Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
For you to claim there is no objective reality that can be assessed with empirical evidence is post modernism. It is exactly what Bacon opposed in philosophy, but many of you modern day YECs cling to. In short, it is stupid.

Boy you are brilliant sir. Let's get some more of dat wisdom of yours right here, right now. :rotfl:
Remember this conversation goes back to evidence and the interpretation of evidence. Different people can look at the same evidence and come to different conclusions. Then the question is what are the conclusions we should arrive at and how. Obviously our predispositions affect where we end up in this.

I have not said there is not objective reality. I believe in objective truth and absolute truth and I also believe in objective reality. I believe that truth corresponds to reality. Some people want to live in, or have their own, reality. But there is truth beyond ourselves. And this truth can be known. And this truth comes to us by/from God. It is God who communicates reality to us.

Feel free to read:

ECT: Creation as Recorded in the Bible

...to see better where I am coming from. It is a recently created thread and we are hashing out some different beliefs in order to be consistent with what the Bible says (the thread is for Christians only). The topic of science does come up in this discussion of what the Bible says, and I don't believe it should not. But it is not the only thing those thinking about creation (and the Bible) think about.

noguru

Remember this conversation goes back to evidence and the interpretation of evidence. Different people can look at the same evidence and come to different conclusions. Then the question is what are the conclusions we should arrive at and how. Obviously our predispositions affect where we end up in this.

I have not said there is not objective reality. I believe in objective truth and absolute truth and I also believe in objective reality. I believe that truth corresponds to reality. Some people want to live in, or have their own, reality. But there is truth beyond ourselves. And this truth can be known. And this truth comes to us by/from God. It is God who communicates reality to us.

Feel free to read:

ECT: Creation as Recorded in the Bible

...to see better where I am coming from. It is a recently created thread and we are hashing out some different beliefs in order to be consistent with what the Bible says (the thread is for Christians only). The topic of science does come up in this discussion of what the Bible says, and I don't believe it should not. But it is not the only thing those thinking about creation (and the Bible) think about.

I addressed your deceptions in this thread:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84898&highlight=Epistemology

Neither you nor Mike C had the courage to squarely address the issue there. You both slipped away like slimy eels, only to resurface pushing the same fallacies again.

You might be able to fool other gullible or stupid creationists who have already decided to place a literal interpretation of Genesis as a fundamental assumption in the philosophy of science, but you will not fool others about that. This is exactly why any one who truly understands science/philosophy just laughs at YEC claims that are falsely labeled as science.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey noguru,

I'll answer your question a little later. I had to get a tooth pulled today, and my mouth is bleeding like a stuck pig. I may have to go to emergency and have a couple stitches put in it. I don't know.

Anyway, I am hungry. I am gonna eat no matter what. I'm hungry. I'll put new gauze in afterwards. I didn't mean to slime away like you said I did. I'll see if I can correct that problem. Half of the time, I don't understand it all. I'm not a biologist or evolutionist. I love God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I'm a preacher, if that's what you want to call it. A preacher doesn't have to understand biology, etc. But I'll see what I can do a bit later. Thanks!!

Michael

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I addressed your deceptions in this thread:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84898&highlight=Epistemology

Neither you nor Mike C had the courage to squarely address the issue there. You both slipped away like slimy eels, only to resurface pushing the same fallacies again.

You might be able to fool other gullible or stupid creationists who have already decided to place a literal interpretation of Genesis as a fundamental assumption in the philosophy of science, but you will not fool others about that. This is exactly why any one who truly understands science/philosophy just laughs at YEC claims that are falsely labeled as science.
Science only exists because of God.

I don't know who Mike C is.

I remember we talked about philosophy before. But now (in the thread I referred you to) we are talking about interpreting the Biblical text. Leting God's word speak for itself is a motivation of mine.

Stuu

I'm honest with you, and that's how you Repay Me?
You're not honest. You ask questions and make points, but the pattern of your responses indicates that you don't, or can't pay attention to what others post for you.

You have described your use of marijuana. Now in regards to criminalisation I'm with you: if a person needs THC medicinally then it should be developed properly by pharmaceutical companies into reliable doses delivered by safe means (smoking isn't safe regardless of the amount). There are US states leading the way in decriminalising cannabis for sale and reaping the tax rewards and probably a decrease in associated crime, which is the only intelligent approach; and if people are addicted to the drug then they should be able to openly ask for medical treatment without fear of prosecution.

BUT, it is well known that THC makes learning much more difficult, and here are you asking questions that require learning on everyone's part. So, if you are using a drug that limits learning, then you aren't engaging in a manner that respects others who are making the effort.

Stuart

noguru

Science only exists because of God.

