Ask an Aussie

99lamb

A simple key to Understanding that funny language spoken by the Aussie:

Swagman

A swagman or swaggie was (and is) someone wandering the Australian bush, tramping from town to town, farmhouse to farmhouse, usually, but not necessarily, looking for work. In particular, during the Great Depression, unemployed men would do this, frequently working for a meal, or begging the boss for a ‘killer’, a sheep to butcher. In the UK, he might be referred to as a tramp; in the US, his equivalent is the hobo or bum. The swag is a bedroll.

Billabong

A billabong is a branch of a river that has been cut off and forms a long pool of still water.

Coolibah Tree (also Coolabah)

A hard-wooded Eucalypt (Eucalyptus Microtheca) that grows particularly well on seasonally inundated country around swamps, billabongs and lagoons and in open belts along watercourses.

Billy

Apart from his bedroll, the one absolutely essential item that a swagman carried was his billy – a ½ gallon (2 litre) can with wire handle, which might be home-made. A shop-bought billy (still readily available) has a fitted metal lid. Water was boiled in the billy and a handful of tea leaves thrown in.

Waltzing Matilda

This is perhaps the most idiosyncratic term to explain, as it has not been familiar usage in Australia for decades. Matilda was the swaggy’s affectionate name for his swag. The swag was usually tied at each end and looped over the shoulder, so that it hung diagonally across the chest or back. This may have represented the close embrace of the waltz to some (many swagmen were reputed to be mad), so the man was taking his partner on a dance around the country. It also spoke of the lack of feminine company in the lives of these loners.

Jumbuck

A jumbuck is a slang expression for a sheep. According to the Australian National Dictionary, the word is itself a corruption of Aboriginal English. As the original population tried to make sense of these new creatures, they named them ‘Jump ups’.

Tucker bag

A tucker bag is any bag (usually an old sugar or flour bag) in which food is carried. Tucker is Australian slang for food – the word is probably associated with the English word ‘tuck’ as in ‘tuck in’ (eat up, ‘tuckshop’ (school canteen)

Squatter

The squatter was a wealthy landholder who usually owned thousands of acres. In the early days of the colony, farmland was claimed by marking out an area and ‘squatting’ on it. Later, such claims were formalised or re-distributed or sold piecemeal.

Troopers

Troopers, as the modern meaning of the word suggests, were an early mounted police force, recruited and led by former British military officers. One of their principal duties was protecting the far-flung squatters.

Chorus (as above) To non-Australians , it must seem strange that this much-loved Australian song does not refer to the land itself, but rather mourns the suicide of a thieving vagabond. Nevertheless, it somehow speaks to the strong anti-authoritarian and independence streak in the Australian psyche, as it represents the battler struggling against the wealthy and being one with the Australian bush.

https://suite.io/james-parsons/1dmb203

fzappa13

Australia is still a part of the Commonwealth (under England's Rule) and so our Govt, laws etc are based on those of England.

Yeah, the louts ran off all those pesky Scotch/Irish trouble makers and then tried to tell them what to do. They tried the same thing here in the U.S.

Thunder's Muse

Yeah, the louts ran off all those pesky Scotch/Irish trouble makers and then tried to tell them what to do. They tried the same thing here in the U.S.

Yeah, it's a debate that raises it's head now and then.

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Koalas...do you seriously consider those bears? Or is it more of a Chucky sort of evil parody of one.

Friend of mine has a dog so huge his name is Bear :chuckle:

I house sitted for a week, and one day I woke up and couldn't find the dog. I looked all over the place- inside and out, in the woods, asked the neighbors...

Upon walking back in, I heard a noise. The dog was stuck in the bathroom because he was so huge- he was wedged between the door and the wall. I had to take the hinges off to get him out LOL

#Kujo

Thunder's Muse

I house sitted for a week, and one day I woke up and couldn't find the dog. I looked all over the place- inside and out, in the woods, asked the neighbors...

Upon walking back in, I heard a noise. The dog was stuck in the bathroom because he was so huge- he was wedged between the door and the wall. I had to take the hinges off to get him out LOL

#Kujo

Haha! Poor Poppett

Posted from the TOL App cause that's how I roll.

fzappa13

#Kujo

Canis Minor?