Dead tiger bigger victim than dead man?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
This is another of those "you didn't tell me hot coffee in my lap could burn me" deals.

"Hey, no one told me that if I got drunk and annoyed a wild animal, I could get hurt."

No doubt the family of the "victim" will sue and argue that the zoo should have anticipated that drunken morons might torment the tiger sufficiently to make it attack.

While the zoo was clearly negligent in not providing a better enclosure, I wouldn't give those people a cent. Personal responsibility still applies.

johana

This is another of those "you didn't tell me hot coffee in my lap could burn me" deals.

"Hey, no one told me that if I got drunk and annoyed a wild animal, I could get hurt."

No doubt the family of the "victim" will sue and argue that the zoo should have anticipated that drunken morons might torment the tiger sufficiently to make it attack.

While the zoo was clearly negligent in not providing a better enclosure, I wouldn't give those people a cent. Personal responsibility still applies.

I'd have to disagree. If the industry standard says all tiger enclosures should exceed x height and the zoo failed to meet or exceed those requirements, they are at fault. Had the industry standards been changed after the enclosure had been erected then perhaps it's not their fault although it's not unheard of for people to win cases where the regulations were changed after the structure had been built.

(A drunk guy here fell over a stair handrail. When it was put in place it met the requirements but the standard was changed. The judge ruled that ti was up to the hotel to maintain the building to meet industry standards or risk liability)

The guys were taunting a tiger. Whilst that may be stupid and cruel, they acted with reasonable belief that the tiger was adequately contained. If they aided the tigers escape, they can be held personally responsible for the consequences of the escape but otherwise they didn't act in such a way where a mauling would be expected or reasonable outcome.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I don't think anyone says that the zoo wasn't at fault here, too.

But contributory negligence applies here. If they weren't mean and drunk and stupid, this wouldn't have happened. Too bad, but society isn't obligated to protect people from their own idiocy.

red77

Get rid of 'zoos' (not you zoo22) and createa few more natural reserve parks where

A: The animals aren't locked up in caged environments....

actually, just A....

johana

Get rid of 'zoos' (not you zoo22) and createa few more natural reserve parks where

A: The animals aren't locked up in caged environments....

actually, just A....

How caged are the animals? I thought San Fransisco was quite 'Open Range'?

:Ha: I just looked them up. They have an exhibit for kangaroos and then another whole exhibit for koalas. And they get put inside when it rains. :chuckle:

zoo22

Get rid of 'zoos' (not you zoo22)

:noid:

This thread has been making me uneasy, what with all the zoo criticism. I was worried it was going to start moving in this direction.

For the record, I had nothing to do with this tiger thing. If it were me, I'd have 1) built the wall higher, and 2) told those idiots not to mess around with the tigers.

Sweet Pea

This thread has been making me uneasy, what with all the zoo criticism. I was worried it was going to start moving in this direction.

For the record, I had nothing to do with this tiger thing. If it were me, I'd have 1) built the wall higher, and 2) told those idiots not to mess around with the tigers.

My local zoo has the tigers in a very large enclosure with MUCH higher walls than what I saw of SF, and there's NO WAY anyone could possibly get on them and mess around. The viewing area where people can see the tigers is separated from the animals by a clear wall of very strong glass-like material (not sure if it's tempered glass or something else. I know I've shot pictures through it with no problem). I wondered why it was possible to get on the wall in the first place, and also why someone was idiotic enough to taunt a tiger.

~SP

Sweet Pea

I agree to a point. I live in a city which has a wonderful zoo, and they do have tigers there, but there's no way they can get out. They can't jump that high. When I saw the enclosure on the news, I was surprised that the walls weren't higher. OTOH, if I were on a jury in this likely lawsuit I would give some weight to the fact that these people shouldn't have been messing around and tormenting the animal. What I would try to do is give compensation for expenses (medical, funeral) but no multi-million dollar "pain and suffering" or punitive awards---I'd rather see the zoo use the money to improve its facility's safety than to reward stupidity.

~SP

zoo22

Those fools (well one anyway, and I mean the people, not the tiger) also attacked a uniformed cop. Someone was going to take them out at some point. Though I don't imagine anyone would have predicted that it would be a tiger.

johana

Those fools (well one anyway, and I mean the people, not the tiger) also attacked a uniformed cop. Someone was going to take them out at some point. Though I don't imagine anyone would have predicted that it would be a tiger.

:chuckle: Would have come as quite the shock...

No one expects the tiger...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

So naturally you come in and take up the standard...but then, we all know how your kind stick together no matter what they've done. Let something happen to a zoo and you're all weepy or up in arms, but let a zoo do something to a defenseless drunk idiot with an attitude and it's goodbye species loyalty, hello zoo-club. :sozo2:

They also maul who only stand and wait...:p

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
So naturally you come in and take up the standard...but then, we all know how your kind stick together no matter what they've done. Let something happen to a zoo and you're all weepy or up in arms, but let a zoo do something to a defenseless drunk idiot with an attitude and it's goodbye species loyalty, hello zoo-club. :sozo2:

They also maul who only stand and wait...:p

Is this YOUR standard, TH?