That may be so, but that in no way requires that your interpretation of Genesis and the accompanying perspective is the most accurate view of reality. In fact the methodology you have chosen prevents real progress in regard to learning science.

I don't know who Mike C is.

I remember we talked about philosophy before. But now (in the thread I referred you to) we are talking about interpreting the Biblical text. Leting God's word speak for itself is a motivation of mine.

You don't "Let God's word speak for itself". That might be the new sound bite of the minute for you guys which lulls you into a false sense of confidence, but it is not accurate.

Last edited:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear noguru,

You do not mean me in Post #4966, right? I know I am not the only Michael or Mike C. on this TOL website. I think discussing the supernatural is better than discussing the natural, that most of us know enough about already. There is a spiritual world out there, and it can be negative or positive. I'm into positive. So that's where I'm at. Now I suppose you are also, noguru. We're still Christians. Neither of us knows as much about the dinosaurs, except that we still have some of their relatives on earth, like the crocodile, elephant (woolly mammoth), armadillo, horned toad, frog, and most likely, roaches, and it goes on and on. We're mostly hanging on a PROMISE made by someone we believe in called Jesus Christ. That's what it's mostly about. Soon enough you'll be able to use ALL FIVE of your senses to know what's going on around you, namely Armageddon, i.e. an earthquake, flood, fire, landslide, hail storm, tornadoes, tsunamis/hurricanes, etc. So we will get our five senses interpretation. So let's just figure that as a given. Now we've got some dude, just one so far, proclaiming that the time is near for Jesus' Return. He says he heard it from an angel. Now why should we believe him? I mean, even Mother Mary heard something from an angel, but did she have to go through nonbelievers giving her a hassle? And wise men, knowing the sign of the first coming of the Messiah traveled from quite a distance to Jesus' manger, what do you think Mary thought of that?? So far, we have Mary filled with wonder at all of the things happening with her. Now, she almost was put away by her husband Joseph, but even an angel came to him so he wouldn't do that. So we've got this 'idiot' proclaiming an angel told him something to tell those around him.

Well, just his luck, there's an Internet now, of ALL times!! Isn't that CONVENIENT? That means this dude can get in touch with tons more people than he could have ever done before it happened. What would make people stand up and take notice of this guy and what he's saying. Does he have to run naked down the highway until someone listens to him? No, because then he'll just be jailed for indecent exposure. Shall God send 7 inches of snow so the newspaper reporter shall know that this dude is being truthful. Already DONE!! Didn't help at all. The reporter wouldn't help. Had to go talk with the owner of the newspaper instead, when the reporter wouldn't even believe him. And God told His dude/witness that there will be no more signs except Jonah and the fish, except for 3 and 1/2 days this time. Still, no one will believe. God will show the identity of the second witness in due time. For they BOTH, shall DIE in the same hour. And they shall also be risen back to Life, and be risen up to Heaven in their sight. Can they read Rev. chapter 11 also?? Is this some mystery being kept from everyone?

You're ALL treating me unfairly and you'd think you'd RALLY with me and be glad that Our Lord is Returning!! And that you'd be filled with Joy about it, despite that it won't turn out great for everyone. It's in God's Hands, so it will be just fine for everyone. It's in a Higher Power's Hand, so quit worrying. Now am I going to get any support here or not?? I sure get a lot of responses when I post on Twitter. And Facebook, YouTube. I've had two videos on YouTube. Will be doing another very soon. OK, you all; can I get some Go, Team, Go!!! From anyone?? See what I mean??!! You won't believe until AFTER it HAPPENS!! They did that to Jesus and Jesus never had to lift a pen to tell His story, because there were others to be witnesses of him who could write what they knew. Well, we don't have that pleasure here because it's not going to be a good time to be writing or reading books then. You'll be facing the elements, the extreme cold, or heat, no water, no potable water, no toilet, no A/C or Heat, no gas for cars, no propane after the last is used up, bombs going off accidentally, not because someone pushed a button, but because something malfunctioned and fired up those missiles anyway, so what do you know...nuclear warhead explosions. Melting skin and eyes. I'm going to say, Good Luck for those whom the Lord God and Jesus takes away from these things.

Now, you don't want to hear me. I'm not trying to be a buzz-kill, but instead an alarm clock waking you up so you'll be ready when He Returns! Still, here I am, no one believing me. Where in the world do you think I got all of this info and these words to tell my fellow women and men?? No one's helping no one else!! That's what it all boils down to. Lay back and let someone else believe it. Not the right answer. This seems hopeless, so I'll wait and watch you all cope with these things because you didn't want to believe me long enough to help you learn the things you needed to know.

MORE TO COME,

Michael

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Noguru/Everyone!!

