Does God know the future?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
justchristian said:
I agree good summary. But if time is just an idea how do you explain relativity, time dilation etc? Or do you disquish between our metaphysical time and God's duration time?
Well I don't explain it. I except it as evidence that there is something about the universe that I do not know and do not understand while acknowledging that time dialation as well as the rest of Einstien's THEORY has not been proven dispite the rantings of the sudden consentration of expert physicists on this website. The contradictory nonsense that these theories and others like them predict at very high rates of speed demonstrate without question that there is important aspects of the issues being dealt with that have not been explained or discovered nevermind actually proven. It is my belief that when or if we ever do figure out these difficulties that the reality of the matter will be quite different than any physist today would ever imagine and that the logical coherence of God will have remained in tact.

Resting in Him,
Clete

nancy

BANNED
Banned
Clete human reason doesn't determine existence. Existence as we perceive determines the way we think. Can God exist outside our temporal universe. Yes, because he created it. He must have existed outside it.

elected4ever

eccl3_6 said:
I'm an agnostic dude, not an atheist....I believe in a God. You may say that science doesn't change a thing...apart from the computer it enabled, which we're communicating on. And the car you drive to church...and the oven with which you cook your food ......and the fridge you keep your beer in........and the medicine you give your kids when thy're ill............the appliance of science is everywhere and if you deny it then you become hypocritical and doesn't the church have something to say on that.

Some people get on the knees to pray.....
Some do it by looking to the stars.....

Galileo looked at the stars
Why are you so defensive? I didn't attack your work. I just wont you to keep the right prospective on things. Lord knows there are a lot of obstacles that you confront that I can't begin to comprehend. Just keep things in prospective and don't let philosophy rune your good work.

elected4ever

nancy said:
Clete human reason doesn't determine existence. Existence as we perceive determines the way we think. Can God exist outside our temporal universe. Yes, because he created it. He must have existed outside it.
Where God can exist is not the point. We are discussing the when. Can God experience the non existent future I believe is the question.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
nancy said:
God exists outside the universe, yes. But that isn't at all the same thing as saying that He doesn't experience duration and sequence.

Resting in Him,
Clete

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
elected4ever said:
Why are you so defensive? I didn't attack your work. I just wont you to keep the right prospective on things. Lord knows there are a lot of obstacles that you confront that I can't begin to comprehend. Just keep things in prospective and don't let philosophy rune your good work.

Yeah it sounds like a crossed wires somewhere ....it gets pretty easy to become very defensive when people (not yourself) keep telling me that the sky is green and the grass is blue.

Sorry if I seemed to cross the line!

;)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
justchristian said:
I'm perfectly aware of several such experiments and I stand behind my statement that Relativity and all such experiements while very interesting DO NOT PROVE THAT TIME EXISTS!

These experiments don't even prove time dialation accually occures. The use very sofisticated clocks and use really fancy terminology all of which obscures the flaw in all such experiments which is that you cannot tell if it is time that is being dialated or if it something about the clocks themselves that is being changed. It makes no difference what sort of clock you use, you are still ticking off regular set of events. I understand that the time dialation fits with the math and that at least in that regard the math is sucstanciated but there is nothing here that explains the WHY. The point being that we simply don't know if the so called time dialation is real or if it is only aparrent.
At the end of the day we have two clocks both sitting in the same room at the same time, the only difference is one has ticked ten times while the other has ticked nine. It's not as if one clock is still lagging behind in some other time continuum which is what one would expect if someone left this time frame and went into the future which is exactly what these experiments are suggesting happened to the stationary clock relative to the moving one. If that happened, then how did the moving clock ever catch back up again? And make no mistake about it, it has to have caught back up or else it wouldn't be here, but the fact of the matter is it never left. Did it just skip over a few nanoseconds of time and thereby not ever experience those moments at all, or what? If so, how did that happen? Did the moving clock move into our past or did we move into it's future? If it's time was dialated, one or the other has to have happend but according to Einstein you cannot tell which because you cannot tell which clock is really doing the moving. And the fact is it doesn't matter which is really moving because it's all relative. They say the moving clock ran slower but cannot tell whether their moving clock was really ever moving in the first place. Maybe it was sent off in just the right direction to cancel out a previous vector which we and the stationary clock we already on in which case it is we and the so called stationary clock that is moving and the moving clock which is stationary and yet it is still report that the time slowed down for the so called moving clock.

There are more questions here then there are answers and the science currently available is completely helpless to answer them. They are in fact more related to philosophy than science. A great but somewhat older book that discusses these very issues in great detail is "The Dancing Wu Li Masters". What a brilliant book! The last chapter is a disapointment though because the author (Zukof if I remember correctly) goes off into eastern mysticism and crap like that but if you want to read one book and end up with a solid working knowledge of Einstein's theories as well as other important aspects of theoretical physics that's the best book I've ever read on it, and I've read many.

Now really. This is the last of this subject I'm going to address. It just isn't what you guys are cracking it up to be. You are reacting to things which 99% of the population of the planet doesn't have the expertise to understand and which have been popularized into characatures of what is really there from a scientific point of view. The heading of the article which is linked to in your post is a perfect example. "Experimental confirmations of time dilation." That is as overstated as anything could be. "Seemingly experimental confirmation of time dialation." might be more accurate but as it is it's overstating the truth.

Resting in Him,
Clete

nancy

BANNED
Banned
Clete, applied science verifies that time exists. We need time calculation to do just about everything in science. The ideas in our mind transcend just thought into the objective world.

God doesn't experience time or even think as we do. In Genesis, when it says in the begining, it just means time heaven time and earth were created together.

This is one of the main problems with your argument and your reading of Scripture. You are using anthropomorphism when you speak of God, saying he literlly changed his mind etc. There are only two ways that we can speak of God, anologically and negative soteriology.

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
Clete said:
I'm perfectly aware of several such experiments and I stand behind my statement that Relativity and all such experiements while very interesting DO NOT PROVE THAT TIME EXISTS!

These experiments don't even prove time dialation accually occures......

Yes they do ......your head is in the sand...you don't even appreciate what science is aptyl demonstrated by.....

There are more questions here then there are answers and the science currently available is completely helpless to answer them. They are in fact more related to philosophy than science.

On the contrary the problem we have in the science fraternity my friend is that science is outstripping the philosophy purely because a philsopher now has a treble load. A physicist needs to command an understanding of complex math but philosopher needs a command of all three to be effective and its got to the stage where it becoming impossible for moral bases to keep in touch. Thats why pro lifers have got their work cut out because pretty soon science will be able to keep people alive ill or not for indefinite amounts of time. Only last month there was a break through regarding neurone cell regeneration i.e. teaching the brain to regenerate keeping people sane for longer and combatting alzheimers. If you boys don't catch up there gonna be so many people past the retirement age that pension companies are gonna collapse along with the welfare state.
Don't make the mistake of thinking you can pose more questions than science because they are tearing away from the field. Its a major contention amongst the academia.
Its the old Geoff Goldblum, Jurassic park line again....scientists were so busy working out how they could they didnt stop to think if they should! If you don't believe me look at this thread. You've regularly argued points that have been accepted time and time again.

Now really. This is the last of this subject I'm going to address. It just isn't what you guys are cracking it up to be. You are reacting to things which 99% of the population of the planet doesn't have the expertise to understand

Yes exactly, I can tell you now that 99% of the population has not graduated in physiscs from one of the world's oldest universities. I have. I'm in that 1%. I'm not bragging theres lots of things I cant do....but this is one of those things I can. And so when I tell you that your science is wrong.....its wrong. And its wrong because you're contaminating science with philosophy. You can't use philosphical thought to contradict science. Neither principle works that way.

If you went to a doctor and he told you your leg was broken you'd believe him.
I'm a physicist.....your approach to science is wrong.

"Experimental confirmations of time dilation." That is as overstated as anything could be. "Seemingly experimental confirmation of time dialation." might be more accurate but as it is it's overstating the truth.

If the theory didn't work the damn satellites wouldn't work.........

They work already.....they work!!!
:bang:

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
nancy said:
Ecc, I will agree that physics and metaphysics compliment each other.

Thats what they are there for. But we can't allow a philosophical view obstruct scientific reasoning. Science never, never goes out to disprove or provide an obstacle to faith. Science just calls the shots as it sees them.

justchristian

Science is objective, scientists arent. The whole point of and scientific theory or experimentation is to test a hypothisis, which is always subjective. But the scientific community does a great job of keeping things as honest, and over all as objective, as possible.

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
justchristian said:
Science is objective, scientists arent. The whole point of and scientific theory or experimentation is to test a hypothisis, which is always subjective. But the scientific community does a great job of keeping things as honest, and over all as objective, as possible.

The problem comes when science throws up something that looks on first inspection to be bad or to contradict contemporary belief. Like Galileo with the sun and the Earth. I don't think anybody now would argue that the earth rotating the sun compromises the church in the least bit but back then it was a major thing. If anything science offers an insight into how the scripture should be read and how God is at work. I don't know why science is compromised when it could quite easily be embraced.

nancy

BANNED
Banned
eccl, but what did you think of the eternity writeup.

Actually, Clete I couldn't care less what you or Enyart have to say becuase you simply don't know what your talking about. Quit listening to Bob and think for yourself.

eccl3_6

BANNED
Banned
Clete said:
That's nice nancy but I'm not a Catholic and couldn't care less what their encyclopedia says about what eternity is. Got anything Biblical?

Resting in Him,
Clete

I think it was for my benefit because she knows that my father was a Catholic but that I have been raised up to make up my own mind. She appreciates that I'm kinda open minded and knows that I would read the link.

I did.

Cheers Nancy