations to develop the structural and other features necessary to become like influenza and airborne. HIV is also a fragile virus, and no-one has suggested that disease might become airborne.

So don't worry about that - it won't happen.

IMJerusha

Biohazard waste receptacles is standard and hospital housekeeping is death to all germs and viruses. Contaminated sheets don't have to be burned, just washed in hot water with bleach or other proven disinfectant. Blankets are autoclaved, I think, and all of this is SOP.