I'm going to pretend that you all believe what I'm saying, instead of fighting with me because of whatever reason you don't want to believe me. There will be a sign in the Heavens before Jesus returns and you will readily know it. I can't tell you what it is beforehand, but I do know, and it's God's Trump Card which He holds close to His Chest. Otherwise, Satan would also know which day it would be, which is not what God wants. Of Course, you all!!

OK, those of you who worry about what you need are going to be the last on the list of getting saved. Those of you who try to help out others around you shall gain God's Favor. Now, you might have to hold someone's hand, giving them comfort while they are dying. That's one thing. You might have to lift some concrete, wood or metal off of someone. You might have to give someone your last piece of bread, instead of yourself. By trying to help others, your life will be cast in eternal stone, and a new name given you.

There's a very good chance that you will be able to read my book if there is one near you. And you can always retell the testimony/story that I told you in the book, to those around you. Give each other support. Don't steal someone's money. Well, it will be useless anyways. There won't be no banks to take money out of the regular way. No tellers, or bank managers. No FDIC for your banks and the money you HAD in them. Things will go back down to the very basics, and yes, guns and knives shall be melted down to make instruments to till the ground so that you can grow some vegetables. You may all have to become vegetarians. That, the angels will instruct you on. There will be tons of angels helping people out, but they will be in spirit form, so you will hear them, but not necessarily see them. Can you handle that?? You will know if an angel is talking with you. Loud, booming, clear, resonating voice. I could go on it seems. It's like something you've never ever heard before. I'm positive of it, except for that other witness out there who is having just as much trouble as I am with getting through to people. Perhaps that other witness does not even know what's happening until it's time to go. But he will be a virgin. And he will be male. He'll probably be gay, or an abstainer. What do you expect of some guy to do? How do you think someone's suppose to not have sex for 50 years without a girl?? I went through those urges also and the angel told me "No, No, No!!" I know what I heard and obeyed quickly. See Rev. 14:4. The ONLY other things would be that he might be a priest who somehow, never had sex with a woman or a guy!! If you 'self-serve', it is the same thing as having done it. Jesus told us that if we lust after a woman in our hearts, it's like we already have done it. Same for guys. So it will take one heck of a priest to have not had sex since 1974. If you know anyone, let me know. Perhaps someone with a medical problem or a mental handicap. For God will FREE the mentally handicapped, and those who can't walk, or see, or breathe well, or remain paralyzed. God can make a human out of rocks. All He needs to do is take out the minerals that He wants, and add 95% water?? Or 90% water?? I know it's somewhere around there.

OK, when things happen, many towns will be completely shut off from the world. With heavy trees and concrete covering the roads and anything else, it will be too hard to navigate from one place to another. The islands shall not be found (be covered with the sea; not necessarily all of them), the mountains shall melt (not necessarily all of them). Console each other. Do for your neighbor the same thing you'd have them do for you. Share the last piece of cookie. Or just give yours up. He who seeks to save his life shall lose it, and vice versa. Do it from your heart, not just because you read it somewhere. It will be fine. Don't let Satan talk you into anything. Be faithful and loyal to your God and Jesus, and the Holy Spirit/Ghosts. Don't forsake them. They will not forsake you, no matter what words the devil tells you. The devil is really difficult to say the least, but it's a matter of "Does God have my love and care, or does Satan?"

I cannot emphasize this nearly enough at all. All manners of lies, blasphemies, and accusations the devil and his demons have tried to get me to give up the fight and give up my God. I LOVE GOD and JESUS, and the HOLY SPIRIT and ANGELS, and my fellow SERVANTS and Neighbors already TONS!! You have no idea of the depth of my love at all. It has grown very strong in the last 40 years. Still, sometimes I rebuke or get upset, just like Jesus did when overturning the moneychangers tables in the Temple. I sometimes get so tired, and I've only been dealing with it all for 50 years. God's been doing it for TONS of years, and He is much more able to forgive you in an instant, before you even ask Him, He has forgiven you. Just don't forsake Him. If you've accidentally used a cuss word to Him, He will still forgive you. Only blasphemy of the Holy Ghost is unforgivable. That does not mean just the devil saying it in your head. It means, you are actually doing it and seriously feeling it. Don't be that weak and be CAREFUL!!

Do you think you will be in shock? You certainly shall be!! But God will be with you and heal you. I really am not sure if God is leaving 1/3 of mankind on the Earth afterwards or not. It may be that they will rest for 1,000 years and be given a chance in another body also, and correct the mistakes they made in their previous lives. Like, if they kidnapped, tortured and raped five women in their past life, what kind of life do you think God is going to give them the second time around??? And you wonder why everything happens here and there. Payback's a beach!! God will be with the homeless, and the mentally and physically handicapped, ie.: Mongoloid, ADHD, Bipolar, Schizophrenic, Schizo Affective, Psychotic, He will help them to be free of their demons and cast them out. And for those who are paralyzed, don't you think God can't give your back a few new Vertebrae, or a healed Spinal Cord, Dementia, Alzheimer Disease, A new Leg or Hand!! Well, I think I've said enough for you to be okay.

God And His Son And The Comforter and His Angels Be With You!!

Michael

P.S. It really doesn't matter if everything evolved, or was created. God will give you the answers you seek. It doesn't matter that He's altered a genome, a gene, RNA or DNA, or atoms of all sorts. Start concentrating on the things are most important. The other stuff will be added to you shortly after you are with Him in Paradise. Don't worry about that stuff now. Worry about what do do in a crunch and how to act. Be kind, don't steal, don't kill, no raping, etc.!! YEC or OEC or Atheist, you'll find out when you face Him. When He returns, go to Him. Do not go for a jacket or a cigarette, etc. Go to Him!! Your baby and kids will be fine. They have God too and Myriads of Angels and Servants of God. MC

Last edited:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
and humans.

Stuart

Dear Stu,

So you think humans were on the Earth when the dinosaurs were on Earth? I have no idea, so far. I mean like Tyrannosaurus Rex, or Brontosaurus, or Pterodactyls, etc. It could be, if so, but it was probably not Our Adam and Eve. That means dinosaurs would have lived on the earth around 6,000 years ago.

Some things we'll have to learn when we face Him and He hugs us. God is not going to give me much as far as any answers that do not pertain to my being a witness for Him, regarding only my testimony and prophecy for Him to others.

Stu, I gave you some good rep pts. Will keep trying to get you some more boxes and stars up there. How do I get rid of any red boxes you have?? Is there something I can do?? Let me know.

God Be With You!!

Michael

6days

Will answer you in segments. ..
Barbarian said:
"equivocation" means... "the use of ambiguous langage to hide something."

That's a pretty good definition.

You understand..... Oops spoke too soon, because next up.....

Barbarian said:
6days said:
If you mean change in allele frequency, then say what you mean.
That's what evolution is. I thought you knew; you talked as though you were familiar with the theory.

You again equivocate...trying to sell your beliefs. Biblical creationists and the Creationist model accept there is a change in allele frequency. However we do not accept the 'goo to you' belief. Change in allele frequency is observable science. Goo to you is fantasy. You equivocate using the word ' evolution' describing both science and fantasy.

Barbarian said:
6days said:
Barbarian said:
That could be easily falsified. For example, if flies and dogs were genetically more alike than dogs and horses, it would falsify the notion of a common ancestor.
Using your logic... creationism is also falsifiable.

Could be, if they made testable predictions before the fact was known. I don't know of any examples right off, but maybe some exist. Tell us about them.

Fallacy of moving the goalposts...Like common ancestry beliefs,...common designer beliefs would be falsified if flies and dogs were genetically more alike than dogs and horses.

Barbarian said:
Nope. For example, the advocates of "common design" claim that platypuses are like ducks because they have a superficially similarly-shape set of mouthparts. They seem completely unconcerned that the platypus is genetically much more closely related to other mammals than to any bird.

What is your point?* What article or scientist are you talking about? Or are you making things up? The platypus is a very unique and highly complex creature that God created.* There is no evidence of evolutionism.

Barbarian said:
Moreover, when a bit of heme (fraction of a hemoglobin molecule) was found in dinosaur bone (some organic molecules can survive for millions of years in anoxic conditions) the heme was most like that of a bird, and unlike that of modern reptiles.**
Which makes no sense at all to creationism, but was a prediction of science.

*That soft tissue is being regularly found in dinosaur bones is evidence that something is very very wrong with evolutionists conclusions about dinosaur extinctions 65 million years ago. Half life*DNA studies suggest evolutionary beliefs are hopelessly flawed. *(Just like their faulty conclusions about coelacanths**going extinct 65 million years ago.) Yes, evolutionists are scrambling TRYING to make evidence fit their beliefs...Maybe iron preserved the soft tissue? :).

Creationist prediction... Carbon dating will find radiocarbon in the soft tissue.

Re your comment "heme was most like that of a bird, and unlike that of modern reptiles". Again I suspect you are trying to sell your beliefs.**Blood vessels, connective tissue and cells*found in dinosaur bones is amazing evidence of recent creation... not similarity to birds.**Similarities*in blood vessels, cells and connective tissue*describe what would be expected in most amphibians, reptiles, birds and even mammals.

