Atheists believe....?

6days

Atheism is not the belief that life came from non-life. Atheism has nothing to do with the question of how life began . No one knows
exactly how it began .
No atheist claims to know this .

Ya right.... maybe life was seeded on earth by aliens?

Hedshaker

Ya right.... maybe life was seeded on earth by aliens?

Even that is way, way more plausible than life being poofed using supernatural magic by an invisible sky spirit. Not that either should be taken seriously.

How life on this planet emerged is not yet known by anyone, and those who think they do know must not be trusted.

6days

Aliens did it! ??

Aliens did it! ??

Hedahaker said:
Even(aliens) is way, way more plausible than life being poofed using supernatural magic by an invisible sky spirit. Not that either should be taken seriously.

Hmmmmm..... So this means you are willing to consider that life on earth may be the result of some form of intelligence?

Hedshaker...you are softening....i like it!

musterion

Atheism is not the belief that life came from non-life. Atheism has nothing to do with the question of how life began . No one knows exactly how it began . No atheist claims to know this .

Then how can they claim -- and they do -- to know how it DIDN'T happen?

musterion

Hmmmmm..... So this means you are willing to consider that life on earth may be the result of some form of intelligence?

Of course he considers that more plausible: it doesn't address the First Cause question of where the aliens themselves came from, it pushes it even further out of the mind.

Reactions: Lon

Hedshaker

You fail to add an important part of my post in order to make your usual strawman point. Here it is in bold:

How life on this planet emerged is not yet known by anyone, and those who think they do know must not be trusted.

Why on Earth would I consider intelligence when there isn't the faintest shred of evidence for it? Or maybe you could clearly explain how this "intelligence" went about creating life on earth.... without invoking magic!

I'm always open to evidence but, as you well know, your cherished religious beliefs are not evidence. And that's the difference between us.

Hedshaker

Of course he considers that more plausible: it doesn't address the First Cause question of where the aliens themselves came from, it pushes it even further out of the mind.

And of course, your magic poof artist in the sky falls under the exact same problem, doesn't it? Where did it come from?

Let the special pleading begin. He doesn't need a cause because he's magic!!! :sheep:

commonsense

Give us a straight, honest answer:

When you find yourself standing in judgment before Him, what would you offer as as your best excuse for your life of unbelief? (assuming He even gives you that opportunity to justify yourself, which I seriously doubt He's going to do for anyone). But if He does, what will you tell Him?

Dead serious question, answer in kind. Please.

And when you find yourself standing in judgment before Coocamonga God of the Congo, what would you offer as your best excuse for your life of disbelief?
You failed to sacrifice 2 bunnies a day and you pleasured yourself far too frequently....What Will You Tell Him?

6days

Musterion said:
Of*course he considers that more plausible: it doesn't address the First Cause question of where the aliens themselves came from, it pushes it even further out of the mind.

Did you see the video of Richard Dawkins squirming when asked if it was possible life was the result of intelligence? *Its funny how he uses words like 'intelligence, *design and sophistication' and is willing to assign it anything except an intelligent creator.*

As you say, its an obvious attempt to avoid having to think about First Cause. Also it shows atheism is a belief system...not just a lack of belied.*

commonsense

The fact that the Jews returned to their land after nearly 2,000 years of dispersion.

I'm wondering if it can be shown scientifically that the Jews who returned to their homeland are genetically related to the residents of Israel and Judah of 2000 years ago.....I'm thinking maybe not

commonsense

Someone writing something down on paper does not make what they wrote, true. So if you want to assert things that have been written down (such as religious scripture), you still have to establish some reasonable cause for us to believe it's true. If you can't do that, then I don't see why you think you have the right to assert it's truthfulness, to others, in the first place.
Au contraire PureX If its written down it must be true..thats why there are 43 gods of the universe...

Lon

You must have memory issues, because I'm pretty sure we've been over this at least two or three other times. Again, I'm a disinterested agnostic.
First time you ever answered.... You said 'not fundamentalist Christian' before, which narrowed it down. I knew it was agnostic or atheist after the next time when we ruled out liberal Christian, just not which one. I suggest the clarity is your fault in communication.

But if you wanted to, you could conduct a series of independent, objective tests to determine the effect. Can't do that with God.
So what is the point of the objection. You come to a Christian website where scriptures are given. Don't like? Don't come. Doesn't that seem a reasonable given? Doesn't a complaint, on a Christian website, seem a bit mentally unstable? It'd be like me coming to a science website and discounting microscopes. Scriptures are the tools we use around here.

Same as above.
Okay, better yet, it is like coming to a naturopath clinic and complaining everything is organic :noway:

Not sure what you're talking about here. All I did was note how fundamentalists seem to be oblivious to the fact that quoting scripture isn't persuasive to non-Christians. I suppose you can ignore that and just keep plodding on if you like.
You seem oblivious to the reason they do. You have a fairly meaningless quote in your sig. To me, there is no reason for it and Christians aren't interested or persuaded by it, yet there it is. I can complain about it everyday, or just ignore it. I ignore it. You? :nono: You take opportunity to complain if any supportive quote is given, just because it is scripture.

If you're going to use science as your determinant for what does and doesn't have a God behind it, you aren't going to like the outcome. Unless of course you operate according to the same simplistic mindset as AiG and other fundamentalists here, where "valid science" = "agrees with my religion", and "bad science" = "conflicts with my religion".
:nono: Science only points me toward creation. Creation points me closer to a Creator. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is meaning behind it. For you? Disappointment, don't try to cast your empty projections. Bad science conflicts with everybody's world view.

There ya' go....you cite scientists who work for organizations that make it abundantly clear that they refuse to follow the scientific method, and wonder why folks like me reject it.
Again, I said those who affiliate with the creationist worldview. These particular scientists may not be known as standout contributors, but they'd have to have followed the scientific method to be scientists. Their current work, I grant, isn't science but trying to look at other agendas, but they are capable of doing science or they wouldn't have those degrees nor have the affiliation. No scientist is going to associate with Lon.com or probably even Jose.com

Again this speaks further to the obliviousness of fundamentalism. Quoting scripture to non-Christians, citing anti-scientific organizations in discussions of science, and all the while scratching your head as to why it doesn't persuade.
You are the one scratching your head, and then complaining about it. I'd have had nothing to say if it weren't a 'response' to your inane complaint on a 'Christian' website about them giving scriptures :doh: You are the one that doesn't make sense. Hint: If I were on a science debate website, I'd use them a lot less or not at all. :noway:

Last edited:

Lon

Yes, "atheism" is the word that describes disbelief in gods which like the word "theism" is not meant to offer fantastic stories. That's for religious doctrines, SF and fantasy stories.
:nono: Erroneously or stupidly marginalizing. Just because your god is science doesn't make love a unicorn. You really need to get outside of a lab. Science is not the end-all for most of us, just the easily duped and small-thinking without philosophical metaphysical ability. You guys don't realize how poorly it is able to shape a worldview or how poor your worldview becomes in its shallow box. Science will never be able to explain everything nor help you be a good parent or spouse, nor create the next hit song (they have tried) nor paint a Mona Lisa (we still pay big bucks for a hand that a computer could do better because the painting by the hand is valuable and what science could copy is not, though, I think, cool.

Last edited:

Lon

And of course, your magic poof artist in the sky falls under the exact same problem, doesn't it? Where did it come from?

Let the special pleading begin. He doesn't need a cause because he's magic!!! :sheep:
:nono: Something is god and eternal.

1) Nothing + nothing necessarily = nothing
2) Only something can produce something
.: Something has always eternally existed and that something is our creator. Period.

I have never seen any logical challenge to this proof set. You have a god, regardless of who or what it is. Once you get that through your head, you'll stop being an atheist. There is no escaping the veracity of this proof. Atheists just don't think intelligently. Sorry. True. You have a god. You didn't create yourself.

6days

I'm wondering if it can be shown scientifically that the Jews who returned to their homeland are genetically related to the residents of Israel and Judah of 2000 years ago.....I'm thinking maybe not
Maybe not. I wonder if Jews who maintained their identity their through the holocaust and a couple thousands of years of persecution were just kidding about their heritage....I'm thinking maybe not.

alwight

:nono: Erroneously or stupidly marginalizing. Just because your god is science doesn't make love a unicorn. You really need to get outside of a lab. Science is not the end-all for most of us, just the easily duped and small-thinking without philosophical metaphysical ability. You guys don't realize how poorly it is able to shape a worldview or how poor your worldview becomes in its shallow box. Science will never be able to explain everything nor help you be a good parent or spouse, nor create the next hit song (they have tried) nor paint a Mona Lisa (we still pay big bucks for a hand that a computer could do better because the painting by the hand is valuable and what science could copy is not, though, I think, cool.
Lon you are someone who claims to KNOW, yet you can't offer any demonstrable evidence of that supposed knowledge but then happily seem to expect it to be accepted apparently by special pleading and ancient scripture.

I really don't see how human artistic and cultural endeavour is indicative of anything other than humans appreciate art and culture, it doesn't somehow possess magical properties nor does it become evidence of a god.

If science doesn't have the answer it doesn't just pretend to know an answer anyway, it is very willing to confirm that it is simply an unknown.
To not know is no shame.
To not know is acceptable.
You can live your life without knowing a great many things, you don't need to pretend that "God" answers everything for you, perhaps to save you all the bother.
To say you do not know when that is the case is called "being honest". To say that you KNOW God exists beyond a belief, is imo being less than honest, mainly with yourself.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
It's always the same old excuses. The creature is drawn to the light that gave it life and demands that the light-giver agree to its arrogant terms as the only 'reasonable' possibility for discovery.

Atheists are visible proof that what God has said is true; by refusing to know Him on His terms. "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

I thank God for atheists because they strengthen my faith. Yet I pray that God will tear down the defenses they have constructed against Him before they come crashing down on their heads.

To all unbelievers:
“We are all mere beggars showing other beggars where to find bread.” Martin Luther

Hedshaker

:nono: Something is god and eternal.

1) Nothing + nothing necessarily = nothing
2) Only something can produce something
.: Something has always eternally existed and that something is our creator. Period.

There is no evidence that there ever was nothing. There is no evidence for your creator. Period.

I have never seen any logical challenge to this proof set. You have a god, regardless of who or what it is. Once you get that through your head, you'll stop being an atheist. There is no escaping the veracity of this proof. Atheists just don't think intelligently. Sorry. True. You have a god. You didn't create yourself.

There is no proof and no evidence for what you claim. You have a belief, not a god. Your faith is blind. You subscribe to fideism. You just cannot bring yourself to admit it. The truth hurts sometimes but it's still the truth.

All your posts have an air of sneering so I'm putting you back on ignore.

Good day

alwight

It's always the same old excuses. The creature is drawn to the light that gave it life and demands that the light-giver agree to its arrogant terms as the only 'reasonable' possibility for discovery.

Atheists are visible proof that what God has said is true; by refusing to know Him on His terms. "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

I thank God for atheists because they strengthen my faith. Yet I pray that God will tear down the defenses they have constructed against Him before they come crashing down on their heads.

To all unbelievers:
“We are all mere beggars showing other beggars where to find bread.” Martin Luther
I believe you really believe all that but I don't believe you know any such thing, nobody does. You whistle in the dark just like all the rest of us.