Dee Dee, convert me to preterism! (HOF thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin

I know next to nothing about end times prophecy. I understand vaguely the different positions of preterism and futurism. I agree with just about everything you post, but I am not sure what to make of preterism.

If you can convince that preterism is biblical, I will convert. I know this is something you have thought a lot about so I will look forward to reading anything you have to say. Will you walk me through a straightforward case for preterism?

I will keep an open mind, but I will not convert to preterism if it is not taught by Scripture.

Futurists feel free to chime in as well.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Wow!!! How did you know that title would get my attention!! Man, am I dreaming?? Okay, Gavin no problem, but let's go slow okay? Give me a bit of time.. I am finishing up a response to Smilax right now but I will get back with you soon.... or maybe you have a specific question/issue you would like to talk about?

D

Dee Dee Warren

What you are whining about Cal... you are a preterist too.

smilax

Gavin, it might help if you list your objections to the (brief) case I made for it in our debate on the sign gifts. That way, we won't have to reinvent the wheel.

Calvinist

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren
What you are whining about Cal... you are a preterist too.

I am whining because, generally speaking, it's better to come to a doctrinal position based on reason and study instead of what appears to be "puppy-love"... aawww... :p

D

Dee Dee Warren

That was a really stupid thing to say.. but then again, you're a Calvinist.

Gavin

Sure, Dee Dee, just take it slow and walk me through it. Maybe you could start by explaining the difference between full-preterism (neo-hymenwhatever) and your view. Just remember that I will be gone for a few weeks during Christmas, starting early next week.

Smilax, was I arguing against preterism in "informal debate II"? I did not even realize it! :D

Gavin

I am whining because, generally speaking, it's better to come to a doctrinal position based on reason and study instead of what appears to be "puppy-love"... aawww...
Just for the record, I am asking a well-read preterist to give her case for preterism, so that, by reason and study, I can make a decision about it. Its just a form of education, Calvinist, not "puppy love".

I would like you to give me your thoughts on futurism, too, Calvinist. My motivation for starting this thread is just to learn about an issue I know nothing about, thats all.

So don't be jealous.;)

Calvinist

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren
That was a really stupid thing to say.. but then again, you're a Calvinist.

I am with Mark Twain in thinking that any time you feel the need to modify an adjective you shouldn't.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Yeah, you're right. The word "calvinist" summed it up nicely.

Calvinist

Originally posted by Gavin

Just for the record, I am asking a well-read preterist to give her case for preterism, so that, by reason and study, I can make a decision about it. Its just a form of education, Calvinist, not "puppy love".

I would like you to give me your thoughts on futurism, too, Calvinist. My motivation for starting this thread is just to learn about an issue I know nothing about, thats all.

So don't be jealous.;)

The irony is that I am a fellow preterist...

Gavin

The irony is that I am a fellow preterist...

Really? What was all that in the back alley about debating DD about preterism?

I can never tell if people are being facetious or not! :doh:

Calvinist

Originally posted by Gavin

Really? What was all that in the back alley about debating DD about preterism?

I can never tell if people are being facetious or not! :doh:

No, see I am studying to debate her on postmillenialism (heresy)

vs. Amillenialism (Truth).

drbrumley

Oh Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gavin, for the record my friend, the best bet is to study scriptures for yourself and let the holy spirit lead you. One thing you must understand is if your a good debater, you can prove just about anything and Dee Dee is a good debater. No question about that. But when you study preterism (even the kind Dee Dee promotes) Which is what I consider partial preterism, you will find that spiritualizing the scripures as they do, tend to get things pretty warped. You will see this after I take care of her in our debate. So hold off making a leap of faith in this manner.

Thank you and Dee Dee, I meant no ill will with this post, but I cannot allow someone to be swayed (even if they are willing) to subscribe to any form of preterism.

smilax

Originally posted by drbrumley
But when you study preterism (even the kind Dee Dee promotes) Which is what I consider partial preterism, you will find that spiritualizing the scripures as they do, tend to get things pretty warped.
Daniel ii, 39: "And after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee, and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth."

John vi, 51: "I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."

Hebrews x, 21: "But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God."

No spiritualizing here! A literal bear will take over the world, Jesus's body turned into Wonderbread, and after He ascended, He sat down on top of God's right hand.

Gavin, if you'd like, I can give you the basics to relieve Dee Dee of the burden. I have all the time in the world.

Solly

BANNED
Banned
Gavin,

I have also been looking into praeterism (I am the President of the DDW fan club after all), and post millenialism - related but not equal issues. See DD's thread "Greetings from an orthodox priest [not, :eek:] praeterist"

While you are learning praeterism, you should try pushing DD to a Reformed view!!

peace in Him

D

Dee Dee Warren

Hey DrB... No offense taken at all. I snatch compliments whereever I can, and I notice that you acknowledged my debating prowess. Thanks... you are about to learn just how good of a debater I actually am ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.