Does Calvinism Make God Unjust?

beloved57

Marhig

Jesus clearly says that God is his God, meaning that God is the God of Jesus,

Already acknowledged!

I'm not saying that you have to believe as I do. Its you and others that are calling people like me as unsaved and not belonging to God for not believing in the trinity when the Bible doesn't say anywhere in it that we have to!

Well, where does it say in the bible you don't have to ?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Marhig

Already acknowledged!

Well, where does it say in the bible you don't have to ?

Peter and Paul both said it.

1 Peter 1:21
Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Galatians 1:1
Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)

Ephesians 1:20
Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

1 Thessalonians 1:10
And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

Romans 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

JAGG

I don't think John Calvin would disagree

Regarding eschatology John Calvin was probably an Amillennialist. Calvin's writings are quite voluminous and I don't recall reading his views on the final numbers of God's people. My opinion is that Calvin would NOT have agreed that the Christian Church was going to end up dinky-small. Calvin had a much BIGGER and more EXPANSIVE view of God than to hold such a dinky notion as Christ's Kingdom ends up dinky. Tiny and dinky. Not good. Makes God to small. Look at the Hubble Deep Field --- God's works are never small and dinky.

However Calvin did make a statement that is greatly appreciated by many Postmillennialists. As you know the more optimistic versions of Postmillennialism require mega-numbers of millenniums yet future so that the final number of God's people will have time to reach numbers that no man can count, also described as numerous as the grains of sand on the seashore. We need a huge number of millenniums yet future in order to achieve such numbers . . .

. . . Calvin helps us out by saying this:

"Not long after arose the millenarians, who limited the reign of Christ to a thousand years. Their fiction is to puerile to deserve refutation." __John Calvin, The Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book III; Chapter 25; Section 5

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
I don't know which post your talking about. I probably disappeared either because i was busy or it was time for bed!

But tell you what. Can you tell me where the chapter and verse is, where we are told that we are to believe in the trinity to be saved?

How can you and others tell people that they have to believe in the trinity to belong to God and be saved and then not back it up with scripture. So where is it?
Oh well you have been served and answered with text proofs. You chase yourself a few pages back. We all know you'll deny straight from God's Own Words. You were refuted long time ago. Good day

beloved57

As I said, there's no word trinity in the Bible so it doesn't say anything about believing in it or not!

Who says that the word trinity has to be in the scripture literally for God to be a Triune God? Do you have a scripture that says that ?

marhig

Oh well you have been served and answered with text proofs. You chase yourself a few pages back. We all know you'll deny straight from God's Own Words. You were refuted long time ago. Good day

Actually no I haven't, you haven't showed me any scripture that says I have to believe in a triune God to be saved. So you haven't proved it with texts at all!

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Rejection of the Trinity has no bearing on personal salvation, but it does beset a church- it closes the communion to others, and therefore limits the the Spirit.

beloved57

Actually no I haven't, you haven't showed me any scripture that says I have to believe in a triune God to be saved. So you haven't proved it with texts at all!
Neither have you proved with text you don't have to believe in a triune to be saved. So you have not proved it with text!

marhig

Who says that the word trinity has to be in the scripture literally for God to be a Triune God? Do you have a scripture that says that ?
I'm saying that there's no scripture in the Bible to say that I have to believe in a triune God to be saved! Unless you care to show me where it is?

If it's not there, then none of you have the right to condemn others for not believing in it. And God will be all of your judge! To call others who love God and Christ from their hearts heretics, unbelievers, belonging to Satan, and some even condoning the death penalty for not believing in the trinity is unbelievable, considering none of you can prove that salvation through believing in the trinity is biblical! stating over and over that we are not saved unless believe in it yet none of you have scriptural back up to say that we must believe in the trinity to be saved?

We are saved through faith by the grace of God. Not by believing in the trinity.

I think it is you and others who are under a strong delusion.

