ECT DID JESUS TEACH SOLA SCRIPTURA?

john w

Hall of Fame
At least we don't play contemporary music. Just good ole 14A, and Santa Lucia.

I understand that your Breen cult is the "seed" of today's "modern day" "Church of Christ" cult, not allowing instrumental music, which explains why you have all of the congregation to lower their respective voices, like Barn did.

Who is your pastor?

nikolai_42

solascriptura.jpg

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Isaiah 8:20

oatmeal

He most certainly did not teach that the pope and tradition trumps scripture,

He deplored tradition and those who made of show of their religiousity, by the garments they wore and their self seeking motives

He did teach sola scriptura.

John 17:17

Cruciform

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isaiah 8:20
And to what "word" is Isaiah referring? Specifically, he's talking about the prophetic "word" that God had delivered through Isaiah himself. This is not a reference to "the Bible" (since there was no such thing at the time), let alone "the Bible ALONE." So much for this text in any way teaching sola scriptura.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

nikolai_42

And to what "word" is Isaiah referring? Specifically, he's talking about the prophetic "word" that God had delivered through Isaiah himself. This is not a reference to "the Bible" (since there was no such thing at the time), let alone "the Bible ALONE." So much for this text in any way teaching sola scriptura.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

No. He said specifically "To the Law and to the testimony :" which is the Law and the Prophets. It was the written scriptures extant at that day. Jesus being the Living Word said this:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Matthew 5:17-18

Gurucam

Do you accept that Christians are only those people who are 'in Christ'

And do you accept that Christians differ in no way from the Lord Jesus Christ, except in only one way and this is that the Lord Jesus Christ is head of the body of Christ?

Do you hold this belief?

These verses do not state scripture plus fables, fabrications added to scripture by corrupt men,

2 Timothy 3

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Revelation 22

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

God has spoken to us by His Son, not corrupt scripture perverters,

Hebrews 1

1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds.

Galatians 1

11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

And what is the true church built upon? Not corrupt men, not false prophets, not Popes, not Rome, one foundation of the inspired word of God, as laid down by Jesus Christ and inspired prophets and apostles, only,

Ephesians 2

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.

2 Peter 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Cruciform

How would anyone know what is good tradition and bad tradition?
The same way we know what is canonical "Scripture" and what is not: Christ's one historic Church tells us.

What traditions did Paul consent to?
Those delivered by Christ to the apostles, and by the apostles to their successors (the bishops), down to our own day.

Where are those traditions listed?
In Scripture and the oral Tradition handed down from the apostles to their successors (the bishops) to the present day.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

No. He said specifically "To the Law and to the testimony :" which is the Law and the Prophets. It was the written scriptures extant at that day.
If so, then Isaiah was promoting not sola scriptura, but sola Old Testament (even though there would be no authoritative Jewish canon of Scripture until the end of the 1st century A.D.).

Cruciform

2 Timothy 3:16-17; Colossians 2:8; Deuteronomy 4:2; Revelation 22:18-19; Hebrews 1:1-2; Galatians 1:11-12; Ephesians 2:20; 2 Peter 1:16; Joshua 24:15
Unfortunately for the assumptions that you have been fed by your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect, not one of the biblical text you list here even hints at sola scriptura, much less explicitly teaches it. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

nikolai_42

If so, then Isaiah was promoting not sola scriptura, but sola Old Testament (even though there would be no authoritative Jewish canon of Scripture until the end of the 1st century A.D.).

Well sola OT would have been the same thing because they wouldn't have had the NT. But because Isaiah said THE Law and THE Testimony, he was referring to a specific body (or bodies) or scripture. So I don't agree that there was no authoritative scripture. Thus, sola scriptura was alive then.