Being politically correct harms Transgenders?

Lon

As if to be a voice of reason among the avalanche of public support, one medical doctor and psychologists comes out to say that transgender impulses are always more harmful than good, without bias as far as I can tell.
http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/06/15145/
Dr. Paul McHugh reports in this article that transgenders are 23x's more likely to kill themselves than any other teen.

He further says we do them no favors to accommodate them rather than treat underlying favors because in so doing, we guarantee they have a high mortality and an unhappy life, akin to encouraging smokers to have 4 packs a day.

John Hopkins, where Dr. McHugh works and is a professor, he says, no longer offers transgender operations since 1970 because there is no benefit but rather, huge endangerment and problematic issues.

He challenged our society to not bow to media and hype as we celebrate the Emperor's new clothing, because in so doing, we are causing more harm than good.

A voice of reason, caring, and actual concern crying in the wilderness?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What would one of God's spokesmen do when confronted by a man in high heels? What do you think he would say to him? Or Peter when full of the Holy Spirit?

Reactions: Lon

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
As if to be a voice of reason among the avalanche of public support, one medical doctor and psychologists comes out to say that transgender impulses are always more harmful than good, without bias as far as I can tell.
Dr. Paul McHugh reports in this article that transgenders are 23x's more likely to kill themselves than any other teen.

He further says we do them no favors to accommodate them rather than treat underlying favors because in so doing, we guarantee they have a high mortality and an unhappy life, akin to encouraging smokers to have 4 packs a day.

John Hopkins, where Dr. McHugh works and is a professor, he says, no longer offers transgender operations since 1970 because there is no benefit but rather, huge endangerment and problematic issues.

McHugh may be brilliant but he's definitely biased. It seems that gender assignment surgeries were ended at Johns Hopkins because he was the one who ended them (he was chair of the Dept. of Psychiatry.)

Here's a little more about him from the NYT.

He challenged our society to not bow to media and hype as we celebrate the Emperor's new clothing, because in so doing, we are causing more harm than good.

A voice of reason, caring, and actual concern crying in the wilderness?

The Public Discourse is put out by a conservative think tank, the Witherspoon Institute. (I didn't remember the Witherspoon Institute, but I did remember the Regnerus study controversy referenced at the link.)

I don't doubt that people who have spent years, even decades struggling with their sexual identity have higher rates of depression and other disorders. Psychologists are going to differ on what modalities are most effective, and every patient will respond individually and uniquely. This is one psychiatrist with one approach.

Looking at the article at your link, I found it a little on the dramatic side ("Olympic Athlete Turned "Pin-Up" Girl"?) and thought he overstated the case at times.

The grim fact is that most of these youngsters do not find therapists willing to assess and guide them in ways that permit them to work out their conflicts and correct their assumptions. Rather, they and their families find only “gender counselors” who encourage them in their sexual misassumptions.

I'd agree that therapy would be a good thing for people with identity issues, but my question would be regarding his recommendation for young people to receive family therapy. Would those young persons receive individual therapy along with family group therapy, and would that therapy concentrate on interventions or group pressure on the young individuals to change their minds? At what point might that family therapy be coercive, leading to greater psychological pressure on the patients?

Just a few thoughts out of many I had, but I'm out of time for now.

PureX

It's not okay to assume that all transgenders are gay.

It's not okay to force your religious beliefs on people who don't share them.
Stripe, having made a demigod of himself through his elitist and absolutist religious beliefs, will never be willing to recognize that.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned

Oh, please.

It's not okay to go around trying to ruin families and businesses because you have the integrity of a cracked wine glass either- and then, laughably, be handing out literal medals of courage- as the case with Bruce Jenner for example.

You all have forced your beliefs, and while not all transgenders are gay, they are collectively every sexual deviance there is- they are Sodomites as a nation, and your mythologizing of them as if they are at large normal people is ridiculous.

Getting away from your politically correct, false sense of righteousness, they are not normal- they made that known the minute they decided they were women in male bodies, or vice versa.
It's a mental illness- the sooner you accept that, the better.

