Does Calvinism limit God?

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Swordsman – You said
After reading this entire thread, it seems that the theme here should not be "Does Calvinism limit God" but "Does Bickering about Why God does the things He Wills".

If I understood why there are those who Jesus mentions in John 6:64 But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him., then I would be on the same wavelength of intellect of God.
which wis a bit different from the way you reshaped or reassessed our discussion, don’t violate and rip words out of context. Be respectful and cogent with the words we use. Here was your treatment of our discussion.
Originally posted by 1Way You suggest your personal knowledge and assurance about God’s will in such a way as to contradict your next thought, that you do not understand God’s foreknowledge and thus are not on the same wavelength of intellect of God.
How is accepting the fact that God is all-knowing and foresees the future, but not completely understanding why He does the things He does being contradictory? Are you sure that is the right vocabulary you meant to use?
You went from not understanding why God can foreknow those who Jesus mentions did not believe and would betray Him, you don’t understand God at His level of understanding, to saying not completely understanding these things is what you meant to convey. But more to the point, in your supposed understanding was your false ripped out of context meaning. I pointed that out to you, and yet you still have not stood corrected by God’s own use of that verse you ripped.

You should be more careful with your thoughts and or communication of your thoughts.

You quoted me saying
Originally posted by 1Way and you would have known this if you only read a few more verses. God through John is saying that Jesus knew which of the 12 would betray him, and of course his betrayer would be unbelieving, so from the beginning (of God choosing the 12), Jesus knew who would not believe and betray Him. God supernaturally knows the heart of a man.

And then you said
So you're saying God just chose the 12 disciples? What about Abraham, Moses, Elijah, Job, David, Saul (Paul)? You see the trend here. God chooses His sheep, not sheep choosing Him.
No, I’m not saying that, God said that, I’m just repeating God’s message. You suggested that God knows whoever will or will not believe, like you said, with a pre-knowledge from the foundation of the world, God does not say that, present accumulated knowledge is all that is required for God to know about present occurring things.

Like I said, if you would have read just a little further, you would have seen that God was speaking about choosing the 12 and that one of them was unbelieving and would become His betrayer, that is God’s respective context for the verse you ripped out of context and used it in a way that was counter to the way God used it.

Also, I agree that God can do this present knowledge knowing anytime; of course God had not just learned how to supernaturally read the hearts of men when He choose the 12. The contention we are having is not, can God exercise supernatural knowledge and read the hearts of men, it is if His supernatural knowledge is as you said, a pre-knowledge such that the future is pre-known perfectly and exhaustively.

So again I ask you, have you stood corrected by God for taking His words out of context?

Next you quoted me saying
Originally posted by 1Way For example, God changes His mind because of man changing his mind, which is the reason for divine repentance. See Jer 18 1-10 the potter and the clay for God’s understanding about how errantly presumptuous you are to think that man does not alter God’s understanding, even unto repentance away from doing what He said He would do, and away from what He thought He would do.
and then you said
Do you not think God knew Israel would repent? When God was looking for Adam and Eve in the Garden, asking them "Why are you hiding?" do you think God didn't know why and where they were hiding? Of course He did. Or why presume the effect that actually happened - they were hiding indeed.
what this was all about, was not if God can and does have sufficient present knowledge, I never ever presented such a foolish notion, instead, that the truth of the matter be established, consider the true context in which these words came about. You originally said
By saying I can make a decision to change God's mind about my future in Heaven or Hell is limiting God. God doesn't change His mind. Those who come from the Armenian school of thought need to free their mind and embrace the fact that God's will preceded man's will.
So in response, I respectfully considered all this your points without violating your own contextual development, and said
For example, God changes His mind because of man changing his mind, which is the reason for divine repentance. See Jer 18 1-10 the potter and the clay for God’s understanding about how errantly presumptuous you are to think that man does not alter God’s understanding, even unto repentance away from doing what He said He would do, and away from what He thought He would do.
So, the point was not that I was arguing against all situations where God has sufficient present knowledge yet seeks to find out about man’s response despite that fact, I was responding to your ideas that God pre-knows everything, quote, “He learns NOTHING”. So with that in mindset as part of your contextual development, I went about showing how it is according to God’s word that God changes His mind because of man changing His mind, via divine repentance as a great example.

You quoted me saying
Originally posted by 1Way (3) Then by that claim alone, you void the plain meaning of Jer 18 1-10 and all examples of God repenting from what He said and thought He was going to do, but more importantly, you do so without replacing that meaning with some other meaning.
and then you said
You're taking this out of context my friend. And who does God repent too? And why? God repenting??? He must not be this perfect God we really think He is.
I did not say that God repents “to someone else” as if He lied or did something wrong, I said what I said, which is that God repents away from doing what He said and thought He would do. God teaches that, I’m just referencing God’s word on the matter.

As to divine perfection, no, God is the God of the bible whether it fits your errant manmade misconceptions of what God must do in order to be “perfect” or not. Fundamentally, you posit that for God to be perfect, He can not change, yet God never uses that as His standard for perfection. In fact, God changes in the most dramatic ways, including the incarnation. (The “incarnation” is in the bible, please read your bible for more.) Unless you’d like to deny the incarnation was a real true change in God namely that He “became” flesh and dwelt among us. Became is a change word. You can’t become something that you previously were not, and have that considered not a change. So, unless you’d like to deny that as being a change in God, then it is only obvious by one of the most core doctrines of all Christianity, that God changes in the most dramatic and godly of ways.

As to you saying that all I’ve done is provided opinions, I disagree, I referenced Jer 18 1-10 as being a valid prophetic teaching that can and does become fulfilled, I referenced the biblical teaching of not voiding scripture of meaning, it always returns not void, and that you should not “make of no effect” = void of meaning, the commandments of God via manmade tradition, Mat 15 and Mark 7. If you deny the meaning of any scripture, you must replace it with the correct biblical meaning. For example, we read in the NT when God says to hate your parents and your self in order to be Jesus’ disciple, we say, no, that does not literally mean to hate one another to become a disciple of Christ, it is an idiomatic figure of speech, the first use is in Gen 29:30-31 and it means to love less than another, or to prefer less than another, it does not mean to hate someone.

So if you are going to void all the divine repentance passages, like 2 dozen of them, and especially Jer 18 where God establishes His right to do so, then you must deal uprightly with all these passages and replace the correct meaning. However, like I said, you will not be able to do that since the bible does not provide the alternate understanding, you would have to go to folks like Plato and Aristotle who taught God’s immutability and thus He can not learn any new thing, He can not change His mind etc.

Since you missed it the first time, I guess you’re a bit shy about dealing with God’s word where it contradicts your human presuppositions, so, I will kindly grace you with His word right here and now. Careful, sit down, brace yourself! :eek:
  • (Jer 18:1-10 NKJV)

The Potter and the clay

The Vision, figurative speech

“1 The word which came to Jeremiah from the
    LORD, saying: 2 "Arise and go down to the
    potter’s house, and there I will cause you to
    hear My words." 3 Then I went down to the
    potter’s house, and there he was, making
    something at the wheel. 4 And the vessel that
    he made of clay was marred in the hand of the
    potter; so he made it again into another vessel,
    as it seemed good to the potter to make.

