BATTLE TALK ~ BRX (rounds 1 thru 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowx

"And concerning the idea that you can leave time, all one must do to see the absurdity of such a thing is to ask very simple questions.
When did you (presumably God) leave time?
When did you come back?
How long were you gone?
Did you leave before or after you returned?
Are you still gone?
Have you ever left?"

mhm..

elected4ever

Shadowx said:
"And concerning the idea that you can leave time, all one must do to see the absurdity of such a thing is to ask very simple questions.
When did you (presumably God) leave time?
When did you come back?
How long were you gone?
Did you leave before or after you returned?
Are you still gone?
Have you ever left?"

mhm..
Some people say I am past gone. :dizzy:

Z Man

Shadowx said:
" one day as if a thousand years has passed, and a thousand years as one day"Speaks of His patience: 2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God's patience is not a slave to time.
Good point. What is your take on Psalms 90?
Your view says God is realllllly long suffering, he has always been suffering..and waiting..

Was the word always flesh, in real time from God's perspective or did it become flesh at some point in real time?
I've already commented on this:
  • Jesus died once; yes, we can agree on that. And yes, to us, the universe did begin at some point in OUR time. But try and look at it the way toist has illustrated; God is beyond the book in which we are contained. He wrote the book and all of it's pages, and knows how it will end. To us, we live 'page by page'; we are contained within it's pages. But God is 'outside' of the pages; He can flip them and see what happens in the future, or in the past.

Another way to look at it is the way C.S. Lewis describes in his book, Mere Christianity. In it, Lewis explains that if you draw a line on a piece of paper, then that line can represent time and the paper can represent God. In other words, God encompasses all of time; He overshadows the whole 'timeline'. If you understand these concepts, then it's easy to understand that yes, the universe did begin at a time for us, and Jesus died once in our time. But God encompasses all of time. He is beyond it, and is God yesterday, today, AND tomorrow.
Your reply suggests that you misunderstood me:
Zman, God, nor you for that matter would need to be outside of time to see the future.
I know my own future based on the choices I make, or will make. You don't need to be outside of time to know if your fighter plane is not fueled up, it's not going to function.
You can be in time and figure this out, with absolute perfect foreknowledge..
I wasn't trying to prove that we need to be outside of time to see the future; I was merely making the point that God does not experience Christ's death forever. That event happened in OUR time, and God surpasses our time; He is beyond it. Like a page in a book, it only happened once, and God is not stuck in that one page. For us as characters in the book, or as a speck on the line drawn across the paper, Christ's death is a speck in our past, behind us on the line, or behind us in the pages (whichever analogy you prefer). To God, it too is a speck, but on our timeline.

You are saying that if God did not exist in our time, but was beyond it, then He would experience everything all at once. But that is taking the analogy of the line drawn on the paper, with God as the paper, and time as the line, and stating that the line is both time and God, and there is no paper. If God was also the line, then yes, Christ would be dying all the time in God's 'world'. But God isn't the line; He's the paper that the line is drawn on. Christ's death is a speck on that line, not specks all over the paper.

Make sense? You don't have to agree, but I want to make sure you understand how I believe in God and time.
So then, did God predestine, ordain [Israel] to [worship Baal]? That was my question to you. He doesn't just say he didn't command it, he says it never entered his "heart"/"mind" that they should do it. Do you not hold to the view that God is the direct cause of every action? Did he cause Judah to sin by his perfect will and actions, or was it Israel that caused them to sin?
This is a twofold question here.

1) Was it God's divine will that Israel worship Baal? Yes.

2) Did God cause Judah to sin? No.
Are you saying God didn't know this was going to happen, "Come to find out"?
Don't you believe God knew absolutely that Israel was going to paint their nails and where her hair a certain length because God ordained it to be so and they had no choice to do otherwise?
My analogy was with humans. Of course God knew what was going to happen. In fact, that's why I believe He ordained all of this in the first place. Think about it; in my analogy, stating to your ex-girlfriend that "you never made her do such things" would no doubt lead her to think about how much better it was with you. In the same manner, when God told the Israelites that He had never commanded them of such atrocities that they had commited in worshipping Baal, Israel came to realize how great and glorious God truly was.

If you were never lost, how could you ever appreciate grace? In all things, may God be glorified.
Zman, according to your view as I understand it, Israel never left God's perfect will for them, so why would he say he never thought it or commanded it in "Hope" they would come back to Him (or realize something), whom they never really left..?
God's will for them, and everyone for that matter, is that we glorify Him. And that's what He gets, whether it be now, or in the end. Israel may of disobeyed God's command, but as for His will, no man can thwart that. In the end, all knees will bow, and every tounge will confess that Jesus is Lord. He'll get His glory, one way or another. That's His perfect will. We may not like it, and we may not even follow it sometimes, as Israel is seen doing here, but nonetheless, it still stands, and forever will.
You say he had no choice, Jesus says he did.
Jesus to Zman: "Mat 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?"
I'm not saying Jesus didn't have power to do such a thing. I'm simply stating that He would never use it. His plan was for redemption for all mankind, so that He could receive glory. If calling angels down from Heaven would of glorified God more than sacrificing His own Son, it would of been done that way. But God knew better. Thus, Jesus had no choice.

Saying He would not choose to call down angels, and that He didn't have the power or authority to call down angels, are two totally different things.
Question is, if God only does that which is pleasing to him, why does he say he is displeased?
He is displeased with our actions, not His.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now I am willing to say that Bob is winning the debate. The letter from Brian Rohrbough was powerfull!

Shadowx

[
Z Man said:
Good point. What is your take on Psalms 90?

Psa 90:1 <A Prayer of Moses the man of God.> Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations.
Psa 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

It reaffirms my position on time, While God is from everlasting to everlasting, no beginning or end, the earth is not, God at some point in time actually created it, the mountains etc etc

Psa 90:3 Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men.
Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Peter pulls this verse out and uses it to apply to God's patience with men verses their patience..

Psa 90:5 Thou carriest them away as with a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up.
Psa 90:6 In the morning it flourisheth, and groweth up; in the evening it is cut down, and withereth.
Psa 90:7 For we are consumed by thine anger, and by thy wrath are we troubled.
Psa 90:8 Thou hast set our iniquities before thee, our secret sins in the light of thy countenance.
Psa 90:9 For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told.
Psa 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
Psa 90:11 Who knoweth the power of thine anger? even according to thy fear, so is thy wrath.
Psa 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
Psa 90:13 Return, O LORD, how long? and let it repent thee concerning thy servants.
Psa 90:14 O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
Psa 90:15 Make us glad according to the days wherein thou hast afflicted us, and the years wherein we have seen evil.
Psa 90:16 Let thy work appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children.
Psa 90:17 And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.

Was there anything else in here you wanted me to comment on?

Do you believe God has always had thoughts within himself..?

I wasn't trying to prove that we need to be outside of time to see the future; I was merely making the point that God does not experience Christ's death forever. That event happened in OUR time, and God surpasses our time; He is beyond it. Like a page in a book, it only happened once, and God is not stuck in that one page. For us as characters in the book, or as a speck on the line drawn across the paper, Christ's death is a speck in our past, behind us on the line, or behind us in the pages (whichever analogy you prefer). To God, it too is a speck, but on our timeline.

You are saying that if God did not exist in our time, but was beyond it, then He would experience everything all at once. But that is taking the analogy of the line drawn on the paper, with God as the paper, and time as the line, and stating that the line is both time and God, and there is no paper. If God was also the line, then yes, Christ would be dying all the time in God's 'world'. But God isn't the line; He's the paper that the line is drawn on. Christ's death is a speck on that line, not specks all over the paper.

Make sense? You don't have to agree, but I want to make sure you understand how I believe in God and time.

To me you are saying everything has always existed and God can simply go back or forth to that point in time that is still there. It's still going on, but God doesn't have to have it before him at all times. Or are you saying God created time for us, but is not bound by it and can access real events that have already taken place, or will take place and look at them? Could God have walked the earth and manifested himself in the presence of Christ, via Mary, even before he created the earth and woman?

How long you think it may have taken him to create time?

This is a twofold question here.

1) Was it God's divine will that Israel worship Baal? Yes.

Zman, can you show me where God says it was my *divine* will for you to do what I didn't command, think or order?

2) Did God cause Judah to sin? No.

Was it God's divine will?

In your view he did. Because it was God's divine will and who can resist that? It was God's divine will because it glorified Him right?
You can't say God is not the cause, yet God is the cause of all things. Both cannot be true Zman.

