calling Pope Father.. Jesus used term "Father Abraham"

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Straw Man Fallacy.

Back to Post #16. My statements stand exactly as posted.
Really? God says do not bow before a statue. Do Catholics bow before any statue for any reason?

Jesus says call no man Father for you only have one Father. Do Catholics call any man father based solely on that mans position within the RCC?

If you cannot say unequivocally no to either of those question I have not created a straw man.

Cruciform

So, in RCC tradition, when God says no, He really means yes.
In this case, it is "yes" under certain specific circumstances, and "no" under others. No doubt, however, it is just easier---and involves less actual thinking---for you to simply ignore the literary context altogether.

I suggest you enroll in a Remedial Literacy class immediately.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
In this case, it is "yes" under certain specific circumstances, and "no" under others. No doubt, however, it is just easier---and involves less actual thinking---for you to simply ignore the literary context altogether.

I suggest you enroll in a Remedial Literacy class immediately.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
I don't know how much clearer God or Jesus could have said it.

Exodus 20:4-5 4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Matthew 23:9 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

Tell me, If your Dad had told you that you shall not go to a party and you went anyway reasoning that your Dad didn't mean that specific party, would he have been pleased with you going?

oatmeal

Why the big deal over...

again: WORDS.

The liberals are into words (as opposed to substance.. as opposed to ACTION against the evils in the world)

example: "racist!" (every time conservative persons says something liberal doesn't like..)

etc

The anti-Catholics make a HUGE deal out of .. words

namely: calling the Pope Father..

but Jesus used term "Father Abraham" in a parable

and there are other instances in the Bible of "mere men" being called Father b/c they had authority..

In the end, words are just words... True, words have some level of power (depending...) but Come on... Let's attack some REAL problems..

_

Abraham was literally a father of several children

Which priests, bishops, cardinals and popes are literally fathers of children? Which ones are publicly declaring that?

God's Truth

Abraham was literally a father of several children

Which priests, bishops, cardinals and popes are literally fathers of children? Which ones are publicly declaring that?

That is an excellent point. All the Jews were blood related to their father Abraham.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Your attempted False Analogy requires no response, and may simply be ignored. Try again.

What is false about it? God said not to do something but you do it anyway. I just want to know if your Dad would be okay with you doing something he had specifically said not to do. I'm wondering if you'd be equally comfortable ignoring your Dad as you are ignoring God.

Cruciform

What is false about it?
It allows for no more context than does the single isolated verse you like to yank out of its immediate---not to mention broader canonical---context and try to apply as some sort of universal linguistic formula. Matthew 23:9 is contained within an overall literary and doctrinal context that you mindlessly insist on utterly ignoring, a sure indication of a fundamental biblical illiteracy as well as a basic doctrinal immaturity on your part.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It allows for no more context than does the single isolated verse you like to yank out of its immediate---not to mention broader canonical---context and try to apply as some sort of universal linguistic formula. Matthew 23:9 is contained within an overall literary and doctrinal context that you mindlessly insist on utterly ignoring, a sure indication of a fundamental biblical illiteracy as well as a basic doctrinal immaturity on your part.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

I quoted all scripture on context and provided the appropriate cites.

Contextually, the are very similar. Both your Dad and God are authority figures in your life, albeit at different times. It's a fairly simple question, why do you work so hard to avoid answering it?

I'll answer it. If my Dad said don't go to a party and I went, I would be in big trouble. It would not matter who told me it was okay with my Dad to go, I disobeyed him and I would have been punished.

Dona Bate

Really? God says do not bow before a statue. Do Catholics bow before any statue for any reason? [/QOUTE]I've seen many many Protestant and Catholics bowing before statues... Mostly doing their gardening while sometimes praying for the weather to hold. But that's ok nobody in their right mind would ever accuse anybody of worshiping those little garden gnomes.

Jesus says call no man Father for you only have one Father.
Were you ever the biological contributor to the creation of baby?

If so, on your childrens birth certificate what name did you enter under 'Father's Name'?

God Bless!