God’s explanation of the vision, literal application

5 Then the word of the LORD came to me,
    saying: 6 "O house of Israel, can I not do with
    you as this potter?" says the LORD. "Look,
    as the clay is in the potter’s hand, so are you
    in My hand
    , O house of Israel!

The general principle of divine repentance, literal
    didactic truism

7 "The instant I speak concerning a nation
    and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up,
    to pull down, and to destroy it,
    8 "if that nation against whom I have spoken
    turns from its evil,
    (then) I will *relent of the disaster
    that I thought to bring upon it.

9 "And the instant I speak concerning
    a nation and concerning a kingdom,
    to build and to plant it,
    10 "if it does evil in My sight
    so that it does not obey My voice,
    then I will *relent concerning the good
    with which I said I would benefit it.

* nacham = Strongs #5162 = repent

“(then)” supplied in verse 8 for emphasis on
    the “if then” conditional arrangement.
But the Bible is crystal clear, that God responded to what man did, and that was why God had to make another vessel, Israel did not conform to God’s will and plans to make her into an honorable vessel, so He had to make her fit as a vessel for dishonor. The Potter responds after man responds to God and His response is formed in accordance to man’s response. It is synergism personified.

There, now you have no excuses by saying that I have only presented my own opinions, I had presented God’s teachings, and I again reference them. Don’t violate the context, instead, establish the truth of the matter, understand the figures of speech, don’t void nor contradict the meaning of scripture, first use principle, God repents away from doing that which He said and thought He would do, the incarnation, my post, every point is presented by way of biblical references and teachings.

Last edited:

1Way

Zman - smaller - Swordsman - Stop playing the “personal generalization” game, if we always attacked each other with personal generalizations then we'd all sink in a world of subjectivism and personal opinion. Establishing the truth of a matter is what counts, every man a liar but God be true.

Also, if you have Christian caring for me, like when I present my views from God's word, instead of saying that I don't, I present my own invented ideas, you should rather affirm me for resting my faith in God and His word.

Just a kind word for our mutual edification. It should be fun and joyful to share our understandings from God’s word, and if I have been a cause to do otherwise, I am sorry for so doing.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Ahem, that would be establishing the truth of a matter ONLY IN YOUR 1way.

I believe this is the GENERAL OBJECTION.

You see NO ONE really believes you have ABSOLUTE DETERMINATIONs upon God, as much as you are deceived into thinking you do.

That is the "essence" of what MANY repeatedly point out to you.

In short YOU are not the DEFINITIVE of either GOD or HIS WORD.

1Way

smaller - And for the millionth time, same back at you. Your opinion is no more valid than mine, so lets stop lifting up and focusing on the subjective, and work towards the objective, which is God's word.

Swordsman

IWay. Thanks for that eloquent reply. I do respect your views, and have heard most of them over the past few years as I have researched and participated in forums discussing the doctrine of grace. So, seriously, thank you for your answers. Believe me when I say, I'm not the type that claims to know all the truth. I am still being molded by my Heavenly Father, and know that one day, the ultimate truth will come to pass.

But you know what, then there will be better things to occupy our time than TOL. :)

1Way

Swordsman - :thumb:

I tend to think of it in a more valuable sense, “redeeming” the time, not just occupying, our time here is no less important than it will be there. In fact, once we get there, we will only wish we had done better here. Here here. :)

So what about our discussion? If you reject that God repents, then what replacement concept would you submit for the Potter and the clay teaching of divine repentance?

You must understand, that this question has been asked to the best of the closed theist camp, and to my knowledge, no reasonable answer has been given. The only reasonable answer I have come to understand about this passage, is that God actually can and does repent from what he said and thought He would do.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 1Way

So in godrulz’ errant understanding, although God would indicate that Adam did not need to do anything to be saved, and that throughout time, God changed the requirements of faith for salvation, if we go by the common idea instead, that it's always been by faith alone, it's always been just one single gospel message, then maybe today we don't need to be saved if you just don't eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the garden of Eden. Or, perhaps the gospel of Jesus Christ and us in Him, since Paul's version was never before revealed, according to folks like godrulz, we have same gospel as any other time, no dispensational changes.

:nono:

You misunderstand my beliefs. Obviously Adam did not believe in the death and resurrection of Christ since it had not happened yet. Faith and obedience have always been a condition of salvation. I also acknowledge some areas of dispensationalism. There is a difference between Adam and the Jews/Gentiles that were contemporaries of Christ and the early church. I disagree with some of your ideas, but do not believe there are not some differences in shadows (OT) and reality/fulfillment (NT).

Swordsman

Originally posted by 1Way So what about our discussion? If you reject that God repents, then what replacement concept would you submit for the Potter and the clay teaching of divine repentance?

You must understand, that this question has been asked to the best of the closed theist camp, and to my knowledge, no reasonable answer has been given. The only reasonable answer I have come to understand about this passage, is that God actually can and does repent from what he said and thought He would do.

I recall the passage in Numbers 23:19-20:

God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? I have received a command to bless;
he has blessed, and I cannot change it.

This is God giving a message through Balaam.

Now back to your point you made with Jeremiah 18. I truly believe that God knew whether or not the nation would repent, therefore, fully knowing His intention when they did repent. I'm not saying He is not a God of mercy, love, and compassion. I am saying His will or purpose will not take a back seat to anything or anyone. Maybe we need to discuss the meaning of the word "repent."

In the context you are giving, it looks as if it means God is changing His mind. Give me your thoughts.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Numbers means that God does not change His mind in a fickle, capricious way. It does not mean that the personal God who thinks with His intellect cannot literally change His mind. It deals with the constance of God's character, not the content of His changing experiences and thoughts (sequence, succession vs 'eternal now/absolutely immutable in every sense= Greek philosophy vs biblical). cf. I Sam. 15:29 "...does not lie or change His mind..."

Genesis 6 and other passages like Jonah/Hezekiah clearly show that God can and does change his mind and relent/'repent'. He is dynamic and responsive, not static and unmovable. His character and attributes do not change, but His experiences and relationships do if He is in fact personal.

Z Man

Does God Repent?

Does God Repent?

The Dilemma

To the Biblical teaching regarding the immutability of God, it is often countered, "What about the verses in the bible that speak of God's repentance?" Those asking the question often cite verses such as Genesis 6:6-7, Exodus 32:14, Judges 2:18, 1 Samuel 15:11, Isaiah 38:1-6, or Jonah 3:10. What is to be said for or against these claims? How can these verses be reasonably reconciled with the immutability of God taught in the rest of the scriptures?

The Passages Examined

In all of the above passages, except Isa. 38:1-6, the Hebrew word, nacham, is explicitly used. The only major bible translation that translates this word "repent," is the KJV. Each of the other translations choose the alternate meaning conveyed, "was sorry" or "relented," indicating a feeling of regret on God's part rather than a total retreat of purpose or about face (the Hebrew shuwb has the latter strict translation when speaking of repentance). This is a significant point in that the context must govern the translation of a word with alternate meanings.

The chief tension then is the stark contrast of God's immediately expressed emotion with the already and clearly established doctrine of God's immutability. If God is immutable, it is argued, then why would He express sorrow at something He allowed to happen and change His actions. In some cases (Isa. 38:1-6; Jonah 3:10), individuals will even call into question the prophetic qualifications of a prophet who changes a prior prophecy.

