ECT Can God be tempted?

SonOfCaleb

How is it that Adam was tempted, not by God but by the devil?

How is it that Jesus was tempted, not by God but by the devil?

Because the Devil stands in direct oposition to God. He doesnt want anyone to worship God. Rather he wants the worship that is Gods alone by right to be directed to him instead.

All God requires from his servants is obedience. As you've rightly noted Adam was tempted by Satan not by God. God gave Adam a simple instruction not to eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Bad. Adam CHOOSE not to obey. The same way the Devil CHOOSE to rebel and disobey by not following Gods divine arrangement. The same way Jesus CHOOSE to obey God, and as a perfect man -the same as Adam- and under extraordinary conditions remained faithful until death.

God doesnt tempt anyone. He's incorruptable and not even capable of sinning. In fact Gods commmand in Deuteronomy 6:16 which Jesus qouted when being tempted by Satan says "You must not put Jehovah your God to the test..". Thus its clear from this verse that temptation is a tactic the Devil uses and is not one that Jehovah uses on his faithful servants, nor does he himself expect to be be tempted or put to the test.

Cross Reference

Because the Devil stands in direct oposition to God. He doesnt want anyone to worship God. Rather he wants the worship that is Gods alone by right to be directed to him instead.

All God requires from his servants is obedience. As you've rightly noted Adam was tempted by Satan not by God. God gave Adam a simple instruction not to eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Bad. Adam CHOOSE not to obey. The same way the Devil CHOOSE to rebel and disobey by not following Gods divine arrangement. The same way Jesus CHOOSE to obey God, and as a perfect man -the same as Adam- and under extraordinary conditions remained faithful until death.

God doesnt tempt anyone. He's incorruptable and not even capable of sinning. In fact Gods commmand in Deuteronomy 6:16 which Jesus qouted when being tempted by Satan says "You must not put Jehovah your God to the test..". Thus its clear from this verse that temptation is a tactic the Devil uses and is not one that Jehovah uses on his faithful servants, nor does he himself expect to be be tempted or put to the test.

What is your take on this: "And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me." Genesis 22:12 (KJV)

SonOfCaleb

Should I hold my breath waiting for you to explain how it is you say that with such certainty? . . ;)

The scripture you qouted shows quite clearly Jesus and God are not the same, as how can God be tempted.... The Trinity doctrine can be debunked Biblically as well as secularly. Im not going to get into that discussion as its been done ad nauseum on this board. If you search through my previous posts though you'll see ample evidence why Jesus and God are NOT the same person. For the sake of answering you very briefly i'll give you two passages. John baptized Jesus in Jordan. Verse 17 tells us their was a voice from Heaven. Whose voice was it? Was Jesus speaking to himself...I'l let you judge.

Matthew 2:13-17 "13 Then Jesus came from Galʹi·lee to the Jordan to John, in order to be baptized by him. 14 But the latter tried to prevent him, saying: “I am the one who needs to be baptized by you, and are you coming to me?” 15 Jesus replied to him: “Let it be this time, for in that way it is suitable for us to carry out all that is righteous.” Then he quit preventing him. 16 After being baptized, Jesus immediately came up from the water; and look! the heavens were opened up, and he saw God’s spirit descending like a dove and coming upon him. 17 Look! Also, a voice from the heavens said: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved".

Stephen when stoned saw a vision of God in heaven with Jesus at Acts 7:55-56:-

"But he, being full of holy spirit, gazed into heaven and caught sight of God’s glory and of Jesus standing at God’s right hand, 56 and he said: “Look! I see the heavens opened up and the Son of man standing at God’s right hand".

Its abdundantly clear those verses are talking about two seperate individuals.

SonOfCaleb

What is your take on this: "And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me." Genesis 22:12 (KJV)

God wasn't tempting Abraham, we know this because he didnt allow Issac to be killed. Rather he was testing Abrahams faith and obedience. Abraham by being obedient and faithful was blessed immensely along with his offspring who became Gods own personal nation.

Cross Reference

God wasn't tempting Abraham, we know this because he didnt allow Issac to be killed. Rather he was testing Abrahams faith and obedience. Abraham by being obedient and faithful was blessed immensely along with his offspring who became Gods own personal nation.

Temptation = testing, trial, proving While it is true, God does not tempt, He allows the devil to to witness the results: "Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil." Matthew 4:1 (KJV) If not to prove by testing and trial made to the flesh of Jesus as it was Abraham, then why?

SonOfCaleb

Temptation = testing, trial, proving While it is true, God does not tempt, He allows the devil to to witness the results: "Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil." Matthew 4:1 (KJV) If not to prove by testing and trial made to the flesh of Jesus as it was Abraham, then why?