Barbarian said:
Nope. In fact, Mendel cleared up a serious problem for Darwin's theory. You see, Darwin was unable to explain how, if heredity was like mixing paint, how a new change could spread in a population. It would be like mixing a drop of red paint in a barrel of white. But Mendel showed that heredity was like sorting beads, and it became immediately clear how Darwin's theory was correct.

I think you had too many fruit loops for breakfast this morning :)

Mendel of course knew about Darwins beliefs, but he certainly did not accept Darwins*beliefs of*descent with modification.* Modern geneticists such as John Sanford and James S. Allan were atheists... claimed to live and breath evolutionism, are now convinced that genetics proves evolutionism is impossible.

Barbarian said:
6days said:
While Linnaeus used observable science, Darwin...not knowing genetics, extrapolated that maybe one kind can evolve into another kind.

And a great number of predictions, based on that theory, such as fish with functional legs, whales with functional legs, transitionals between humans and apes, feathered dinosaurs, and so on, have been confirmed to be true. This is why scientists overwhelmingly accept it.

Pfttttt. Now I know you were into those fruit loops. You believe in science fiction.

Whales don't have functional legs. (Just like evolutionists believed coelacanths had legs :) )There are no transitional fossils between humans and apes. Feathered dinosaurs?? Possibly but certainly no compelling evidence. (Feathers are great evidence of our designer). If feathered dinosaurs existed...."In the beginning..."

Barbarian said:
Creationism is a belief in the sense that people believe in leprechauns.

Actually it is the belief that God's Word is absolute truth and that the creation and fall account are foundational to the gospel. It is a belief that God created man from the dust of the earth....that man, Adam rebelled. Because of sin from that first Adam, we will suffer eternal separation from God. However...the Creator of the universe humbled Himself upon the cross as a mediator for us. We can accept His gift of forgiveness, purpose of life and eternal life.

6days

Barbarian said:
6days said:
science continues showing Darwinian beliefs are incorrect.

I'm guessing you didn't include any support for that belief, because you can't think of one right now.

Sheesh... How long of a list would you like? Lets start with evolutionists beliefs about Neandertals that science proved was wrong..

Evolutionists portrayed them as dimwitted, stooped over carnivorous*hairy beasts, incapable of speech, no culture, not capable of breeding with humans, ETC ETC. Science proved evolutionists were totally wrong.... and that creationists were correct....We are all one blood.*

Barbarian said:
I was just out in a marsh a few weeks ago, and it happened to me, as it does so often, when I'm alone in His creation. On the shore, under a tree, a heron had just speared a small fish. As I went by, he froze under a willow, in some reeds, and for a moment, the invisible things, clearly seen were open to me. It is a moment of profound worship, and it is only heightened by knowing some of the details of creation.

Fantastic!! :) Although we disagree on other things it is great that we both can praise the Creator.

Barbarian said:
6days said:
What can be directly observed is processes such as adaptation, natural selection, genetic drift etc...all processes which fit Biblical creation model.
*No. None of those are Biblical, and creationists never mentioned them until science revealed them.

At times it seems you are desperate to prove God's Word wrong. Science is consistent with the creation account in Genesis. Edward Blythe, a scientist and Biblical wrote about natural selection long before Darwin did.

And your statement is silliness. It would be akin to me saying evolutionists never mentioned natural selection until science revealed it.

Barbarian said:
6days said:
God created our universe in an orderly fashion that makes science possible. Many...likely the majority of scientists who are considered fathers of modern science believed that the Bible was literally true.

Not Eratosthenes, nor Democritus, nor Newton, nor Kepler, nor Einstein. When he wrote*The Origin of SpeciesDarwin did of course, but he later became an agnostic.

First of all...Darwin... You might be correct, but I'm not sure he ever accepted that God's Word was literally correct? *I certainly know of no statement where he professed Christ as his savior.

Anyways... Many of the fathers of modern science DID believe God's Word as truth...
Stephen Snobelen, Assistant Professor of History of Science and Technology..."Here is a final paradox. Recent work on early modern science has demonstrated a direct (and positive) relationship between the resurgence of the Hebraic, literal exegesis of the Bible in the Protestant Reformation, and the rise of the empirical method in modern science.

Peter Harrison, a non creationist wrote 'The Bible, Protestantism, and the rise of natural science'

P.8 .While I do not wish to be seen as setting out a monocausal thesis for the rise of modern science, for there is no reason why a range of factors should not play some role, yet I shall argue that of these factors by far the most significant was the literalist mentality initiated by the Protestant reformers, and sponsored by their successors

P.122*With the new biblical literalism which followed in the wake of the Reformation, many portions of scripture were read for the first time as having, as their primary sense, history. The significance of narrative passages of the Bible now lay in the fact that they recounted things which had happened hundreds or thousands of years ago.Whereas the accounts of creation in the book of Genesis had previously provided scope for the imaginations of exegetes given to allegory, now the significance of these stories was seen to lie in their literal truth as depicting past events.