Don't try to force false teaching on others, until you or anyone else can show us a verse from the Bible the says that I must believe in the trinity to be saved.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Regarding eschatology John Calvin was probably an Amillennialist. Calvin's writings are quite voluminous and I don't recall reading his views on the final numbers of God's people. My opinion is that Calvin would NOT have agreed that the Christian Church was going to end up dinky-small. Calvin had a much BIGGER and more EXPANSIVE view of God than to hold such a dinky notion as Christ's Kingdom ends up dinky. Tiny and dinky. Not good. Makes God to small. Look at the Hubble Deep Field --- God's works are never small and dinky.

However Calvin did make a statement that is greatly appreciated by many Postmillennialists. As you know the more optimistic versions of Postmillennialism require mega-numbers of millenniums yet future so that the final number of God's people will have time to reach numbers that no man can count, also described as numerous as the grains of sand on the seashore. We need a huge number of millenniums yet future in order to achieve such numbers . . .

. . . Calvin helps us out by saying this:

"Not long after arose the millenarians, who limited the reign of Christ to a thousand years. Their fiction is to puerile to deserve refutation." __John Calvin, The Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book III; Chapter 25; Section 5

Calvin literally called Millennialism too childish to even deserve a rebuttal :chuckle:
The man didn't pull his punches, that's one of the great things about him (and why some don't like him).

I think that from the Reformist perspective, the world was rather small in their time. A part of their enthusiasm was due to the notion that the world was expanding and that the Reformation would convict more people than the Catholic Church, who was virtually selling salvation during that time.

But I don't believe the consensus was that so much more would be saved then what is implied in the scriptures- rather, it was a blow to the Roman Church.

marhig

Maybe someone can help you find it. Hurry up before you die. You'll be very glad you read that post where I provided text proofs to your questions. Amr is right!
Regardless of what you've written, if it hasn't got a verse in it that shows that I have to believe in the trinity to be saved then I don't have to, and you and others have no right to condemn me or anyone else for not believing in it!

beloved57

Crucible

Rejection of the Trinity has no bearing on personal salvation

I don't agree. Now first of all, Christ death alone saved them He died for ! However evidence of salvation will be to the acknowledgement of God's truth. So to deny the Trinity which is revealed in scripture, maybe not by the exact word, even though the word Godhead indicates it sufficiently Acts 17:29

Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Also see Rom 1:20

It's rebellion against the Truth. So in that state there's no evidence of salvation in my opinion.

Robert Pate

Banned
Crucible

I don't agree. Now first of all, Christ death alone saved them He died for ! However evidence of salvation will be to the acknowledgement of God's truth. So to deny the Trinity which is revealed in scripture, maybe not by the exact word, even though the word Godhead indicates it sufficiently Acts 17:29

Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Also see Rom 1:20

It's rebellion against the Truth. So in that state there's no evidence of salvation in my opinion.

The fact that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world is also revealed in scripture and you don't believe that, 1 John 2:2.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You've been here much longer than I but in my experience, you're not to be faulted for that. People like him hide their true beliefs as long as possible just to keep attention going. They know if they show their hand, will be written off immediately. So they pretend to be in earnest and we take them as they present themselves, assuming of them honesty and transparency where nothing but an agenda exists. And we get burned by it again and again.

You and I will never ever come to an agreement on the issues related to Calvinism. But at least we've let each other know exactly where we stand, as MEN are expected to do. Not so with many (most?) here, like Pops. I put him on ignore pretty quickly, as soon as he started acting weaselly and evasive. That's always a sure sign that has yet to fail.

So IMO, FWIW, you have no fault here except for giving the newb benefit of doubt, which my spitball calculations say 'pays off' maybe 25% of the time on TOL.
Thank you for the warm consideration, brother. At least the matter has now led to PtB outing himself and no longer lying in wait for the unsuspecting.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Regarding eschatology John Calvin was probably an Amillennialist.
Yes, some consider him to be in that category, but see this.

Some other noteworthy amills:

Augustine
Origen
Eusebius
Tyconius
Louis Berkhof
Anthony Hoekema
Vern Poythress
Geerhardus Vos
Greg Beale
J. I. Packer
Oswald T. Allis