It is critical to remember, that the immutability of God does NOT hold that God reacts the same in all situations. It teaches, instead, that God is unchanging in His being, character, purposes, and promises. There can be no doubt that God foreknew all of the situations in the above passages from before all time, purposed them, and even knew their outcome. Yet, the beauty of God is that He is also a personal Being, who interacts with His creation and reveals Himself to man. Therefore, as God relates with man, each moment in time may involve a different IMMEDIATE expression of His Being, whether it be wrath, anger, patience, love, or forgiveness. Rather than construe the above passages to mean that God's eternal purposes had changed, it should be recognized that a personal and compassionate God had entered into history and engaged His people with feeling and emotion.

God's immutability is maintained throughout the Old Testament by use of the same word, nacham, to clearly state (even in the same book and chapter as one of the above passages) that God is not like a man, who should lie, repent, or change (Nu. 23:19; 1 Sam. 15:29; Ps. 110:4; Jer. 4:28; Ezek 24:14). Rather than assume that these authors had never read one another (which is impossible in the case of Samuel, who wrote both 1 Sam 15:11 and 15:22) and mistakenly contradicted each other, it is more reasonable to build an understanding that harmonizes the passages.

Reading through the contexts of each of the verses, it is clear that the eternal purposes of God are preserved and unaltered in every instance. The prophet Jeremiah well declared the permanent intent of God with His people:
The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. (Jer 18:7-10, emphasis added)
In other words, God reserves the right to change how He deals with any situation IF the people change how they follow after His ways. That is God's unchanging purpose with man. It is why Jonah was not a false prophet when He declared the destruction of Nineveh1, but was told later to recant the proclamation. God's purpose was to bring about repentance. Had Nineveh NOT repented and God spared the city, then Jonah could be declared to be a false prophet and God mutable. This, however, is not the case in Jonah 3 or any of the passages above. That repentance brings about forgiveness is one of the great solaces of the unchanging gospel of Christ. Without it, there is no gospel and a savior who died in vain.

Finally, a survey of the above passages and the immediate contexts will reveal that not only does the behavior of the people change and bring about an alternate disposition of God, but there is in many of the cases petition made before God by one of His people. In the case of Exodus 32, Moses pleads against God's judgment for His people by the promises of the covenant; in Judges 2, the groaning of the people under oppression is heard by God; in Isaiah 38, the prayer of Hezekiah is heard and answered by God. How beautiful it is, that God personally hears, is moved by, and answers the petitions of His people. It is somewhat paradoxical that God can hear a prayer and remain sovereign. Yes, it is a mystery, indeed. However, it poses no contradiction to God's immutability.

Conclusion

What "changed" in these verses is how God related and interacted with His people in different circumstances. (The doctrine of God's immutability does NOT hold that God reacts the same in every situation, but rather that His being, character, purposes, and promises are immutable.) It is the beauty of the unchanging gospel and purposes of God, that he should offer forgiveness (that second chance) after repentance to those that are His people. It is the beauty of the personal God, that after His people petition so fervently before Him, that God hears them and offers forgiveness to them. These actions of God are wholly consistent with His immutable purposes and promises (Jer. 18:7-10) that were willed from before all time and carried out in history. Indeed, God is not a man, that He should lie or change! Yet, He is personal and engaging and will react differently in specific situations.

Footnotes

1 Incidentally, the prophecy of Jonah against Nineveh (Jonah 3:4) does not pretend to be a complete transcript of all that Jonah said. It is very possible, in fact likely, that Jonah cried out with more than the words "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown," since most prophets preached judgement with a call to repentance. In fact the exact words of Jonah play a very minor role in the book of Jonah, as the focus is on God's call to repentance and the forgiveness that is conditioned thereon.

www.xtristian.org

Swordsman

Originally posted by godrulz Numbers means that God does not change His mind in a fickle, capricious way. It does not mean that the personal God who thinks with His intellect cannot literally change His mind.

That may be your interpretation of it. I think the King James Version does a pretty good job of spelling it out though. God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Why and how can that be taken out of context. There really is nothing to argue about here.

Originally posted by godrulz It deals with the constance of God's character, not the content of His changing experiences and thoughts (sequence, succession vs 'eternal now/absolutely immutable in every sense= Greek philosophy vs biblical). cf. I Sam. 15:29 "...does not lie or change His mind..."

Genesis 6 and other passages like Jonah/Hezekiah clearly show that God can and does change his mind and relent/'repent'. He is dynamic and responsive, not static and unmovable. His character and attributes do not change, but His experiences and relationships do if He is in fact personal.

Going to your Genesis 6 reference. He saw the earth without sin and knew it "was good". When sin was introduced, of course, he was sickened by it.

Its heresy to say God reacts to certain situations like man does and changes His mind to order to overcome evil doings. If you believe in God's indisputable sovereignty then you would believe that Do you not think that God had intentions for ridding the earth of sin beforehand? God worketh ALL things after the Counsel of HIS OWN will (Eph. 1:11) and not after the will of His creatures. Thanks to Adam, our sin was with us even before we were even born. So it is taken out of context to say its Biblical that God can change His mind.

1Way

The “closed view” is eliminated when you take God’s word seriously

The “closed view” is eliminated when you take God’s word seriously

Z Man – I do not usually enjoy responding to posts via third party references, especially if they replace you input, also, this website promotes exactly what I am saying to help facilitate one on one person to person dialogue. If I wanted to read what “someone else thinks”, I would not be discussing this with you but with them instead. Not a big deal though as some use of quotations from third parties may be appropriate upon occasion, but they should not predominate or substitute for your thoughts. In this case, you present no other thoughts, thus my remark is warranted.

I take your submission in a good natured way, please inform us of “your” thoughts on the matter at some point, do you agree fully with this post, is it your tentative view, are you suspect or open to alternative views, and of course, what do you think of my point counter-points. I will quote the entire post dispersed with footnotes to emphasize, demonstrate, and promote a mindset of not violating the wider context. This will make my post longer than usual, but I believe it will promote more direct point counterpoint clarity.

www.xtristian.org said
Originally posted by Z Man

The Dilemma

(1) To the Biblical teaching regarding the immutability of God, it is often countered, "What about the verses in the bible that speak of God's repentance?" Those asking the question often cite verses such as Genesis 6:6-7, Exodus 32:14, Judges 2:18, 1 Samuel 15:11, Isaiah 38:1-6, or Jonah 3:10. What is to be said for or against these claims? How can these verses be reasonably reconciled with the immutability of God taught in the rest of the scriptures?

The Passages Examined

(2) In all of the above passages, except Isa. 38:1-6, the Hebrew word, nacham, is explicitly used. The only major bible translation that translates this word "repent," is the KJV. Each of the other translations choose the alternate meaning conveyed, "was sorry" or "relented," indicating a feeling of regret on God's part rather than a total retreat of purpose or about face (the Hebrew shuwb has the latter strict translation when speaking of repentance). This is a significant point in that the context must govern the translation of a word with alternate meanings.

(3) The chief tension then is the stark contrast of God's immediately expressed emotion with the already and clearly established doctrine of God's immutability. If God is immutable, it is argued, then why would He express sorrow at something He allowed to happen and change His actions. In some cases (Isa. 38:1-6; Jonah 3:10), individuals will even call into question the prophetic qualifications of a prophet who changes a prior prophecy.

(4) It is critical to remember, that the immutability of God does NOT hold that God reacts the same in all situations. It teaches, instead, that God is unchanging in His being, character, purposes, and promises. There can be no doubt that God foreknew all of the situations in the above passages from before all time, purposed them, and even knew their outcome. Yet, the beauty of God is that He is also a personal Being, who interacts with His creation and reveals Himself to man. Therefore, as God relates with man, each moment in time may involve a different IMMEDIATE expression of His Being, whether it be wrath, anger, patience, love, or forgiveness. Rather than construe the above passages to mean that God's eternal purposes had changed, it should be recognized that a personal and compassionate God had entered into history and engaged His people with feeling and emotion. (5) God's immutability is maintained throughout the Old Testament by use of the same word, nacham, to clearly state (even in the same book and chapter as one of the above passages) that God is not like a man, who should lie, repent, or change (Nu. 23:19; 1 Sam. 15:29; Ps. 110:4; Jer. 4:28; Ezek 24:14). Rather than assume that these authors had never read one another (which is impossible in the case of Samuel, who wrote both 1 Sam 15:11 and 15:22) and mistakenly contradicted each other, it is more reasonable to build an understanding that harmonizes the passages.

Reading through the contexts of each of the verses, it is clear that the eternal purposes of God are preserved and unaltered in every instance.

(6) The prophet Jeremiah well declared the permanent intent of God with His people:
The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. (Jer 18:7-10, emphasis added) (7) In other words, God reserves the right to change how He deals with any situation IF the people change how they follow after His ways. That is God's unchanging purpose with man. (8) It is why Jonah was not a false prophet when He declared the destruction of Nineveh1, but was told later to recant the proclamation. (9) God's purpose was to bring about repentance. (10) Had Nineveh NOT repented and God spared the city, then Jonah could be declared to be a false prophet and God mutable. This, however, is not the case in Jonah 3 or any of the passages above. That repentance brings about forgiveness is one of the great solaces of the unchanging gospel of Christ. Without it, there is no gospel and a savior who died in vain.

(11) Finally, a survey of the above passages and the immediate contexts will reveal that not only does the behavior of the people change and bring about an alternate disposition of God, but there is in many of the cases petition made before God by one of His people. In the case of Exodus 32, Moses pleads against God's judgment for His people by the promises of the covenant; in Judges 2, the groaning of the people under oppression is heard by God; in Isaiah 38, the prayer of Hezekiah is heard and answered by God. How beautiful it is, that God personally hears, is moved by, and answers the petitions of His people. It is somewhat paradoxical that God can hear a prayer and remain sovereign. Yes, it is a mystery, indeed. However, it poses no contradiction to God's immutability.

Conclusion

What "changed" in these verses is how God related and interacted with His people in different circumstances. (The doctrine of God's immutability does NOT hold that God reacts the same in every situation, but rather that His being, character, purposes, and promises are immutable.) It is the beauty of the unchanging gospel and purposes of God, that he should offer forgiveness (that second chance) after repentance to those that are His people. It is the beauty of the personal God, that after His people petition so fervently before Him, that God hears them and offers forgiveness to them. These actions of God are wholly consistent with His immutable purposes and promises (Jer. 18:7-10) that were willed from before all time and carried out in history. Indeed, God is not a man, that He should lie or change! Yet, He is personal and engaging and will react differently in specific situations.

Footnotes

(12) 1 Incidentally, the prophecy of Jonah against Nineveh (Jonah 3:4) does not pretend to be a complete transcript of all that Jonah said. It is very possible, in fact likely, that Jonah cried out with more than the words "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown," since most prophets preached judgement with a call to repentance. In fact the exact words of Jonah play a very minor role in the book of Jonah, as the focus is on God's call to repentance and the forgiveness that is conditioned thereon.

www.xtristian.org

(1) Obviously this is written with a biased view of what biblical immutability really is. Biblical immutability concerns God’s character and faithful ways, not that God can not change in any way. This again points to a problem of dealing with a third party communication; we are not having a mutual discussion of the context involved. God is shown to change in the most dramatic ways. Examine around the core of the gospel message itself, what happened as a result of the incarnation is absolutely central to Christianity, and the incarnation is a great example of God changing. God “became” flesh and dwelt among us. “Became” is a change word, it is impossible to undergo becoming something different, and at the same time, and in the same relationship, that not being a change. If God did not change when He became flesh, then perhaps He was always manifested in the flesh, but that makes no sense at all. God the son emptied Himself of the glory which He shared with the father, and then later on Earth He prayed to the Father to share His glory with Jesus as He had done in the past. That is a real change. Jesus humbled Himself to the point of death, that is a real change. God repenting from what He said and thought He would do, represents a change even in His thoughts and mind!

So since

we should never take any single teaching in contradiction to other teachings of the bible,

we know that one of the two must be understood differently. And to my understanding, the open view’s understanding of God’s unchanging ways is a far better fit to the entire word of God, than the closed view’s understanding of voiding all aspects of God’s word where it teaches and demonstrates God changing, even changing His spoken and unspoken mind via divine repentance. Frankly, I came to the open view by simply reading scripture and holding loosely to my presuppositions about Him existing outside of time and predestinating all individuals to heaven and hell prior to all time, etc.

I will only focus on Jer 18 1-10 especially 7-10 and Jonah 3:4&10 for the sake of brevity and clarity.

But before I move on, I’d like to make one thing perfectly clear. I am providing a godly reasonable explanation for both side’s texts of this debate, including the so called “problem” texts for my view. I believe I have no problem or proof texts, but then again, so does the other side. However, when you grant their view, and then you consider all the divine repentance teachings, they do not deal rightly with them at all. They violate them, and worse, they replace the meaning, with nothing. And that is in direct violation of what it means to rightly handle scripture. It’s ok to be ignorant about what some teaching in the bible means, ignorance is not the problem. The problem is when you say that you know that these repentance passages do not mean what they plainly say and teach. They even go so far as to say that they must not be taken literally, thus take figuratively, but, when asked to simple question, ok, if that is so, then what sort of figure is it, and what does the figure mean, they have no reasonable response! Especially in explaining what the figure means.

This wholesale voiding of scripture at the expense of protecting manmade presuppositions about God and His word is a grievous violence and should not be tolerated. Anyone saying that they know the right understanding of a text or passage, and then when asked what does that part of the text teach, what does this it mean, and they can’t tell you, such a thing represents one of the highest forms of self imposed delusion and fraud possible, it is intellectual suicide and makes a mockery of God and the Christian faith. Anyone knows that if you disagree with a literal meaning of a passage of text, then it is incumbent upon yourself to provide the reasonable explanation for what it instead means. God is wise, He knew what He said, and said what He meant.

(2) A word has no such power as to overturn it’s contextual use. Yes, the word nacham can and does mean to sigh, to be comforted, like the relief upon standing corrected or a wrong righted, and it can mean repent from doing what you said or thought you were going to do, changing your previous intended direction even unto a 180 degree turnaround. Nacham can mean all these things.

As to shuwb, strongs 7725, the authorized version translates it’s occurrences as follows

return 391,
... again 248,
turn 123,
... back 65,
... away 56,
restore 39,
bring 34,
render 19,
answer 18,
recompense 8,
recover 6,
deliver 5,
put 5,
withdraw 5,
requite 4,
misc 40;
total = 1066

So it is hardly true that this word necessarily means repentance as compared to nacham. What if the teaching uses NEITHER of these words yet still describes an act of repentance? Such as,

On second thought, I said that I would do X, but now that things have changed, I will do Y instead.

