Decriminalizing indoor prostitution leads to fewer rapes and STDs

Tinark

We exploit the fact that a Rhode Island District Court judge unexpectedly decriminalized indoor prostitution in 2003 to provide the first causal estimates of the impact of decriminalization on the composition of the sex market, rape offenses, and sexually transmitted infection outcomes. Not surprisingly, we find that decriminalization increased the size of the indoor market. However, we also find that decriminalization caused both forcible rape offenses and gonorrhea incidence to decline for the overall population. Our synthetic control model finds 824 fewer reported rape offenses (31 percent decrease) and 1,035 fewer cases of female gonorrhea (39 percent decrease) from 2004 to 2009.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w20281#fromrss

If you support keeping prostitution a crime then you are creating more rape victims. You are part of the problem and not the solution.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Just when you think Tinark can not get any dumber....

Tinark

Just when you think Tinark can not get any dumber....

The only dummies out there in regards to this issue are those who don't want to reduce rape by decriminalizing prostitution. Are you one of these dummies, Nick M?

The way forward would be to criminalise fornication.

Yeah and that's going to work really well /sarcasm.

Trying to criminalize "sin" has never worked, and never will. Criminalizing prostitution has not worked. The war on drugs has been a complete failure that has cost trillions of dollars and sent millions of people to prison who never actually harmed anyone and would have been productive citizens. Prohibition (of alcohol) was such a failure that it was repealed after only 13 years.

In every case, the law trying to prohibit such behavior has caused more harm to society than the behavior in question.

I'm against trying to reduce rape by increasing the victims of prostitution.

So who is the victim when both parties enter into the transaction willingly?

Of course it is all too often the case that the prostitute is not working willingly but is practically the slave of some pimp using threats often of violence to keep her working for him. Of course with prostitution illegal she can't exactly go to the police...

Quincy

That correlation doesn't stand up to reason.

A) Rapists are criminals, they don't care to break the law to fulfill their sexual urges. Why would they be interested in legal prostitutes? They can do it illegally.

B) Rapists target specific victims that fit a criteria, even if it's a random victim and it's the idea of forcing a victim that is arousing to them. Why would a business transaction with a legal brothel change that?

C) Information from the CDC shows that STDs have dropped dramitically from the 80s into that time frame across the country. The cause of that is not legal prostitution in part of RI, but rather mass media campaigns that raise awareness about STDs and how they are contracted. Plus, it's been far easier to get condoms over the last decade as well, right?

I think on some degree, the laws regarding prostitution should be changed. If nothing else, prostitutes who come forward to police about their abusive pimps should not be punished for their past and so forth. Whatever it takes to rescue women from that, if they want to be rescued. This a false correlation, however. The are many other factors that cause a decline in STDs and rapes.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
http://www.nber.org/papers/w20281#fromrss

If you support keeping prostitution a crime then you are creating more rape victims. You are part of the problem and not the solution.

Thats idiot thinking, a good number of prostitutes ARE rape victims themselves being forced into the job hence being raped because of being forced to say yes.

Meaning your wanting more prostitution means you want more human trafficking and forced silenced rape victims makes you part of a much larger problem and not a solution.

Solution, stop visiting prostitutes and there wont be a market.

GFR7

And it is actually true that outdoor hookers too have their rights:

This would protect the wealthier clients and higher class call girls in the cushier and glitzier hotels--

and leave to the police the poorer street walkers and backseat car girls and lower-class men.

It would allow the rich to enjoy sin, and the poor to be penalized for it.

I think it is disgraceful. :madmad:

Christian Liberty

What's on the agenda for you next; Murder or perhaps, Extortion
and Kidnapping? Maybe (according to you) we should just have
total, all out Anarchy?

I'm neg repping you for not having a clue what "anarchy" means. Here's a hint: Murder, extortion, and kidnapping would all be illegal. However, these things are completely legal in the US right now, so long as government officials do them.

Ever read Murray Rothbard? Lew Rockwell? Walter Block? Thomas Woods? Larken Rose? Judge Napolitano?

"anarchy" would criminalize more murder, extortion, and kidnapping than are currently illegal.

And of course, prostitution is not comparable to any of these, because unlike the above activities, it is (at least in theory) a consensual interaction between two parties.
That correlation doesn't stand up to reason.

A) Rapists are criminals, they don't care to break the law to fulfill their sexual urges. Why would they be interested in legal prostitutes? They can do it illegally.

I guess it comes down to, does the rapist rape because he wants sexual satisfaction, or because he wants control? Everything I've read suggests its the latter, but it probably varies.

B) Rapists target specific victims that fit a criteria, even if it's a random victim and it's the idea of forcing a victim that is arousing to them. Why would a business transaction with a legal brothel change that?

See above.

C) Information from the CDC shows that STDs have dropped dramitically from the 80s into that time frame across the country. The cause of that is not legal prostitution in part of RI, but rather mass media campaigns that raise awareness about STDs and how they are contracted. Plus, it's been far easier to get condoms over the last decade as well, right?

I think on some degree, the laws regarding prostitution should be changed. If nothing else, prostitutes who come forward to police about their abusive pimps should not be punished for their past and so forth. Whatever it takes to rescue women from that, if they want to be rescued. This a false correlation, however. The are many other factors that cause a decline in STDs and rapes.

Ignoring the situation where pimps force women into things (which should of course be a crime), why in the world is prostitution a crime at all? It is a consensual business transaction. Its one I don't happen to approve of, but its not my decision to make.

Thats idiot thinking, a good number of prostitutes ARE rape victims themselves being forced into the job hence being raped because of being forced to say yes.

But not all.
Meaning your wanting more prostitution means you want more human trafficking and forced silenced rape victims makes you part of a much larger problem and not a solution.

Solution, stop visiting prostitutes and there wont be a market.

I agree with your solution (I certainly don't visit them, lol) but I don't think anyone wants more prostitution. Speaking for myself, however, I do want less people being locked up for victimless crimes.

Christian Liberty

Either everybody in, or everybody out. :carryon:

This misses the point.

Here's the real question:

Do you support threatening people at gunpoint for engaging in a distasteful but consensual business transaction?

I don't. And I think the idea that most people do is downright disgusting.

What side are you on?

GFR7

This misses the point.

Here's the real question:

Do you support threatening people at gunpoint for engaging in a distasteful but consensual business transaction?

I don't. And I think the idea that most people do is downright disgusting.

What side are you on?
This WAS my point. Intuitively, I recoil from the idea of a wealthy lawyer getting a blow job in a cushy Hilton hotel room, legally , all comfy and cozy and safe. . .

- while some poor guy out in a car (and poor girl) gets handcuffed, tasered, and thrown in city jail.

I don't like prostitution or that kind of sex, but if it is going to go on, don't pick on the poor. Is that so difficult for others to understand?

I was born with a heart open to the oppressed. It's the way I was made. :nono:
:(

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Jesus had compassion for prostitutes, drinkers (those in sin):

The Son of man is come eating and drinking;
and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man,
and a winebibber,
a friend of publicans
and sinners!

when he declined to condemn the woman taken in adultery, what were His last words to her?