P.205 The literal approach to texts which became increasingly dominant in the sixteenth century had the consequence that objects in the natural world could no longer be regarded as signs. As a result, those who believed that the Deity had imposed a particular order on the cosmos moved their attention away from the symbolic functions of objects and focused instead on the ways in which the things of nature might play somepractical role in human welfare.As we saw in the previous chapter, the scientific investigation of nature in the seventeenth century was motivated to a large degree by the necessity to find uses for the numerous objects which had hitherto derived their purpose and place in the cosmos by acting as signs or symbols.*The literalist mentality which effected these transformations, it need hardly be said, also had important implications for the way in which the Bible was read. Certain passages of scripture, when taken in their plain or historical sense, were also to have profound influence on the development of the scientific approach to the natural world.

Or...

Evolutionary anthropologistLoren Eiseley said "The philosophy of experimental science … began its discoveries and made use of its methods in the faith, not the knowledge, that it was dealing with a rational universe controlled by a creator who did not act upon whim nor interfere with the forces He had set in operation… It is surely one of the curious paradoxes of history that science, which professionally has little to do with faith, owes its origins to an act of faith that the universe can be rationally interpreted, and that science today is sustained by that assumption"

6days

Barbarian said:
6days said:
For example in genetics the same prediction can often be made based on common designer or common ancestor.

No. For example, the problem of broken genes in closely related organisms is an insoluble puzzle for creationism, but makes perfect sense in light of evolution

Your beliefs in evolutionism trump evidence and science.

Barbarian said:
Luther and Calvin correctly asserted that interpreting the Bible in a strictly literal sense would rule out the Earth moving at all.

Of course...In any literature you understand if the author is using a figure of speech, or telling a true story. The Bible has poetry, parables, provebs, prophecy history etc. Genesis is told as history and accepted as history throughout the Bible.
Speaking of Luther... He said "When Moses writes that God created heaven and earth and whatever is in them in six days, then let this period continue to have been six days, and do not venture to devise any comment according to which six days were one day. But, if you cannot understand how this could have been done in six days, then grant the Holy Spirit the honor of being more learned than you are. For you are to deal with Scripture in such a way that you bear in mind that God Himself says what is written. But since God is speaking, it is not fitting for you to wantonly turn His Word in the direction you wish it to go.”

Barbarian said:
6days said:
As a Christian, why not accept that God's Word is truth...

It is. It's just not compatible with Creationism. For example, Genesis rules out the "life ex nihilo" doctrine of YE creationism.

You might want to understand what the Bible*says before you start making arguments. For example God's Word says "Then the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground. He breathed the breath of life into the man's nostrils, and the man became a living person"

Barbarian said:
6days said:
And that "broken genes" are evidence of the Biblical account.

No. The Bible says nothing about that.

If a gene is truly broken (Evolutionists assumed many were but science has been finding their is regulatory function... as if by design)... Anyways... The Bible DOES say something about that and in quite a few different verses. God's perfect creation has been corrupted. (Romans*8:22*as example)

Barbarian said:
6days said:
*Also genetic reaearch is now finding many of these "broken genes" are not broken at all but serve important purposes.

Show me what the vitamin C gene in primates is for.

Evolutionists believe it is for vitamin C. It may be...or it may be just another false conclusion of evolutionists. I debated quite recently (I think with JoseFly on the GULO gene). Here is some info on it for you...

http://truthmatters.info/dr-max-on-vitamin-c-and-plagiarism/

Barbarian said:
In fact, nothing God has told us contradicts evolution
If that is true then you believe Jesus created the universe and all life in 6 days....that He created Adam from dust...Eve was created from a rib...and that creation was perfect until man sinned. You believe that the last Adam is only necessary because of a literal first sin from the first Adam. And you believe the geneaologies connecting first Adam to Last Adam.

Barbarian said:
6days said:
For example it (evolutionism) puts death before sin.

Now, that's an equivocation. The "death" God told Adam about in the Garden was not a physical death, but a spiritual one that did not appear before sin. We know this, because God told Adam he would die the day he ate from the tree, but Adam lives on physically for many years after.

haaha... Nice try on a logical fallacy but you didn't quite nail it.

The death referred to for sin is both spiritual AND physical. As you suggest the spiritual death was immediate. Adam and Eve were spiritually dead immediately. But the passage also refers to a physical death. The Hebrew is translated best as 'dying, you shall die'. It refers to the process of physical death. Physical death as a punishment for sin, is referred to in other verses in the Bible. It is part of Gods curse on creation...

Genesis 3:19*
"By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return"

Also, the idea of physical death as punishment is sprinkled throughout thr gospel. *For example...

1 Corinthians 15:26
"The last enemy that will be destroyed is death"

If physical death was not a result of sin, then Christ would not have had to physically die.*

When Christians compromise on the clear teaching in Genesis, they then must compromise on the gospel.*

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by Barbarian
"equivocation" means... "the use of ambiguous langage to hide something."

That's a pretty good definition.

Yep, and next you did it:

You understand..... Oops spoke too soon, because next up.....

Barbarian observes:
If you mean change in allele frequency, then say what you mean.
That's what evolution is. I thought you knew; you talked as though you were familiar with the theory.

You again equivocate...

Nope. You were the one that tried to muddle it with changes in music and so on. That's what equivocation is. I'm merely telling you what it means in biology.

If you don't like the definition, that's O.K., but pretending that it's something else is not O.K.

Biblical creationists and the Creationist model accept there is a change in allele frequency.

In fact, many creationists have since retreated to the admission that new species are produced by the process. But they don't want to call that "evolution."

It's like saying that airplanes are impossible, but piper cubs are perfectly possible.

However we do not accept the 'goo to you' belief.

That's good. Neither does evolutionary theory. It's about the way living populations change over time. The "goo to you" is a creationist idea.

Change in allele frequency is observable science.

Of course, it's what accounts for speciation, and ultimately, common descent.

Goo to you is fantasy.

Of course, it's your equivocation, using the word ' evolution' describing both science and creationist fantasy.

Barbarian observes:
That could be easily falsified. For example, if flies and dogs were genetically more alike than dogs and horses, it would falsify the notion of a common ancestor.

Using your logic... creationism is also falsifiable.

Barbarian suggests:
Could be, if they made testable predictions before the fact was known. I don't know of any examples right off, but maybe some exist. Tell us about them.

Fallacy of moving the goalposts...

Nope. Just asking if you know of any such predictions. Apparently not. Neither does anyone else. But there might be some. Maybe someone can help you out, there.

..common designer beliefs would be falsified if flies and dogs were genetically more alike than dogs and horses.

Nope. We know it works, because we can test it on organisms of known descent. But there is no case of design working that way. Indeed, engineers are borrowing from evolution to solve problems that are not possible with design. Genetic algorithms are the demonstration that God knows better than the creationists.
Barbarian observes:

Nope. For example, the advocates of "common design" claim that platypuses are like ducks because they have a superficially similarly-shape set of mouthparts. They seem completely unconcerned that the platypus is genetically much more closely related to other mammals than to any bird.

What is your point?

Makes no sense at all from a "common designer" standpoint. But the fact that it's transitional between therapsid reptiles and modern mammals is a prediction of evolutionary theory.

The platypus is a very unique and highly complex creature that God created.

True. You just don't approve of the way He did it.

Barbarian continues...
Moreover, when a bit of heme (fraction of a hemoglobin molecule) was found in dinosaur bone (some organic molecules can survive for millions of years in anoxic conditions) the heme was most like that of a bird, and unlike that of modern reptiles.

Which makes no sense at all to creationism, but was a prediction of science.

That soft tissue is being regularly found in dinosaur bones

...is a creationist fantasy. Heme is just a piece of a larger molecule. The hemoglobin in the blood didn't survive, and tissue certainly didn't. (tissues are assemblages of cells that perform a certain function). But the fact that the heme of theropod dinosaurs is very like the heme of birds is a prediction of evolutionary theory. The prediction of kinship of bird and dinosaurs goes back to the 1800s.

Some organic molecules have decay rates of millions of years in anoxic environments. Hemoglobin obviously does, but some of the heme survived.

Half life*DNA studies suggest evolutionary beliefs are hopelessly flawed.

Show us.

(Just like their faulty conclusions about coelacanths**going extinct 65 million years ago.)

You've been misled about that, too. Every now and then a cryptic species is found. But it just means that the line survived longer than we thought. The genus of surviving coelacanths is unknown in the fossil record, BTW. They have evolved considerably since the last known fossil.

Yes, evolutionists are scrambling TRYING to make evidence fit their beliefs...Maybe iron preserved the soft tissue? .

See above. You've been misled.

Creationist prediction... Carbon dating will find radiocarbon in the soft tissue.

Should be. Wherever there is nitrogen and any background radiation, there will be a slow production of C-14 from nitrogen, which would be present in heme. However, I'd expect it to be very close to the 50,000 year mark, which is the current limit of resolution for the technique.

(Barbarian checks)

Yep. It's been done. Traces of C-14 consistent with the slow production from nitrogen. Ionizing radiation produces C-14 from nitrogen, but so little that it only produces results close to the limit of the test.

We see it in diamonds, too, because most of them contain nitrogen in the crystal lattice, and like many fossil deposits, there are small amounts of uranium and thorium.

Re your comment "heme was most like that of a bird, and unlike that of modern reptiles". Again I suspect you are trying to sell your beliefs.

It's just a fact. And another prediction of evolutionary theory confirmed. You forgot to tell us about any of those predictions of creationism, that weren't already known when the "prediction" was made. Haven't found any yet?

Blood vessels, connective tissue and cells*found in dinosaur bones is amazing evidence of recent creation...

Except, none of the debris so far, has actually shown any such things. There are some microscopic round things in the heme, but no one can show that they are cells. It's like those little microscopic round things found in some Martian rocks; they might be cells, but no one can show that they are.

Similarities*in blood vessels, cells and connective tissue*describe what would be expected in most amphibians, reptiles, birds and even mammals.

But as you learned, no feathers in amphibians, non-archosaur reptiles, or mammals. So we find those genes only in birds, and feathers only in birds and dinosaurs. Which is another confirmation of Huxley's prediction, based on skeletal anatomy in the 1800s.

Moreover, we find in some therapods, a bird respiratory system, just as predicted, and of course all those transitionals that are impossible to confidently classify as birds or dinosaurs.

Barbarian observes:
Nope. In fact, Mendel cleared up a serious problem for Darwin's theory. You see, Darwin was unable to explain how, if heredity was like mixing paint, how a new change could spread in a population. It would be like mixing a drop of red paint in a barrel of white. But Mendel showed that heredity was like sorting beads, and it became immediately clear how Darwin's theory was correct.

I think you had too many fruit loops for breakfast this morning

Pretty stunning, um? There's a lot of things involved, that creationists don't want you to know. Genetics, and specifically Mendel's discoveries are why modern evolutionary theory is based on Darwin's theory.

Mendel of course knew about Darwins beliefs, but he certainly did not accept Darwins*beliefs of*descent with modification.

You're wrong about that. He greatly admired Darwin, and even sent his paper on factors to him. It's in Darwin's papers, but unfortunately, it appears that Darwin (who received many, many papers from others) never actually read it. Too bad, it would have saved him a lot of concern about a very real objection to his theory at the time.

Modern geneticists such as John Sanford and James S. Allan were atheists... claimed to live and breath evolutionism, are now convinced that genetics proves evolutionism is impossible.

Sanford now worships the ID designer, who some of them say could be a "space alien." But it's instructive that he abandoned science when he accepted that new religion.

Last time I checked, using the Discovery Institute's list of "scientists who doubt Darwin" and the list from Project Steve, about 0.3% of scientists with doctorates in biology or a related field, doubt evolutionary theory. The bandwagon argument is a very bad one for creationists to use.

While Linnaeus used observable science, Darwin...not knowing genetics, extrapolated that maybe one kind can evolve into another kind.

Barbarian observes:
And a great number of predictions, based on that theory, such as fish with functional legs, whales with functional legs, transitionals between humans and apes, feathered dinosaurs, and so on, have been confirmed to be true. This is why scientists overwhelmingly accept it.

Pfttttt. Now I know you were into those fruit loops. You believe in science fiction.

These are all facts. Pick one and I'll show you.

Whales don't have functional legs.

But early ones did. And that's all that counts.

Just like evolutionists believed coelacanths had legs

You've been misled about that. They have the same bones that tetrapods have, but they are not evolved to become legs. That was in a different line. No biologist ever thought coelacanths had legs. But there were fish, confined to water, who did. Would you like to learn about that?

There are no transitional fossils between humans and apes.

Well, let's take a look...
pelvis.jpg

mamifero2.jpg

Surprised? A lot of people are. It's a remarkable fact that we are very, very close to Australopithecines below the neck. Almost all human evolution from the early hominens has been in the skull, teeth, and jaws.

Feathered dinosaurs?? Possibly but certainly no compelling evidence.

You've been misled about that, too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feathered_dinosaur

(Feathers are great evidence of our designer)

Nope. Just evidence of common descent. Why would a designer put pinnate feathers on things that didn't fly?

Barbarian observes:
Creationism is a belief in the sense that people believe in leprechauns.

Actually it is the belief that God's Word is absolute truth

No. The YE creationism belief of life ex nihilo, for example is in contradiction his word. Creationism is a peculiar reinterpretation of God's word.

Status
Not open for further replies.