Atheists believe....?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
How many homes did they bulldoze when 6,000,000 of them were killed by Hitler?

Is that the reason Israel was created after WWII? Is that the basis? The atrocities of the Nazi's?
If so, are you ready to turn your home over to native Americans? Pay reparations to the descendants of slaves?

6days

I'm not sure that you, as you say elsewhere Lon, actually do know that God exists....

We KNOW!. 2 Tim.1:12 "I know the one in whom I trust"
Alwight.... We have confidence and certainty knowing not only that He exists but that His Word and His promises are true.

OCTOBER23

Christianity promises IMMORTALITY and RULERSHIP OF THE UNIVERSE

Atheism promises DEATH and NOTHINGNESS

God says CHOOSE LIFE.

Atheism says Nothing.

Your Choice

alwight

Christianity promises IMMORTALITY and RULERSHIP OF THE UNIVERSE

Atheism promises DEATH and NOTHINGNESS

God says CHOOSE LIFE.

Atheism says Nothing.

Your Choice
Christianity is all about an imaginary carrot and stick.
Atheism doesn't promise anything but leaves all the possibilities open.
Your choice.

6days

There's a good chance that Israel would be less hated if they would stop bulldozing innocent peoples homes as well as stealing land for settlers

There is no chance Israel would be less hated no matter how much it compromises. It is a spiritual war and Satan wants to defeat God by driving every Israelite from the land.
Also... your argument about "stealing land" seems a little lame. Should 98% of Canadians move back to countries their ancestors came from?

musterion

We KNOW!. 2 Tim.1:12 "I know the one in whom I trust"
Alwight.... We have confidence and certainty knowing not only that He exists but that His Word and His promises are true.

They absolutely are, even if we as believers are not aware of them.

In college, after years of indulging myself, I became increasingly convicted of my sin. This started, apparently, for no reason I could see -- nothing human had done it. I had had practically no religious upbringing or training and was at that time interfaced with no Christians whatsoever. No one had preached anything to me. In fact, when in junior college I recall laughing at two students dressed as clowns who were going around handing out Gospel tracts. "Hah! Clowns for Christ!" I laughed as they walked by. Indeed they were (1 Cor 4:10). That memory still shames me.

But some time later, after the conviction became unbearable and after much screaming resistance of the flesh, I finally heard and believed the saving Good News. The changes in me were not immediate but they did take place. I found this almost shocking because I was not told to expect much of anything (the people who led me to Christ were rather weak and doctrinally disordered themselves, but thank God the Gospel itself is His power unto salvation, not any preacher or preacher's delivery). So in due time, not only the obvious things I thought needed changing did change, but things I did NOT want to see changed, also changed.

Most telling for me, though, was when things I never even thought about as needing changing, also changed.

The point is, all of these - whether I wanted them changed, didn't want them changed or never thought of - were changes I could not have effected even if I'd wanted to. But God did them anyway because that's how our gradual growth into the image of Christ starts.

alwight

Atheists tend to believe imo that proselytising and witnessing are not evidence of anything other than a deluded mind. :plain:

PureX

They absolutely are, even if we as believers are not aware of them.

In college, after years of indulging myself, I became increasingly convicted of my sin. This started, apparently, for no reason I could see -- nothing human had done it. I had had practically no religious upbringing or training and was at that time interfaced with no Christians whatsoever. No one had preached anything to me. In fact, when in junior college I recall laughing at two students dressed as clowns who were going around handing out Gospel tracts. "Hah! Clowns for Christ!" I laughed as they walked by. Indeed they were (1 Cor 4:10). That memory still shames me.

But some time later, after the conviction became unbearable and after much screaming resistance of the flesh, I finally heard and believed the saving Good News. The changes in me were not immediate but they did take place. I found this almost shocking because I was not told to expect much of anything (the people who led me to Christ were rather weak and doctrinally disordered themselves, but thank God the Gospel itself is His power unto salvation, not any preacher or preacher's delivery). So in due time, not only the obvious things I thought needed changing did change, but things I did NOT want to see changed, also changed.

Most telling for me, though, was when things I never even thought about as needing changing, also changed.

The point is, all of these - whether I wanted them changed, didn't want them changed or never thought of - were changes I could not have effected even if I'd wanted to. But God did them anyway because that's how our gradual growth into the image of Christ starts.
I don't understand why you think this experience should matter to anyone else. Or why you think the lessons you took away from it apply to everyone, and are the only possible lessons that could be taken from it.

When I was a small child, I had a direct personal experience of God. Not in church, not with anyone else, just me and God. And it was amazing in ways that I cannot possibly explain away. And it effected the way I relate to religion and religiosity for the rest of my life.

Yet I can't think of any reason why this event in my life should mean anything to anyone else. Nor why the lessons I drew from it should be the lessons anyone else should draw from my telling them about it. I'm not belittling your experience, nor my own, but they were OUR experiences. And the significance we give to them is a significance relative to ourselves, alone. There is no reason anyone else needs to feel that our experiences are applicable to them, or that the lessons we drew from them are lessons that others need to apply to themselves.

I was an active member of AA for many years, and have heard a lot of people tell their life stories. And I can tell you that there are a lot of folks out there with some truly amazing and inexplicable experiences in their lives. Things have happened to people that you would have great difficulty believing, and yet I believe the people telling these stories are telling the truth. Life is a lot more mysterious than we humans want to acknowledge, and we know far less about what's going on around us than we think we do.

Those of us who have experienced these kinds of amazing events have to just do the best we can in the wake of them. We take the lessons for whatever they're worth to us, and keep moving on. But we have to realize that we still don't really understand them, even though we may think we do. Just as we thought we understood things before these events happened and then changed our understanding.

"One revelation does not a sage, make." And revelations are personal. They don't apply to everyone; only to the one experiencing it.

Proselytizing is for cult members and con men. The real sage knows it's only advertising for the ignorant; and it's pointless.

But you do as you please.

Hedshaker

Evolution is a religion
Evolution is a religion Evolution is a religion Evolution is a religion Evolution is a religion Evolution is a religion Evolution is a religion

Say it as many times as you need like a mantra if it helps convince you but it will never magically become true.

Evolution is a branch of science. It is the only explanation for the diversity of life on this planet that makes sense of the evidence.

Creationism is a silly old religious myth that lies rotting in the dustbin of history where it belongs. Some people are just too addicted to its stench to let go.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Atheism is not the belief that life came from non-life. Atheism has nothing to do with the question of how life began . No one knows
exactly how it began .
No atheist claims to know this .

musterion

I don't understand why you think this experience should matter to anyone else. Or why you think the lessons you took away from it apply to everyone, and are the only possible lessons that could be taken from it.

When I was a small child, I had a direct personal experience of God. Not in church, not with anyone else, just me and God. And it was amazing in ways that I cannot possibly explain away. And it effected the way I relate to religion and religiosity for the rest of my life.

Yet I can't think of any reason why this event in my life should mean anything to anyone else. Nor why the lessons I drew from it should be the lessons anyone else should draw from my telling them about it. I'm not belittling your experience, nor my own, but they were OUR experiences. And the significance we give to them is a significance relative to ourselves, alone. There is no reason anyone else needs to feel that our experiences are applicable to them, or that the lessons we drew from them are lessons that others need to apply to themselves.

I was an active member of AA for many years, and have heard a lot of people tell their life stories. And I can tell you that there are a lot of folks out there with some truly amazing and inexplicable experiences in their lives. Things have happened to people that you would have great difficulty believing, and yet I believe the people telling these stories are telling the truth. Life is a lot more mysterious than we humans want to acknowledge, and we know far less about what's going on around us than we think we do.