We all know how Christians like yourself stick together no matter what they've done but let something happen to a church or congregation and you're all weepy or up in arms.

But if a church does something to a defenseless drunk idiot with an attitude then it's goodbye emapthy and hello obedience.

zoo22

We all know how Christians like yourself stick together no matter what they've done but let something happen to a church or congregation and you're all weepy or up in arms.

But if a church does something to a defenseless drunk idiot with an attitude then it's goodbye emapthy and hello obedience.

I believe TH was joking. This misunderstanding was probably my fault... I started the joke chain. What with the "zoo" and all. Sorry about that. :plain:

red77

How caged are the animals? I thought San Fransisco was quite 'Open Range'?

:Ha: I just looked them up. They have an exhibit for kangaroos and then another whole exhibit for koalas. And they get put inside when it rains. :chuckle:

:think:

I guess it depends on where and how big the enclosures are, I saw a few in the UK when younger that just weren't big enough for a lot of the animals to have enough space, some of them were shut down as a result as it was latterly regarderd as cruelty towards animals, circuses have now been banned from using animals for similar reasons...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
We all know how Christians like yourself stick together no matter what they've done
Firstly, I take it that by Christians like me you mean tall, handsome, left handed, color blind and remarkably perceptive…an unusual combination but I’ll accept the mathematical possibility. :D
but let something happen to a church or congregation and you're all weepy or up in arms.
Secondly, I’m rarely weepy and then only at the funeral of a close friend or the opening day of duck season, which itself is a remarkable thing as I never participate (in duck season—I have been known to carry a coffin around, though never at funerals) but there’s no accounting for what moves us, unless it’s bran….where was I? :liberals:
Lastly, I don’t know how it is where you come from---and why is that? And, contrary to your perception, I find drunks mostly offensive, especially so when driving, but then I’m just naturally cranky when I’m driving. :squint:

So in conclusion I feel confident that one of us has irrefutably established the “rightness” if not righteousness of his position and left the other a poor excuse for a pauper in the tenement row of ideas, an ideological orphan on mother’s day, a motorist without a causeway, a reasoned lemming at the edge of a precipitous argument. And with that it’s time for soup. :chew:

What's that? No, I use a fork...Sorry, was that you or am I off my meds again? :think:

MindOverMatter

I get real suspicious when I hear people say things like this....

"Jack Hanna said that since zoo tigers are well fed, it is unlikely the animal was looking for food when it got out. "Were they taunting the animal?" he said. "Were they throwing things that were making it angry?"

It sure seems to me that they are looking for a reason to blame to humans - those evil humans!!!! :madmad:

I wonder if Jack Hanna thinks the zoo-keeper was "taunting the tiger" when that same tiger ate a zoo-keepers arm off in December 2006. :think:

Because the love for lower animals, beasts, and their kind has blinded them, the point that most animal lovers tend to forget is that the only reason that lower animals need is opportunity. A lower animal will kill or commit other immoral act just because it has the opportunity. That opportunity is the only reason that it needs.

So opportunity is one of the features that distinguishes lower animals, beasts, and their kind from highly evolved beings. Unlike lower animals, beasts, and others of their kind, highly evolved beings do not simply engage in acts just because they have the opportunity, or just because they can. Lower animals, beasts, and their kind have no such sense, so they will engage in certain behaviors just because the opportunity has been made available. Was trying to explain this point to someone else in another thread >>>Hocus Focus. But as always you know how you can’t explain things to a generation that believes that it is right in its own eyes. Everyone else but those of this generation is irrational and stupid. :rotfl: Gotta love it!

Proverbs 30:12 [There is] a generation [that are] pure in their own eyes, and [yet] is not washed from their filthiness.

MindOverMatter

Who knows what triggers a wild animal's provocation?

Opportunity is a trigger for lower animals, animals, beasts, and their kind.

That's why they call them wild. What triggered the provocation that injured the tiger-trainer on the stage in Las Vegas? My TRANSLATION is that wild animals get provoked.

Opportunity can be provocative for some.

Some people see this through a narrow context and claim that the animal is blameless and the human is at fault or else they claim the animal is at fault and the humans are blameless. Your "TRANSLATION" is no translation. It says more about your own agenda than it does about what the city attorney said (which, knowing the way wild animals are--it is the truth. Something happened and the tiger got provoked).

Opportunity provokes or moves lower animals, beasts, and those of their kind to action. Don’t know why supposedly highly evolved and rational people have not come to see this. Don’t know why this information is hard for highly evolved and rational people to grasp.

Other people see the tragedy through the context of people getting mauled by a tiger which is a beautiful animal that is on the endangerd species list.

Don’t you know that everything and everyone is on the endangered species list?

There is no "anti-human agenda here." That's a little silly, don't you agree? Maybe an "anti-ignorant" agenda, though!

There is no "anti-human agenda here." :rotfl: Oh you gotta love it! Don’t you know that there are some people who are closer to lower animals and beasts than humans. Haven’t you learned that there are some people who are closer to lower animals and beast than MAN. What are they teaching you all in your Science classes? You better check that Bible again. Every human, animal, beast and their kind, is generally closer to and feels more comfortable around their own.

Last edited: