Did Paul teach obedience?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Paul taught that we are not justified by works, the works of the Law, but by faith.

Is it also true that Paul taught obedience?

Be specific.

Obedience to what?

I posted the above without having read the thread. It's good to see I wasn't the only one to see through the vale on this loaded question.

Jacob, why don't you just admit that you're a legalist? You're a Jew and you want us all to act like Jews. Why are you afraid to just say it?

musterion

I believe Paul kept the Law and wanted Gentiles to obey God in faith.

Obey God in faith how? Gentiles didn't have the code of Law; they may or may not have known what it is but it was never given TO them. At best they had conscience and creation as witnesses -- not enough to save, only to convict.

So like Clete asks, what exactly were they expected to obey in faith?

Or do you even know?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Dat's what I wanna know.
We should obey God's commands. They are found in the Bible.

Do you believe Paul called both Jews and Gentiles to obey God?

Paul taught obedience. I believe he taught obedience to God's commands.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Obey God in faith how? Gentiles didn't have the code of Law; they may or may not have known what it is but it was never given TO them. At best they had conscience and creation as witnesses -- not enough to save, only to convict.

So like Clete asks, what exactly were they expected to obey in faith?

Or do you even know?

You are asking about Gentiles. I can only say that the Law and the Prophets have not been abolished and that all Christians should obey the commands found in Acts 15. I believe these commands are commands that are required for Gentiles.

The point I am making in this thread is that since Paul taught Gentiles to have faith and obey God, obedience is a part of all Christian teaching. We should all obey God and Jesus.

Ben Masada

Paul taught that we are not justified by works, the works of the Law, but by faith.

Is it also true that Paul taught obedience?

No, Paul did not teach obedience but faith. Obedience is akin to the Law; since according to Paul Christians have been delivered from the Law as we have in Romans 7:6, Christians are not under the Law. Therefore, no need for repentance. Notice though that there are only three modalities as the Law is concerned: 1. Above the Law which only God is; 2. Under the Law which are all Law abiding citizens of the Kingdom of God; and 3. Outlaws who are all the criminals.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We should obey God's commands. They are found in the Bible.

Do you believe Paul called both Jews and Gentiles to obey God?

Paul taught obedience. I believe he taught obedience to God's commands.
And yet you have already stated that you have no idea what the commands are of the new covenant.

God's Truth

Be specific.

Obedience to what?

I posted the above without having read the thread. It's good to see I wasn't the only one to see through the vale on this loaded question.

Jacob, why don't you just admit that you're a legalist? You're a Jew and you want us all to act like Jews. Why are you afraid to just say it?

It is troubling to hear that someone does not know what the Word of God says.

How is it you do not know?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
And yet you have already stated that you have no idea what the commands are of the new covenant.
Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Genesis 6:14 KJV
(14) Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.