“Second” does not mean repent, “thought” does not mean repent, “changed” does not mean repent, “instead” does not mean repent! In fact, no repentance word is remotely necessary in order to demonstrate or communicate repentance! If I am loving, does not mean that I must use the word love in conveying that love? No way. The contextual meaning is the highest order of meaning, not word definitions. Words are subjugated to their use in phrases and longer more definitive types of communication, like sentences and paragraphs.

(3) Not clearly expressed by God. The clearest expression of the classic idea of God’s immutability which this writer is referring to (that He does not change in any way), is most clearly taught from pagan and Greek philosophy and myth. For a historical rabbit trail from the ancient Greek philosophers on divine immutability and how that was accepted by earlier Christian thinkers, see John Sanders contribution to “The openness of God” in chapter 2, historical Considerations, page 59–100, where he does an amazing job of objectively dealing with the historical facts involved, exposing the indelible link between the pagans and the Christians concerning the closed view. The major thematic headings include:

Greek philosophical conceptions of God,
Plato,
Aristotle,
The Stoics,
Philo: The bridge from the Greeks to the Christians,
The Church Fathers’ appropriation of the philosophical God,
The Arian controversy,
Augustine,
The middle ages,
The reformation era,
Progressive views of God,
Conservative protestant views of God,
Moderate views of God,
Concluding reflections.

It is a great read, very understandable, only a few short pages per issue, and very compelling and for many, very shocking information. I met John Sanders personally, he is a great teacher and very interesting person. So, when closed theists promote divine immutability, they are far more closely quoting Plato and Aristole and repeating their support argumentation, than they are quoting and arguing how God does not change from scripture.

(4) This is not accurately stated, and the second sentence is almost exactly what the Open view holds, especially when you consider that God’s word does not need a promise of fulfillment in order to be trustworthy, yet in Jer 18 the Potter and the clay, God teaches His unalterable right to repent from doing what He said and thought He would do. The irony of this fact, is that the closed theist says no God, you can not repent from doing what you said and thought You would do, so they allow for most of God’s word to be unchangingly true, but they reject God’s word about divine repentance saying that it can not be true, it can not happen. Ask a closed theist to list all the prophecies in God’s word that God said He did not do them, they did not come to pass, and they are completely stumped and dumbfounded. There are others, but I will focus on Jonah 3:10 as it is so concise and simple to understand, whenever he gets around to dealing with it.

Next he says
that there can be no doubt God foreknew all of the situations in the above passages from before all time, purposed them, and even knew their outcome. Yet, the beauty of God is that He is also a personal Being, who interacts with His creation and reveals Himself to man.
This is wrong on so many levels. There most certainly is doubt that God foreknew all those situations from before all time, in a number of ways. First, the passage (Jonah 3:4&10) teaches that God changed His mind and did not do what He said He would do, “God’s word says” that He did not do it (meaning He did not do His spoken prophesied destruction of Nineveh). So by trusting in God’s word (imagine that), I believe that He did not foreknow from before all time what would happen. God’s word demonstrates that He did not. Secondly, and not any less importantly, the writer brazenly asserts a time which was “before all time”, which is wrong on at least 2 counts. First, it is a logical fallacy to speak of the idea of “before” “all time”. Time is experienced through the steady logical succession of events ordered one after the other, so such terms as “before” or “since” or “from” when relating to time sequencing, are time sequencing ideas, they show an order of progression, which is an aspect of time. So the idea of God’s knowledge “proceeding” “before” “all time”, is in itself a time idea, thus violating the all time concept.

Secondly, scripture does not teach the creation of time. In fact, it teaches more like the opposite. God’s names are typically concerning some truth about Him, He does not normally go by names/titles/truisms that would contradict His character and nature and ways, yet, He is called the ancient of days, and the living God, and He who is and was and is to come, from everlasting to everlasting, etc. God teaches us to NOT worship or pay too much honor to His creation, worship Him, not His creation, yet we worship our God who is the “ancient of days”, “the living God”, etc. so these ideas of God being the “ancient of days” and “the living God” identity us with something that reflects His nature accurately.

Also, no where in the scriptures is the idea taught that God created time, or that God exists outside of time. There is time in heaven, numerous examples of this in the book of the Revelation.

Lastly, don’t rely upon a subjective issue of whether or not God is expressing emotion or not in order to argue against God changing and not foreknowing the entire future. God getting upset or comforted is a tangent issue if God actually reverses what He said and thought He would do, then plainly God changes His mind, God repents.

(5) True but only according to the biblical definition of divine unchangingness, not the classical version of divine immutability. Of special note, I saw no use of the words “not change” in the NKJV for all those examples. It seems the author overstepped his standing on this issue as well. In the Sam passage, God most clearly expresses how it is that He does not repent, and how it is that He does repent, both! God does not repent like a man needs to because of lying or doing wrong, it’s not that He does wrong and then needs to repent. It is because God learned of the new changed situation that God repents.

This may be a reflection upon a classic Hebrew language tool, parallelism. Back then, when they rhymed, they did not repeat for similar sound, they repeated a similar idea. Consider the following and see if you can catch the brilliance of such parallelism.
Pr 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him.
Pr26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes.
See how the same wording/idea repeated, while changing it’s contextual use illustrates yet another idea that neither the one or the other could convey without them both being set in contrast to each other. There are two basic ways to answer a fool, one is according to his folly, and the other is according to his folly. :think: You the reader must discern the unspoken implied meaning of each. Absolutely brilliant. Consider, Pharaoh (first) hardened his heart, and God hardened his heart with the many miraculous plagues defying Pharaoh’s power hungry control and defiance against God. If Pharaoh would have repented and obeyed God, then God would have been glorified, so God did not force Pharaoh to be evil, He has no problem stating things in such a way as to make you use righteous understanding about what God is talking about.

Ok, so here’s a case that might be using an extended form of parallelism, but not nearly as pointed and clear as compared to the fool and his folly passage.
1Sa 15:11 It repenteth <05162> me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night.
1Sa 15:29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent <05162>: for he is not a man, that he should repent <05162>.
1Sa 15:35 And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented <05162> that he had made Saul king over Israel. (KJV)
Same word used of God repenting three times in this passage, all within the space of just 20 verses. Two showing going doing nacham, and one showing He will not do nacham. Very interesting, so that does not settle anything, lets look at the contextual development over what God is said to be nachaming about.
“8 He also took Agag king of the Amalekites alive, and utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword. 9 But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep, the oxen, the fatlings, the lambs, and all that was good, and were unwilling to utterly destroy them. But everything despised and worthless, that they utterly destroyed.”

