BRXII Battle talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I believe Jesus knows more about the afterlife than either of us......

If you choose to call someone unchristian because they see a deeper meaning in the story of the rich man and Lazarus then thats your call, do a search on Lazarus and see what it translates as, I happen to believe that Jesus manages to save the world as he declared, I'm sorry you dont....
I notice that you are not challenging my interpretation of the passage. There are several meanings in the teaching, but no hidden meaning. Jesus never hid His teachings. He wants us to understand.

red77

Why do you get to pick and choose when Lazarus is referring to a real person and when it isn't? That is the point he was making. You say it isn't referring to a real person here, but you don't say that when Jesus raises ANOTHER person named Lazarus from the dead. Or did Jesus not raise a real person from the dead? Is Lazarus ever used as a name in the Bible? In fact it is only your predisposition to deny the ACTUAL teaching of this parable that leads you to deny that this is a real person. Only by denying that, can you twist this Scripture to fit a Universalist interpretation!

Why do you get to pick and choose what gets to be interpreted as a parable and what isnt? The ONLY reason this is considered a literal event by ET'ers is because of the use of a name - and that name translates as "misery", whats more it falls apart as has been shown time and again to regard this as a literal event because of the suspension of belief one has to have to believe that a man can talk rationally while on fire!

red77

I notice that you are not challenging my interpretation of the passage. There are several meanings in the teaching, but no hidden meaning. Jesus never hid His teachings. He wants us to understand.

I said 'deeper meaning' not hidden, I already have challenged you on your interpretation of the passage, you believe it to be literal and wont acknowledge the illogic required to do so, thats up to you....

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
...as opposed to twisting it to fit an eternal torment interpretation.

You have yet to establish that theirs is correct and the only way acceptible.

26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

How do you interpret that as anything but a chasm you cannot cross?!?!

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I said 'deeper meaning' not hidden, I already have challenged you on your interpretation of the passage, you believe it to be literal and wont acknowledge the illogic required to do so, thats up to you....
You have not shown me anything illogical. You have an issue with somebody being able to speak when in agony. Jesus does not. Who should I believe?

Even setting that aside, Abraham is talking about the chasm, not the rich man. Apraham is not in agony and perfectly able to speak clearly and he describes the chasm. There is nothing illogical about that, is there?

red77

You have not shown me anything illogical. You have an issue with somebody being able to speak when in agony. Jesus does not. Who should I believe?

Even setting that aside, Abraham is talking about the chasm, not the rich man. Apraham is not in agony and perfectly able to speak clearly and he describes the chasm. There is nothing illogical about that, is there?

This is the point, it's more logical to take this as a parable than literal, why is that such a difficult concept to grasp? If you want to delude yourself into thinking that people who are literally on fire can form coherent sentences then go ahead.....

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
This is the point, it's more logical to take this as a parable than literal, why is that such a difficult concept to grasp? If you want to delude yourself into thinking that people who are literally on fire can form coherent sentences then go ahead.....
Okay, its a parable. So what changes? Abraham, who is not being tortured, is still speaking about a chasm that cannot be crossed. The rich man is stull suffering. Lazars is still in "heaven". A life of missery is rewarded and a life of greed is punished which is taught elsewhere is scripture.

I conceed that it is a prable and what changes? In fact, your position is weaker. In the real world, speaking while in agony is extreemly difficult, not impossible mind you, but difficult. In a parable it is much easier to accept since it is offered as an example, not a real person.

So you have your way and it is a parable. What changes?

BurntOffering

No that is a Lie! God created All which includes Evil and even Satan, for God's good cause. God's will will always be done, cause God's got it like dat.

Isa. 45:6 "That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is None beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and created darkness, I make peace and create evil; I the LORD do All these things.

Yeah the whole creation suffers in childbirth until I as Satan say unto you
Isa 42:14 "I have long time holden my peace; I have been still, and refrained myself; now will I cry like a travailing Woman; I will destroy and devour at once.

Isa 43:8 Bring forth the blind people that have eyes and the deaf that have ears. Let all the nations be gathered together and let the people be assembled; Who among them can declare this; and shew us former things? Let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justfied; or let them hear and say it is truth.

Now that sounds like a request to debate

PKevman

Universalism house of cards falls again!

Universalism house of cards falls again!

red77 said:
Why do you get to pick and choose what gets to be interpreted as a parable and what isnt?

But I don't. IF this were a parable it would be the ONLY parable that Jesus told in which SPECIFIC names are used. So the onus is again NOT on me to prove WHY it is not a parable. The onus is on YOU to prove why it is!

The ONLY reason this is considered a literal event by ET'ers is because of the use of a name -

And why do you think that is, Red? Could it be because it would be the ONLY parable in which a name is used? And the text says there was a "CERTAIN rich man" (emphasis mine). There was a CERTAIN rich man, and a CERTAIN beggar NAMED Lazarus. Sounds like real people to me!

and that name translates as "misery",

Actually the name in the Greek is the exact same name used of the Lazarus Jesus rose from the dead. Same name, different guy. And the meaning of the name is actually best translated into English as "The one that God helps"

whats more it falls apart as has been shown time and again to regard this as a literal event because of the suspension of belief one has to have to believe that a man can talk rationally while on fire

Talk rationally? In verse 23 it says that he was in torment.

In verse 24 it says “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’

Where you suspend rationality is trying to explain away the torture the man is going through and say that HE is talking RATIONALLY. The text clearly says he is CRYING OUT! In fact here is another word study for you, the Greek word for "cried" has in its meaning to call out loudly! It is in fact used of Jesus when He cries out "with a loud voice" in Luke 23:46. It is used of Paul in Acts 16:28 when he again "calls out with a loud voice". In Revelation 14:18 it is used of an angel who "Cried out with a loud voice". In every instance I see this word used in the New Testament, it always means to cry out with a loud voice. So in order to swallow your story that the man is talking rationally, we must ignore what this word "Cried" means in the text.

Further in verse 27 he is begging for mercy for his unsaved brothers.

Red77 can you provide proof that people in torment CANNOT cry in a loud voice and beg for mercy? If so please cite your source or else please stop making this argument because it doesn't work!

PKevman

burntoffering said:
God's will will always be done

1 Thessalonians 4:3 says that it is GOD'S WILL for people to abstain from sexual immorality.

Burntoffering: Do people refrain from sexual immorality in our culture today? Is God's will being done when people participate in sexual immorality?

BurntOffering

Well I can't speak for anybody else except for myself to say I refrain from sexual immorality because I am dedicated to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Plus quite frankly thats because there's no other man alive I trust. What people do is between them and God, and God knows their hearts.

Peace out

PKevman

Well I can't speak for anybody else except for myself to say I refrain from sexual immorality because I am dedicated to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Plus quite frankly thats because there's no other man alive I trust. What people do is between them and God, and God knows their hearts.

Peace out

Well that is great that you refrain from sexual immorality! I am glad to hear that. I really didn't ask that question though.

To refresh:

You said,
burntoffering said:
God's will will always be done

My question is this:

Burntoffering: Do people refrain from sexual immorality in our culture today? Is God's will being done when people participate in sexual immorality?

Redfin

My question is this:

PK, is it God's will to allow people to participate in sexual immorality and reap the consequences if they so choose?

PKevman

PK, is it God's will to allow people to participate in sexual immorality and reap the consequences if they so choose?

If they participate in sexual immorality they will reap the consequences in one way or another. Do you want to take a stab at answering the question I asked? Or must every discussion with Universalists go off track on every point. (sorry if I seem to be growing weary of this debate style).

Universalism also argues that God's will cannot be subverted and so they say that God wills all men to be saved. Red has said over and over again ad nauseum that he believes God will accomplish His will and all will be saved. So a simple question that should be able to receive a simple answer:

Do people refrain from sexual immorality in our culture today? Is God's will being done when people participate in sexual immorality?

How about just answering the question with an answer and not another question?

PKevman

My answer is also that it is NEVER God's will for people to participate in sexual immorality, and that everytime they do they are acting opposite to God's will for their lives!

Nineveh

Merely Christian
I'm not denying your participation, Nineveh. What I'm saying is you could not have repented without Him first drawing you.

I was always drawn. We all are. Things didn't change until I was willing to listen.

Knowing you better then you know yourself, He knew exactly what to do to be successful at granting you repentance. Loving everyone else as much as He does you, I believe He will do likewise with them (if not in this eon, then in a future one).

The Law convicted me. As it does everyone, "for all have sinned"....

That will be the same Law that those who reject Christ will be judged by. Your mere wish there is hope in the lake doesn't make it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.