Those of us who have experienced these kinds of amazing events have to just do the best we can in the wake of them. We take the lessons for whatever they're worth to us, and keep moving on. But we have to realize that we still don't really understand them, even though we may think we do. Just as we thought we understood things before these events happened and then changed our understanding.

"One revelation does not a sage, make." And revelations are personal. They don't apply to everyone; only to the one experiencing it.

Proselytizing is for cult members and con men. The real sage knows it's only advertising for the ignorant; and it's pointless.

I was posting to 6Days.

That my testimony offends you to the level of RantCon 1 says much about you. You have my pity.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

i don't understand why you think this post should matter to anybody else :idunno:

PureX

I was posting to 6Days.

That my testimony offends you to the level of RantCon 1 says much about you. You have my pity.
Don't be such an absurd little baby. Your post didn't offend me at all. I was simply pointing out that your personal experiences don't lend credibility to any assertion that other people should draw similar conclusions from them as you did.

OCTOBER23

Therefore, Atheism does Not have anything to offer

which equals NOTHING.

Christians have Historical, Scientific, Prophetic and Archeological PROOF

that the BIBLE is TRUE .

alwight

Therefore, Atheism does Not have anything to offer

which equals NOTHING.

Christians have Historical, Scientific, Prophetic and Archeological PROOF

that the BIBLE is TRUE .
Yes, "atheism" is the word that describes disbelief in gods which like the word "theism" is not meant to offer fantastic stories. That's for religious doctrines, SF and fantasy stories.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yes, "atheism" is the word that describes disbelief in gods which like the word "theism" is not meant to offer fantastic stories. That's for religious doctrines, SF and fantasy stories.

you don't think that the fact that you're alive and thinking is fantastic?

alwight

you don't think that the fact that you're alive and thinking is fantastic?
Not really, the thinking process and life seems to be very much connected to millions of years of evolution, which can be snuffed out in an instant, never to return.

Jose Fly

You come off supporting atheism down the line too. I should ask at this point: Are you?

You must have memory issues, because I'm pretty sure we've been over this at least two or three other times. Again, I'm a disinterested agnostic.

Well, good the doctor then. I get shots sometimes, that I have no idea what they do. I'm pretty sure my ignorance doesn't affect that.

But if you wanted to, you could conduct a series of independent, objective tests to determine the effect. Can't do that with God.

I have a cold. My mother is making me take Lysine. I've no idea if it actually does anything.

Same as above.

Are scriptures going to hurt you? On a Christian website? I'd think you could take your shot and drink your juice without a lot of flak. It is kinda disruptive to complain about it when you know where you are.

Not sure what you're talking about here. All I did was note how fundamentalists seem to be oblivious to the fact that quoting scripture isn't persuasive to non-Christians. I suppose you can ignore that and just keep plodding on if you like.

I'd suggest it ONLY matters if there is a God behind the words. Mormonism hasn't been a troubling shot to me. I did suggest that those in the Urantia thread were a bit odd when I questioned their paragraphs, to give only more paragraphs, because it only gave me more fodder to shoot down as ridiculous. There is, however a difference. Archeology as a science, does use the history of Israel and the NT to do science. I'd bet the Urantia book nor the BoM will ever be used to find anything in the Americas by anybody but them with agenda.

If you're going to use science as your determinant for what does and doesn't have a God behind it, you aren't going to like the outcome. Unless of course you operate according to the same simplistic mindset as AiG and other fundamentalists here, where "valid science" = "agrees with my religion", and "bad science" = "conflicts with my religion".

Answers in Genesis? Creation.org?
When they have scientists who are contributing to the field, willing to associate with them, I think it says something about legitimate credibility because those associates are making genuine scientific contributions.

There ya' go....you cite scientists who work for organizations that make it abundantly clear that they refuse to follow the scientific method, and wonder why folks like me reject it.

Again this speaks further to the obliviousness of fundamentalism. Quoting scripture to non-Christians, citing anti-scientific organizations in discussions of science, and all the while scratching your head as to why it doesn't persuade.