Does Romans 7:1-3 affirm different rules for women and men regarding adultery?

Sonnet

[MENTION=16283]Sonnet[/MENTION],

I'm reposting the scripture.

Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives?

2 For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him.

3 So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

This is your focus in this OP, so in conjunction with the previous quote from the orthodox gentleman (assuming he was), we are now led to study the cited scripture.

This scripture would appear to support Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov's position since it's subject is a woman rather than a man.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Yet Jesus upheld the law. Not one letter or title would disappear.

That the OT appears to affirm the assertion of Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov is troubling.

I would be left wondering if Jesus' view was congruous with the OT.

You make an excellent point. Note that Jesus directly addresses Adultry on the sermon on the mount and in the dialogue with religious hypocrites. Also, He was confronted with a freshly caught adulterous by religious hypocrites.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Matthew 19:9 would be incongruous with Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov's position.

Indeed. Jesus did say that man reads into the law as rules and doctrines of man.

Which position do you feel is more accurate? That Jesus was confusing matters or clarifying them?

Sonnet

Have brought this up before - is Jesus suggestion Deuteronomy 24:1 isn't God's intention - that its a compromise?

Matthew 19:3-9
Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Deuteronomy 24:1
If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Have brought this up before - is Jesus suggestion Deuteronomy 24:1 isn't God's intention - that its a compromise?

Matthew 19:3-9
Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

Deuteronomy 24:1
If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce

This is an interesting premise and Matthew 19:8 agrees with you indiscriminately.

This is the New Testament answer... Shall we take it? Or, do we continue to plunder the Old Testament for Torah answers.

Perhaps both. Each perspective would be valuable.

chair

"indiscriminate" isn't the right word for what you are looking for. I think 'unbiased' is more correct.

The Hebrew Bible does not treat men and women equally as fair as marriage goes. Men can have more than one wife. Wives cannot have more than one husband. The rules for adultery, as a result, differ as well.

As far as Jesus's view on divorce (note: I have not read the entire thread), it looks to me that he is taking the viewpoint of the House of Shammai as opposed to that of the House of Hillel on the topic. These were the two major schools of though among the Pharisees (and I do NOT use that term in a negative sense).

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
"indiscriminate" isn't the right word for what you are looking for. I think 'unbiased' is more correct.

The Hebrew Bible does not treat men and women equally as fair as marriage goes. Men can have more than one wife. Wives cannot have more than one husband. The rules for adultery, as a result, differ as well.

As far as Jesus's view on divorce (note: I have not read the entire thread), it looks to me that he is taking the viewpoint of the House of Shammai as opposed to that of the House of Hillel on the topic. These were the two major schools of though among the Pharisees (and I do NOT use that term in a negative sense).

Excellent point. I will amend as such.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Adulterers :banana: don't go to heaven (1 Co 9-10, Ro 1:28-32). :burnlib: ] Doesn't address what I wrote.
That's all you need to know.

Jesus loves you (Jn 3:16). Jesus is willing to save you (2 Pe 3:9). Repent (Eze 18:30-32; Ac 17:30). Believe (Mk 9:23).

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned

Chair,

This is refreshing! All input you have here is welcome. Clearly you are not on the "blind faith" bandwagon and have much extensive study to contribute.

I will study up on the matters you cited. But, you are right on the money for this OP. All that come as prepared as you are welcome!

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
That's all you need to know.

Jesus loves you (Jn 3:16). Jesus is willing to save you (2 Pe 3:9). Repent (Eze 18:30-32; Ac 17:30). Believe (Mk 9:23).

Serpent Dove,

You quote much scripture well, but it is obvious that the OP author is a searcher and a person with scholarly intent. Quoting tenements of salvation is far from this OP's intent.

Way off in a beautiful field, but it isn't the correct one for this OP.