Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

Knight said:
Ultimately no.

The gift of healing was done by God through one of His followers.

Therefore the only difference would be in delivery.

So when we pray for God to heal a loved one are we wasting our time?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Berean said:
So when we pray for God to heal a loved one are we wasting our time?
You should be praying that God comfort them and their family. And pray that their doctors use wisdom in their treatment etc.

Healing simply isn't part of the plan in this dispensation, nor is tongues, or any other sign gifts. Which is why we call them sign gifts - they are a sign, a credential.

The Berean

Knight said:
You should be praying that God comfort them and their family. And pray that their doctors use wisdom in their treatment etc.

Healing simply isn't part of the plan in this dispensation, nor is tongues, or any other sign gifts. Which is why we call them sign gifts - they are a sign, a credential.

I see. :think:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God uses miracles extremely carefully in the Bible. Mainly because God knows that physical miracles will turn a certain percentage of people away from Him which is how the Bible records history.

The Berean

Knight said:
God uses miracles extremely carefully in the Bible. Mainly because God knows that physical miracles will turn a certain percentage of people away from Him which is how the Bible records history.

I agree with that. However, when I pray for God to have mercy on a loved one and heal that person I know I don't have the gift of healing. In the NT the Apostles who healed didn't pray to God for healing. God gave them the gift to be used as authentication of their apostleship. They simply touched them and they were healed. A good friend of mine has a father who is diabetic. A few years ago he became severally ill, so much so that the doctors called my friend to have him come down to say goodbye because his father was going to die in a matter of hours. Well, my friend his family went down to the hospital and they prayed for his father. His father recovered and left the hospital three days later. His father went from near death to leaving the hospital in three days?! The doctors were stunned. They had no explanation. Now either God responded to the prayers of my friend and his family or it was already God's will that his father would not die on that particluar day before the began to pray for him.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Berean said:
Now either God responded to the prayers of my friend and his family or it was already God's will that his father would not die on that particular day before the began to pray for him.
I know this is the "Ask Knight" thread but I can't resist...

I'd say it was neither.

The doctors were wrong (which happens pretty much every day), God does not have a particular day in mind for our deaths, and your friends family, while well intentioned and I'm sure quite sincere were acting in ignorance of God's plan for this dispensation.

Resting in Him,
Clete

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Again, healing was a sign, a credential for the apostles.

There is no longer a need for a credential of that sort.

Can you give me scriptures, other than 1Cor 12-14 which you already gave, that speak of those gifts being specifically for that time and not ours? You do not need to write them out, just the references will do. Thanks.

Kevin

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Clete said:

I'd say it was neither.

The doctors were wrong (which happens pretty much every day), God does not have a particular day in mind for our deaths, and your friends family, while well intentioned and I'm sure quite sincere were acting in ignorance of God's plan for this dispensation.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Clete,

In that situation you the doctors may have been wrong and a healing never occured, but there are stories of cancer and tumors disappearing. Are the doctors wrong again? Did the cancer or tumor never exist? Or are the stories fabrications?

Kevin

The Berean

Clete said:

I'd say it was neither.

Resting in Him,
Clete

And what is God's plan for "this dispensation"? :think: This man was near death. When a man is on life support and cannot breath on his own that a pretty sign he is not well. Are you saying that God doesn't know when a person is going to die? :think:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
Knight,
again, can you give a few examples of when people were turned away from God as a result of miracles? I do believe that miracles aren't good for building faith, but I'm having trouble thinking of times when people actually turned away from God as a result of witnessing miracles.

Kevin

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
kmoney said:
Clete,

In that situation you the doctors may have been wrong and a healing never occured, but there are stories of cancer and tumors disappearing. Are the doctors wrong again? Did the cancer or tumor never exist? Or are the stories fabrications?

Kevin
Perhaps some of all of these but I would point out that no such case has ever been confirmed. They are universally anicdotal and every time you press for details that could be confirmed you never get them. So I believe most if not all of them are indeed fabrications or cases in which the parties fooled themselves into believing something that wasn't real.

Resting in Him,
Clete

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
Perhaps some of all of these but I would point out that no such case has ever been confirmed. They are universally anicdotal and every time you press for details that could be confirmed you never get them. So I believe most if not all of them are indeed fabrications or cases in which the parties fooled themselves into believing something that wasn't real.

Resting in Him,
Clete
Thanks

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight
Do you also not believe in people being water baptized?
Do you believe in being baptized in the holy spirit? If so, what do you believe comes with that baptism?

Kevin

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Berean said:
I agree with that. However, when I pray for God to have mercy on a loved one and heal that person I know I don't have the gift of healing. In the NT the Apostles who healed didn't pray to God for healing. God gave them the gift to be used as authentication of their apostleship. They simply touched them and they were healed. A good friend of mine has a father who is diabetic. A few years ago he became severally ill, so much so that the doctors called my friend to have him come down to say goodbye because his father was going to die in a matter of hours. Well, my friend his family went down to the hospital and they prayed for his father. His father recovered and left the hospital three days later. His father went from near death to leaving the hospital in three days?! The doctors were stunned. They had no explanation. Now either God responded to the prayers of my friend and his family or it was already God's will that his father would not die on that particluar day before the began to pray for him.
This same type of great "miraculous" stuff happens all the time to Hindus, Muslims, Agnostics, Wiccans, Atheists and even devil worshippers.

Conversely many (most) Christians prayers for healings go unanswered.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Berean said:
And what is God's plan for "this dispensation"? :think: This man was near death. When a man is on life support and cannot breath on his own that a pretty sign he is not well. Are you saying that God doesn't know when a person is going to die? :think:
Maybe your prayers were answered. Maybe your prayers gave this man the strength to fight instead of give up. Many cancers, injuries and other diseases are beatable by the human body but its takes awesome strength by the patient to hang-on while the body fights.

I assert that it is very possible your prayers were answered yet not in the way you have envisioned them.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
kmoney said:
Knight,
again, can you give a few examples of when people were turned away from God as a result of miracles? I do believe that miracles aren't good for building faith, but I'm having trouble thinking of times when people actually turned away from God as a result of witnessing miracles.

Kevin
I strongly suggest you get The Plot of the Bible the single greatest Bible tool (in my humble opinion).

The Plot lists every single miracle contained in the Bible and every single result of each miracle and it becomes blazingly clear that men tend to reject the truth when it is presented in such a clear way as in a miracle.

In the meantime you could read Miracle Dynamics just as a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.