Jesus entire existence on Earth from the time he was a small child right up until his death he was 'tested' by the Devil. The Devil wanted him to sin. If Jesus had sinned his sacrifice and sole purpose of coming to the Earth to prove Satan is a liar would have been been invalid.

Cross Reference

Jesus entire existence on Earth from the time he was a small child right up until his death he was 'tested' by the Devil.

1. I wouldn't disagree else why would God say for the only time recorded for us: "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased", when Jesus was baptized by John? 30 yrs of learning and testing only to have it more intensly applied after He is Baptised with the Holy Spirit? See Matt and Luke 4:1.

The Devil wanted him to sin. If Jesus had sinned his sacrifice and sole purpose of coming to the Earth to prove Satan is a liar would have been been invalid.

2. True! So why say Jesus was not allowed by God to be tempted for the purpose of proving Him? . . .and was left completely alone in the process to reveal His metal [of Himself]to the satisfaction of God?

What makes this any different than with Abraham?

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
1. I wouldn't disagree else why would God say for the only time recorded for us: "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased", when Jesus was baptized by John? 30 yrs of learning and testing only to have it more intensly applied after He is Baptised with the Holy Spirit? See Matt and Luke 4:1.

2. True! So why say Jesus was not allowed by God to be tempted for the purpose of proving Him? . . .and was left completely alone in the process to reveal His metal [of Himself]to the satisfaction of God?

I'm going to expound in light of David... It's becoming more clear to me, but in the mean time, I'm actually expounding on what you are saying from a different angle in the Law vs Grace feed.

SonOfCaleb

You misunderstood me as i never said
"Jesus was not allowed by God to be tempted for the purpose of proving Him"
. He obviousy was as evidenced by the account(s) in the gospels when he was led away into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil. Jesus when on Earth was flesh after all, and as the Bible says the entire Earth is "Laying in the hands of the wicked one".
What i said, and i repeat, God as in Jehovah NOT Jesus cannot be tempted and likewise as Deuteronomy says should not be put to the test. God is incapable of sinning. He is incorruptable. ALL creation created in his and mans image, EG mankind and spirits ARE capable of sinning. There's, just like Jesus is to CHOOSE NOT to sin and thus to obey.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Can God be tempted?

I'm going to expound in light of David... It's becoming more clear to me, but in the mean time, I'm actually expounding on what you are saying from a different angle in the Law vs Grace feed.

So, to expound on this with scripture would take a book.

I'm going to free hand this and challenge any to Scripture check my work.

David, a man after God's heart............

David was a man of faith above all things.

David was a man who fought against oppressive people's to free the merciful from the clutches of the merciless.

David was a sinner.

David Loved God's law, but placed His faith on The Rock.

The rock is the biggest OT reference to Christ.

1 Corinthians 10Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Warnings from Israel’s Past
10 Now I want you to know, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. 3 They all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from a spiritual rock that followed them, and that rock was Christ. 5 But God was not pleased with most of them, for they were struck down in the wilderness.

David refers to the Rock prolifically in the Psalms.

David was so bloody in his dealings with other nations that he was revoked from building the temple.

David was a man given unto lust. Blood lust and lust of beauty.

One word for this.....

Bathsheba.

Not to be crude, but only his son Solomon exceeded his weak spot for the female form. Yes Solomon married to extend his borders, but it was clear he wanted more than just peace within his borders.

David trusted that God would slay Goliath by his faith.

He used a Rock to do this.

Think of Goliath as the devil and the rock as Jesus.

So how did this imperfect man find favor in Jesus/YHWH?

By relinquishing his faith in himself and exalting God as his friend in such a manner that he knew Gods decisions were good, Gods corrections were good, but only God was good.

David drew His strength from the goodness of God and gave all glory to God for anything good in His life. He even trusted God when things were bad.

David drew his strength from love, grace and the goodness of God. David knew God as if He had met Jesus in physical form and succeeded by this and this alone.

David was a man that admitted he was a man, and found grace in God to sustain his deep purpose in Gods plan.

For The Rock, Jesus, manifested Himself through a lineage that went through his adopted father Joseph and his biological mother Mary.

David is the picture of fallen man clinging to the exalted Rock, or stone that the builders rejected.

Note that Absolam was David's son that eventually lusted after David's kingdom and sought to overthrow his kingdom, yet David wept at Absolams death!!!!

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Can God be tempted? How is it that Jesus was?

I answered from the perspective of David.

As for this question... I will have to answer it in two places.

To be immediate.

I believe Gods temptation was to leave the law in place and be amongst us as our King while his anointed guardian cherub still had a place in His kingdom. I see Absolam as the Devil.

He wanted to overthrow God and hold power over Gods kingdom through the law.

More specifically, the 3 temptations of Christ really come to light when spiritually cross referenced with the entire bible.

way 2 go

What is the purpose of temptation especially if God dwlares He cannot be tempted?
I don't understand that question ▲

Can God be tempted to sin ? no

". . . your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years."
Hebrews 3:9 (KJV)

But then we must deal with this:

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
James 1:13 (KJV)

Hebrews 3:9 was God tempted to sin ? no

James 1:13 Does God tempt people to sin ? no

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Can God be tempted?

I don't understand that question ▲

Hebrews 3:9 was God tempted to sin ? no

James 1:13 Does God tempt people to sin ? no

But the 3 temptations of Christ show the attempt to tempt God.

Turn these stones to bread.... As this refers to Moses specifically in Origin.

Exodus 34:28Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

28 Moses was there with the Lord 40 days and 40 nights; he did not eat bread or drink water. He wrote the Ten Commandments, the words of the covenant, on the tablets.

More specifically, this goes further:

As Jesus is tempted to jump from the tabernacle pinochle.

The Angels could have been there, by Christ's command, and would have gloriously revealed that Jesus was God, however the act would have been a self glorifying act and it would have opened Jesus up to condemnation, and relegated His coming to only the Jews...

Especially significant in the light of the fact that Jesus sought to show us that God alone prevails against evil, and sought to teach us that He was relying on Himself outside of His flesh to overcome evil. This is in direct opposition to Him using His flesh to overcome evil.

The bowing before the devil temptation shows that the devil indeed had dominion by God over all in the world.

Paul reveals how this was through the law.

To expound on HAD dominion through the law

1 Cor 2

2 When I came to you, brothers, announcing the testimony[a] of God to you, I did not come with brilliance of speech or wisdom. 2 For I didn’t think it was a good idea to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 My speech and my proclamation were not with persuasive words of wisdom but with a powerful demonstration by the Spirit, 5 so that your faith might not be based on men’s wisdom but on God’s power.

Spiritual Wisdom
6 However, we do speak a wisdom among the mature, but not a wisdom of this age, or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7 On the contrary, we speak God’s hidden wisdom in a mystery, a wisdom God predestined before the ages for our glory. 8 None of the rulers of this age knew this wisdom, for if they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But as it is written:

Also 1 Cor 15

Victorious Resurrection
50 Brothers, I tell you this: Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, and corruption cannot inherit incorruption. 51 Listen! I am telling you a mystery:

We will not all fall asleep,
but we will all be changed,
52 in a moment, in the blink of an eye,
at the last trumpet.
For the trumpet will sound,
and the dead will be raised incorruptible,
and we will be changed.
53 For this corruptible must be clothed
with incorruptibility,
and this mortal must be clothed
with immortality.
54 When this corruptible is clothed
with incorruptibility,
and this mortal is clothed
with immortality,
then the saying that is written will take place:
Death has been swallowed up in victory.[o]
55 Death, where is your victory?
Death, where is your sting?[p]
56 Now the sting of death is sin,
and the power of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory
through our Lord Jesus Christ!

Col 2

8 Be careful that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit based on human tradition, based on the elemental forces of the world, and not based on Christ. 9 For the entire fullness of God’s nature dwells bodily[c] in Christ, 10 and you have been filled by Him, who is the head over every ruler and authority. 11 You were also circumcised in Him with a circumcision not done with hands, by putting off the body of flesh, in the circumcision of the Messiah.[d] 12 Having been buried with Him in baptism, you were also raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And when you were dead in trespasses and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive with Him and forgave us all our trespasses. 14 He erased the certificate of debt, with its obligations, that was against us and opposed to us, and has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the cross. 15 He disarmed the rulers and authorities and disgraced them publicly; He triumphed over them by Him.[

Cross Reference

Law vs grace is irrelevant and otherwise only serves to complicate what otherwise is not difficult to understand.

Over and above what you have stated you overlook the fact that Jesus was the second Adam. He could NOT be called that if he was not excactly as Adam was, i.e., born innocent to be made holy. Adam failed, Jesus didn't. How, as a man, He performed it is why we need be concerned.

Secondly, He needed not be anything more than that nor could have been in order to cancel out Adam's transgression. Yes, there were rules that had to be adhered to and were being observed by the angels for the satisfaction of all concerned, even Satan. Battles were being fought in the heavenlies and still are being fought in this regard that now are for the souls of men who have sworn their allegiance to God just as Jesus did to win the victory. The fact that Jesus won the victory means we too can win it unto son-ship in the Father for Jesus "blazed the trail" that makes it possible with protection given Him is now given those born again of the same Spirit that indwelt Him.