Does Calvinism limit God?

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Z Man – You said
Ummmm... you missed something that I said earlier, obviously. Let me re-post it again, just in cased you missed it by "accident":

God becoming man in no way changed who God is/was.

Can you grasp that simple concept? If not, are you suggesting that Christ was not God; that God and Jesus were different? I know in terms of physicalities, they were. But spiritually, and in character, God and Jesus were the same. C'mon 1Way, you knew that! Don't pull a "I didn't know" on me...
Please, I grasped your simple concept. However, since we are not talking about a change in God’s divinity, the way you are now presenting your ideas are off topic. No, I did not know that you were changing the topic from God changing in any way, to God changing in His divinity. I trusted that your comments were on topic, sorry for misunderstanding what you meant.

You are nearly mocking God when you said
Remaining good??? Have you gone mad?! What the heck does that mean? As if God is refraining from doing evil....
:darwinsm:
The fact is that God entertained not doing God’s will during the most godly event ever.
Lu 22:42 saying, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done."
Just as Jesus was sincere when He was crying over Jerusalem, closed view Calvinists often take a cavalear approach at denying such a sincere reality in God, where He said
Mt 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under [her] wings, but you were not willing!
instead they say that God willed that Israel would be unbelieving so that Christ would be delivered by them unto death, God planned their unbelief. Also, by their many traditions, they make of no effect the following as well.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning [His] promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
Instead they often say that God certainly does not will that all be saved, just the limited few who He choose to get saved. It is down right grievous how cold hearted and calloused some Calvinists naturally can become as they dismiss so much scripture in favor of their many traditions.

Lastly, Z Man, in my post, I served up God’s word unadultered by false doctrine and human manipulation. If you find some false thing that I shared in that long post, then please, by all means reference the exact location for all to see. You know, the post that serves to evaporate closed theism in the face of a presumably good defense for closed theism. Or are you holding back your best just for kick?

Talk is cheap Z Man, put up, or ,,, :rolleyes: skeduddle.

Last edited:

1Way

See what I mean, fatalism inherent within the Calvinist mindset erodes so much of the vibrant truth in reality from scripture, such things become dull grays and dim shadows for them, even God’s heart cry for the lost is so typically lost on them.

Swordsman

Originally posted by 1Way
Here is what I think about Num 23:19-20. I quickly and easily scanned the surrounding passage and found So, what we have with the verse you quoted is God’s prophet who was simply doing what God told him to do while being faced with a man who was wanting Balaam to do something else. Balaam was not saying that God can not repent from doing what He said or thought He would do, He is saying that God’s word stands, and by extention, same with all the divine repentance teachings. At the end, the conflict you speak of is most clearly spelled out, God’s prophet Balaam would not reverse God’s righteous words, he would not go beyond what God told him to do.

But God gave him those words to tell Balek. By God saying He cannot lie nor change His mind - there really is no argument against the thinking of God doesn't repent.

Now, I ask you again, do you stand corrected about the John passage, God was not teaching the sort of “unlearning” “all knowing” foreknowledge that you implied He was teaching, instead He was referring to the 12 and how one of them being an unbeliever would also betray him. (Please respond directly)

So do you not think Chapter 15 of the Book of John is applicable to today? If it were just meant for His disciples, then we could have done away with this passage since we cannot apply it today. But God put it in there for a purpose - to tell us we are His chosen people, His ELECT.

Secondly, what about all the divine repentance teachings in the bible? Do you for example, not allow Jer 18 as being able to become fulfilled? More than that, do you allow that passage to be true and not void of meaning? (Please respond directly)

I do believe Jer 18 to be true. Of course. I just do not see its correlation to a doctrine of belief that God can somehow change His mind and go against His original will and do something else.

Also, your thoughts over my long post would be appreciated.

I'll get to that as well. Thanks. :)

Swordsman

You went from not understanding why God can foreknow those who Jesus mentions did not believe and would betray Him, you don’t understand God at His level of understanding, to saying not completely understanding these things is what you meant to convey. But more to the point, in your supposed understanding was your false ripped out of context meaning. I pointed that out to you, and yet you still have not stood corrected by God’s own use of that verse you ripped.

How can one possibly understand God's complete Soverignty? That is what I am saying. To comprehend that my salvation was laid out for me before this world ever began behooves me. But that's how much God loves me. I don't know why or how, but He does.

Also, I agree that God can do this present knowledge knowing anytime; of course God had not just learned how to supernaturally read the hearts of men when He choose the 12. The contention we are having is not, can God exercise supernatural knowledge and read the hearts of men, it is if His supernatural knowledge is as you said, a pre-knowledge such that the future is pre-known perfectly and exhaustively.

So again I ask you, have you stood corrected by God for taking His words out of context?

No. For God has opened my eyes to these things. Why would He then retract and tell me He is limited - that the doctrine of grace is just a hoax and its possible that we can "work" our way into His grace.

So, the point was not that I was arguing against all situations where God has sufficient present knowledge yet seeks to find out about man’s response despite that fact, I was responding to your ideas that God pre-knows everything, quote, “He learns NOTHING”. So with that in mindset as part of your contextual development, I went about showing how it is according to God’s word that God changes His mind because of man changing His mind, via divine repentance as a great example.

The argument that God can change His mind because man changes his mind just totally contradicts the fact that God foreknew His people, predestinated them, called them, justified them, and glorified them. I've heard your divine repentance point before and it is a dogleg left as to the power and sovereignty of God. He is the same, yesterday, today, and forever. Never changing. Constant. Eternal. Period.

I did not say that God repents “to someone else” as if He lied or did something wrong, I said what I said, which is that God repents away from doing what He said and thought He would do. God teaches that, I’m just referencing God’s word on the matter.

This is just semantics. None can understand why God does what He does. Maybe one day we will. By repenting, that is saying He admits to wrong-doing - which is impossible. You and I both know this.

As to divine perfection, no, God is the God of the bible whether it fits your errant manmade misconceptions of what God must do in order to be “perfect” or not. Fundamentally, you posit that for God to be perfect, He can not change, yet God never uses that as His standard for perfection. In fact, God changes in the most dramatic ways, including the incarnation. (The “incarnation” is in the bible, please read your bible for more.) Unless you’d like to deny the incarnation was a real true change in God namely that He “became” flesh and dwelt among us. Became is a change word. You can’t become something that you previously were not, and have that considered not a change. So, unless you’d like to deny that as being a change in God, then it is only obvious by one of the most core doctrines of all Christianity, that God changes in the most dramatic and godly of ways.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. John 1:1-2. He was there from the beginning. Became does not mean "change". He knew Christ was the savior of the world in the beginning. So how can you construe there to be a change? I do not understand your logic. And furthermore, what is logic? Man-made, perhaps? I think you know where I'm going with that.

So if you are going to void all the divine repentance passages, like 2 dozen of them, and especially Jer 18 where God establishes His right to do so, then you must deal uprightly with all these passages and replace the correct meaning. However, like I said, you will not be able to do that since the bible does not provide the alternate understanding, you would have to go to folks like Plato and Aristotle who taught God’s immutability and thus He can not learn any new thing, He can not change His mind etc.

"Void all the divine repentance passages"? Non-existant, my friend. So there is nothing to void. Its simply an interpretation of man, not the God-breathed Scripture as it reads.

Since you missed it the first time, I guess you’re a bit shy about dealing with God’s word where it contradicts your human presuppositions, so, I will kindly grace you with His word right here and now. Careful, sit down, brace yourself! :eek:
But the Bible is crystal clear, that God responded to what man did, and that was why God had to make another vessel, Israel did not conform to God’s will and plans to make her into an honorable vessel, so He had to make her fit as a vessel for dishonor. The Potter responds after man responds to God and His response is formed in accordance to man’s response. It is synergism personified.

But God knew what man's response would be didn't He? That's why Christ was ordained before this world ever needed a savior. That's how powerful God is. He knew man's fall was coming and needed salvation.

My human presupposition? A bit shy about dealing with God's word? C'mon. Enough of these petty attacks. You're my brother, do not treat me this way.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God certainly had provision in the event that man fell (possibility, not foregone conclusion or God's intent/will). The plan was not implemented/actualized until after the Fall (Genesis 3).

Numbers...you commit the logical fallacy of arguing from the specific to the general. In the particular case and context of the Numbers event, God would not change His mind in a fickle way. This is not a proof text to support God's absolute immutability, since other passages clearly show, in different scenarios, that God can and does change/repent/relent (which is only reasonable for any personal being, man or God).

This is similar to people who claim the Acts verse (16:31) that you and your household will be saved. It was a specific promise in a specific context and was not meant to be a formula assuring that every family member will be saved, contrary to their desires, because we claim a specific promise and try to make it general.

Z Man

Originally posted by Swordsman
My human presupposition? A bit shy about dealing with God's word? C'mon. Enough of these petty attacks. You're my brother, do not treat me this way.
You're not a brother of 1Way until you believe the way that he says is right...

:rolleyes:

Z Man

Lastly, Z Man, in my post, I served up God’s word unadultered by false doctrine and human manipulation. If you find some false thing that I shared in that long post, then please, by all means reference the exact location for all to see.
Ummm..it's obvious that you're whole post is crap. You could of summed all of it up in one sentence:

God is limited by human will.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If there are some ways that God is limited by man's will (people go to hell contrary to God's intention or wishes), it is because God voluntarily, sovereignly chose to create a universe where other moral agents have a limited effect. This introduces limited risk to God. Since He is omnicompetent, He can creatively bring His ultimate, global intentions to pass despite other moral agents ability to hinder His will at times in their lives (e.g. Hitler killing 6 million Jews; God could have snuffed Hitler, but He allowed free will to kill for a time).

Swordsman

Originally posted by godrulz

If there are some ways that God is limited by man's will (people go to hell contrary to God's intention or wishes), it is because God voluntarily, sovereignly chose to create a universe where other moral agents have a limited effect. This introduces limited risk to God. Since He is omnicompetent, He can creatively bring His ultimate, global intentions to pass despite other moral agents ability to hinder His will at times in their lives (e.g. Hitler killing 6 million Jews; God could have snuffed Hitler, but He allowed free will to kill for a time).

God limited?!?!? WOW! What doctrine is this you're preaching?

Sure, God could have killed Hitler soon enough. But, He didn't. Just like He allowed His one and only Son to be crucified. You know that old saying, 'Everything happens for a purpose'. Exactly. His purpose. And who are we to question His motives? Why did 9/11 happen, or Pearl Harbor, or the Holocaust? We could speculate till the end of time on those topics. But only He knows, cause He purposed it to come to pass.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Swordsman may agree that IF all things SERVE GOD then any number of different ideas and conflicts LISTED BELOW HIM (as His servants) would still remain HIS servants.

For example LYING and NOT LYING would BOTH be God's servants. (even if done BY GOD.)

Repenting and not repenting would still REMAIN His servants. (even if done BY GOD)

And in this position GOD cannot lie. ALL THINGS remain His Servants and He HIMself is LIMITED by NO THING.

enjoy!

smaller

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Lightson, did you not get the previous observation? God is DIRECTLY IMPLICATED in LYING. God is directly implicated in MURDER.

God is DIRECTLY IMPLICATED in ADULTERY etc.

Any reader of The Word is in BLIND DENIAL to say this is NOT TRUE.

LIES and NON LIES both SERVE HIM.

The real question then is DO LIES SERVE GOD?

And an even greater question, DOES EVIL SERVE GOD???

and the answer is YES, as ALL THINGS DO serve HIM...and

in the latter frame of SUPERIORITY, (ALL THINGS SERVE HIM)GOD DOES NOT LIE nor does HE CHANGE.

You do not know what GOD CAN DO with a LIE just as you do not know what GOD CAN DO with EVIL etc.

The only logical answer to these OBVIOUS CONFLICTS in the text is the conclusion that THE TEXT provides. Here are some briefs about ALL THINGS....

If you learn about ALL THINGS and the Holy Spirit teaches you about ALL THINGS you will quickly see ALL THINGS beneath the CREATOR of ALL THINGS....

And in this He has His Rightful Position without ending....