“10 Now the word of the LORD came to Samuel, saying, 11 "I greatly regret <05162> that I have set up Saul as king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the LORD all night. 12 So when Samuel rose early in the morning to meet Saul, it was told Samuel, saying, "Saul went to Carmel, and indeed, he set up a monument for himself; and he has gone on around, passed by, and gone down to Gilgal." 13 Then Samuel went to Saul, and Saul said to him, "Blessed are you of the LORD! I have performed the commandment of the LORD." 14 But Samuel said, "What then is this bleating of the sheep in my ears, and the lowing of the oxen which I hear?" 15 And Saul said, "They have brought them from the Amalekites; for the people spared the best of the sheep and the oxen, to sacrifice to the LORD your God; and the rest we have utterly destroyed." 16 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Be quiet! And I will tell you what the LORD said to me last night." And he said to him, "Speak on." 17 So Samuel said, "When you were little in your own eyes, were you not head of the tribes of Israel? And did not the LORD anoint you king over Israel? 18 "Now the LORD sent you on a mission, and said, ‘Go, and utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against them until they are consumed.’ 19 "Why then did you not obey the voice of the LORD? Why did you swoop down on the spoil, and do evil in the sight of the LORD?" 20 And Saul said to Samuel, "But I have obeyed the voice of the LORD, and gone on the mission on which the LORD sent me, and brought back Agag king of Amalek; I have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. 21 "But the people took of the plunder, sheep and oxen, the best of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice to the LORD your God in Gilgal." 22 Then Samuel said: "Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."”

“24 Then Saul said to Samuel, "I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. 25 "Now therefore, please pardon my sin, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD." 26 But Samuel said to Saul, "I will not return with you, for you have rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel." 27 And as Samuel turned around to go away, Saul seized the edge of his robe, and it tore. 28 So Samuel said to him, "The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today, and has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you. 29 "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. <05162> For He is not a man, that He should relent." 30 Then he said, "I have sinned; yet honor me now, please, before the elders of my people and before Israel, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD your God." 31 So Samuel turned back after Saul, and Saul worshiped the LORD.”

“32 Then Samuel said, "Bring Agag king of the Amalekites here to me." So Agag came to him cautiously. And Agag said, "Surely the bitterness of death is past." 33 But Samuel said, "As your sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women." And Samuel hacked Agag in pieces before the LORD in Gilgal. 34 Then Samuel went to Ramah, and Saul went up to his house at Gibeah of Saul. 35 And Samuel went no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul, and the LORD regretted <05162> that He had made Saul king over Israel.” (1Sa 15:8-35 NKJV)
See, God was not just sorry that He made Saul king, God made him king, and then God nacham’ed against His doing so and took the kingship away from Saul. God reversed His decision to have Saul as King.

Sorry, I repented from doing what I said I would do. I went against my word to only focus on Jonah, and this is primarily why, the context is that important to develop, but it takes up so much more space to cover, please forgive this indulgence, but it serves wonderfully to promote righteous bible understanding when you don’t violate the context. That the truth may set you free. But oh what a long post this will be. :eek:

The writer said
Rather than assume that these authors had never read one another (which is impossible in the case of Samuel, who wrote both 1 Sam 15:11 and 15:22) and mistakenly contradicted each other, it is more reasonable to build an understanding that harmonizes the passages.
That is a tremendous falsification. But to the point, what is he talking about in verse 22? I think he might mean 23 instead, but I’m not sure. :think:
1Sa 15:11 "I greatly regret that I have set up Saul [as] king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the LORD all night.

1Sa 15:22 Then Samuel said: "Has the LORD [as great] delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, [And] to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."

1Sa 15:29 "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. For He [is] not a man, that He should relent."
Such a comparison shows no contradiction, let alone a problem with Open theism and divine repentance. If he meant verse 29, then that is also not a contradiction. These separate verses show God saying how He does and does not repent. He repents like this, but not like that. Total harmonization without voiding scripture of any meaning.

(6) What emphasis added? But bravo for quoting God for His teaching on this issue. Perhaps the most accurate truth presentation he made.

(7) This is misleading and vague, because I would say the exact same thing concerning the open view, we must continue on to see what this writer is trying to convey.

(8) Totally wrong. The reason why Jonah is not considered a false prophet, is because He spoke the word of God faithfully and true. The record that we have in God’s word is faithful and true, God said that He did not bring the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it. God explained that it was within God and because of the change from Nineveh that He changed, and the truthfulness of Jonah was what kept Jonah from being a false prophet, not something else. Yet still the writer’s development so far is not far from what any open theist would say happened. We must read on to understand where this writer is coming from and means to convey.

(9) And here we find the whole issue, the writer is “trying” to pass off a transposition of concepts. He is switching

God’s eternal plans and desire for men to repent, i.e. God is redemptive and merciful to all who love and obey Him, and opposes those who do not.
(God is the same, He learns nothing)

With God not doing what He said He would do.
(God responds to what He learns, He changes His mind.)

Both are divine truths, but the two are not the same issue. We are concerned about the question of God preknowing the entire future or not, not if God’s character is faithful and true. We must focus on the mind of God, whether or not He changes His mind and does not do what He said He would do, and that is exactly the case in point!

(10) Here the writer lets it all hang out as gross and wrong as could be. If a prophet speaks the truth and doesn’t speak presumptuously, and God follows through with the prophesy that He truly said He would do, that is no reason to judge against the prophet no matter their repentance or not. The prophet is not held responsible for whatever changes take place after truthfully speaking for the Lord. So this claim is unfounded and contrary to scripture. As to God being impugned because of punishing a repentant people, that is a good point, yet again, this fully supports the open view, not argues against it. We accept a God who adjusts for “altering circumstances”, it is the closed view says that God makes no adjustments, it is all preknown and unalterable, God’s response is thus perfectly unalterable. So we see that the writer conveniently switches from examining what God said He would do and then did not do, to God’s eternal purpose and ways. The two are not the exact same issue, as though the only righteous presupposition is that God foreknows all things, thus for God to learn something new is completely unbibilical and does not even enter his contemplation during his explanation of the passage. Yet God be true and every man a liar, God did not do what He said He would do.

Lastly, I restate my challenge to all closed theists. Any time you void the passage of meaning, you MUST replace it with a reasonable meaning instead. Here the writer does no such thing. I’ll quote you verse 10 God’s version, and then I will quote you verse 10 the closed version.
[size=4.5]Jonah’s Nineveh prophesy[/size]
(God’s meaningful version)

Jon 3:10 Then God saw their works,
that they turned from their evil way;
and God relented from the disaster
that He had said He would bring upon them,
and He did not do it.
[size=4.5]Jonah’s Nineveh prophesy[/size]
(Man’s meaningless closed view version)

Jon 3:10 .. ? .. God .. ? .. their works,
..?.. they turned from their evil way;
and God ? ... ... ? ... ... the disaster
... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... upon them,
and He
...?...?...?.

More plainly, when you say

that God did not change His mind
implying that God did do what He said He would do,

then verse 10 is a meaningless contradiction to that idea. If the closed theist’s idea is true, that God never changes and always does what He says or thinks He will do, then what does verse 10 mean if it does not mean the exact opposite of that idea? :think:

The silence is deafening.

(11) This writer is using a ploy that is sometimes convincing but at it’s foundation is deceitful. He is taking on our arguments and phraseology and doing his best to make them work for him. Sometimes this is a good thing to do, especially if you do it properly. Here the writer presents direct contradiction to his own view. He says
not only does the behavior of the people change and bring about an alternate disposition of God, but there is in many of the cases petition made before God by one of His people.
He teaches that God has only ONE UNALTERABLE plan, only one unchanging will, so for God to have an “alternative” response to the one He already gave, is complete disharmony to everything he has been saying. And yet it is consistent that he is transposing God’s divine repentance away from doing what He said or thought He would do, with His unchanging eternal ways. God planned to destroy Nineveh, but then after they repented, God repented from bringing the destruction which he said He WOULD bring, and He did NOT do it. “God” said that He did not do what He said He would do. And He did that to remain faithful to His unchanging ways and righteousness and mercy, etc. The biblical doctrine of divine repentance is the right solution and refutes closed theism completely.

Somewhat paradoxical? God says after the fact, that He did not do what He said He would do, and this writer only see’s no change in God in that, no change in intentions, no change in what He said He would do, even thought God’s commentary on the Jonah prophesy was that He repented from bringing the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it. That is God’s word, it is meaningful and true, and this write did nothing but void that change in God’s intentions and replaced it with nothing.

When God said that He did not bring the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it, the writer is asking you forget all about that stuff, and just remember that God is merciful and gracious towards those who repent and honor God. He has addressed the teaching, but voided it of meaning, and replaced it with nothing. It is a disgrace.

(12) But what Jonah did say was scripturally correct, you can not invalidate the truth God decided to preserve in His word. Same with verse 10 which is God’s commentary on His own prophetic word which He repented from doing and is in my opinion a clear demonstration or fulfillment of Jer 18 the Potter and the clay where God reserves the right to repent of what He said and from what He THOUGHT He would do. God repenting, and not doing what He previously thought He would do, leaves precisely zero room for closed theism. It is anti-biblical, instead, the bible teaches plainly a living changing rationally mutable God who does indeed learn new things.

God’s word is true, don’t violate scripture. :thumb:

Last edited:

1Way

Swordsman – I ask you about your understanding of divine repentance especially concerning Jer 18, you mention about other passages and then just ask me to explain my thoughts. :think:

First, you are a proponent of closed theism (and at the same time you suggest you are not immutably closed view though I am not sure about that), and you plainly rejected the idea that God repents. The idea that you have no reasonable answer to God’s word that contradicts your ideas indicates to me that you have not given God’s word sufficient attention and understanding prior to making such a judgment.

Here is what I think about Num 23:19-20. I quickly and easily scanned the surrounding passage and found
Nu 23:11 Then Balak said to Balaam, "What have you done to me? I took you to curse my enemies, and look, you have blessed [them] bountifully!" 12 So he answered and said, "Must I not take heed to speak what the LORD has put in my mouth?" ... ...
... ...
20 Behold, I have received a command to bless; He has blessed, and I cannot reverse it.
21 "He has not observed iniquity in Jacob, Nor has He seen wickedness in Israel. The LORD his God is with him, And the shout of a King is among them.

25 Then Balak said to Balaam, "Neither curse them at all, nor bless them at all!"
26 So Balaam answered and said to Balak, "Did I not tell you, saying, ‘All that the LORD speaks, that I must do’?"
27 Then Balak said to Balaam, "Please come, I will take you to another place; perhaps it will please God that you may curse them for me from there."
28 So Balak took Balaam to the top of Peor, that overlooks the wasteland.
... ...
... ...
Nu 24:10 Then Balak’s anger was aroused against Balaam, and he struck his hands together; and Balak said to Balaam, "I called you to curse my enemies, and look, you have bountifully blessed [them] these three times! 11 "Now therefore, flee to your place. I said I would greatly honor you, but in fact, the LORD has kept you back from honor."
12 So Balaam said to Balak, "Did I not also speak to your messengers whom you sent to me, saying,
13 ‘If Balak were to give me his house full of silver and gold, I could not go beyond the word of the LORD, to do good or bad of my own will. What the LORD says, that I must speak’?
So, what we have with the verse you quoted
Nu 23:19 "God [is] not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? 20 Behold, I have received a command to bless; He has blessed, and I cannot reverse it.
is God’s prophet who was simply doing what God told him to do while being faced with a man who was wanting Balaam to do something else. Balaam was not saying that God can not repent from doing what He said or thought He would do, He is saying that God’s word stands, and by extention, same with all the divine repentance teachings. At the end, the conflict you speak of is most clearly spelled out, God’s prophet Balaam would not reverse God’s righteous words, he would not go beyond what God told him to do.

Now, I ask you again, do you stand corrected about the John passage, God was not teaching the sort of “unlearning” “all knowing” foreknowledge that you implied He was teaching, instead He was referring to the 12 and how one of them being an unbeliever would also betray him. (Please respond directly)

Secondly, what about all the divine repentance teachings in the bible? Do you for example, not allow Jer 18 as being able to become fulfilled? More than that, do you allow that passage to be true and not void of meaning? (Please respond directly) And if you continue to not have answers for these basic bible questions, then I suggest that you stop acting like you know such things as God never learning anything and foreknowing all things, clearly, you know no such thing with any biblical certainty.

Also, your thoughts over my long post would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Z Man

1Way,

Nice post. I know it took a lot of your time. I don't know where you manage to obtain all that free time!

Anyways, I wanna get to the point, plain and simple. God becoming man in no way changed who God is/was. God regreting, or repenting from His decisions never changed who God is/was. As for why God repents, I believe this part of the text I copied from xristian.org to be very true:

God reserves the right to change how He deals with any situation IF the people change how they follow after His ways. That is God's unchanging purpose with man. It is why Jonah was not a false prophet when He declared the destruction of Nineveh1, but was told later to recant the proclamation. God's purpose was to bring about repentance. Had Nineveh NOT repented and God spared the city, then Jonah could be declared to be a false prophet and God mutable. This, however, is not the case in Jonah 3 or any of the passages above. That repentance brings about forgiveness is one of the great solaces of the unchanging gospel of Christ. Without it, there is no gospel and a savior who died in vain.

If God does change, as you so believe, than we do not serve the same God that Moses, Abraham, David, Jesus, or the disciples served in their day. Heck, we don't even serve the same God we did yesterday, if He is a God who changes!

And another thing, just to ponder. Why would God need to change? What would He need to change to? Something better? Something least? If man thinks or does something in particular, God does not say, "Wow, that's a great idea! Why didn't I ever think of that! I think I'll use your great wisdom, man, and change My Holy Self to conform around your sinful, vile, disgusting evil will!" That's just ludicris, and that's not the God the bible portrays.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Open Theists would also reject the 'straw man' inaccurate view of the last paragraph. You merely show your lack of understanding of the Open View. God is omnicompetent in every sense.

The Open View is able to take passages dealing with God's change literally, whereas the traditional view must make them figurative anthropomorphisms without a reason to do so (except to maintain a pre-conceived theology).

1Way

objectivity, we need a full plate of objectivity over here

objectivity, we need a full plate of objectivity over here

Z Man – So for you and many like you, the incarnation was not a substantial change. However, the bible forcefully guards against such a false notion.
1Jo 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the [spirit] of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.
Of course, prior to God becoming flesh, He was not in the likeness of flesh. His prior likeness was of the spirit, not the flesh. So by your simple minimization of the substance of the incarnation, you approach a spirit of antichrist, and without a doubt you are approaching rejecting one of the core doctrines of the faith.

I know you do not reject the incarnation per say, but hear me out.

If you maintain that God does not change, then He could not have “become” God incarnate, He would have always had to have been God in the flesh, yet the bible teaching the opposite, that God is spirit, and then later became manifest in the flesh. That did not simply make God better, unless you consider His changes for the better as He completes His plan of salvation. It was not that God was wrong or not fully godly, it was that God exists in time like you and I, and changes in significant ways.

This is not puny errant human idea, the open view, this view comes directly from scripture. Frankly, if you dogmatically deny any change in God, then you deny the fact of the incarnation, and such a thing is surely antichristian. God is a God who underwent the change of becoming incarnate in our flesh, that teaching is as real and true as God being the only true God.

You said
And another thing, just to ponder. Why would God need to change? What would He need to change to? Something better? Something least? If man thinks or does something in particular, God does not say, "Wow, that's a great idea! Why didn't I ever think of that! I think I'll use your great wisdom, man, and change My Holy Self to conform around your sinful, vile, disgusting evil will!" That's just ludicrous, and that's not the God the bible portrays.
You represent a steadfast paradigm that you seem unwilling to deviate from despite all the scripture put before you. You automatically presume a thought paradigm where God can not change, He exists outside of time, He knows all things including the future such that He never learns anything, etc. etc. yet God’s word demonstrates that He does not know all things without exception.

This change in God is not about helping God become a better God, it’s about Him remaining good. If you can objectively stop presuming the closed view paradigm, just long enough to evaluate the open view from the open view way of thinking, then perhaps you would not have these questions which only the closed view people seem to have.

From where I come from, this discipline of objectively seeking the truth, is called being objective and intellectually honest with our presuppositions. You will not like what I’m about to say, but it’s for your own good. ;)

Pretend that you are an open theist!

... ... ... ...

wow, you look so different, was that really so hard?

Now, while not violating the open view’s basic core beliefs, see? See how your questions and problems do not even apply?

As to me having so much time, I know. I lost my job about a month ago, and I’ve happily been stuck to this computer since. My back is still troubling me though, so catching up on my physical labors is to be put off for a while. I had planned for this time off for some time now, only the last run I was doing for my company, I had a bad wreck, and I helped clean up the accident site in terrible weather right when my back was hurting the most, and my back is still giving me fits from all that.

I’m not sure why you even try arguing about the open view, you do not even understand it, you do not consider it’s presuppositions prior to addressing it. If you never rightly understand where we are coming from, then all your comments will eventually miss the mark.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
It is an old, refuted argument from church history (?Anselm, Augustine, Plato? Philo? or someone like that) that God is perfect so any change is for the better or worse. The incarnation is an example of change that does not affect God's perfection. Likewise, a clock's hands change to keep accurate time. It would be a bad clock if it did not change!
God is personal and experiences will, intellect, and emotions in succession/sequence. This does not make Him less perfect except in a fallacious narrow Greek philosophy's understanding. Creation was a change in the universe that does not negate God's perfection. Conditional prophecies uphold God's justice and mercy and are a change in divine intention without compromising His character of attributes. The problem is a wrong definition of immutable and perfection, not the literal reading of Scripture.

Last edited:

1Way

Godrulz – Great point about the clock. Although the clock is a very static machine, still it works quite well.
Likewise, a clock's hands change to keep accurate time. It would be a bad clock if it did not change!
And at the same “time” (pun intended) we can say that the clock’s steady consistent (unchanging) movement, is what makes it’s valuable righteousness so good. So in one great example, you have change and unchanging as a good thing. Just like in God.

I’m not sure if this is what you were referring to, but Plato and/or(?) Aristotle argued that any change from perfection would be a change towards imperfection, thus God does not change. They confused the biblical model for godliness which is more like righteousness and love and wisdom and power raised to the God level, with the pagan model of godly perfection which was immutability.

Z Man

Your arrogance is annoying...

Your arrogance is annoying...

Originally posted by 1Way

Z Man – So for you and many like you, the incarnation was not a substantial change. However, the bible forcefully guards against such a false notion. Of course, prior to God becoming flesh, He was not in the likeness of flesh. His prior likeness was of the spirit, not the flesh. So by your simple minimization of the substance of the incarnation, you approach a spirit of antichrist, and without a doubt you are approaching rejecting one of the core doctrines of the faith.

I know you do not reject the incarnation per say, but hear me out.

If you maintain that God does not change, then He could not have “become” God incarnate, He would have always had to have been God in the flesh, yet the bible teaching the opposite, that God is spirit, and then later became manifest in the flesh. That did not simply make God better, unless you consider His changes for the better as He completes His plan of salvation. It was not that God was wrong or not fully godly, it was that God exists in time like you and I, and changes in significant ways.

This is not puny errant human idea, the open view, this view comes directly from scripture. Frankly, if you dogmatically deny any change in God, then you deny the fact of the incarnation, and such a thing is surely antichristian. God is a God who underwent the change of becoming incarnate in our flesh, that teaching is as real and true as God being the only true God.
Ummmm... you missed something that I said earlier, obviously. Let me re-post it again, just in cased you missed it by "accident":

God becoming man in no way changed who God is/was.

Can you grasp that simple concept? If not, are you suggesting that Christ was not God; that God and Jesus were different? I know in terms of physicalities, they were. But spiritually, and in character, God and Jesus were the same. C'mon 1Way, you knew that! Don't pull a "I didn't know" on me... :p
You said You represent a steadfast paradigm that you seem unwilling to deviate from despite all the scripture put before you. You automatically presume a thought paradigm where God can not change, He exists outside of time, He knows all things including the future such that He never learns anything, etc. etc. yet God’s word demonstrates that He does not know all things without exception.

This change in God is not about helping God become a better God, it’s about Him remaining good.
Remaining good??? Have you gone mad?! What the heck does that mean? As if God is refraining from doing evil....

:darwinsm:

No way.. that's not what you believe, is it 1 Way? If so, you've got more problems than I had originally imagined... :shocked:

God is not some friend you hang out with after school. He's not some dude that you chill with; who has no clue about anything. I hate the way you guys constrict God into a little human box. You limit Him to the inaptabilities of humanity. It's like, you won't let God go beyond what your little, puny, miniscule mind can contain. God far surpasses our wisdom; He is Sovereign. My will is evil continually, and even my righteousness is like filthy rags before the Almighty God. He does not conform, or change His ways or character based on me or my will. That would be blasphemy. I do not control God, but rather, He controls me.

Humble thyself before the Sovereign God 1Way. You'll be a happier man if you do!
Pretend that you are an open theist!
It's a sin to believe in false doctrines.
I’m not sure why you even try arguing about the open view, you do not even understand it, you do not consider it’s presuppositions prior to addressing it. If you never rightly understand where we are coming from, then all your comments will eventually miss the mark.
NEWSFLASH! I've only believed in what I believe now for the past 4 years. Before that, I would have agreed with your wicked, false doctrines. Thank God He has freed my mind from such poisinous teachings!

:thumb:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God's wisdom and knowledge is infinite. The Open View does not denigrate God's perfections, awesomeness, and greatness. He is not limited or reduced to the level of man. Some see the Open View as leading to a finite god. This is simply a lack of understanding of what Open Theism affirms. Baptist professor/pastor Dr. Gregory Boyd defended Open Theism cogently among his denomination that rejected the view. He affirmed all the omni...traits of God. He is omnicompetent, so please do not wrongly accuse us of believing God is not much greater than us. The Creator and creature are vastly different in the perfections of their qualities.