Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We have made some changes to our hosting configuration based on this issue. Let me know if it begins to work within the next 48 hours or so.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Knight,

This happened a while ago so not sure if you will remember, but....Do you remember which thread you and lovemeorhateme had the discussion about homosexuality where he changed his view and was going to start trying to overcome it?

I've been searching all over the place and can't find it. :bang:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
genuineoriginal said:
It is working now. Thanks!
No no no... thank you!!!!

Had it not been for you (and Bob Enyart who also had this problem) I would not have discovered a somewhat major configuration problem.

When Bob told me about this problem he was having with Comcast I told him is was most likely his fault and he should be ashamed of himself. ;)

But when you told me you had the same issue I knew something must be wrong on my end. Two witnesses are better than one. :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Knight said:
When Bob told me about this problem he was having with Comcast I told him is was most likely his fault and he should be ashamed of himself. ;)
:crackup:

Mr. 5020

Knight, another forum, that I will not name (think gay avatars), has a system where a thread splits automatically after 1000 posts (and closes the old thread). Does that somehow help with speed of the server? If so, have you ever considered that?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
Knight, another forum, that I will not name (think gay avatars), has a system where a thread splits automatically after 1000 posts (and closes the old thread). Does that somehow help with speed of the server? If so, have you ever considered that?
That might be good. And at the end of part 1 there's a link to part 2, and at the beginning of part 2 there's a link to part 1, and so on, right?

Last weekend I tried to split a thread with about 3000 posts and I couldn't because the thread was too big. I ended up having to copy the existing thread into a dark, quiet forum, then selectively prune posts by users until the thread was down to a workable size so I could finish the split the normal way.

It was very tedious, and in writing this I just remembered that I never got around to deleting the spun-off posts from the original thread (which I will have to do manually, again because of the size) and reopening the thread (which I'd temporarily closed while working on the split). :doh:

I guess I have some work to do. :sigh: :D

Mr. 5020

Turbo said:
That might be good. And at the end of part 1 there's a link to part 2, and at the beginning of part 2 there's a link to part 1, and so on, right?
That is correct. *looking for such a thread there now*

This is what the last post in the old thread looks like:
Old Thread Closed

<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> This thread was split automatically after 1000 replies and this thread has been automatically closed.

The new thread automatically created is here: "Thread Title w/ Link"
This is what the first post in the new thread would look like:

Thread Title (2)

This thread was split automatically after 1000 replies and this thread has been automatically created.

The old thread automatically closed is here: "Thread Title w/ Link"
Hope that helps!

fool

Hall of Fame
They got a robot does that thread splitting.
He tells ya about alot of stuff there, he's an administrative robot.
You can talk to him in one thread that's dedicated to that and he responds as fast as your post comes up.
By that I mean you click "post reply" and your post and his response appear simultaneously.
He's a real good speller too.
You should teach the goat to do that.
If there really is a goat :think:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
King Frog said:
Knight,
Have you heard from Lighthousebeacon? I need to talk to him ASAP.
No... I haven't seen or heard from him in awhile.

His last TOL post was on May 15th.

Let us know if you hear from him, we miss him.

Minerva

Ok, at the bottom of the User CP page it says something to the effect of "User does not belong to any public groups" What groups would this be refering to , and where might they be found? FYI _ I did try first to research this myself so as not to waste your time, however, I am either blind or it's secret..haha

fool

Hall of Fame
Is there a way you could run a wire over to the BEL forum that would take us to KGOV?
Maybe mount a button on the wall there, they got a button at KGOV that takes ya here, but other than actually typeing it or clicking a favorite or finding a post by Bob and useing the button in his sig ya can't get back.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
fool said:
Is there a way you could run a wire over to the BEL forum that would take us to KGOV?
Maybe mount a button on the wall there, they got a button at KGOV that takes ya here, but other than actually typeing it or clicking a favorite or finding a post by Bob and useing the button in his sig ya can't get back.
Well, we do have a KGOV button on the TOL home page.

However, I do like your idea. Let me work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.