Even LOGIC AND REASON will SERVE HIM, but HE is NOT BOUND by THEM....get it????

John 1:3
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

John 5:20
For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

Acts 17:25
Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Romans 11:36
For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

1 Corinthians 3:21
Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are your's
Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are your's;

1 Corinthians 8:6
But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Corinthians 10:11
Now all these things happened unto them for examples

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

2 Corinthians 5:18
And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

2 Corinthians 6:10
As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Ephesians 1:10
That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

SUCH is The Exceeding Glory of OUR LORD.

enjoy!

smaller

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God is unlimited, yet limits himself in other ways. He lets you drive a car and choses to not drive it for you. He does not write the Gospel in the sky, but limits the proclamation of His message to men, earthen vessels, ambassadors for Christ. He does not use angels. This is a limitation to use men in the power of the Spirit and Word, yet it does not 'limit' His glory or perfection. God's strategy in human history is a warfare against Satan and sin. We are warriors and a battleground. This squares with Scripture and reality. The 'blueprint view' that God orchestrates every mundane and moral detail is simplistic and unnecessary and makes Him less glorious than a Providential, responsive Ruler. He does not have to be a control freak to bring His purposes to pass, but often works with the genuine freedom of other moral agents. We can obey or disobey Him and His moral law. This is why we are accountable/responsible and cannot blame God for evil.

1Way

The silence is deafening, while personal attacks replace a counter point

The silence is deafening, while personal attacks replace a counter point

This is interesting, I demolish your view from a third party evidently because it does a better job at attacking the open view than other attempts, so now you either avoid, speak past, or attack me personally

instead of deal with what has been put before you

on the very issue we are supposed to be talking about. It was just as good then, as it is now, the closed view is wrought to nothing by taking the bible seriously.
There, I am done editing. ;) I think. :eek:

Z Man – I do not usually enjoy responding to posts via third party references, especially if they replace you input, also, this website promotes exactly what I am saying to help facilitate one on one person to person dialogue. If I wanted to read what “someone else thinks”, I would not be discussing this with you but with them instead. Not a big deal though as some use of quotations from third parties may be appropriate upon occasion, but they should not predominate or substitute for your thoughts. In this case, you present no other thoughts, thus my remark is warranted.

I take your submission in a good natured way, please inform us of “your” thoughts on the matter at some point, do you agree fully with this post, is it your tentative view, are you suspect or open to alternative views, and of course, what do you think of my point counter-points. I will quote the entire post dispersed with footnotes to emphasize, demonstrate, and promote a mindset of not violating the wider context. This will make my post longer than usual, but I believe it will promote more direct point counterpoint clarity.

www.xtristian.org said
Originally posted by Z Man

The Dilemma

(1) To the Biblical teaching regarding the immutability of God, it is often countered, "What about the verses in the bible that speak of God's repentance?" Those asking the question often cite verses such as Genesis 6:6-7, Exodus 32:14, Judges 2:18, 1 Samuel 15:11, Isaiah 38:1-6, or Jonah 3:10. What is to be said for or against these claims? How can these verses be reasonably reconciled with the immutability of God taught in the rest of the scriptures?

The Passages Examined

(2) In all of the above passages, except Isa. 38:1-6, the Hebrew word, nacham, is explicitly used. The only major bible translation that translates this word "repent," is the KJV. Each of the other translations choose the alternate meaning conveyed, "was sorry" or "relented," indicating a feeling of regret on God's part rather than a total retreat of purpose or about face (the Hebrew shuwb has the latter strict translation when speaking of repentance). This is a significant point in that the context must govern the translation of a word with alternate meanings.

(3) The chief tension then is the stark contrast of God's immediately expressed emotion with the already and clearly established doctrine of God's immutability. If God is immutable, it is argued, then why would He express sorrow at something He allowed to happen and change His actions. In some cases (Isa. 38:1-6; Jonah 3:10), individuals will even call into question the prophetic qualifications of a prophet who changes a prior prophecy.

(4) It is critical to remember, that the immutability of God does NOT hold that God reacts the same in all situations. It teaches, instead, that God is unchanging in His being, character, purposes, and promises. There can be no doubt that God foreknew all of the situations in the above passages from before all time, purposed them, and even knew their outcome. Yet, the beauty of God is that He is also a personal Being, who interacts with His creation and reveals Himself to man. Therefore, as God relates with man, each moment in time may involve a different IMMEDIATE expression of His Being, whether it be wrath, anger, patience, love, or forgiveness. Rather than construe the above passages to mean that God's eternal purposes had changed, it should be recognized that a personal and compassionate God had entered into history and engaged His people with feeling and emotion. (5) God's immutability is maintained throughout the Old Testament by use of the same word, nacham, to clearly state (even in the same book and chapter as one of the above passages) that God is not like a man, who should lie, repent, or change (Nu. 23:19; 1 Sam. 15:29; Ps. 110:4; Jer. 4:28; Ezek 24:14). Rather than assume that these authors had never read one another (which is impossible in the case of Samuel, who wrote both 1 Sam 15:11 and 15:22) and mistakenly contradicted each other, it is more reasonable to build an understanding that harmonizes the passages.

Reading through the contexts of each of the verses, it is clear that the eternal purposes of God are preserved and unaltered in every instance.

(6) The prophet Jeremiah well declared the permanent intent of God with His people:
The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. (Jer 18:7-10, emphasis added) (7) In other words, God reserves the right to change how He deals with any situation IF the people change how they follow after His ways. That is God's unchanging purpose with man. (8) It is why Jonah was not a false prophet when He declared the destruction of Nineveh1, but was told later to recant the proclamation. (9) God's purpose was to bring about repentance. (10) Had Nineveh NOT repented and God spared the city, then Jonah could be declared to be a false prophet and God mutable. This, however, is not the case in Jonah 3 or any of the passages above. That repentance brings about forgiveness is one of the great solaces of the unchanging gospel of Christ. Without it, there is no gospel and a savior who died in vain.