Lon

Interestingly, some of them like Jenner if I remember and am citing the article correctly, still are attracted only to women, which is why Dr. McHugh recommends we not cave to pop-psychology.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's easier to tar them all with the same brush; then you don't have to wade through a whole lot of unpleasantry trying to figure out what it is.

What religious belief? What force?

You're a fruit loop. :kook:

eider

Dr. Paul McHugh reports in this article that transgenders are 23x's more likely to kill themselves than any other teen.?

Ah yes.... Doctor McHugh. Seeing as how transsexuals, transgenders, transvestites, bisexuals, homosexuals, asexuals, polyamorists et al are treated with such bigoted prejudice in some places and amongst some folks, it's not hard to figure out why suicide rates are so high amongst these groups?

Lon

Ah yes.... Doctor McHugh. Seeing as how transsexuals, transgenders, transvestites, bisexuals, homosexuals, asexuals, polyamorists et al are treated with such bigoted prejudice in some places and amongst some folks, it's not hard to figure out why suicide rates are so high amongst these groups?
That's just the thing, his figures came from Sweden where there is a much higher degree of acceptance. 23x's more likely? You'd think it was America at that point, but it wasn't. This is the pop-psych again trying to justify NOT being the most loving but the most 'indulging.' Seems poor parenting style to me. It is what parents are allowing their kids to do at 8 and 11, but I yet think it untested, unfounded, and unwise.

genuineoriginal

What would one of God's spokesmen do when confronted by a man in high heels? What do you think he would say to him? Or Peter when full of the Holy Spirit?

Deuteronomy 22:5
5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.​

genuineoriginal

2 Corinthians 7:10
10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.​

eider

That's just the thing, his figures came from Sweden where there is a much higher degree of acceptance. 23x's more likely? You'd think it was America at that point, but it wasn't. This is the pop-psych again trying to justify NOT being the most loving but the most 'indulging.' Seems poor parenting style to me. It is what parents are allowing their kids to do at 8 and 11, but I yet think it untested, unfounded, and unwise.

Ah Ha! So the suicide rate in America is much lower? That would mash up Dr McHugh's argument, possibly?

Your suggestions as to the existence of lgbtqia conditions is most odd. These sexualities have always existed.
Where I live they are all protected by law, thank God.

Lon

Ah Ha! So the suicide rate in America is much lower? That would mash up Dr McHugh's argument, possibly?

Your suggestions as to the existence of lgbtqia conditions is most odd. These sexualities have always existed.
Where I live they are all protected by law, thank God.
If 'acceptance' is ill-formed and harmful compared to addressing a problem, I'm never politically correct. Sometimes I'd like you fellas to entertain that being PC is actually NOT the most loving thing at times (more often than not?). This article suggests exactly that.

Is entertaining indulgence actually a loving thing? Later in life, the alcoholic understands his/her malediction. Later in life, when we support the smoker's right to indulge 5 packs, and they can't breathe, we've done them NO favors, contrary to being PC and supportive of poor choice. We can make poor choices and I'm not the indulgence police. I am, however, advocating that we don't applaud those choices nor publically laud them.

Again, this doctor is either a voice crying out in the PC-mindless wilderness, or is wrong. I'd think we need to face facts that he seems to have spent more than a voter pamphlet skim upon.

Last edited:

eider

Oh, please. .......
It's a mental illness- the sooner you accept that, the better.

It's not a mental illness, all lgbtqia sexualities are present in decent socially valuable people.
But where I live it is an offence, unlawful, to discriminate against any disabled person, which includes mentally disabled folks, so either way lhbtqia people are protected by law.

Why does Paul get quoted so often, and never Jesus?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
It's not a mental illness, all lgbtqia sexualities are present in decent socially valuable people.
But where I live it is an offence, unlawful, to discriminate against any disabled person, which includes mentally disabled folks, so either way lhbtqia people are protected by law.

Yeah well, in America we have something called 'Freedom of Speech'.

Why does Paul get quoted so often, and never Jesus?

Jesus didn't write Paul's books- Paul did. That's why :rolleyes: