DACA - Dreamers

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Romney: I'm 'more of a hawk on immigration' than Trump

Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who has launched a bid to represent Utah in the U.S. Senate, said he's "more of a hawk on immigration" than President Donald Trump, citing his opposition to an Obama-era initiative that offered protections for young undocumented immigrants.

Romney, who ran for the presidency in 2012 but was defeated by former President Barack Obama, touted his conservative credentials during an event on Monday in Provo, Utah, according to local media.

The former GOP nominee also described himself as a "deficit hawk," a stance he said makes him "more conservative than a lot of Republicans and a lot of Democrats."

Romney added that his Republican bona fides extended to the ongoing debate over immigration, pointing to the fact that on the 2012 campaign trail he opposed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program rescinded by Trump last year.

"I’m also more of a hawk on immigration than even the president," Romney said, according to The Daily Herald.

A campaign spokesman for Romney said Tuesday the candidate's views have since evolved and that he "believes the commitment made by President Obama should be honored" and DACA recipients ought to be allowed to legally stay in the country. The spokesman added that Romney drew the line on providing a separate pathway to citizenship for DACA recipients, a measure Trump voiced support for earlier this year.

Trump announced in September he was ending the Obama-era immigration initiative that provided work permits and some protection from deportation to people in the U.S. who entered illegally as children.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
[h=3]Despite no DACA fix, Mulvaney praises immigration package in House spending bill[/h]
Excerpt : Share on Facebook Share on TwitterThe massive $1.3 trillion spending bill passed by the House on Thursday afternoon includes a “really, really good immigration package,” but falls short on providing a fix for the Deferred Action and Childhood Arrivals program, said Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney.

“Did we get everything that we wanted when it comes to immigration? Absolutely not. Did we get a DACA fix? No,” Mulvaney said Thursday during a briefing on the spending bill. “Let’s make it clear, the president wanted a DACA fix as part of this deal. He had offered a large package with a complete DACA fix in exchange for the entire [border] wall. He offered a small package — three years’ worth of a DACA fix in exchange for three years’ worth of a wall."

Despite last-ditch efforts to append a DACA plan to the spending deal and signs that the White House was open to some sort of compromise, Democrats and Republicans were unable to reach an agreement.

“The Democrats in the House and Senate have made it clear they think they’re winning in the courts and they do not want to fix this legislatively,” Mulvaney added. “We’ve reached out to them again and again to try to fix DACA, and they refuse to engage on the topic.”
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

The massive $1.3 trillion spending bill passed by the House on Thursday afternoon includes a “really, really good immigration package,” but falls short on providing a fix for the Deferred Action and Childhood Arrivals program, said Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney.
“Did we get everything that we wanted when it comes to immigration? Absolutely not. Did we get a DACA fix? No,” Mulvaney said Thursday during a briefing on the spending bill. “Let’s make it clear, the president wanted a DACA fix as part of this deal. He had offered a large package with a complete DACA fix in exchange for the entire [border] wall. He offered a small package — three years’ worth of a DACA fix in exchange for three years’ worth of a wall."

Despite last-ditch efforts to append a DACA plan to the spending deal and signs that the White House was open to some sort of compromise, Democrats and Republicans were unable to reach an agreement.
“The Democrats in the House and Senate have made it clear they think they’re winning in the courts and they do not want to fix this legislatively,” Mulvaney added. “We’ve reached out to them again and again to try to fix DACA, and they refuse to engage on the topic.”

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Unbelievable. Jerry Brown of California just released 5 illegal felons, including murderers. Overnight he pardoned them and released them. Sanctuary baby !!! Surprisingly, I can't find anything online but I just heard it on FOX News.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Bottom line?

DACA deportations could cost US economy more than $400 billion

Trump's decision to remove of hundreds of thousands of young immigrants from the workforce could cost the economy hundreds of billions of dollars over the next 10 years.
The Trump administration announced the "wind down" over the next six months of the DACA program, which shields some 800,000 young immigrants from deportation.
Unless Congress acts to replace the Obama-era program with similar protections, those people would no longer be allowed to work in the U.S.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/daca-deportations-could-cost-us-economy-more-than-400-billion.html

Once, Napoleon, noting that a proposed action was opposed by his minister Talleyrand, asked sarcastically "are you going to tell me it's immoral?"

"Worse than that, it's stupid." Talleyrand replied.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
As you know, even Trump doesn't want to deport those guys. It's just business. The policy was to use them as leverage to get his wall.

Didn't work. But in the end, I think he'll not deport them; he wants a second term.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
  • Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump 19h19 hours agoMore

These big flows of people are all trying to take advantage of DACA. They want in on the act!

32,001 replies16,358 retweets67,019 likes

Direct message

• Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump 20h20 hours agoMore

Mexico is doing very little, if not NOTHING, at stopping people from flowing into Mexico through their Southern Border, and then into the U.S. They laugh at our dumb immigration laws. They must stop the big drug and people flows, or I will stop their cash cow, NAFTA. NEED WALL!

31,013 replies28,893 retweets106,101 likes

Direct message

• Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump 20h20 hours agoMore

Border Patrol Agents are not allowed to properly do their job at the Border because of ridiculous liberal (Democrat) laws like Catch & Release. Getting more dangerous. “Caravans” coming. Republicans must go to Nuclear Option to pass tough laws NOW. NO MORE DACA DEAL!

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Don't like Trump's tweet on DACA? Just wait a day. He'll change his mind again. It's not much of a thing for him, since Congress refused to pay for his wall as a way to get him to restore DACA. Mexico laughed at him when he demanded they pay for it. I've seem some liberal commentators who have mentioned that just paying for the wall would be cheaper on the U.S. than the economic costs of deporting all the DACA people, so maybe giving him the wall would be a good deal.

Regrettably, liberals seem to miss the point on all of this. My thought is that anything that would be bad parenting is probably bad when applied to politicians as well.

Greg Jennings

I guess barbie took the day off or joined another forum. I though sure he'd jump right back in this thread with left wing disinformation.

Disinformation abounds on both sides, PJ. You'd be wise to notice that.

Not everything that we WANT to believe is true, is actually true.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Trump tweeted:
These big flows of people are all trying to take advantage of DACA. They want in on the act!

I would have thought he'd know that DACA wouldn't apply to new immigrants. How can he implement realistic policies, when he doesn't even understand the issue?

Yes, I realize it's possible that he knows better, but correctly assumes most of his followers aren't smart enough to know that.

Maybe so. But isn't that effectively the same thing?