(11) Finally, a survey of the above passages and the immediate contexts will reveal that not only does the behavior of the people change and bring about an alternate disposition of God, but there is in many of the cases petition made before God by one of His people. In the case of Exodus 32, Moses pleads against God's judgment for His people by the promises of the covenant; in Judges 2, the groaning of the people under oppression is heard by God; in Isaiah 38, the prayer of Hezekiah is heard and answered by God. How beautiful it is, that God personally hears, is moved by, and answers the petitions of His people. It is somewhat paradoxical that God can hear a prayer and remain sovereign. Yes, it is a mystery, indeed. However, it poses no contradiction to God's immutability.

Conclusion

What "changed" in these verses is how God related and interacted with His people in different circumstances. (The doctrine of God's immutability does NOT hold that God reacts the same in every situation, but rather that His being, character, purposes, and promises are immutable.) It is the beauty of the unchanging gospel and purposes of God, that he should offer forgiveness (that second chance) after repentance to those that are His people. It is the beauty of the personal God, that after His people petition so fervently before Him, that God hears them and offers forgiveness to them. These actions of God are wholly consistent with His immutable purposes and promises (Jer. 18:7-10) that were willed from before all time and carried out in history. Indeed, God is not a man, that He should lie or change! Yet, He is personal and engaging and will react differently in specific situations.

Footnotes

(12) 1 Incidentally, the prophecy of Jonah against Nineveh (Jonah 3:4) does not pretend to be a complete transcript of all that Jonah said. It is very possible, in fact likely, that Jonah cried out with more than the words "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown," since most prophets preached judgement with a call to repentance. In fact the exact words of Jonah play a very minor role in the book of Jonah, as the focus is on God's call to repentance and the forgiveness that is conditioned thereon.

www.xtristian.org

(1) Obviously this is written with a biased view of what biblical immutability really is. Biblical immutability concerns God’s character and faithful ways, not that God can not change in any way. This again points to a problem of dealing with a third party communication; we are not having a mutual discussion of the context involved. God is shown to change in the most dramatic ways. Examine around the core of the gospel message itself, what happened as a result of the incarnation is absolutely central to Christianity, and the incarnation is a great example of God changing. God “became” flesh and dwelt among us. “Became” is a change word, it is impossible to undergo becoming something different, and at the same time, and in the same relationship, that not being a change. If God did not change when He became flesh, then perhaps He was always manifested in the flesh, but that makes no sense at all. God the son emptied Himself of the glory which He shared with the father, and then later on Earth He prayed to the Father to share His glory with Jesus as He had done in the past. That is a real change. Jesus humbled Himself to the point of death, that is a real change. God repenting from what He said and thought He would do, represents a change even in His thoughts and mind!

So since

we should never take any single teaching in contradiction to other teachings of the bible,

we know that one of the two must be understood differently. And to my understanding, the open view’s understanding of God’s unchanging ways is a far better fit to the entire word of God, than the closed view’s understanding of voiding all aspects of God’s word where it teaches and demonstrates God changing, even changing His spoken and unspoken mind via divine repentance. Frankly, I came to the open view by simply reading scripture and holding loosely to my presuppositions about Him existing outside of time and predestinating all individuals to heaven and hell prior to all time, etc.

I will only focus on Jer 18 1-10 especially 7-10 and Jonah 3:4&10 for the sake of brevity and clarity.

But before I move on, I’d like to make one thing perfectly clear. I am providing a godly reasonable explanation for both side’s texts of this debate, including the so called “problem” texts for my view. I believe I have no problem or proof texts, but then again, so does the other side. However, when you grant their view, and then you consider all the divine repentance teachings, they do not deal rightly with them at all. They violate them, and worse, they replace the meaning, with nothing. And that is in direct violation of what it means to rightly handle scripture. It’s ok to be ignorant about what some teaching in the bible means, ignorance is not the problem. The problem is when you say that you know that these repentance passages do not mean what they plainly say and teach. They even go so far as to say that they must not be taken literally, thus take figuratively, but, when asked to simple question, ok, if that is so, then what sort of figure is it, and what does the figure mean, they have no reasonable response! Especially in explaining what the figure means.

This wholesale voiding of scripture at the expense of protecting manmade presuppositions about God and His word is a grievous violence and should not be tolerated. Anyone saying that they know the right understanding of a text or passage, and then when asked what does that part of the text teach, what does this it mean, and they can’t tell you, such a thing represents one of the highest forms of self imposed delusion and fraud possible, it is intellectual suicide and makes a mockery of God and the Christian faith. Anyone knows that if you disagree with a literal meaning of a passage of text, then it is incumbent upon yourself to provide the reasonable explanation for what it instead means. God is wise, He knew what He said, and said what He meant.

(2) A word has no such power as to overturn it’s contextual use. Yes, the word nacham can and does mean to sigh, to be comforted, like the relief upon standing corrected or a wrong righted, and it can mean repent from doing what you said or thought you were going to do, changing your previous intended direction even unto a 180 degree turnaround. Nacham can mean all these things.

As to shuwb, strongs 7725, the authorized version translates it’s occurrences as follows

return 391,
... again 248,
turn 123,
... back 65,
... away 56,
restore 39,
bring 34,
render 19,
answer 18,
recompense 8,
recover 6,
deliver 5,
put 5,
withdraw 5,
requite 4,
misc 40;
total = 1066

So it is hardly true that this word necessarily means repentance as compared to nacham. What if the teaching uses NEITHER of these words yet still describes an act of repentance? Such as,

On second thought, I said that I would do X, but now that things have changed, I will do Y instead.

“Second” does not mean repent, “thought” does not mean repent, “changed” does not mean repent, “instead” does not mean repent! In fact, no repentance word is remotely necessary in order to demonstrate or communicate repentance! If I am loving, does not mean that I must use the word love in conveying that love? No way. The contextual meaning is the highest order of meaning, not word definitions. Words are subjugated to their use in phrases and longer more definitive types of communication, like sentences and paragraphs.

(3) Not clearly expressed by God. The clearest expression of the classic idea of God’s immutability which this writer is referring to (that He does not change in any way), is most clearly taught from pagan and Greek philosophy and myth. For a historical rabbit trail from the ancient Greek philosophers on divine immutability and how that was accepted by earlier Christian thinkers, see John Sanders contribution to “The openness of God” in chapter 2, historical Considerations, page 59–100, where he does an amazing job of objectively dealing with the historical facts involved, exposing the indelible link between the pagans and the Christians concerning the closed view. The major thematic headings include:

Greek philosophical conceptions of God,
Plato,
Aristotle,
The Stoics,
Philo: The bridge from the Greeks to the Christians,
The Church Fathers’ appropriation of the philosophical God,
The Arian controversy,
Augustine,
The middle ages,
The reformation era,
Progressive views of God,
Conservative protestant views of God,
Moderate views of God,
Concluding reflections.

It is a great read, very understandable, only a few short pages per issue, and very compelling and for many, very shocking information. I met John Sanders personally, he is a great teacher and very interesting person. So, when closed theists promote divine immutability, they are far more closely quoting Plato and Aristole and repeating their support argumentation, than they are quoting and arguing how God does not change from scripture.

(4) This is not accurately stated, and the second sentence is almost exactly what the Open view holds, especially when you consider that God’s word does not need a promise of fulfillment in order to be trustworthy, yet in Jer 18 the Potter and the clay, God teaches His unalterable right to repent from doing what He said and thought He would do. The irony of this fact, is that the closed theist says no God, you can not repent from doing what you said and thought You would do, so they allow for most of God’s word to be unchangingly true, but they reject God’s word about divine repentance saying that it can not be true, it can not happen. Ask a closed theist to list all the prophecies in God’s word that God said He did not do them, they did not come to pass, and they are completely stumped and dumbfounded. There are others, but I will focus on Jonah 3:10 as it is so concise and simple to understand, whenever he gets around to dealing with it.

Next he says
that there can be no doubt God foreknew all of the situations in the above passages from before all time, purposed them, and even knew their outcome. Yet, the beauty of God is that He is also a personal Being, who interacts with His creation and reveals Himself to man.
This is wrong on so many levels. There most certainly is doubt that God foreknew all those situations from before all time, in a number of ways. First, the passage (Jonah 3:4&10) teaches that God changed His mind and did not do what He said He would do, “God’s word says” that He did not do it (meaning He did not do His spoken prophesied destruction of Nineveh). So by trusting in God’s word (imagine that), I believe that He did not foreknow from before all time what would happen. God’s word demonstrates that He did not. Secondly, and not any less importantly, the writer brazenly asserts a time which was “before all time”, which is wrong on at least 2 counts. First, it is a logical fallacy to speak of the idea of “before” “all time”. Time is experienced through the steady logical succession of events ordered one after the other, so such terms as “before” or “since” or “from” when relating to time sequencing, are time sequencing ideas, they show an order of progression, which is an aspect of time. So the idea of God’s knowledge “proceeding” “before” “all time”, is in itself a time idea, thus violating the all time concept.

Secondly, scripture does not teach the creation of time. In fact, it teaches more like the opposite. God’s names are typically concerning some truth about Him, He does not normally go by names/titles/truisms that would contradict His character and nature and ways, yet, He is called the ancient of days, and the living God, and He who is and was and is to come, from everlasting to everlasting, etc. God teaches us to NOT worship or pay too much honor to His creation, worship Him, not His creation, yet we worship our God who is the “ancient of days”, “the living God”, etc. so these ideas of God being the “ancient of days” and “the living God” identity us with something that reflects His nature accurately.

Also, no where in the scriptures is the idea taught that God created time, or that God exists outside of time. There is time in heaven, numerous examples of this in the book of the Revelation.

Lastly, don’t rely upon a subjective issue of whether or not God is expressing emotion or not in order to argue against God changing and not foreknowing the entire future. God getting upset or comforted is a tangent issue if God actually reverses what He said and thought He would do, then plainly God changes His mind, God repents.

(5) True but only according to the biblical definition of divine unchangingness, not the classical version of divine immutability. Of special note, I saw no use of the words “not change” in the NKJV for all those examples. It seems the author overstepped his standing on this issue as well. In the Sam passage, God most clearly expresses how it is that He does not repent, and how it is that He does repent, both! God does not repent like a man needs to because of lying or doing wrong, it’s not that He does wrong and then needs to repent. It is because God learned of the new changed situation that God repents.

This may be a reflection upon a classic Hebrew language tool, parallelism. Back then, when they rhymed, they did not repeat for similar sound, they repeated a similar idea. Consider the following and see if you can catch the brilliance of such parallelism.

Pr 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him.
Pr26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes.
See how the same wording/idea repeated, while changing it’s contextual use illustrates yet another idea that neither the one or the other could convey without them both being set in contrast to each other. There are two basic ways to answer a fool, one is according to his folly, and the other is according to his folly. :think: You the reader must discern the unspoken implied meaning of each. Absolutely brilliant. Consider, Pharaoh (first) hardened his heart, and God hardened his heart with the many miraculous plagues defying Pharaoh’s power hungry control and defiance against God. If Pharaoh would have repented and obeyed God, then God would have been glorified, so God did not force Pharaoh to be evil, He has no problem stating things in such a way as to make you use righteous understanding about what God is talking about.

Ok, so here’s a case that might be using an extended form of parallelism, but not nearly as pointed and clear as compared to the fool and his folly passage.
1Sa 15:11 It repenteth <05162> me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night.
1Sa 15:29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent <05162>: for he is not a man, that he should repent <05162>.
1Sa 15:35 And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented <05162> that he had made Saul king over Israel. (KJV)
Same word used of God repenting four times in three verses in this passage, all within the space of just 20 verses. Two showing God “doing nacham”, and one showing “He will not do nacham”. Very interesting, so that does not settle anything, lets look at the contextual development over what God is said to be nachaming about.
“8 He also took Agag king of the Amalekites alive, and utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword. 9 But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep, the oxen, the fatlings, the lambs, and all that was good, and were unwilling to utterly destroy them. But everything despised and worthless, that they utterly destroyed.”

“10 Now the word of the LORD came to Samuel, saying, 11 "I greatly regret <05162> that I have set up Saul as king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the LORD all night. 12 So when Samuel rose early in the morning to meet Saul, it was told Samuel, saying, "Saul went to Carmel, and indeed, he set up a monument for himself; and he has gone on around, passed by, and gone down to Gilgal." 13 Then Samuel went to Saul, and Saul said to him, "Blessed are you of the LORD! I have performed the commandment of the LORD." 14 But Samuel said, "What then is this bleating of the sheep in my ears, and the lowing of the oxen which I hear?" 15 And Saul said, "They have brought them from the Amalekites; for the people spared the best of the sheep and the oxen, to sacrifice to the LORD your God; and the rest we have utterly destroyed." 16 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Be quiet! And I will tell you what the LORD said to me last night." And he said to him, "Speak on." 17 So Samuel said, "When you were little in your own eyes, were you not head of the tribes of Israel? And did not the LORD anoint you king over Israel? 18 "Now the LORD sent you on a mission, and said, ‘Go, and utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against them until they are consumed.’ 19 "Why then did you not obey the voice of the LORD? Why did you swoop down on the spoil, and do evil in the sight of the LORD?" 20 And Saul said to Samuel, "But I have obeyed the voice of the LORD, and gone on the mission on which the LORD sent me, and brought back Agag king of Amalek; I have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. 21 "But the people took of the plunder, sheep and oxen, the best of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice to the LORD your God in Gilgal." 22 Then Samuel said: "Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."”

“24 Then Saul said to Samuel, "I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. 25 "Now therefore, please pardon my sin, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD." 26 But Samuel said to Saul, "I will not return with you, for you have rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel." 27 And as Samuel turned around to go away, Saul seized the edge of his robe, and it tore. 28 So Samuel said to him, "The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today, and has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you. 29 "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. <05162> For He is not a man, that He should relent. <05162>" 30 Then he said, "I have sinned; yet honor me now, please, before the elders of my people and before Israel, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD your God." 31 So Samuel turned back after Saul, and Saul worshiped the LORD.”

“32 Then Samuel said, "Bring Agag king of the Amalekites here to me." So Agag came to him cautiously. And Agag said, "Surely the bitterness of death is past." 33 But Samuel said, "As your sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women." And Samuel hacked Agag in pieces before the LORD in Gilgal. 34 Then Samuel went to Ramah, and Saul went up to his house at Gibeah of Saul. 35 And Samuel went no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul, and the LORD regretted <05162> that He had made Saul king over Israel.” (1Sa 15:8-35 NKJV)
See, God was not just sorry that He made Saul king, God made him king, and then God nacham’ed against His doing so and took the kingship away from Saul. God reversed His decision to have Saul as King.

Sorry, I repented from doing what I said I would do. I went against my word to only focus on Jonah, and this is primarily why, the context is that important to develop, but it takes up so much more space to cover, please forgive this indulgence, but it serves wonderfully to promote righteous bible understanding when you don’t violate the context. That the truth may set you free. But oh what a long post this will be. :eek:

The writer said
Rather than assume that these authors had never read one another (which is impossible in the case of Samuel, who wrote both 1 Sam 15:11 and 15:22) and mistakenly contradicted each other, it is more reasonable to build an understanding that harmonizes the passages.
That is a tremendous falsification. But to the point, what is he talking about in verse 22? I think he might mean 23 instead, but I’m not sure. :think:
1Sa 15:11 "I greatly regret that I have set up Saul [as] king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the LORD all night.

1Sa 15:22 Then Samuel said: "Has the LORD [as great] delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, [And] to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."

1Sa 15:29 "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. For He [is] not a man, that He should relent."
Such a comparison shows no contradiction, let alone a problem with Open theism and divine repentance. If he meant verse 29, then that is also not a contradiction. These separate verses show God saying how He does and does not repent. He repents like this, but not like that. Total harmonization without voiding scripture of any meaning.

(6) What emphasis added? But bravo for quoting God for His teaching on this issue. Perhaps the most accurate truth presentation he made.

(7) This is misleading and vague, because I would say the exact same thing concerning the open view, we must continue on to see what this writer is trying to convey.

(8) Totally wrong. The reason why Jonah is not considered a false prophet, is because He spoke the word of God faithfully and true. The record that we have in God’s word is faithful and true, God said that He did not bring the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it. God explained that it was within God and because of the change from Nineveh that He changed, and the truthfulness of Jonah was what kept Jonah from being a false prophet, not something else. Yet still the writer’s development so far is not far from what any open theist would say happened. We must read on to understand where this writer is coming from and means to convey.

(9) And here we find the whole issue, the writer is “trying” to pass off a transposition of concepts. He is switching

God’s eternal plans and desire for men to repent, i.e. God is redemptive and merciful to all who love and obey Him, and opposes those who do not.
(God is the same, He learns nothing)

With God not doing what He said He would do.
(God responds to what He learns, He changes His mind.)

Both are divine truths, but the two are not the same issue. We are concerned about the question of God preknowing the entire future or not, not if God’s character is faithful and true. We must focus on the mind of God, whether or not He changes His mind and does not do what He said He would do, and that is exactly the case in point!

(10) Here the writer lets it all hang out as gross and wrong as could be. If a prophet speaks the truth and doesn’t speak presumptuously, and God follows through with the prophesy that He truly said He would do, that is no reason to judge against the prophet no matter their repentance or not. The prophet is not held responsible for whatever changes take place after truthfully speaking for the Lord. So this claim is unfounded and contrary to scripture. As to God being impugned because of punishing a repentant people, that is a good point, yet again, this fully supports the open view, not argues against it. We accept a God who adjusts for “altering circumstances”, it is the closed view says that God makes no adjustments, it is all preknown and unalterable, God’s response is thus perfectly unalterable. So we see that the writer conveniently switches from examining what God said He would do and then did not do, to God’s eternal purpose and ways. The two are not the exact same issue, as though the only righteous presupposition is that God foreknows all things, thus for God to learn something new is completely unbibilical and does not even enter his contemplation during his explanation of the passage. Yet God be true and every man a liar, God did not do what He said He would do.

Lastly, I restate my challenge to all closed theists. Any time you void the passage of meaning, you MUST replace it with a reasonable meaning instead. Here the writer does no such thing. I’ll quote you verse 10 God’s version, and then I will quote you verse 10 the closed version.
[size=4.5]Jonah’s Nineveh prophesy[/size]
(God’s meaningful version)

Jon 3:10 Then God saw their works,
that they turned from their evil way;
and God relented from the disaster
that He had said He would bring upon them,
and He did not do it.
(Man’s meaningless closed view version)

Jon 3:10 .. ? .. God .. ? .. their works,
..?.. they turned from their evil way;
and God ? ... ... ? ... ... the disaster
... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... upon them,
and He
...?...?...?.
More plainly, when you say

that God did not change His mind
implying that God did do what He said He would do,

then verse 10 is a meaningless contradiction to that idea. If the closed theist’s idea is true, that God never changes and always does what He says or thinks He will do, then what does verse 10 mean if it does not mean the exact opposite of that idea? :think:

The silence is deafening.

(11) This writer is using a ploy that is sometimes convincing but at it’s foundation is deceitful. He is taking on our arguments and phraseology and doing his best to make them work for him. Sometimes this is a good thing to do, especially if you do it properly. Here the writer presents direct contradiction to his own view. He says
not only does the behavior of the people change and bring about an alternate disposition of God, but there is in many of the cases petition made before God by one of His people.
He teaches that God has only ONE UNALTERABLE plan, only one unchanging will, so for God to have an “alternative” response to the one He already gave, is complete disharmony to everything he has been saying. And yet it is consistent that he is transposing God’s divine repentance away from doing what He said or thought He would do, with His unchanging eternal ways. God planned to destroy Nineveh, but then after they repented, God repented from bringing the destruction which he said He WOULD bring, and He did NOT do it. “God” said that He did not do what He said He would do. And He did that to remain faithful to His unchanging ways and righteousness and mercy, etc. The biblical doctrine of divine repentance is the right solution and refutes closed theism completely.

Somewhat paradoxical? God says after the fact, that He did not do what He said He would do, and this writer only see’s no change in God in that, no change in intentions, no change in what He said He would do, even thought God’s commentary on the Jonah prophesy was that He repented from bringing the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it. That is God’s word, it is meaningful and true, and this write did nothing but void that change in God’s intentions and replaced it with nothing.

When God said that He did not bring the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it, the writer is asking you forget all about that stuff, and just remember that God is merciful and gracious towards those who repent and honor God. He has addressed the teaching, but voided it of meaning, and replaced it with nothing. It is a disgrace.

(12) But what Jonah did say was scripturally correct, you can not invalidate the truth God decided to preserve in His word. Same with verse 10 which is God’s commentary on His own prophetic word which He repented from doing and is in my opinion a clear demonstration or fulfillment of Jer 18 the Potter and the clay where God reserves the right to repent of what He said and from what He THOUGHT He would do. God repenting, and not doing what He previously thought He would do, leaves precisely zero room for closed theism. It is anti-biblical, instead, the bible teaches plainly a living changing rationally mutable God who does indeed learn new things.

God’s word is true, don’t violate scripture. :thumb:
But then again, if you don’t take God’s word very seriously by voiding it of meaning here and there with no care nor defense for your actions, then I understand why you don’t take me very seriously.

Or ???

have any of you closed theists all of a sudden arrived at a replacement meaning for all the divine repentance passages?

The silence is still deafening, all these years.

Last edited:

Z Man

Originally posted by godrulz

In other words, you are agreeing with the closed view; God always gets His way.

:thumb:

Z Man

Again, your arrogance is annoying...

Again, your arrogance is annoying...

This is interesting, I demolish your view from a third party evidently because it does a better job at attacking the open view than other attempts, so now you either avoid, speak past, or attack me personally instead of deal with what has been put before you on the very issue we are supposed to be talking about.
Your arrogance is sickening. Do you really suppose that your 50 million word post proves the open view to be correct? That your "brilliance" somehow solves the never ending debate between the two opposing views? :ha: Please....

You desperately need a fresh can of humbleness in your Christian diet.
It was just as good then, as it is now, the closed view is wrought to nothing by taking the bible seriously.
You mean the closed view is wrought to nothing because you say so...

Your way is not the 1 way. When I took the bible seriously, that's when I finally realized how false the "open view" was. Thank God for wisdom. Let's pray that he'll grant you some as well. I hate to see a Christian brother stumble over simple Bible verses that most children in Sunday School could easily interpret and understand in context.
But then again, if you don’t take God’s word very seriously by voiding it of meaning here and there with no care nor defense for your actions, then I understand why you don’t take me very seriously.
I don't take you seriously because of your pride and arrogance. You're the neighborhood "Mr. Know-it-all" when it comes to biblical doctrine. It's funny though, how you take pride in thinking you are correct, yet you support the open view.

Such irony...

1Way

is this all about mud tossing, or solid firm foundation standing

is this all about mud tossing, or solid firm foundation standing

Z Man – You said
Your arrogance is sickening. Do you really suppose that your 50 million word post proves the open view to be correct? That your "brilliance" somehow solves the never ending debate between the two opposing views? Please....

You desperately need a fresh can of humbleness in your Christian diet.
I was trying to get you to respond to my point counterpoint refutation of everything you posted from that third party site since you did not respectfully respond to it via my humble submission, so I thought I’d call your attention to it again via exaggerated tough guy claims of victory. It was an obvious ploy goading you to actually make a rational reasonable point counter point. It was not my estimation of my person. But really Z Man, you are over the top in this regard, it is sickening about your sickening remarks, including your sickening remarks about sickening this and sickening that, it is really getting sickening all your sick sick sickening sickness of over sickening the whole sickening thing.

Your focus on personalized attacks, yet you attack me for personal attacks when instead I should be presenting biblical and reasonable debate arguments. So I do that, and you turn to mud slinging.

I am calling you to stand up for what is right and true in these matters. I have denounced the closed view in the face of the closed view with and from scripture, and I have challenged the closed view proponents to counter my points, and so far no one will respond.

If you have nothing better to do than attack me as I try and try and try again to get you closed viewers to respond, then your silence in the face of the bible’s refutation of your view, remains deafening.

or

perhaps you do you actually have replacement meanings for all the divine repentance passages that you say does not teach that God repents/changes His mind?

Please, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and as you have requested me to do, and as I have done, only you have not returned the same favor, yet. I meant not to goad you to wrath, just to respond, my serious bible presentation has already been established, you should not question my motives in that regard, please respond accordingly.

1Way

From God’s word on divine repentance - An open challenge to closed theists

From God’s word on divine repentance - An open challenge to closed theists

Z Man – Swordsman – closed theists - Consider the following, and please respond by answering the question below each example of God’s word provided.

Notice
  • I am not interested in what you think the passage does not mean.
  • I am not interested in what you think the passage might mean.
  • I am not interested in what you think the passage should mean.
  • I am not interested in what you think the passage implies.
  • I am not interested in if you think the passage is or is not that important.
  • I am not interested in if you think the passage is or is not enough to promote the open view.
  • I am not interested in claims that the word “relent”/”nacham” does not necessarily mean repent/change one’s intended course or mind.
    (need I say more? ... ?)

• I am “only” interested in what you think the passage “does” mean, specifically concerning divine repentance/”nacham” from doing what He said and or thought He would do.

This is a fair inquiry and I dare say a biblical requirement for not “voiding”/”doing violence against” scripture. Scripture never returns void, and we should never violate/contradict scripture by our traditions/philosophy and “sincere” beliefs.

[size=3.5]Question 1’s bible example[/size]

Here is my challenge to all closed theists. Any time you “void” the passage of meaning, you must replace it with a reasonable biblically provided replacement meaning. I’ll quote you verse 10 God’s version, and then I will quote you verse 10 in the closed view’s version.
(God’s meaningful version)

Jon 3:10 Then God saw their works,
that they turned from their evil way;
and God relented from the disaster
that He had said He would bring upon them,
and He did not do it.
(Man’s meaningless closed view version)

Jon 3:10 .. ? .. God .. ? .. their works,
..?.. they turned from their evil way;
and God ? ... ... ? ... ... the disaster
... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... upon them,
and He
...?...?...?.

[size=3.5]Question 1[/size]

If God is not saying that He repented from what He said He would do, then, what “is He saying When He says” that He repented from doing what He said He would do? (Restated more simply.) What does that verse mean if you deny that God can repent and change His mind?
:think: :confused:

[size=3.5]Question 2’s bible example[/size]

• (Jer 18:1-10 NKJV)

[size=4.5]The Potter and the clay[/size]

The Vision, figurative speech

“1 The word which came to Jeremiah from the
    LORD, saying: 2 "Arise and go down to the
    potter’s house, and there I will cause you to
    hear My words." 3 Then I went down to the
    potter’s house, and there he was, making
    something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that
    he made of clay was marred in the hand of the
    potter; so he made it again into another vessel,
    as it seemed good to the potter to make.

God’s explanation of the vision, literal application

5 Then the word of the LORD came to me,
    saying: 6 "O house of Israel, can I not do with
    you as this potter?" says the LORD. "Look,
    as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you
    in My hand
    , O house of Israel!

The general principle of divine repentance, literal
    didactic truism

7 "The instant I speak concerning a nation
    and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up,
    to pull down, and to destroy it,
    8 "if that nation against whom I have spoken
    turns from its evil,
    (then) I will *relent of the disaster
    that I thought to bring upon it.

9 "And the instant I speak concerning
    a nation and concerning a kingdom,
    to build and to plant it,
    10 "if it does evil in My sight
    so that it does not obey My voice,
    then I will *relent concerning the good
    with which I said I would benefit it.

* nacham = Strongs #5162 = repent

“(then)” supplied in verse 8 for emphasis on
    the “if then” conditional arrangement.

[size=3.5]Question 2[/size]

Considering verses 7-10, if God is not saying that God will relent/repent/”nacham” from doing what He said “and” thought He would do, then, what is He saying When He says that He repents from doing what He said and thought He would do?
:think: :confused:

Thanks in advance for your respectful and thoughtful consideration and direct response. :thumb:

Last edited:

1Way

God's word is true

God's word is true

One biblical requirement, don't nullify/contradict God's word.

Two simple biblical examples of many that falsify the closed view.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Re: God's word is true

Re: God's word is true

One biblical requirement, don't nullify/contradict God's word.

Two simple biblical examples of many that falsify the closed view.

Open Theists rightly take these passages literally and at face value (which is the norm for interpreting any literature).

Closed theists take them figuratively to support a pre-conceived theology. If they do not mean what they say, then how would God communicate IF He was revealing the Open View God with a literal change in mind (assume this, since there must be a way to communicate this truth as a possibility, even if you do not believe it as true i.e. how would it be worded, for example, if you want to communicate that MAN or GOD literally changed their minds and relented/repented)?

The answer seems to be that the only way God could differentiate between revealing Himself as a God who changes His mind or a God who cannot change His mind would be a literal reading (as seen in those verses). If God does not change His mind, then 1way's examples would not be worded as they are. Even figurative language would have to communicate reality and truth, not an illusion, when it comes to who God is and what He does.

Closed theists will then appeal to verses like Numbers and Samuel where it says that God does not change his mind like man does (why take these passages literally and the other ones as anthropomorphisms?). Both sets of verses do not contradict each other and can and should be taken as an accurate revelation of God and His ways.
The Open View resolves this by recognizing that God is responsive, creative, and personal, and not an unfeeling, unthinking God who cannot act or change (will) in response to men's choices.

The "I do not change my mind" verses are easily understood in context as revealing that in THAT ONE specific instance/passage God WOULD not change His mind (he purposes to judge, not show mercy). It does not say that God COULD not (morally or metaphysically) change His mind as evidenced by many verses that say He does in fact change His mind in response to new choices or circumstances (this is true sovereignty). They also reveal that God does not change His mind in a fickle, capricious way like humans do, but that He changes in truth and justice and in relation to changes in man's disposition or choices (repentance vs rebellion; prayer= Hezekiah). This makes sense of God's call to repentance (Jonah) and obedience. Deuteronomy= IF you obey you will be blessed; IF you disobey, you will be cursed.

I would encourage closed theists to take all passages about the nature and ways of God literally, unless there is a clear reason not to (e.g. He covers us with His wings). The Open View is more faithful to an evangelical hermeneutic by taking historical narratives at face value.