My analogy was with humans. Of course God knew what was going to happen. In fact, that's why I believe He ordained all of this in the first place.
Then why does he "SAY" it didn't enter his mind nor did he order it? If someone is divine will it must cross your mind and be ordered..

Think about it; in my analogy, stating to your ex-girlfriend that "you never made her do such things" would no doubt lead her to think about how much better it was with you. In the same manner, when God told the Israelites that He had never commanded them of such atrocities that they had committed in worshipping Baal, Israel came to realize how great and glorious God truly was.

That makes no sense, because in your view God is the one who made them leave him, Think about it, your ex-girlfriend leaves you and becomes a mass murderer, you told her before not to ever do that, even though based on what you know about her you suspect she is going to.., but secretly you were making sure that is all she could do, then you tell her, this never entered my mind..that you "should" do this, I didn't order this..I didn't command it..She can simply reply, yes you did..I had no choice, why would I want to be with someone that wills me to leave them and murder other people?

Would you rather have a woman choose you because she could do otherwise, or because she could not.?

If you were never lost, how could you ever appreciate grace? In all things, may God be glorified.

So God controls, via his divine will people to rape and molest so they will love him, but pretends like he is against those things?

God's will for them, and everyone for that matter, is that we glorify Him. And that's what He gets, whether it be now, or in the end. Israel may of disobeyed God's command, but as for His will, no man can thwart that.

Then men have no will of there own.
When Jesus was weeping over Jerusalem and saying he often wanted to gather them, you would say no he didn't because if he did, it would have been so and that God had already locked it all down..

When James says let not any man say when he is tempted it's of God..but rather he is lead away by his OWN lusts..Your view is in conflict with this, beacuse you are saying it's more then God tempting them, he is making it happen..

Is it at all possible that God allows us to resist his will in certain areas and do contrary to it, so that we can love Him? You present God as a man who sees a women, kidnaps her and ties her up in his basement, trying to get her to want to be there..and love him..

I don't know if you are married, but one day you might want to be, do you want her to want you because she can choose otherwise, or because you hooked up some wires to her brain with a remote control?

In the end, all knees will bow, and every tounge will confess that Jesus is Lord. He'll get His glory, one way or another. That's His perfect will. We may not like it, and we may not even follow it sometimes, as Israel is seen doing here, but nonetheless, it still stands, and forever will.

How could we resist his perfect will?? "We may not follow it at times"??

I'm not saying Jesus didn't have power to do such a thing. I'm simply stating that He would never use it. His plan was for redemption for all mankind, so that He could receive glory. If calling angels down from Heaven would of glorified God more than sacrificing His own Son, it would of been done that way. But God knew better. Thus, Jesus had no choice.

But my question is, did he have the true freedom to do it? I didn't ask you if he would have, but if he COULD have, considering all the prophecies..and what would be your take on "Slain before the foundation of the world"

Is it possible what glorified God most is that Jesus had the freedom to call on those angels, but redeemed us instead. That Jesus could have really done other then the prophesies, yet with his freewill, chose not to, isn't that, in part not only the value of the cross, but the evidence for Christ love for us?

He is displeased with our actions, not His.

Zman, Bob was dead on in his latest post, "Contradictions" in Calvinism
We don't have a will, only God's will comes to pass, so our actions are His.
God was displeased with making man, true or false?
Now..if he was displeased..yet it was his divine will..and he knew before hand how it was going to be.., then he must want to be displeased with Himself..

Why would God be displeased with his own actions?
So with Israel in Jeremiah 19, who were under control of God's "Divine" will, God was displeased with his own will..

Last edited:

garymorton

A less than absolute No.

A less than absolute No.

Does god Know Your entire future?
The answer is a less than absolute No.
God sent angels on to Sodom. He said the outcry there was great and I would assume much of that outcry came through prayers of victims. He sent angels to Lot as His witnesses; He didn’t say He knew everything already.

God obviously chooses to let some things run their course and not exercise the power to know the entire future all of the time.

The will of God is present and He will always decide and it will be done. God intervenes and moves ahead with His plan.

So in that sense it is the will of God that we are forgetting.

-----------------

elected4ever

Bob continues to labor under the false assumption that God's foreknowledge precludes man's free choice when in reality the very opposite is true. God's foreknowledge actually guarantees man's right to choose freely. When a false foundation is laid the the house only stands as lone as the foundation is in tack and really this is what this debate is about.

Bob ask the question of Dr. Lamerson, " Can you think of any scenario that would cause CV to fail?" That is not the exact way Bob put it but that is really the Question. The answer is, yes. There is a way to prove that CV is wrong and that is to prove that God changes.

If one can prove that God changes then it strengthens the hand of man and diminishes God.. Man is seen in control of the future and not God. If man is in control of the future then God becomes subject to man and not man to God. The created becomes the controller of the creator. The clay tells the potter of what shape it should be fashioned.

To prove that God changes his mind proves that God changes. To prove that God is "surprised" by man's decisions is to prove that God is not in control of anything. You have effectively diminished God and made God into a controllable creation of man and God becomes what man wonts God to be. Wipe out the foundation and the house crumbles. Christians would have done what no atheist could ever do and that is kill God in the hearts and minds of men

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
e4e,

What you say isn't true if it is God who put man in control of the future and that He can remove that control from man at His leisure. You confuse, authority with soverienty.

Resting in Him,
Clete

elected4ever

Clete said:
e4e,

What you say isn't true if it is God who put man in control of the future and that He can remove that control from man at His leisure. You confuse, authority with sovereignty.

Resting in Him,
Clete
That is just it Clete, God did not give man sovereign control over ever thing. Only limited control. Man has no authority to act outside the will(Law) of the sovereign (God). Man is in trouble when he supersedes his authority and acts outside the will Of God. It is man attempting to wrist control from God (sin).

Rimi

Couldn't make a decision in round 1, as it seemed more introductory. Round 2, both were strong. But it was Brian's letter and this quote in round 3:

So Sam, one of your fears of the Open View is that by accident great cruelty might happen; but that is exactly what you say the Calvinist God does every day, intentionally.

These were the dealbreakers. I don't think Bob was hasty at all in declaring victory.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
elected4ever said:
That is just it Clete, God did not give man sovereign control over ever thing. Only limited control. Man has no authority to act outside the will(Law) of the sovereign (God). Man is in trouble when he supersedes his authority and acts outside the will Of God. It is man attempting to wrist control from God (sin).
No one ever said that man can act outside what God has given him authority to do. We just believe man has been given authority to make his own choices and to decide his own "fate". That takes nothing from God because all authority flows from God. It's not as if man went to God and insisted that He give us authority to direct our own lives, God did that on His own.

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Clete,
Thanks for the explanation earlier, much appreciated. On another note about your last post (573) that I think bares some attention.

I just received an email from a brother in the Lord who I bare knew, but we had one personal discussion about the open view. He is against the open view rather adamantly, but during our brief conversation, I don’t believe he got anything about the open view correct.

Frankly, I am tired of people attacking and supposedly debunking what they do not even understand. This friend gave me some info about a meeting where they were teaching against the open view. I wrote back and asked if there would be an opportunity to respond because my experience has shown me that those against the view do one thing very well. They get the view all wrong.

Now, I can accept some ignorance and misunderstanding, perhaps some extra mistakes being made because many people really dislike the view and thus don’t even want to entertain what it’s all about, but my personal experience is that the opponents to the Open View get it wrong over 90% of the time! I am not exaggerating.

Typically open view proponents are forced into the role of teacher while the so-called debate/discussion is going on.

BTW, MAN, Bob's last post was ,,, outstanding! Imagine that, God the Son actually emptied Himself of certain aspects of His divine abilities/attributes.

But, I think I see that Sam should have a response against that... How about you?

taoist

Shadowx said:
[Clete questions]

mhm..
Greetings, Shadowx,

I really intended this as just an intermission between rounds, and a chance for christians to weigh in on what seems an oversight. Again, let me say that I've no dog in this race, and while I'll try to remember this is a far more pressing discussion for some, I hope others will remember that it is really nothing more than academic interest to me. Seeing as Knight has decided to break off the discussion of further rounds into separate threads, I'll answer these questions here rather than starting a new thread.

There is a lexical problem here in that the very verbs we use for ourselves, much like those that are used in flatland, assume that all action occurs inside our limited dimensions. There is no word in flatland for motion through the third dimension.

Now the natural place to put an atemporal god of the universe is in an extension space that contains the universe we experience (or in some further extension leading to the infinite regress many atheists infer from the logic of a supernatural creator). There is the view of flatland (or our universe) from inside flatland (or inside our universe) and the view from an enclosing space.

Inside our space, we are required to experience time only in the direction of increasing entropy. But everyone acknowledges the god of christianity isn't bound by entropy (again, for non theists such as myself, only in theory). The restriction of god to our perception of time is thus revealed as an anthropomorphism.

So, let's take apart these questions with this in mind, and see if we can't eliminate the anthropomorphism implied for the christian god. To make the answers non-trivial, we'll assume a deity that is not omnipresent. Otherwise the answers to all the following questions are, "Never, I'm always around and always in communication with all of my time-encompassing being."

"When did you (presumably God) leave time?"
I never "left" time, as it remains a coordinate on my atemporal-universe state function, but to you it might have seemed as if I vanished when I decided to flip back a few pages in the book of ages after looking in on your day.

"When did you come back?"
After noting the trials awaiting you a few pages on, I decided to step back for a moment and grant you some courage, though to you it might have seemed I'd suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

"How long were you gone?"
I don't perceive the time the way you do, but had you yourself experienced the flow of my thought through the pages of the book of ages, it might have seemed to you that I was gone a few thousand years, as I've been leafing through the book at random. But my motion through the book is not restricted to your motion through your temporal universe.

"Did you leave before or after you returned?"
Why, both!

:chuckle:

"Are you still gone?"
Not until I've finished answering your atemporal questions, o temporal man.

"Have you ever left?"
Many times, and my world line moves through and past yours in such a maze of thought that you might almost say I'm always leaving, and always arriving, and always never here.

*vanishing, leaving only a cheshire grin*

In peace, Jesse

1Way

taoist

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree (or is there really a tree at all :think: ), but are you bragging that you are unqualified to speak about such matters without straying into fictional abstraction? Is everything to you art and taste, you know, verying degrees of grey, not absolute truth and/or righteousness? (i.e. your view could be wrong and false, but who cares, at least you sounded smart...)

Last edited:

1Way

Clete,
Ok, in the interests of time.
It's seems to me that the incarnation brings certain limitations by taking on the flesh. I was always told that just because Jesus was both God and man does not mean He was not God. But at the same time, we would not rightly say that Jesus Christ is the only person within God (God the Father, Son, and HS). Did "God" in the Trinity sense empty Himself of knowledge? Or is it more likely that the Father and the HS retained their power and knowledge etc?

I don't see Bob having victory over that point just yet... :think:

If you only look at 1/3 of anyone and then judge as though its everything, something is amiss in such a comparison... Wouldn't you say?

taoist

1Way said:
taoist

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree (or is there really a tree at all :think: ), but are you bragging that you are unqualified to speak about such matters without straying into fictional abstraction? Is everything to you art and taste, you know, verying degrees of grey, not absolute truth and/or righteousness? (i.e. your view could be wrong and false, but who cares, at least you sounded smart...)
Greetings 1Way,

Hey, Clete asked me to answer as if I was the christian god. If that's not a good excuse for fictional abstraction, I think I'll be waiting a long time before I find a better one.

:chuckle:

To answer your second question as directly as I can (leaving out art and taste), I find nothing admirable at all about the idea that wisdom consists of telling absolute black from absolute white. My pet angelfish can do that. Humans can discriminate finer shades, and a wise human is acknowledged for his ability to make the finest distinctions.

Absolutism is intellectual laziness. Absolutes don't even exist.

Sure, my view could be wrong or false, but if its wrongness or falseness isn't rationally discernible, I'll never find "reason" to change.

One thing of which I'm certain, though. We're all humans, and motivated by needs and desires which are inherently human. So long as I'm sharing a planet with you and your fellow adherents, it's worthwhile to make some attempt to see where your beliefs lead you.

Or, we could just take off and nuke the place from orbit. Nah, I don't think so.

In peace, Jesse

elected4ever

Clete said:
No one ever said that man can act outside what God has given him authority to do.
That is exactly what the open view proclaims.
We just believe man has been given authority to make his own choices and to decide his own "fate".
That is the same view as the Closed view.
That takes nothing from God because all authority flows from God.
It does when you insist that God reacts to man because God does not know what man's choice will be. You insist that God is taken by surprise
It's not as if man went to God and insisted that He give us authority to direct our own lives, God did that on His own.
agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.