ECT Comments from an ex-charismatic preacher

themuzicman

If you spoke in tongues why do you need to understand what is being said when praying "in the Spirit without understanding" being given to you? Who are you that God needs to explain Himself?

Actually, Paul is the one who says that tongues should be spoken in an orderly manner, one at a time, two or at most three, and there MUST be an interpreter. That's right out of 1 Corinthians 14. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should remain silent.

If your tongues aren't being interpreted, then you're doing it wrong, and odds are it isn't from God.

Your argument is with the Word of God.

Cross Reference

Actually, Paul is the one who says that tongues should be spoken in an orderly manner, one at a time, two or at most three, and there MUST be an interpreter. That's right out of 1 Corinthians 14. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should remain silent.

If your tongues aren't being interpreted, then you're doing it wrong, and odds are it isn't from God.

Your argument is with the Word of God.

"He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church"
1 Corinthians 14:4 (KJV)

Interpretation:

"He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself, but he who prophesies [interpreting the divine will and purpose and teaching with inspiration] edifies and improves the church and promotes growth [in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness, and happiness]". 1 Corinthians 14:4 (AMP)

"For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.' 1 Corinthians 14:14-15 (KJV)

That is the rest of the Word of God you fail to mention . .just to be right..

Now where do you want to go with this?

themuzicman

"He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church"
1 Corinthians 14:4 (KJV)

Interpretation:

"He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself, but he who prophesies [interpreting the divine will and purpose and teaching with inspiration] edifies and improves the church and promotes growth [in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness, and happiness]". 1 Corinthians 14:4 (AMP)

"For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.' 1 Corinthians 14:14-15 (KJV)

That is the rest of the Word of God you fail to mention . .just to be right..

Now where do you want to go with this?

You've picked out a few verses while ignoring the context. First, Paul clearly states in 1 Corinthians 12 that spiritual gifts are for the building up of the Body.

1 Cor 12:7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.

Thus, when Paul speaks of "self-edification", he isboth addressing what the Corinthians have asked regarding tongues (self-edification), and pointing out that this is not how spiritual gifts are to be used.

He also makes this clear by what follows:

but he that prophesieth edifieth the church

He is contrasting the inappropriate (self-edification) and the appropriate (edifying the Church).

Continuing on:

For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

This is a clear picture of tongues being interpreted. He's saying that speaking in tongues without interpretation is incorrect.

And continuing:

16 Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying

Again, leaving out the edification of the body in tongues speaking is incorrect.

And at the end of all of this, Paul's instruction is clear:

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; 28 but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God.

Paul's instruction is clear.

themuzicman

It certainly is. You need to quit screwing around with it. It is all there in blk that needs no commentary by anyone.

It's right here:

1 Cor 14:27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

As long as all your tongues speaking is interpreted, you're good.

themuzicman

No, I didn't. I told you!

That is just another instance of you mis-representing the words of others.

1 Cor 14:27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

Does Paul not clearly state that tongues should be interpreted, and if there is not an interpreter, the speaker should remain silent?

ZacharyB

I mean uninterpreted tongues.
1 Corinthians 14 makes it clear that all tongues
are to be interpreted by a human being.
Okay, you are very understandably confused about this.
1 Cor 14 is ONLY referring to a church setting.
What happens outside in one's personal relationship
with God is a totally different matter entirely!

ZacharyB

CR, you rarely make sense
Makes NO sense to you because ...
he has been baptized with the Holy Spirit, and you have not been!
Makes a huge difference.
ALL of the NT church leaders (Eph 4:11) had what you do not have.
And ALL of these dudes had one or more of the 9 spiritual power gifts
listed in 1 Cor 12.

Your confusion about many things is perfectly understandable.
You are supposed to be instructed by anointed people like those in Eph 4:11.
But, since the western church is garbage, thou hast not been.

Cross Reference

Makes a huge difference.
listed in 1 Cor 12.

He needs to makes sense out of what Paul wrote, not me. But his lack is where allegiance to Calvin has altered his thinking to perdition in his understanding the written word.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Makes a huge difference.
listed in 1 Cor 12.

Western church?? What country do you reside in??

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Makes a huge difference.
listed in 1 Cor 12.

:rotfl: